The RPS Bargain Bucket: Fat Stacks

By Lewie Procter on February 25th, 2012 at 11:59 am.

I’ve spent this lovely sunny morning scavenging around, deep down in the cheap video game mines, trying to find some gaming gems that sparkle and shine enough to be worth the attention of you, the erudite and beautiful RPS readers. And believe it or not, I’ve only gone and pulled it off. Read on to see the games that you should consider buying this weekend, and you can always hit up SavyGamer.co.uk for more. Here they are:

Buy one get one free on Dungeons and Dragons games at GOG.
GOG have got the following good old games on promotion, where any two of them will set you back a total of £6.29/€7.43/$9.99:
Baldur’s Gate,
Baldur’s Gate 2 Complete,
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard,
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone,
Icewind Dale Complete,
Icewind Dale 2 Complete,
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition,
Planescape: Torment.
They’re also chucking in a free copy of The Temple of Elemental Evil if you stump up for this deal. I’ve not played most of these, but every time it comes up in conversation I’m told that I should give Planescape: Torment a go. So maybe now I will.

The Void – £2.49/€2.95
I had a look at a proxy: My usual procedure for determining international pricing for GamersGate games, but it seems this one isn’t reduced in the USA. Bug at my end, or actual snub? I’m afraid I can’t tell. That rapscallion Quinns said that this is what The Void is:

A game where you play a soul who finds themselves in an afterlife with no memory of the person they once were. We all have our hopes, fears and preconceptions of what the afterlife is meant to be like. The Void takes all of these in both arms and fumbles them into a bin, preferring instead to deploy all of Ice-Pick Lodge’s imagination and creativity in creating something fantastical, the likes of which we’ve never seen before. In other words, a place that’s actually worth exploring.

And he wasn’t wrong. More here, and John did his thing over at Eurogamer for this too.

Inside a Star-filled Sky – £1.01/€1.19/$1.60
Jason Rohrer’s wierdo shmup about things inside of things inside of things inside of…here’s Mr Meer’s take on this:

The point is, as well as the metaphorical element of exploring and bettering yourself, it’s also remarkably tactical. The shump element of reflex and pattern-spotting is in there, but it’s also about equipping the right tools for the right job. As someone who gets exasperated with the hardcore shmups because that particular vein of high speed perfection makes demands that I’m too lazy to meet, the idea of puzzling it out rather than grinding it out is a whole lot more fulfilling.

3079, Towns, Wyv and Keep – £3.26/€3.85/$5.18 at time of writing.
The inaugural indie royale alpha bundle contains three work in progress games for not very much money at all. Let me defer to comrade Adam for his summary of the games contained within. As always with Indie Royale, the price fluctuates a little bit over time, and when someone drops fat stacks on the unsuspecting developers, the price lowers for everyone else.
Disclaimer: I work for Indie Royale/IndieGames.com.

Deal of the week
Waves – £3.49/€3.99/$4.99
Officially my favourite game of 2011 that didn’t have “Isaac” in the name. Waves is an arena twin stick shooter, where the arena is a big circle and the things you have to shoot are evil abstract shapes. It’s a bit lovely looking, I reckon it’s got more particle effects than all of the other games put together, and it plays fantastically, with a brilliant combo system that lovingly massages my brain’s risk/reward cortex. It’s a right good spot of fun, and a steal at this price. You get a drm free download, and a serial to bung into Steam. Go get, and I’ll see you on the leaderboards.

Also of note:
Trine (Mac only) – 69p/€0.79/$0.99
All of the serious sams for cheap
The Baconing – £2.49/€3.24/$3.74

Please be visiting SavyGamer.co.uk for all your gaming discount needs.

__________________

« | »

1. Phantoon says:

I wish I knew what Dungeons and Dragons game to get with Planescape. It’s really the only reason I haven’t bought that yet.

• Andy_Panthro says:

I’d suggest Baldur’s Gate 2 complete or Neverwinter Nights diamond ed.

