We Should Have Seen This Coming: Telepath Released

By Craig Pearson on February 20th, 2012 at 5:34 pm.

We're through the scriving glass here, people
Is it a coincidence that turn-based RPG Telepath RPG: Servants of God was released on Feb 14th, 2012? 20 divided by 12 is 1.666666666666667. Basically 1.6. What’s the multiplication symbol? An ‘x’. How else is ‘x’ used? When we say things like ‘an x number of boats’. So if we were to say an ‘x number of 16 (derived by multiplying 1.6 by ten) we get ‘a 20 of 16′. If you remove the ‘a’ and ‘of’, you get 2016. Ghostbuster’s II predicted that the world would end on Valentine’s day, 2016. What could this mean? It means the Middle-Eastern flavoured tactical treat Telepath is out now, obviously.

Pondering playing a text heavy, lore thick strategy game? The demo is here, although it needs Adobe Air to install, but it’s a generous lump of game.

You know what else is generous? The freely available earlier games in the series.

, , , , .

1. qrter says:

Personally, I’d go for 1.67 or 1.7, but not 1.6 ..

2. SiN says:

RPS + Crack = Win

3. Demiath says:

Have only played around 2 hours of it so far but it’s a really ambitious title which should appeal to fans of story-heavy RPGs and turn-based gameplay. The tactical combat scenarios are accessible and on a manageable scale without at the same time becoming too easy, there are quite a few upgradable stats and powers to mess around with and also some fairly sensible penalties for playing sloppily. Despite a potentially heavy-handed theme, the dialogue is enjoyable – with the exception of a Suzanne Vega reference delivered with all the subtlety of a nuclear holocaust – and the infrequent but professional voice acting is certainly a whole lot better than what you’d expect from a small indie production.

4. Icyicy9999 says:

I know this is completely offtopic and inappropriate but please tell me if you have a GW2 story coming now that the NDA is lifted.

Please? You’re the only site I trust these days.

5. malkav11 says:

Adobe Air? Ewwwwwww.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I don’t even know what that is, but anytime I install anything “adobe” I have to deep clean my PC and she says it tickles.

• Vinraith says:

What’s wrong with Air? I know the GOG downloader uses it, and I think I have it installed for another game, though I can’t recall which one. Seems harmless enough, what don’t I know?

bglamb says:

I think Air is just used to deliver Flash without a browser.

If you’ve ever installed anything else by Adobe, you’ll have Air too most likely.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

And that’s the problem. The software itself isn’t harmful, probably, but please ask before installing something next time. If I don’t know what software does or why it got installed, I remove it.
      Main problem I’ve had with Adobe is the updater that installs and runs on start up.

• InternetBatman says:

I think Air gets a bad name because the LoL screen in between games is Adobe Air, and it’s just messy. All of my friends who play LoL have had moments where air freezes or doesn’t exit or what have while the game is still sort of running in the background.

• malkav11 says:

Air is fine for some purposes – it seems to do okay for the GoG downloader and the Gamefly client. But it is terribly unsuited to games.

phuzz says:

You’ll want to let that updater do it’s thing, if you’re going to pick up some driveby malware it’ll be through a hole in flash or acrobat.
      That said I kill the updater in the registry, and download the latest version of the installer every time they release, but that’s part of my job.

deadfolk says:

To GoG downloader USED to use Air. I had nothing but problems with it. They rewrote it last year, and it’s much better without it. Not sure what it’s written in now.

jrodman says:

Adobe Air is a .. lightweight programming environment. The main idea is you can build things quickly.

The problems with it are:

– it’s pretty inefficient, which is a combination of a sort of overpromise of vector based development, and bad programming on adobe’s part
      – a fake promise of portability. It works iffy on windows, poorly on mac, and is a total turd on linux (and cancelled on linux, to boot)
      – as a result of the fake portabilty, your code is essentially locked to adobe forever, there’s no easy port out of it
      – it has security problems, like other related adobe flash things
      – it may tend to run down your batteries or spin up your fans

For many gamers, none of these are a dealbreaker. I’ve bought multiple Air games myself. But overall, developers, please choose a framework you have a bit more control over? SDL isn’t really much harder, for example.

• Craig Stern says:

“your code is essentially locked to adobe forever, there’s no easy port out of it”

I haven’t noticed any of the other issues myself, so I can’t comment on them, but this bit is definitely not true. AIR is just a way of compiling the game: the code itself doesn’t change at all.

