One For Me, Thanks – Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory

By John Walker on February 23rd, 2012 at 11:40 am.

Run from the tea!

Chinese IGF winner, Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory is having a commercial release. From S. Korean indie team Turtle Cream, it’s a 2D platformer starring a cube of sugar, fighting against his fate. But, and I’ll never get tired of typing this, with yet another awesome twist idea. Here each screen exists in two versions, constructed from a grid of tiles that are flipped in blocks of four when the cube walks past them. So as you walk along a platform, you may replace it with empty space, deadly spikes, or key elements to completing the screen. It’s a brain-hurtingly interesting idea, and it looks utterly lovely, as you’ll see below.

There are five worlds, 90 levels, and a couple of endings, and, well, words can’t do it justice, so watch:

It’s out on Desura, Indiecity, Indievania and Kawagames, or directly via their own site, on the 25th Feb, for a teeny $5. The team behind it also wish to make it clear that it’s “SUPER CUTE”. That appears to be true.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Nicolinux says:

No Steam release? Pitty

• rustybroomhandle says:

Just frickin’ support Desura, they are good people – jeez. *rageface*

(can’t comment on the other vendors, but anyhoo)

2. Saul says:

I played this a while back, and I’m sorry to say that I found it utterly terrible. There didn’t seem to be any sensible way to work out what was going to happen when the blocks flipped, frustrating, unavoidable death being the usual outcome. Sorry Sugar Cube, but I cannot recommend you to anyone.

3. marcusfell says:

Dear everyone who thinks this is a new idea: it’s not. I’ve seen this before in a zillion flash games, and most of them did it better.

• Oozo says:

You know, you could add approximately one zillion % of value to that post by providing us with a link, or at least one name.

4. Hodge says:

It does look like it’s a lot more clever than it is fun.

• wccrawford says:

That was my conclusion. Puzzle and/or platformer games are fun when you can predict what’s going to happen. That video looks like you have no idea what will flip out when you pass over it, so the only way to complete harder levels is going to be to play it over and over and over, figuring out a little bit at a time. Meh.

• Berzee says:

But it also seems you can flip between the two worlds at will, so you could always take a sneak peek at what’s going to happen — unless I misunderstand, I think they just didn’t show it off very well.

5. deadly.by.design says:

I am so very confused by this.