Forget Amnesia: Anna’s A Creepy FPS Adventure Game

By Craig Pearson on February 23rd, 2012 at 2:56 pm.

MULTIPLE STARING EYES
Actually, no! Don’t forget Amnesia! I’m only saying that for title fun. Remember Amnesia, or when I tie Anna into the creepy first-person adventure genre it won’t make any sense. I’ve cleverly shot myself in my own foot, here. Nothing left to do but bloodily drag the appendage around, wailing at my own cleverosity. Are you remembering? Phew. So Dreampainter’s Anna is set in and around a haunted Italian sawmill. It’s an adventure game, so there’s a fair amount of plucking things from the prettily-rendered environments, combining, jiggling, discarding, using the mouse pointer as you would a hand, pulling open drawers, etc. It has all the basic verbs of the adventure genre, and a few clever twists. It’s a bit like Amnesia, wink wink.

This quote from the developer intrigued me.

A: The game features 3 different endings, which are triggered according to your behavior in the game. “Anna” will provide you different paths, environments and puzzles according to the path you’re walking, providing you 3 different experiences, each one of around 3 hours. This means that exploring “Anna” will take you around 9 hours, or so.

Usually adventure games ask you to fit together a jigsaw puzzle of a story, but Anna will take how you’re playing and figure out what story to present to you. This will all be determined according to the character’s mental state. It’s all heavily WIP, but come March 7th there’ll be a video of all this, showing off the snazzy graphics that they’ve managed to squeeze into the Unity engine. Like so.

No EYES

Via Indie Game Mag.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Meat Circus says:

Fact: Girls’ names in game titles = automatically scary.

Except for “Fanny”.

2. marsilainen says:

But, but.. i can’t forget it.. *sobs*

3. Anthile says:

I was browsing Desura recently and there seems to be quite a lot Amnesia mods. Maybe RPS could do a roundup.

4. Khemm says:

I love it that we’re getting more and more adventure games of late. Traditional point-and-click, third person, first person. It really feels great.
    I sort of want a spiritual successor to Black Dahlia on this engine, the first part of that game set in the 40s with you feeling as a real detective was awesome.

• Kaira- says:

Absolutely. Even if adventure gaming is still alive (not at least dead, just smelling funny), it wouldn’t hurt to see more of them.

Especially a good sequel to Darkness Within. Second one was so meh. I was so disappointed.

• Khemm says:

Was there anything in particular you really disliked? I thought it was… OK, the move to 3D didn’t bother me at all, the puzzles were rather solid, the story in the original I enjoyed more for sure however.

• Kaira- says:

I felt it lost something of the original’s nature with its storyline, which was my biggest gripe with it. Nothing else really. The puzzles were okay, with that I do agree.

5. philbot says:

Forget Amnesia…. ? OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

6. Trans says:

Probably a silly question; but what is “Heavily WIP”?

7. Llewyn says:

For some reason the top screenie makes me think Zork Nemesis…

8. fenriz says:

Ha! 3 endings. Cool. But rather than 3 different paths i like one path that you could walk down in 3 different ways. Makes for more challenge, maybe.

But this is awesome. People are tired of shooting and running and driving.

9. Shooop says:

As long as I don’t have to push/pull the mouse to do anything I’m game for it. Couldn’t play Penumbra because I was ready to hurl my mouse at a window after 20 minutes.

10. equatorian says:

Reminds me of Silent Hill : Shattered Memories. Which was awesome, despite the running parts being rather dull.

Count me interested.

11. Velvetmeds says:

Sounds more interesting than Amnesia, mostly because i thought Amnesia’s setting was pretty crap.

Comment on this story