BG2 is a classic, and NWN has a massive amount of user modules as well as the ones that come with the game.

• McChubs says:

I’d go with Icewind Dale instead of NWN. The sheer amount of classes and modules in NWN is really nice, but the original campaign is the dullest D&D game I’ve ever played.

• Yosharian says:

Baldur’s Gate II of course, duh!

• Lemming says:

That GOG deal is shameful compared to the Impulse one a few weeks back. Even now, All the D&D infinity engine games on Impulse are like a tenner. Much more worth it, tbh.

• InternetBatman says:

Is Icewind Dale 2 less of a dungeon runner? I prefer games with large towns and lots of npcs. IW struck me as a more combat focused game, which is fine, but not for me.

• misterT0AST says:

The only one I ever owned and played was Icewind Dale II.
      First of all, there’s no mention at all of what happened in the prequel, and for me that’s a plus.
      Second, there’s a whole lot of fighting in that game, but also a good quantity of dialogues and the like. The problem is the pacing: you start with a long fight, then you get to the conversation part, and that lasts forever. Then the war starts, and again there’s no dialogue involved. I’ve never got past that because it’s hard as nails when you crank up the difficulty, and I did.
      TIP: play with your friends on Gameranger, it’s much more fun in good company.

• Randomer says:

Icewind Dale II is definitely a big improvement over the first. Whether or not I’d call it a dungeon runner… The emphasis is still far more on combat zones rather than town zones, but there are quite a few more town areas than there were before. Now, whereas Icewind Dale was almost all dungeon based, many of the cool Icewind Dale II areas are wide-open overland areas (a refreshing change). It also does a fantastic job of using triggered, epic battle scenes (in contrast to Icewind Dale’s usual “inch forward and aggro the next guy that appears from the fog of war” tactics). IWD II also does a great job of character development for the main bad guys.

• Velvetmeds says:

I would get Icewind dale 1 and 2, because you never know if the BG coming to Steam will be HD or not. And after BG, ID is the best of the bunch.

• kanzy says:

The above comments do not really help much at all. Some recommend BG 2, some Icewind Dale, some NWN. Of course, I do understand that this is highly dependent on personal tastes and preferences, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone can give me a lowdown on the above games and give a strong recommendation (with reasons).

Bear in mind that I am totally unfamiliar with these CRPGs of yesteryear, and that I’m getting Planescape: Torment because of all the great things that have been said about it.

As such, it’d be great if the recommended title is one that is suited to a total newcomer to this genre, and is perhaps representative of the genre in general (I know that is rather impossible), to give me a feeling of what the entire genre is about. Or perhaps something that complements that experience presented by Planescape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Thanks in advance!

• malkav11 says:

The original NWN campaign is indeed terrible, (and I’d take the Infinity Engine over NWN’s Aurora Engine any old day), but the thing is that the Diamond Edition includes both expansion campaigns – which are at least as long and much better – and a number of high quality premium modules, even before you get to the hundreds of hours of excellent user-created content. As much as I hate the original campaign and the engine, NWN is about the best price-to-content ratio you can get in the RPG genre.

That said, if you only have time for one giant sprawling RPG, make it Baldur’s Gate II. There’s a lot more fighting and levelling and loot and whatnot than Torment, but there’s so many cool places to go, cool things to do, and sooo much attention to detail. It’s really quite marvelous.

• RedWurm says:

I agree with that. NWN has a hell of a lot of content and is quite nice when you want to build some arcane combination of character classes into a world-conquering colossus (I loved my high-Int rogue/ranger, for example).

BG2 is just a delightful game in pretty much every way. A simple widescreen mod and the engine still looks lovely, and the character interactions and combat mechanics make the most of the party and the tactical options. The modding is more limited (more party members to recruit and the odd extra area, mainly, along with a hatful of mechanical tweaks) but the core game is pretty hefty already if you’re an obsessive completist like me.

I never Really got into the IWD series. In theory it’s perfect for me, but, at least as far as I saw, it’s more of a dungeon crawler strategy game with far fewer substantial side-missions to pick and choose.

