Edging Closer: The Journey Down Receives HD Remake

By John Walker on February 22nd, 2012 at 9:35 am.

But why aren't they African?

You may well remember the absolutely gorgeous The Journey Down: Over The Edge – a superb AGS adventure game by indie devs Skygoblin that not only surprised us with its splendid graphics, but also by being a point-and-clicker that really understood the genre. That was the first chapter in a series, and we’ve been looking forward to the second one for well over a year now. The bad news is, it’s not coming yet. The good news is, the first part has been remade as a commercial game, with swishy new graphics, and apparently lots of new content. You can still play the original chapter for free, and you can see how the new version is shaping up below.

The peculiar conflation of African art and Jamaican voices/stereotypes remains, which is equally confusing, but gosh it looks lovely. The story, based around a gas station owner attempting to explore the forbidden area known as The Edge, is instantly engaging. It took them five years to make the first AGS chapter, but this remake seems to have come about more promptly, with its commerical release next month. You can find out lots more details about the development of the project at Skygoblin’s blog.

Meanwhile, here’s the rather lovely new trailer:

This is one to watch. The original AGS game really was rather ace, and more than deserves commercial success.

, , , , .

1. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Never got round to playing the AGS game (though I do vaguely recall reading about it here). Guess I’ll wait for the commercial release and play it all nice and polished up.

2. The First Door says:

Well that is lovely news for a Wednesday morning! I adored the original, and that trailer really sells the remake.

3. Premium User Badge phlebas says:

Ooh, pretty! Does the commercial version have new content or is it a straight HD reskin? (just wondering whether it’s worth playing the free version now for a taste, given I’ll grab the commercial one once it’s released)

4. Stuart Walton says:

When I played the AGS version, I read the parts (in my head) with a Jamaican accent. My approximations weren’t far off the final voices. I’ll probably buy the new version because I have been waiting for part 2 for so long and really want to see it happen.

5. Premium User Badge jrodman says:

What is AGS?

• Igor Hardy says:

It’s a mirror that reflects the dark corners of our twisted minds.

• Oof says:

I guess “adventure game strategy”. Or something.

Excellent. I’ve wanted to play a stylised, more-quirky-than-weird/abstruse, point-and-click adventure game for a while now. Skygoblin will have my money.

• Premium User Badge JohnArr says:

It’s a toolbox for making classic point & clicks: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

• Inigo says:

Of course, if you do start making a game in AGS it’s vitally important to use the SingleCursor plugin, otherwise you’ll find yourself compelled to write Look, Use and Talk responses for every single item, character and hotspot in the game and you’ll run out of ideas and you’ll get frustrated and then you’ll start drinking a whole lot and then you’ll start crying.

• Premium User Badge jrodman says:

Thank you for your various replies, I believe the question has been validated.

6. Premium User Badge G-Lord says:

After playing through the excellent Blackwell series just recently, I’m totally in the mood for another AGS title. Looks like I’ll buy this remaster.

7. Premium User Badge Hodge says:

For me, this is one of very few graphic adventures I’ve played in recent years which has come close to capturing the feel of the early-to-mid-90s LucasArts stuff. Which is my special way of saying that this is most definitely worth your time.

I’m not sure it needs the graphical upgrade though, as the original was already mightily impressive in that regard.

8. engion3 says:

playing this at work and it’s surprisingly entertaining.

9. pbbpbb says:

NEW
    Online Store:
    ( http://www.paybuybuy.com )
    you can find many cheap and fashion stuff