CS: GO, GO, GO: Full Beta, New Weapons And Maps

By Craig Pearson on February 22nd, 2012 at 10:15 am.

John's aim has improved
I was rather close to falling down a deep, dark Counter-Strike hole just after the Counter-Strike:Global Offensive launched in November, but a broken PC released me from a frightening future of constant de_dust2 battles and crying about how unfair it is. I’d actually forgotten I had it until Valve and Hidden Path updated it this week, switching from a stress test to a big-assed closed beta, with over 80 tweaks. The big changes are the addition of three reworked classic maps, de_inferno, de_train, and de_nuke, and new guns, the Nova shotgun, the Bizon and the MP7 SMGs. But there’s more.

Any changes made to Counter-Strike brings more eyes, more opinions, than any other game I can think of, and Valve are using this as a real beta, not a marketing exercise. Aside from adding extra content, they’ve already altered the recoil twice: first according to CS pro Salvatore “Volcano” Garozzo’s tip that the recoil was too much and too difficult to control, and then shortly after when it was clear their tweak wasn’t nearly enough to help out player. CS: GO is an actual work-in-progress.

This pre-fiddle video shows the recoil’s original state, and it’s also a good demonstration of just how seriously people take the game and how difficult it is to balance: recoil is very tactile, the player works against it, pulling down and controlling the spread. It’s not just about changing numbers.

I have vague memories of caring about that, but they were brief and I was a pub player. But I do love that there are people around keeping track of it. Sure, it’ll never be quite the same game engine to engine, but I can leap from one version to another and not feel like I’ve been left behind. Anyway, there’s every chance of that hole opening up again and swallowing me feet first. I’ll knock together some short impressions if that does happen.

When’s it out? Not even Valve know, but the beta is expanding over the weeks. Good luck getting in.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. El_MUERkO says:

I’ve played CS more than any other online shooter but I’ve not played more than a few hours of it in the last four/five years. Frankly I like some of the advancements made if FPS’s since the launch of Counter-Strike and giving CS a lick of paint wont tempt me back to it. More importantly I cant see a new generation of players getting excited by it even if it is F2P.

2. Jockie says:

I’ve been in the beta since the start due to grabbing a key at the EG Expo. Sadly as someone who could only ever describe themselves as a ‘casual’ CS player, I can barely muster a kill – so far it seems to be exclusively populated by CS Ninjas.

Hopefully this next phase will populate it with people with a similar level of ability (ie. very little) to me.

3. Butler says:

Obligatory sort out the fucking hit boxes and bring back wallbanging and 1.6 is better than CSS post.

But seriously, if they brought back the ‘feel’ of 1.5 / 1.6 I’d drop the rather RPG/MMO saturated past 5 years in a flash.

• Psychopomp says:

The hitboxes actually make sense now, and the guns feel like a nice compromise between 1.6′s “stand still or you’ll never hit anything” and source’s lucky running headshots.

Also, crosshair is no longer just a vague idea of your spread, and is actually indicative of where you bullets will go :D

4. Milky1985 says:

They re-added the silencer for the M4 yet, need that damn thing myself as i got so used to the change in spray pattern with it equiped!

• Craig Pearson says:

Nope. I miss it, too.

• smeghamr says:

Are you saying you can’t silence the m4 on GO? That’s fucked up dude.

• McCool says:

The silencer needs to come back. Words cannot explain how much the silencer needs to come back. For me, it won’t feel like CS without it.

• milkmansrevenge says:

I’m pretty sure I heard in one of the interviews with Valve that it will be in the final version, they just haven’t put it in the beta yet. Unfortunately I don’t have time to find my source since I have watched many many interview :P

5. DeathRow says:

Time to wipe off the dust from my mouse pad and get cracking on this bitch….. unless it’s crap, then i’ll go back to me RPG’s.

P.S. If i were them I wouldn’t touch the damn recoil with 10 foot pole.

6. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

They will need to have a free weekend or two shortly after launch or this will . . tank? bomb? Are there any metaphors for failure that aren’t militaristic?

• bear912 says:

Well, I think they’re sticking fairly closely to the Counter-Strike formula. Even if there’s some recoil from the community, I don’t think it’s going to blow up in their face.

• Psychopomp says:

I have my doubts that the successor to the two most played shooters in the world will “bomb.”

7. phenom_x8 says:

I missed CS 1.4 (thats the last CS I played in 2002). In stake of feeling nostalgic, I tried the free to play CS brought by Nexon in my country since last month . I didnt know what version used as a based for this f2p version (I can assure you that its not based from the CS:S version), but I kinda feel all of its weapon a little too overpowered than 10 yrs ago. No to mention the silly zombie version they added to attract Point Blank players (popular CS clone for pre-teens), but sometimes I would be able to find decent matches that reminds me of the old times. I hope this will be accepted by majority of CS player out there, and not abandoned like CS:S !

• MuscleHorse says:

CS:S wasn’t abandoned – it still gets the odd update, not least the massive engine update along with achievements of last year.

Where does one go about signing up for the beta? Google isn’t helping me out.

• Psychopomp says:

CS:S is still the second most played game on Steam, how is that “abandoned?”

• phenom_x8 says:

Sorry about that, I was talking about CS:S situation in my own country. Its feel abandoned by majority of pro CS player or gaming cafe here (no gaming cafe installed them and there waS no CS:S World Cyber Game qualification tournament held for CS:S,only CS 1.6 )

8. arrjayjee says:

I want in the beta so bad, but not bad enough to go back to playing Source. It just never felt right to me.

9. Jabberslops says:

I see they still haven’t updated the position of the guns to look less silly.

10. Shadowcat says:

That’s a fantastic screen shot :) It makes me think:

“You serious? You’re really thinking about quitting?”

“The life?”

“Yeah.”

“Most definitely.”

“Oh, fuck. What’cha gonna do, man?”

“Well, that’s what I’ve been sitting here contemplating. First, I’m going to dis/arm this bomb, then, basically, I’m just going to walk the Earth.”

• ResonanceCascade says:

Judging from all the whining on the CS boards, I’d say that screenshot pretty much captured the current recoil in all its glory.

11. radioactivez0r says:

Volcano? I haven’t heard that name in years, but then I stopped following the top tier of CS a couple years back after everyone I worked with went off to new ventures as well. Strangely, I don’t miss the game that much, but the people….ah, memories.

12. buzzmong says:

I still miss Beta 7.1.

That was the glory time of CS in my eyes, with awesome maps like cs_747, cs_Backally, de_Survivor, de_Vertigo, de_Tides and cs_Siege.

I also liked de_Vegas, mostly because it was quite a fun if silly map.

• DrGonzo says:

Yes, 747 and Siege were my favourite maps. I even loved the buggy apc they put in there.

• Butler says:

Man that is some rose tinted shit right there. You could play all those maps in 1.4/5/6 without all the issues of the beta!

13. cunningmunki says:

My overriding memory of trying to get into CS a few years ago…

Spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, re-spawn, select weapon, die, esc, Exit Game.

14. genocode99 says:

got cs:go beta key from http://counterstrikeglobaloffensive.org