Guess What You Do In Medal of Honor: Warfighter?

By Craig Pearson on February 24th, 2012 at 9:59 am.

That man is staring down war like it is a thing
If there’s a surprise in the announcement that there’s to be another game in EA’s modern reboot of the Medal of Honor series, it’s that the subtitle “Warfighter” survived basic training: no-one in the development studio giggled, no-one in marketing made this face >:(, John Riccitiello didn’t suddenly come to his senses on the toilet and tell them to ‘drop it and call it “2″‘? Not only is it a redundant mess of a name, but it’s not even a unique redundant mess. I expect Tom Clancy to hold a mock funeral, just so he can commence grave-spinning. So yes, there is a man, he’ll be fighting in a war. Other details are somewhat missing in action.

But to be complete: the game is being developed by incumbent MoH curators, Danger Close. And only them this time: they’re not farming out the multiplayer, the best bit of the previous game, to Battlefield developers DICE, although they are using the Frostbite 2.0 engine for the whole thing. Just like the previous bearded fighters of war, it follows Tier 1 operatives, whose modus operandi is getting knee-deep in number two, which is definitely what they should have called this game.

Here’s the full image from the crop above: I’ve scanned it for secrets: if you enhance the eye, you can see the Modern Warfare team mooning him.

No matter how much I try, I can't make him giggle

I’ll leave you with Craig’s thought for the day: What if War wins? You’ll find out when Medal of Honor 2 launches this October.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. BAshment says:

peacekeeping?

2. The Tupper says:

Minecraft 2: Mine Crafter.

3. DanPryce says:

CAPTAIN GENERICA!

4. Alexander Norris says:

The multiplayer was more like the “least worst” bit of the previous game. It was some godawful mix of all the worst bits of Bad Company 2 and CoD; and the single-player is pretty much the only FPS I’ve ever played which I didn’t finish – it was so dreadfully boring.

Hopefully this one is better, but I’ve not got my hopes up at all. :(

5. Luke says:

Other titles that didn’t quite make the cut? Go.

Medal of Honor: Gunshooter

6. elfbarf says:

Ooh…is it an RTS?

7. westyfield says:

They should do a sci-fi one and call it Congressional Space Medal of Honour.

(It’s a thing.)

• The Tupper says:

That is awesome. It’s the kinda thing Buzz Lightyear would talk about getting.

• westyfield says:

It’s the sort of name that demands to be shouted. I might edit my original comment to make it all-caps.

• The Tupper says:

I notice that the various shuttle astronauts who died were all awarded it posthumously. I’d suggest that the poor buggers who had to go up in it afterwards are possibly even more deserving.

8. Inigo says:

The worst part is that it’s not even the first game to have “Warfighter” in its name.

9. Colthor says:

Ooh, ooh, I know! You’re stuck in an open, horror-strewn world, filled with monsters and eldritch danger, and must embark on a freeform quest to escape, making allies and enemies amongst the world’s inhabitants as you go?

10. Dragane says:

Ghost recon beats this since its also Warfighter. But also Advanced.

11. Jamesworkshop says:

Medal of honour: Warface

With our powers combined, I am Captain Clunky Videogame Title

12. Amakir says:

I think it´s a game where you shoot mans with guns.

13. razzafazza says:

meh, i ll raise you my military FPS instead:

Power of Patriotism: Peace Penetrator

A game where you have to fight through a horde of U.N. Soldiers to rescue american civilians (not to be confused with weapon smugglers) in an EPIC 3 hour singleplayer campaign ( starring 30 minutes of actual gameplay inbetween scripts, explosions and QTE supported rape sequences )

to differentiate it from the 08/15 rest of the genre it ll feature the “leeching” mechanic. press A (for Awesome) and you summon 20 AI controlled soldiers that kill all the enemies for you while you still get XP (used to unlock new hairstyles for your solider).

i havent actually started work on it yet but considering kickstarter.

14. Olivaw says:

Warfighter is a real word, you guys.

Like, I know, it’s silly.

But it is a thing that existed before video games.

15. cai says:

Link to DICE is broken!

16. Jorum says:

OK I can see the need for distinctions between frontline and support people.

However I’m amused the US military decided the words “front-line”, “combat-troops”, “infantry”, “rifleman” or hell the old fashioned “warrior” weren’t good enough and they needed WARFIGHTER (rawaagh!)
    The marines sometimes seem mainly preoccupied in making stuff sound cool to a 14 year old,

17. Moni says:

What happened to the guy with the massive beard? It was about the most interesting thing.

18. Jorum says:

Can’t wait for number 3:

Medal Of Honour: Foreignerkiller

19. Godwhacker says:

I’m pretty sure that Honouring the Call of Duty means you’re more likely to get a Medal of Honour.

