Pecubular Combat: Cube World

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 3:20 pm.

He is hitting a skellington with a bone axe, which is like hitting a man with a flesh sword

Last time I looked at Cube World, Wollay had added adorable pet dogs which officially meant that anyone doubtful of the game’s potential was probably called Norman ‘Pessimist-Pants’ Naysay. Sure enough, it’s a popular name and people started to chunner about the combat looking too simplistic for their refined tastes. Behold, a new video that shows several different weapons and their functions, as well as some grin-stretching customisation. It doesn’t look deep and it doesn’t look tactical; it looks like splashing about somewhat haphazardly in a shallow pool filled with something that’s sugary, delicious and somehow filled with vitamins.

If I can customise my character’s facial hair as well as his weapons, nothing more need be added.

Unless…can a dog even have customisable moustaches and beard?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. NaN says:

Do we know why finally this guy didn’t join evil Mojang?

• milkmansrevenge says:

I believe it was because he would rather be independent. See Notch’s tweet.

• NaN says:

oh I see… THANKS!
      Game looks fantastic tough, I hope he finish it soon.

• sneetch says:

The “moving to Sweden” part of the job offer may have a lot to do with it too. I have to say I admire him for staying independant, I hope it pays off for him.

• Jannissary says:

I can only imagine he hopes his game will be better.

Not DO better (probably impossible), but BE better. And this looks like it’ll be Minecraft: The Game, for those of us who thought we were getting a little more than an empty sandbox. I look forwards to this.

• pasdcvbc says:

Finally, a game that seems to subscribe to the “Disgaea” school of thought: if I make low-detail retro graphics, I can make disgustingly awesome animations! That combat looks like a blast, and I’m sure it can be built on a lot for higher-level conflicts. http://ho.io/3154

2. GallonOfAlan says:

The little Zarch-style minimap is enough to sell me on it.

3. sneetch says:

That’s looking rather sweet! It leaves me with a terrible dilemma though; dwarf or orc?

4. Urthman says:

That’s a lot of combat. I hope that’s just for demonstration purposes and the actual game doesn’t have monsters attacking you every five steps you take in the game world.

5. RF says:

I AM THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING

6. Uglycat says:

I give it 5 days before somebody mods in the Replicators.

7. Jesse L says:

Looks excellent in slow-mo!

Useless comment: I want to play Realm of the Mad God in this engine.

8. Kilometrik says:

:S Still looks boring. INCREDIBLY boring. The hits have no effect on the enemy except the visual feedback of numbers flying about. There’s little to no way of avoid enemy attacks because most attacks are faster than the way you move/dodge. If i want buttonmashing combat i want it to be at least AS GOOD (if not more) than God Hand or DMC. THose japanese fellows sure know how to do good combat (at least platinum games does). Too bad they don’t develop for the PC. >_>

• dontnormally says:

It looks really nice, but in the end, this.

All the attacks feel like paper on paper – almost nothing is happening.
      I want bits flying in all directions; cube-baddies exploding in pixels, parts piling up.

9. wodin says:

The haters gonna hate and the moaners gonna moan..it was a combat demo…not a full gameplay demo.

Give it a rest for godsake.

10. El_MUERkO says:

I’m not sure about the shading on the blocks, it kind of hurts my eyes.

11. misterT0AST says:

Frankly, I love the idea behind this game, a procedurally generated rpg, but I don’t like the blocky graphics.
    I mean, it does look gorgeous, much more beautiful than Minecraft, but I don’t understand why it has to be cubes.
    Everyone is going to compare it to Minecraft, I can already hear ignorant kids shouting it’s a ripoff, and I don’t understand why.
    Wouldn’t it be just awesome to leave behind all those cubes and just have an infinite world rpg that looks like a proper modern game?

As it is, it doesn’t FEEL like a completely original idea, people will consider it
    “Minecraft, without the creative part, and with levelling up”.

If they were to make it look completely different from Minecraft, with some curves maybe, people wouldn’t be able to make that comparison, or even see the big influence it had. They would just say it’s
    “a procedurally generated RPG”

And that, to me, is important: 1- nobody would dismiss it as a Minecraft ripoff after seeing a screenshot (first impression matters) 2- people would realize the incredible innovation of this game as it would be the most prominent feature (a procedurally generated rpg!) 3- if this game has success can you imagine bigger developers, maybe even AAA companies making a game of this kind??? An INFINITELY HUGE Diablo, an INIFINETLY HUGE Skyrim, an INFINITELY HUGE Zombie Island?

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah I really don’t understand why devs don’t just make their games better.

• sassy says:

Not only does this style make it much easier to generate interesting worlds, it also makes making graphics easy (which the developer may not be any good at graphics).

The simple thing right now is Minecraft sells, it sells crazy amounts. Things that are compared to Minecraft sell, they sell crazy amounts as well. Do you think Terraria would have been anywhere near as successful if people hadn’t been (wrongly) calling it a 2D Minecraft? How bout Fortresscraft? ATM being compared is free sales and advertising, big business want that but to an indie that seems pretty irresistible

• gorzan says:

The blockyness is obviously a throwback to older times, I can’t look at it without going nostaligic, and that’s great.

12. hypercrisis says:

This is pretty much the game I hoped minecraft would become

13. SketchyGalore says:

The big thing that made me squeal though? That customization! Voxel by voxel weapon upgrades! Genius!

I can’t wait to try this diablo/zelda/minecraft.

Comment on this story