You May Enter The Realm Of The Mad God Via Steam

By Craig Pearson on February 21st, 2012 at 10:26 am.

Loot, glorious loot!

Somewhere along the line, cooperative MMO bullet hell shooter Realm of the Mad God became a real thing. I was looking the other way when it happened, perhaps getting a haircut that required my head to be pointing in exactly the opposite direction, otherwise I’d have noticed and not had to rewrite this opening paragraph where I’d previously claimed it was being released now. So, yeah: Wild Shadow‘s magnificently silly bullet-hell based MMO is now out on Steam, rather than just being released for the first time. Alec has written so many words on the game that I’ll refer anyone looking for actual details to those. Or if you prefer video, I have that below via another cynical Brit. It’s good, it’s free, it’s frighteningly compulsive and the Steam version ties into the web-version, so you can continue progress from one to the other.

So, like, WTF is Realm of the Mad God? Total Biscuit will save me.

Realm of the Mad God now, and it has been for quite some time. Ahem.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. AmateurScience says:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng…must…not…click…link.

ROTMG articles should come with a health warning…

• siegarettes says:

Indeed they should.

All that was stopping me from playing this for hours was my bias against those damn fullscreen refusing browser windows. Now that the problem has been eliminated and its been integrated with Steam I’m going to lose myself…

• jimmm25 says:

Dont worry about playing too much of it because it seems that every person who has ever played it have all been reminded of it at the same time, so now the servers seem to be dying.

• siegarettes says:

Whenever a boss battle occurs the hordes of bullet spitting players chokes the server up some amazingly.

• LTK says:

Oh gods, you’re right. Just looking at that pixelly warrior guy and the loot bags makes all those little shoot-and-loot synapses in my brain fire in anticipation. Resist!!

2. Clavus says:

I remember playing an old version of this game ages ago. Nice to see how it evolved.

• Echo Black says:

Yeah, I played the shit out of it a long, long time ago. I never got nowhere as excited about it as Alec did. :/

• siegarettes says:

Its amazing to see games like this evolve out of the TIGSource community. Spelunky, Eufloria, and RotMG are all doing well. Plus this tileset sure has been popular amongst indie game makers.

• Grey Ganado says:

@siegarettes:
      The tileset was an entry to the same TIGJam which spawned RotMG.

3. Spazzo says:

Sadly the steam port seemed to have issues with it bugging out and forgetting you’ve let go of a button, annoying.

4. MonkeyMonster says:

Mad god indeed if they think making a game work on the web – say while your’re at work – then tying into the steam version when you get home… mad I tell you…
    *sob*
    bugger.

5. golem09 says:

Too bad the game is stretched in fullscreen :( so I’ll stay with my blown up browser version with modded full-fullscreen.

• MuscleHorse says:

Are you talking about the full-screen from the options or are you just hitting the expand button on the top right? My game seems fine using the options one.

• OBNOXIOUSNAME says:

My game stretches no matter which way I make it fullscreen. Loving it though!

6. roguewombat says:

Kept hearing this “click, click, click, click” in the video and then noticed his cursor goin’ crazy… dude needs to learn about the T key. Don’t miss it.

7. celozzip says:

very pleased to see my steam account linked with my web account too. it just needs widescreen support and a crosshair cursor.