• Lemming says:

@kanzy:

I would highly suggest the Impulse DandD master collection, despite it being £12 although I think it works out cheaper for what you get:

I wouldn’t bother with NWN as a first foray, because they feel tonally so different to the older, and frankly more beautiful infinity engine games.

Everyone should play Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. That’s a given. Although I would advise a couple of mods to get it looking its best on a modern PC. Easy tutu for BG1 and the widescreen mod for all of them).

Planescape needs to be seen, I doubt you’ll find anyone arguing that, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a first play as it can seem a bit WTF if you haven’t honed your infinity engine skills on the BG games first as it’s a little rougher around the edges.

Icewind Dale 1 + 2 are like a halfway point between Diablo and Baldur’s Gate. More linear, more combat focused but great RPGs all the same.

I can’t speak for the GOG quality of the games, but the Impulse ones work ‘out of the box’ on my Windows 7 64bit PC without any fiddling around whatsoever, which I think is phenomenal.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Considering that Baldurs Gate 2 is consistently a top 5 game of the last 20 years for most people and the expansion is practically a full game unto itself if you’re coming into these games for the first time that’s as good as the genre has ever gotten. You will have to be a touch patient with the story at the start in all fairness though because there’s a lot of references and characters from the first game and I remember being totally confused by it for the first area. Just hang with it, read the manual and you’ll be golden.

• TheWhippetLord says:

In my opinion BG2 will be a good place to start – maybe the first BG if you want the full impact of the story, but BG1 feels sloppier than the sequels. I’d say that of the games on the list only Torment and BG2 rate ‘classic’ status, the rest I’d call merely good games.

IWD/IWD2 are often seen as slightly pale, combat heavy and less story focused versions of BG2, which isn’t entirely unfair. The other big difference is party creation. In the IWD games you create your entire party rather than BG’s single protagonist, which lets you have more fun with mechanics and developing overpowered combinations of classes, if that kind of thing amuses you (it certainly does me.) BG/BG2 have party members who chat with you and have their own quests in what became standard Bioware fashion. Whether you find this engossing or irritating is down to taste I think.

If you buy infinity engine games, it’s worth hunting down the must-have mods – specifically the high resolution tweaksand “BG1tutu” or “Baldur’s Gate Trilogy”, which allow you to play the first BG in the BG2 engine (if in doubt, search for ‘infinity engine modlist’.) The experience of taking a new character form L1 to epic level in the same storyline is something I got a lot of fun from.

It’s worth saying that BG etc seem to be very common sale games so there’s no real need to gobble – get a couple and the rest’ll be cheap another time.

• malkav11 says:

You can play both Baldur’s Gate games with a player-created party by playing it as a “multiplayer” game without any other players. I wouldn’t recommend it, at least for the first time through, as the NPCs are a significant part of the experience. But it’s an option.

• bill says:

If you have no previous experience of such RPGs then I’d recommend BG1 or maybe an Icewind Dale.

I personally have no experience of such RPGs, and I tried starting directly with BG2, as many people recommended to me at the time, and I found it kind of overwhelming to start with a high powered party with dozens of abilities and skills that i had no idea about. I made it through the linear opening dungeon, but constantly had the feeling i had no idea what i was doing. Then i got to the big open city and got overwhelmed.

I picked up BG1 in the last sale, and i haven’t gotten very far yet – but it’s definitely a more gentle introduction as you start with a few low powered characters and slowly start building up skills and spells. Maybe i’ll give up on it soon, but I’m more hopeful that i was for BG2. Some standard mods add in a lot of the interface benefits of BG2 i think.

I actually haven’t ever tried either of the Icewind games, but as i understand it they are much closer to simple hack/slash and so they’re probably more accessible.