20. DogKiller says:

Medal of Honour: Metal Theft. Because stealing army medals to melt them down is probably slightly less dangerous than ripping out live copper wiring from power stations.

21. Mavvvy says:

Now here’s a game where skipping combat would be useful. Hmm I could reduce that to skipping the title altogether…

22. sneetch says:

Medal of Honour: Steely-eyed Army Guy

I’m actually very interested in this one, I liked the first one it was rather subdued compared to a lot of these games but it could do with less “Following” and more “Leading”.

23. mondomau says:

Gran Turismo : Cardriver.
    Skyrim : Dragonhitter
    Borderlands : Lootcollector
    XCOM : Alienshooter

24. Tretiak says:

Dear Esther: The Movie.

25. Triangulon says:

Does he fight in wars or against War? It could be an exctiting modern FPS version of God of War.

Kind of reminds me of that line, “If firefighters fight fire and crimefighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?”

26. Winged Nazgul says:

Surprised they just didn’t name it the obvious Medal of Honor: Manshooter.

27. phenom_x8 says:

I remember playing the 1st and 2nd MOH on PSOne. They’re quite a tense game on it’s own by offering a wide range of mission variety. One of my favorite was undercover mission as one of NAZI’s officer. We have to walk slowly inside their HQ while holstering our weapon (I’m quite nervous at that time because of such a drastic change in gameplay that made me make my character draw his weapon accidentally), showing our fake badge or ID whenever we want to pass their security post and secure the ID of much higher rank NAZI’s officer. It’s just tense (especiallt I was a teen back then).

Even their enemy AI are quite smart than the most recent COD, they’re oftenly prone and roll over to avoid bullets , running around for cover, place themselves on higher places (balcony), and react based on where they’re being shot at (we can shoot at their helmet too).

I just dont understand why they following COD in their recent iteration, it’s ruined their unique approach towards their own IP. Just imagine if they keep their original and unique gameplay (with more polish and improvement of course) in modern setting (undercover as one of taliban’s while uncovering their motives or background). It would be an ace.

28. roryok says:

Is that Tom Hardy?

29. Wreckdum says:

Warfighter is a term actually used in the US Army. It’s military slang. Get over it. lol

• mondomau says:

You’re the fourth or fifth person to point this out and my response is the same to all of you:

What the fuck has that got to do with it? Made up PR subtitle or obscure silly military jargon, it still sounds ridiculous and juvenile.

• coldvvvave says:

So, you didn’t do a research, made fun of developers who did( and people who use that “obscure jargon”) and you call others juvenile? Because it sounds stupid to you and a handfull of other people?

• godwin says:

Just because it’s “real” doesn’t mean people can’t laugh at how silly this PR jargon is. You guys get over it instead.

30. Shooop says:

Does he have an ACOG and a holo-sight on that gun?

Looks like somebody’s trying to get tacticool certified.

31. TsunamiWombat says:

Alas, I hate to admit it but Warfighter is an actual term some people use for soldiers. Why, I have no idea. Perhaps because kennings sound so impressive,

32. moarage says:

makes me wonder what EA is thinking, do they want it to compete with their flagship product bf3? or compete with mw3 in specific for throne of the corridor shooter? Cause to be honest, it’s gonna be generic as it can, I’d rather have moh go it’s own way and back to ww2 again, or heck even ww1 might interesting

33. Network Crayon says:

“warfighter” Honestly? I ******* hate marketing so much sometimes.

34. Shortwave says:

After how terrible the last game was..
    Theres no hope for this.
    /end opinion

35. PedroBraz says:

Apparently the good folks at Danger Close, thought it nessesary to explain to the kiddies that this game is indeed about a WARFIGHTER (aka anyone in the army with a gun, might as well have called it MOH: I haz gun) just to make sure you didnt mix it up with all those other games about beeing a cook in the army. Wait a minute, didnt Seagal make a movie about that?…

36. Kadayi says:

Rock paper snarkfest

37. Adventurous Putty says:

This game will probably be good or bad, or possibly average.

…oh who am I kidding, it’ll just be bad. Next!

38. sinister agent says:

Gun of Gun: Fightwarrior

39. Erroneoustrigger says:

Based on the marsh camo on his cheek riser, it should be duckfighter at the very least. Although it would actually be nice to see them bring something a little more competitive to the shooter genre, wouldn’t take much really. Throw in a some grittiness, a somewhat open campaign with more than 4 player coop throughout instead of a meagre rehash like spec ops and it would actually have some of my coin floating its way. But the degree to which EA has abandoned anything but linearity and limited user options in their more recent releases has me skeptical and lacking hope.

Comment on this story