6. Enzo says:

Looks terrible.

7. WMain00 says:

Quite obviously what all this means is that Half Life 3 will be released on the 21st December 2012.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November, the day Gabe Newell announced Halflife 3 in 2012.

8. Swanny says:

I find it ironic that you can see less in a fight, than you can whilst wandering around. Move the camera out a bit!
    Also- synchronised capes flapping is creepy.
    Still going to play it hough.

9. db1331 says:

I’d like to take this opportunity to thread jack and ask when we are going to get some GW2 beta impressions.

10. Vinraith says:

Looks outstanding. How important is it to play the earlier titles before tackling this one? I don’t generally get on well with browser games.

• Demiath says:

I haven’t checked out any of the developer’s browser games, but Servants of God seems pretty self-contained both in terms of story and gameplay mechanics so there should be no need to play the older stuff.

• Craig Stern says:

You don’t need to have played any of the earlier titles, though you’ll have more of an appreciation for the world and some of its history if you’ve played Chapter 2. I’d suggest avoiding Chapter 1 entirely.

• Vinraith says:

@Craig

Straight from the man himself, thanks for the reply! I’ll try to fight down my allergy to browser games (not the games themselves, really, but the “temporary” feel of playing in a browser window) and give 2 a proper look.

• MrPyro says:

I played 2 and it is a pretty good game. When I actually have some free time I’ll probably pick this up.

Rinox says:

Iorveth?

12. Nick says:

2016!

13. Wizardry says:

This looks like it could be pretty interesting. It’s good to see more turn-based RPGs. I’ll have to check it out once I get a bit more time to play games as my workload has picked up recently.

14. Neurotic says:

Pearson you silly man you, no apostrophe in Ghostbusters as a film title.

15. roflchops says:

I’m all for turn based rpgs, but this looks hideous. Some of the art looks as though it was drawn by a 8 year old. Also what’s the deal with flash ? This looks and plays like any browser game, except it’s not. What’s the point of using flash in this case ?
    Oh and most importantly: 25$ for this ? Is it for real ? This is a 5$ game at best.

• Craig Stern says:

This is very much for real. You should play through the demo: there’s a lot of depth here, if you’re willing to look past the visuals.

• roflchops says:

I did play the demo, hence my reaction. A lot of it looks very amateurish, not just the visuals.

• wodin says:

No it’s no terrible and certainly doesn’t look like an 8 year old had drawn it. You just don’t like the art style. No need to rubbish it totally.

I’d have preferred to see the bodies hit the floor and some blood though, rather than them just disappearing into thin air, that more than anything is the immersion killer.

• JoeyJungle says:

I think that this game looks awesome, but I agree $25 is a bit pricey. It’s a catch-22 that lots of indie games have (especially the niche matrix strategy games). Because he’s not on steam he needs a higher price to make up for the lower amount of sales that come with not being on a major distribution platform, but because it’s a bit high less people can afford to buy it.

Anyway, I love the idea and if it goes on sale for $15 I’m down. Also I just got the demo, and if I totally fall in love with it I’ll be buying it regardless of price.

• cheeba says:

I think the main problem with the visuals is just that it’s impossible to make directly-overhead graphics really appealing. The best you’ll get is kind of functional looking. There’s a reason even old NES RPGs skewed their perspectives more.

That said, I’m pretty sure the developer’s aware of this and is planning to fix this problem for the next game, I think I remember him on here saying that.

• Demiath says:

@JoeyJungle The whole “this game must have a certain price tag because it is not on Steam” argument seems a bit arbitrary to me. It’s entirely reasonable that a sizeable indie RPG which includes many hours of combat, dialogue and customization costs more than, say, 10 bucks precisely because it is a sizeable indie RPG with lots of content. Whether it’s on a particular digital distribution platform is neither here nor there as far as I’m concerned – it’s not like the developer’s website sinisterdesign.net is any more difficult to access than steampowered.com.

16. hypercrisis says:

is craig actually going insane? these increasingly nonsensical ramblings are getting disconcerting

17. Davie says:

Good lord, I remember playing this in its original form on Newgrounds years ago. Worth another shot, I say!

18. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I knew you were going to say that.

19. Rawrian says:

Top-down view? Last time I saw it, it was, uhm… Into the Eagle’s Nest? Probably there’s a good reason it’s not used. Also funny thing, that music in the trailer is from some Russian opera.