It should also be mentioned that i also first bought BG2 mainly because I wanted to try the hallowed Planescape Torment – and I didn’t get any further with PS:T than BG2.
      It starts with an incredibly dull opening dungeon, and then throws you into a wide alien city and again I had no idea what to do. (and was bored stiff after the opening) so i gave up. But everyone says that it gets much better if you push on for a little bit, so i should really go back to it at some point.

It depends entirely on your personality of course, but i think you have to go into these games expecting to have to push over a pretty big hump to get into them.

• kanzy says:

Wow Avish thanks for the heads up! That’s a really great deal there. Together with the 15% IGN discount on Gamersgate that Lewie directed to us previously, I’m getting the lot of them for less than 6 USD. Thanks!

2. LTK says:

Also nice to know: If you already have Serious Sam 3 on Steam, you can upgrade to the digital deluxe SERIOUS edition for cheap as well. It gets you some art, the-making-of, soundtrack, and First & Second Encounter Classic. If you buy it, you need to install the bonus content via the Tools menu in the Steam library.

3. Chesterton says:

Yeah, The Void is still $9.95 in the US of A. Drat.

4. Valvarexart says:

You can buy Trine for Windows over at amazon for a similar price: http://www.amazon.com/Southpeak-40338Trine-Trine-Download/dp/B003QTD70C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330172359&sr=8-1

EDIT: And I’d also like to add that they are having some amazing sales on games like The Witcher 2, The Darkness 2, Saints Row the Third and more. Really worth checking out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_360129902_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000771881&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=ilm&pf_rd_r=1MB14YDRJVHCA6736ZE9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1347717282&pf_rd_i=979455011

5. jim1970 says:

Deus Ex : HR is a tenner on Steam I noticed for anyone who hasn’t got yet.

6. iLag says:

hey Lewie, instead of using a proxy for hunting down regional prices, try didimatic.com. it tracks all of the “big” digital distributors’ prices and shows you where something is discounted and where it isn’t.
    should come in handy. (and no, I’m not affiliated with didimatic. I just like to use it.)

• bill says:

I’m not sure lewie would be keen on using his competitor to find his information… as they also would do it using proxies. ;-)

That said, didimatic is also a cool useful site, and the guy who runs it is a nice guy who often hangs out here or on the gog forums.

7. MadTinkerer says:

My mini-review of the alphas:

3079: huge potential, not quite realized yet. Too easy to accidentally trespass because you can’t figure out which faction is which. Slightly too many buttons to remember. Many interesting things already implemented, if you don’t mind wandering around aimlessly because you can’t figure out where to go for the very first objective (which may be broken, but hey it’s an alpha I’m sure they’ll fix it).

Towns: a simplified Dwarf Fortress with an adequate UI (still needs work, but it’s an alpha). It’s okay so far.

Wyv and Keep: ADORABLE PLATFORM PUZZLE GAME!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, Wyv and Keep makes up for the unpolished nature of the other two. And hopefully with more time they’ll be just as good.

• Gauphastus says:

I’ve only played 3079 so far myself. Neat little thing.
      Been interested in Towns for awhile, was probably gonna get it anyway. Glad to have that.
      Never even heard of Wyv and Keep but you seem to like it. Suppose I’ll try that tomorrow!

• KingKio says:

3079 is great, although it does need a lot of love to reach it’s full potential.

Towns is brilliant albeit pretty slow going, especially when your villagers decide they no longer want to create any more bread and starve themselves instead.. I think a “fast forward” button whilst the citizens are building/collecting materials would be handy.

Wyv and Keep, interesting concept, fun local co-op although the blurry, low detail graphics kind of grind on my eyes so I don’t play it for long.

• Martel says:

Towns is the only one of the 3 I’ve played so far, but I really like it. It has a good Dwarf Fortress feel but the graphics and UI seem to enhance it a lot. I also like that the “construct your own building” goodness is there, since it also has a Majesty feel to it. It can be hard to get started and understand how some of the pieces relate (especially keeping everybody fed), but so far I’m having a lot of fun and by itself was worth the price. Can’t wait to try the other 2 games.

