The Secret World Opens Up On June 19th

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2012 at 5:09 pm.

This is how the world will look by June

The Secret World, Funcom’s modern day, pop culture-infused MMORPG, has just been given an official release date of June 19th. It’s a little later than some may have been expecting but it does provide plenty of time for some public beta testing. Although no dates for any opening of the beta have been provided, Ragnar Tørnquist, Funcom’s creative director and itinerary planner of the most lengthy journeys, had this to say: “The additional time will also allow us to carry out even more quality beta testing, and soon we will also be announcing several public beta events where hundreds of thousands of gamers will get to test the game prior to launch.” We’ve already played the game and spoken to the chaps behind it, and will have more coverage soon.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. poena.dare says:

Can anyone tell me if an EA Origin account is *required* to play?

• the_nell_87 says:

I don’t see why it would. EA are simply the publishers here. They have no connection to Funcom, and Funcom’s MMOs have always had their own account system.

• ShrikeMalakim says:

I can tell you that from highly reliable sources that EA has nothing to do with the beta other than a splash logo during startup. No Origin in sight.

• pasdcvbc says:

Eh, I’ll wait for it to go free-to-play. It doesn’t take long nowadays. http://ho.io/3154

• mondomau says:

That’s the spirit!

2. Lev Astov says:

I’m pretty excited for the Secret World, but that picture is really bothering me. Something about it is really messing with me. Is it just me or is her mouth way too far below her eyes? I certainly hope that’s just a one-off face generator quirk.

• Telzis says:

The picture irritates me, too, but in my case it’s more the nearly concave stomach and apparent lack of internal organs.

• DuddBudda says:

apart from the model’s flaws it des kinda show up TOR and GWII’s five year old visuals as the kindergarten scribbles they really are
      I’m not saying SW looks like crysis, but at least it won’t embarass my gpu

• JackShandy says:

Dudbuddha you crazy. Guild Wars 2 looks magnificent.

• Oof says:

The face doesn’t bother me. The “gutted” look, does. Push those aside for the moment: does anyone think her right arm looks a bit… tiny?

3. Blackcompany says:

I am very impressed with the concept behind this MMO. That whole hidden world theme is one I think needs a lot more exploring in the world of gaming.
    The only worry I have here is this still seems to be a combat-intensive MMO, and it still seems to utilize the same old hot key, stand-in-place-and-slap combat of MMO’s past. I hope I am wrong here, of course, because I want to like this game. I really do. But that silly hot key combat from years ago is simply more than I can take in a game.

• ShrikeMalakim says:

Stand-in-place and slap combat is likely to get you killed in TSW. While abilities are still on hotkeys, timing is more important than just hitting the same ability over and over. Movement will almost invariably be preferable to standing still, and there is no penalty for movement.

• Blackcompany says:

Nice to hear. Saw the same thing in relation to GW2. Someone posted a video. Going to be a busy year.
      Everyone said 2011 was the best year for gaming in some time. Personally, I think 2012 is shaping up to be a better year for those of us who game exclusively on PC.

• CobraFive says:

Hm I dunno its still my biggest concern. In the gameplay trailers it mostly looks like them standing in a semi-circle hitting the badguy with sledgehammers over and over and sometimes doing a shiny special move with fire.

They keep saying combat is going to be totally different but they said that about AoC too, and I dunno, the combo thing isn’t to different then any other MMOs skill rotation.

4. Valvarexart says:

What payment/subscription model will they use? Buy the game once, play forever, like Guild Wars? Buy and then pay every month, like World of Warcraft? Free to play?

• sneetch says:

Edit: woah, I’m very sorry, I got my threads completely mixed up somehow and I though this was the GW2 thread. Sadly Secret World has a subscription and a cash shop. It’s the best of both (Secret) Worlds for Funcom. :(

• Valvarexart says:

This is awesome news, for me! That means that I will actually be buying and playing the game =D

• diamondmx says:

I was kind of looking forward to a beta invite, but a sub + cash shop (for vanity and convenience items) is a no-go for me.

GW2 it is.

