Ride The Light: Waveform On Its Way To Steam

By Craig Pearson on February 22nd, 2012 at 1:51 pm.

Hawaii 50 in space, man
Waveform is an interesting experiment in minimal game design: you stretch and compress a wave passing through space, manipulating it to fit the patterns it encounters. It’s on the relaxing end of the spectrum, with only one control and chill-out music. Despite a troubled inception, failing to reach a modest Kickstarter goal of $8000 funding, it’s managed to wiggle into Steam’s servers, oscillating to fit the wavelength of Gabe Newell’s heart. Fancy seeing what it’ll look like? Video here.

It’s got some (oscillo)scope, and it’ll come with a wave editor as DLC, although there’s no word if that’s free or paid for.

Obviously it would be handy of the launch trailer told is when the game is due, but this does nothing of the sort. You’ll just have to ping a rubber band between your fingers, or get a long length of rope and flick it, watching the flick move along, while you wait for it to land sometime in March.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kyrius says:

Looks gorgeous! Can’twait to put my hands on it!

• RyanVandendyck says:

Glad you like it Kyrius, thanks! Oh by the way I should mention I’m the creator of Waveform :).

I’d be pleased as punch to answer any questions anyone has, so let ‘em fly!

• Craig Pearson says:

Oh hai. Any update on “March” for the release date? :) Also, DLC costs?

Double also: why waves?

• ran93r says:

Without any wind an airplane flies at 200 miles per hour. It travels 800 miles into the wind and then returns with the wind in a total time of 8 hours and 20 minutes. What is the average speed of the wind?

• RyanVandendyck says:

The average speed of the wind is 40 miles per hour. Thanks for the question :)

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Yes, a question.

When are you releasing it?

3. RyanVandendyck says:

Unfortunately the release date hasn’t been finalized with Valve yet. It’s basically ready for release though, just putting the final touches on it. So I hope to have it out as soon as possible. I’ll try bugging Valve a bit more to expedite the process for you guys :)

As for DLC, I plan on releasing the level editor as free DLC, and having a mix of paid and free DLC after that. I hope to do mostly free DLC, but if ever I need more money for food and rent I might need to throw a paid one into the mix ;)

And finally, why waves you ask? Blame my math degree and my inability to doodle anything else I guess :). More info here! http://edenindustries.ca/blog/?p=131

• MondSemmel says:

Getting compared to the Bit.Trip series is definitely a very good sign.
      In that case, consider doing variable music as part of your DLC. The awesomeness of the Bit.Trip series is playing a game while recreating a level’s musical score. I guess part of that mechanic could work well for this game, too.
      I’ll definitely give this game a look in the future!
      EDIT: I wanted this comment to go somewhere slightly different. It’s still okay here, though.

• RyanVandendyck says:

One of the first bits of DLC I hope to do is something to integrate the gameplay and the music a bit more tightly, as you suggested. After Waveform releases I’ll be spending some time on prototyping new ways to experience the game, and diving deeper into the audio aspect of it is something I’m definitely excited about!

4. The First Door says:

Oooh, it reminds me a little of the BIT.TRIP series… a simple concept which lulls you in with excellent music, before making you wish your reactions still worked as well as they used to. Can’t wait to check it out!

• RyanVandendyck says:

It’s funny you should say that, I get that comparison a lot :). In fact even Valve said that to me when I first talked to them about getting it on Steam!

• The First Door says:

Well, there are worse series to be compared to! I hope you get it out sometime soon, it looks really interesting.

• RyanVandendyck says:

I agree, I don’t mind the comparison at all! And yes I hope it’ll be out soon too. Shouldn’t be very long now I don’t think.

5. Chrisjenno says:

I want this game so bad it hertz.

6. sabrstryk says:

Windows only or SteamPlay?

• RyanVandendyck says:

Windows initially, Mac and Linux (and later iPhone, hopefully) to come after the initial release. I’m the only programmer on the game so I have my hands full just trying to finish the game. But I certainly do intend to port it to many systems as soon as I can!

7. Buemba says:

Glad to see this will see the light of day. I backed its kickstarter and was pretty disappointed when it didn’t reach the goal.

8. Robin says:

Looks like a more casual version of Kenta Cho’s Sin Car.

• RyanVandendyck says:

Really? I think Sin Car would be a more casual version of Waveform actually. Waveform has over 100 levels of actual authored content, not randomly generated, plus 11 different randomly generated endless modes in which you can compete for Steam leaderboard rankings. Dozens of different objects, bonus levels, and add in a ranking system for every level, which can be very challenging if you want to get 100%, and I think you have a very fully-fleshed out game.

It purposefully rides the line between casual and advanced by letting you play at your own pace; taking a relaxing run just to try to finish a level or really hone your skills in order to fully master it. That dynamic type of difficulty is one thing I’m most proud of with Waveform, and I think one of the keys to its appeal to a wide audience. From hardcore gamers to my mom, everyone has had fun with Waveform :)

But no sense taking my word for it, it’ll be out soon and you can judge for yourself!

• Robin says:

Yeah, by ‘casual’ I meant slower and full of sparkly things, neither of which are by any means a bad thing.

Good luck with it!

• RyanVandendyck says:

Ah, it is full of sparkly things, I certainly can’t deny that! But the game actually has a speed system built in that makes you go faster (and earn more points) the better you do. So if you’re a very good player, you’ll start rocketing through the levels. And if you’re more of a casual player, you’ll probably be going through on the default speed.

That way casual players can just enjoy the levels at their own pace, but advanced players will get a real thrill-ride!

9. Armante says:

RyanVandendyck – it looks and sounds great. I would totally suck at it tho – I’m hopeless on things like this :)

Question for you; how long did it take from when you submitted the game to Steam for consideration until you heard back from them to say it’s been accepted?

• RyanVandendyck says:

Glad you like the look of it! But don’t worry if you suck at it. I’ve had numerous people play the game that do quite horribly, but they refuse to put the game down because they’re just having so much fun with it even though they’re not doing great :)

The Steam submission process actually went very smoothly and pretty quick. The first time they saw it they expressed interest in having it on Steam. Now I don’t know if that was an official acceptance or not, but either way that got the ball rolling and they were a pleasure to work with throughout the whole process.

• Armante says:

cool – always good to get the indies up on Steam :)

Reason I asked is that I’m a very big fan of Lunar Flight and it was submitted to Steam earlier this year, and I’m hoping the solo dev gets it on there too .

Good luck with your game!

10. fullbleed says:

The soundtrack is awesome, will it be availble as a seperate download or will it come with the game?

• RyanVandendyck says:

I agree, the soundtrack is fantastic! It’s all been composed by Scott McFadyen, whose work you’ve definitely heard if you’ve ever played games like Mario Strikers: Charged, or Punch-Out!! (Wii). And we worked on the upcoming Luigi’s Mansion 2 for 3DS together, so you can see both our handiwork in that one :)

But I digress! Scott will be handling all of the soundtrack related stuff, and he informs me that the soundtrack will be available as a separate download. I’ll be sure to release more info on that as it’s known so people can get their hands on the sublime music!

Comment on this story