Speaking of, all Majesty games are on sale right now on GamersGate, 70% off. I was going to fire that up, but Towns is really meeting my Majesty desire as well.

• RogB says:

cheers for that Martel, looks like my kind of thing, but cant decide between 1 or 2 (or both!)

if anyone is after the lot, dont buy the ‘Majesty complete’ (M1 + M2 + 3 expansions) for 10 quid
      it looks like it’d be cheaper to buy ‘M2 complete (includes expansions)’ + M1 gold for about 5 quid.
      not bad!

PS rather enjoying Towns myself, seems like the lighter DF/Settlers clone i’ve been after recently.

8. Blackcompany says:

FYI: Bioshock is $4.99 today on Greenmangaming. Not sure why it wasn’t in there. Except perhaps for the fact that everyone and their brother owns it already.
    Just got DXHR. Going to start playing today after work. Eager to get going on that one, actually. Also, The Demo for Crusader Kings II. It moves slow, but its…interesting…so far. Much slower than I am used to.
    Slowly turning skyrim into a survival adventure game with mods like Hypothermia and Dynamic Time to make traveling in the cold much more difficult, and riskier.
    Too damned many good games to play. Sometimes wish developers would slow down, take more time between games and make them larger, more open affairs which are released a little less often.

9. InternetBatman says:

The Void literally gave me nightmares. My girlfriend made me stop playing it because I was waking her up by screaming in my sleep. There’s this existentially horrifying moment in the game when your second crop comes in. Also the crazy design of the Brothers, the wheel of stitched together arms particularly got to me. Anyways, I highly recommend it.

• Blackcompany says:

The Void just seems…surreal. And like a game I ought to play. Seems a bit more focused on resource management and survival than on action and combat. Nice change, that.
      What’s more though…from what I have seen…it looks both completely alien and utterly horrifying. Not alien in a hardcore space ships and aliens sort of way. Rather, something so unfamiliar that alien is perhaps the best word for it. And not horrifying in a nightmare on elm street, blood-and-gore sort of way. More horrifying on a deeper, psychological level.
      Really might have to give this game a try. Apparently its something utterly different in terms of gaming.

• fuggles says:

I cannot recommend The Void enough. It’s such an intoxicating world full of beautiful women and bizarre and horrifying monsters. The game starts so completely disorienting with conflicting visuals and audio prompts from the different characters and really allows you to make up your own mind.

It’s fairly unforgiving in that it does not guide you ever so much beyond showing you your options so it’s easy to get stuck. There are difficulty patches available but I finished it ‘as is’ after miserably failing once. To win you really have to know what you are doing and it’s more about maths, planning and playing the system than skill and reflexes. At heart it’s about resource management, as colour grows in cycles and is your health and your ammo, but this sounds dull when written down. In game you are exploring wildly different, dangerous and exciting locations in a type of game I have never played before.

I could easily write thousands of words on the void and what I took from it and what it gave to me, but it’s unique and that alone probably makes it worth £2.50.

• Zwebbie says:

I’d like to chime in with this praise of The Void. It’s easily overlooked, but it should have been one of the more significant video games of the past few years. The visuals and atmosphere have been mentioned already, and those alone would be enough to make it an interesting experience. It’s both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. What makes the game for me, though, is how the story and gameplay are so intertwined that they’re inseperable; the monologues of the characters are about little else than the relationship between your resources and the game’s environments, and how you’ve been affecting things. Your health bar and the ground you walk actually have personality, and it sometimes feels as if they’re all trying to kill you.

10. LTK says:

Okay, I went and bought Waves on your recommendation, and though it’s extremely well-crafted and very fun, I’m disappointed that there isn’t a progressive game mode (‘campaign’ or ‘story’, if you will) included, like Shatter has. For Waves there’s only the Challenge mode, which only lasts a moment, and the handful of other time-limited game modes. I prefer my arcade games to have a more quantifiable measure of progress.

Man, isn’t Shatter great, though?

