Alpha Dog Fight: World Of Warplanes

By Adam Smith on February 23rd, 2012 at 12:18 pm.

These planes are all piloted by pandas

To the skies, brave few, to the skies. Wargaming.net, developers of World of Tanks have just fuelled up the global alpha for World of Warplanes so they’ll presumably be hoping the brave many sign up so that they can test the capacity of the blue yonder and receive plenty of radio chatter feedback. If you fancy yourself a fighter ace, you can sign up here if you are in Europe, here if you are in Russia or here if you happen to be in America. The game will offer a full career mode and covers several eras beginning in the 1930s. Jim spoke with the developers at the end of last year and I shall cheekily direct you toward that conversation if you desire more information.

, , .

1. Eynonz says:

Apparently I have to take a History test just to Apply for testing. XD

• Antsy says:

It’s hilarious. And it’s interesting that, as in WoT, Britain isn’t being offered as a playable faction.

Yet again its USSR vs Germany with a taste of USA on the side. Sorry but if their attitude to Planes is the same as Tanks then they can keep it.

• Mavvvy says:

Have to agree, its not like one of the most important aerial conflicts of the war was fought in a hurricane which spat fire during the hellish tempest over blenheim.

• Dana says:

@Antsy
      Yeah, Im curious if the question about nation was a “test”, to see if you actually know anything about the game, or “just” a question. I picked Japanese, because screw you, Hayate was the best plane of ww2.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I wish the game has aircrafts that never properly materialized, like the Henschel Hs P.75

• Paradukes says:

@Antsy:

They are adding the British planes later; I think they’re focusing on the same sides that are in WoT to start with.

• Antsy says:

Much like British tanks are going to appear in WoT someday.

I’m not holding my breath.

• battles_atlas says:

Yes British tanks have been ‘on the way’ for about a year now

lurkalisk says:

When it comes to air battles, I can’t imagine they would skip at least the more important British craft, one way or the other. But it’s important not to see it like Americans tend to (“we won that war!”, etc…), British craft may have been important, but so were the German and Soviet planes.

• Antsy says:

Indeed. The problem is that it’s the developers that have the blinkers on and its all about the Soviet/German conflict to them. Their approach to World of Tanks is hilariously egotistical.

I’m not here stamping my feet feeling left out because Britain isn’t represented in Tanks, it’s understandable. I’m just confused that Britain isn’t being represented in Planes.

The Battle of Britain was one of the most significant moments of WW2 and it took place before the USSR or the USA were even in the war.

2. Matryc says:

Can’t wait. WoT is nice, WoWP will be nicer, but in all honesty I am most interested in World of Battleships.
    Still, flying around in shooty flyer with multitude of other dudes sounds like fun.

3. pmanpman says:

And what if I’m in Australia?

• Creaturemagic says:

Well I’m Australian, and I plan to just select another country and play that way :)

• westyfield says:

Pretend you’re in Austria.

• Paradukes says:

Then you… slap another… shrimp… barbie…

Sorry, my ethic stereotyping seems to be failing me for some reason.

4. westyfield says:

Protip: the answer is always “the aircraft explodes”.

jezcentral says:

Will this be the Counter Strike to Dogfighter’s Team Fortress 2?

6. MattMk1 says:

If it’s anything like World of Tanks, now’s the time to play, before all the people able to devote 8-12 hours a day to the game get the high tier vehicles and the matchmaking becomes completely effed up.

Though I doubt I’ll try it, the WoT dev attitude – a tendency to make inexplicably horrific design decisions combined with gigantic egos and Soviet style customer service – has completely soured me on anything coming out of that studio.

• DarkFenix says:

Um, I don’t know when you started playing WoT, but the matchmaking has only improved since the start and the tier spread in a battle is what makes it interesting for me (as opposed to a battle consisting of all the same bloody tanks).

The devs really are a bunch of twats though, they have a history of pointedly not listening to anything the community says and silencing any kind of dissent on the forums. Keeping clear of anything they make is more than enough reason to give WoWP a miss.

• MattMk1 says:

I started playing WoT during the closed Beta, and stopped a few months after the NE “official launch”.

For me, the game (and the matchmaking) were always the best right at the start / after a reset, when you could still get into lots of games in which most people were in tier II-V tanks, the play was fast and competitive, SPGs didn’t play a big role, and skill mattered more than having a high tier heavy.

7. DarkFenix says:

Signed up, but more to play the game than to test. Here’s the thing: the Russian server gets everything before anyone else, meaning by the time we get any test build the Russians have already tested anything that needs testing. Furthermore, the devs have established on WoT that they don’t care what the EU community has to say. Long story short, EU/NA testing serves precisely no practical purpose whatsoever.

Jarmo says:

Yeee-haw! See you in the skies – through a reflector gunsight!

Jarmo says:

I have now finished reading the legal obligations a Wargaming.Net LLP customer agrees to: terms of service, EULA, privacy policy (and NDA). I notice it took me about one hour.

10. Furtled says:

My 60yo father actually beat RPS to telling me about this – I’m not sure whether to be proud or guilty for getting him into WoT in the first place!

11. tigershuffle says:

only dipping in to WOTanks due to similar gripes.
    The community has led all the best changes/improvements ie skins, reticles…..and almost at every turn wargaming have then released a halfbaked poor quality version
    Will stick with WarThunder:World of Planes beta by Gaijin……though they will probably stuff up too :).
    Thats the dilemma….Wargaming have the mmo experience?! but Gaijin have the Sim side.

Any chance of a similar piece on World of Planes……just so we can compare n contrast ?!! pretty please?! ;)