For me, the vanity items are a bit distasteful, but it’s a simple fact that to introduce convenience items, there must be inconvenience, by design. That is bad design, and it is all about straddling the line of just inconvenient enough to push players towards the shop, but not so inconvenient that they rage quit – the idea being that non-cash-shopping players should be always on the knife edge of irritation towards the game.

• Miltrivd says:

Wow, sub + cash shop. Well, I gotta be grateful when they make it so easy to say no. I was looking forward to it, but I’m all against subscription, for one I never know if I would have enough time to play it to make worth the money, for my available free time there are other games as well, and over here the dollar/pound is worth a lot more, so it’s fairly more expensive than for someone from the US/Europe.

As diamondmx said, GW2 it is! :D

• Chris D says:

In principle I don’t have a problem with either subscription or free-to-play models, though in practice it may put me off. Trying to use both at the same time doesn’t seem on though. You can sell me a house or you can charge me rent but you don’t get to do both.

No, poor show Funcom, I hope you see the error of your ways because it looks like it could be an interesting game.

Now if only there was some other game on the horizon threatening to devour my entire social life.

5. FecesOfDeath says:

Nice to see a brunette Gwyneth Paltrow in the game.

6. ninjapirate says:

Like with SWTOR, subscriptions are a reason for me to avoid the game. I blame Guild Wars, and the upcoming Guild Wars 2 in particular.

7. MadMinstrel says:

MMO-shmememo. Can we please move on to the next TLJ now?

8. CobraFive says:

Eh, I’ll wait for it to go free-to-play. It doesn’t take long nowadays.

9. Rii says:

Is that a full-length M16? How quaint.

10. Ezhar says:

I really hope Funcom learnt their lessons in launching MMOs from their past clusterfucks. In 2001 Anarchy Online launched and it crashed when just turning your character around, which took them almost a year (!) to fix. In 2008 Age of Conan launched with missing/broken content, crashes and a client that ran like a squished snail even on high-end PCs. I want them to succeed, but I think I’ll wait and see how the launch goes.

• trjp says:

That…

I did the AO launch and it was a total nightmare – and not only did it take forever to get things working, they insisted on changing stuff against the wishes of the players ‘because it fitted into their narrative’ or whatever.

For that reason I was a latecomer to AOC and when I did get there (about a year after launch) I had a thoroughly enjoyable month before realising it was getting grindy and I quit. It was decent tho – one of the better MMOs I’ve tried (the community was especially pleasant on the server I played on).

11. RF says:

I’d love to play The Secret World…

Except for their usage of social networkings for a shit tonne of exclusive items.

I don’t roll that way.

• Brun says:

This. I am a closet gamer, keep social stuff out of my games please.

12. SkittleDiddler says:

Why oh why does this have to be an MMO? I’d be interested otherwise.

equatorian says:

I really want to play this, I really do. This and GW2 are the first MMOs I’ve ever wanted to play ever since the promise of UO way back when.

But the cash shop. For convenience items. That’s just no. Grinding is exactly why I don’t play MMOs, and the fact that you have ‘convenience’ for sale just belies the existence of Grind. It’s really sad because everything else looks so LOVELY, but I guess they have to figure out something to keep people paying for the subscription.

(If it has no grind and the convenience items are just there for people who REALLY have no time and just want to get on with the plot, do tell—not that they can keep anyone from abusing it if that’s the case, though.)

14. ChainsawCharlie says:

Zero interested in the game, but I hope it does well. Also hoping that Funcom would do another adventure game.

Comptess says:

Looking forward to it, but I feel like I’m going to be disappointed…

I don’t mind the sub and I don’t even mind the cash shop as long as it isn’t shoved in my face every 5 mins, which is what put me off LotR online.

I abhor their facebook fascination and I’m not really seeing anything that doesn’t suggest it’s all about end game (yawn).

So I’m glad it’s not coming out until June, which will give me more time to make my mind up.

16. Nethlem says:

I’m not suprised they are taking their time with this one…
    AoC had been a horrible horrible unfinished mess at launch, while playing the game you could actually feel how you played trough it faster then they could build/finish it.

But i doubt TSW will be any different…