• Lewie Procter says:

Obviously you are talking about your tastes rather than claiming it’s a weakness with Waves, but the structure of the game is a very deliberate choice.

Here’s the developer explaining his thinking:

Worth a read I reckon.

I really like Shatter too.

• DrGonzo says:

• James G says:

I’m not usually a twin stick shooter fan, but have been absolutely loving Waves, for what that’s worth. I strongly recommend it.

• Aardvarkk says:

I am loving this, Waves is by far my favorite of the twin-stick shooters I’ve played. I don’t know why I waited so long to pick it up.

• c-Row says:

Ah, the twin stick shooter… my old arch-nemesis.

• RobF says:

“Used to be big fan of twin stick shooters. But im wondering what reason there is to get waves when I already own Geometry Wars, I have Grid Wars, Bullet Candy and the list goes on. I just can’t see what makes it unique. ”

…it’s not those, I suppose. Tough sell, obviously and caveat employed that I did the challenge mode for Waves but I only did the challenge mode for Waves because I *liked* Waves and was happy to do something with it when offered.

Superficially, it’s sorta the structure of Geometry Wars:RE 2 but if you strip away “it’s neon and abstracty and dual sticky” from the equation because they’re pretty meaningless, that’s pretty much where it ends. It’s a lot nicer, if that makes sense? It’s not out to back you into a corner and kill you through the face, it’s about putting the power back into your hands and letting you get on with the business of higher scores. It won’t spawn something underneath you, it won’t suddenly cut your game off at random, you’ll die because you messed up. Or ran out of time. Whatevs. It’s slick, I guess.

Anyway, I always feel a bit twatty recommending it when I did a bit on it but it’s very much worth a few quid and complements the other games you mentions finely.

11. Valhuen says:

For American readers, Amazon is having a massive end-of-February sale on digital downloads. Payday $4.99, Red Faction Series $4.99 ea, Sup Com FA $3.75, many more:

12. MondSemmel says:

Indievania sales: Several indie games for up to 80% off here: http://indievania.com/
    Specifically, I bought these games in the sale:
    Defy Gravity Extended (1$, -66%), Cardinal Quest (1$, -80%), Wizorb (1$, -66%)

Also cheap: Blocks That Matter (1$, -80%), SWIFT*STITCH (1.4$, -80%), Inside a Star-Filled Sky (1.6$, -80%).
    I played all these except for Blocks that Matter. I especially recommend Defy Gravity Extended (_very_ short puzzle platformer, but I really liked it despite its simple appearance), SWIFT*STICH, Inside a Star-Filled Sky. If you like the old Breakout game, you will also enjoy Wizorb. Cardinal Quest seemed a bit too simple (finishing a RPG action crawler with permadeath on your second try is disappointing).
    EDIT: Ah, I see Star-Filled Sky got mentioned above. But some of these other games are definitely worth a look, too. All proceeds on Indievania go directly to the developers; and they only pay 5% +0.05$ in paypal fees.

13. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Didn’t see anyone mention it yet, and I couldn’t tell you if it works outside the US, but Amazon has a ton of newer stuff with big markdowns for download at the moment. Most notably The Darkness 2 for $25 which registers on Steam, Battlefield 3 for $40, Space Marine for $15 (which I think registers on Steam but I can’t figure out for sure). Now I just need to figure out whether to get BG2 for the expansion I never got or ID2 which I never played at all with my Planescape.

14. trjp says:

The Really Rather Excellent “Really Big Sky” Really Came to Steam Really Last Friday and is Really On Special for £6.29

Steam’s Really Bad Currency-Conversion is back!! It’s Really Under £5 on GamersGate and GreenManGaming…

15. yhancik says:

Let’s also note that a lot of people on the RPS forum (including me, I admit :p) are getting rid of their Valve Winter Sales coupons (that expire on March 1st). A lot of deal to catch there ;)

16. pbbpbb says:

NEW
    Online Store:
    ( http://www.paybuybuy.com )
    you can find many cheap and fashion stuff

Comment on this story