First-Person Shiner: 12 Mins Of Nexuiz

By Craig Pearson on February 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm.

Judging by that crotch guard, he's not compensating with that gun
So, this video is just 12 minutes and 54 seconds of one of the Nexuiz developers running around a shiny FPS arena commenting on the guns and how the game plays. But its simplicity is the perfect way of presenting the equally simplistic online shooter they’re making: a game where the focus is fast, fluid killamajigging still has a place in my dark, dark heart, and Nexuiz is just that. It has a sticky mortar gun that fires a globby explosive at an enemy that detonates after a few seconds: I like watching people panic, because I’m actually not a very nice person. Video, ho!

That shine is powered by the CryEngine 3, which is an awful hefty engine for shooter that needs a swift framerate. I wonder what the required specs will be? There’s no release date, just this year. That’s 2012, if you’re a time traveler.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Andy_Panthro says:

Reminds me of Unreal Tournament. A lot. (only very much more shiny).

• Network Crayon says:

I Know! Wondeful isn’t it?

• Mistabashi says:

I wouldn’t say wonderful exactly, the bloom and shinyness is approaching retinal-hemorrhage-inducing levels. Would have preferred a slightly cleaner look personally, bloom and big splashy particle effects don’t really suit this type of game in my opinion.

Still, it is nice to see this kind of old-school FPS being pushed into the mainstream again, it’s just a shame they had to essentially steal the game out from under the devs of the open-source project in the process.

• Baines says:

The bloom was making it hard for me to see enemies at times in the video.

The bloom, the shininess, “gold” decorations and red makes me think of a Las Vegas casino.

2. QualityJeverage says:

It’s being released on Xbox Live Arcade in two days. Is the PC version not being released at the same time? (I can’t tell from their website)

• Bobby Oxygen says:

I can’t see this type of FPS being very popular on a console. Even with all the concessions they’ve made (splash damage on most weapons, lots of projectile spread, rocket jump assist), this type of game is only really fun when everyone is moving at a 100 mph, while scoring insane airshots. I don’t see that happening when you control it with a joypad.

• SoupDuJour says:

What about Halo? :P

But about that… Halo has a pretty elaborate single player, which helps to get players to give a damn about it (some context is nice), but Nexuiz… probably doesn’t? Do people still go for a completely “dry” mp game (that isn’t F2P)?

Anyway, it looks good. I like the visual style. Though like others in this thread, I wonder if it fits this particular kind of gameplay. Meh, it’ll be allright, probably.

3. Sp4rkR4t says:

Wasn’t nexuis an open sourcey affair built on the quake engine, what lineage does this share, if any?

• Shrewsbury says:

It has very little to do with the original open source version, apart from the name. One day, out of the blue, Alientrap announced the console version, so the developers of the original version (who knew nothing of this) took the code and created Xonotic instead. You’ll notice on the Nexuiz website that there is absolutely no mention of the original version. This has the unfortunate effect of relegating the original to little more than a historical footnote.

• Tei says:

When you make your stuff open source, is still yours, but you have shared it with the world. So you can turn, and make a game for a console for it, if you want. And the world can still use it. This is the concept of sharing.

Thats the case here, Alientrap crated Nexuiz, and can create a fork for consoles/other. The name conflict problem was resolved by using the new name Xonotic for the open source version.

Nexuiz having a commercial game fork is a good thing. Other games like Freeciv, Battle for Westnoth, have never managed to do that, and I think has a result these games are limited. You can do things with a budget, that you can’t do wen you are making a game based on voluntary work.

• LionsPhil says:

No, Tei.

What you can’t do is go “all those contributions you made under a copyleft license? Going to sell them under a proprietary license, bye!”. Which is, in fact, what has not happened. This Nexiuz has no code in common with the original Nexuiz, which has become Xonotic. It only shares the name; that is all the creator had exclusive claim to. (In theory he could have picked out his own code contributions, except it was built on top of GPL’d Quake. The new Nexuiz game is CryEngine-based.)

• GlacialTurtle says:

@LionsPhil It should be noted that the original plan was to use the Darkplaces engine (used in original Nexuiz). This idea was eventually abandoned it seems, including the idea the idea that Darkplaces/original Nexuiz was going to get direct benefits from improvements to the engine thanks to its use in new Nexuiz.

Wish I could point to the original threads on the forums where all this took place, but they were closed.

Edit: found it –

Illfonics statement and ensuing discussion: http://archive.alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6043&start=0

Nexuiz community statement: http://archive.alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6079

• The_invalid says:

@ Shrewsbury – I hate to be “that guy”, but you’ve got the wrong company. Alientrap were the original developers of Nexuiz back in its free/OSS days when it used the Darkplaces engine. They eventually abandoned Nexuiz as development shifted to the Nexuiz community, and went on to develop Capsized and are currently working on Apotheon.
      The guy who owned the rights to the name Nexuiz splintered off from this group some years back and formed Illfonic, who are the developers of CryEngine 3 Nexuiz.
      After the announcement of Nexuiz as a closed-source project by Illfonic, the community forked it, and renamed it Xonotic.

Bit of a clusterhump all in all.

• bear912 says:

Alientrap’s name is clear. That’s nice to know. I rather liked Capsized.

4. SquareWheel says:

Any news on the business model? If it’s “pay us real money for a weekend of over-powered guns”, then it’s not even worth looking into.

• sneetch says:

The business model seems to be buy the game and play it. No Free2Play & Pay2Win stuff here. Rather refreshing, really.

5. marsilainen says:

Quake Tournament Arena!

I likes it.

6. simoroth says:

Is it really a good idea for THQ to try and compete in the online FSP arena? Its a very tough market to crack and its not like they have the fortitude to withstand the risk.

7. brulleks says:

I vote we start referring to this game as ‘Next Whizz’ until the developers submit and come up with a decent name for it.

8. deadly.by.design says:

It looks like Unreal Tournament with E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy’s art direction.

9. MadMatty says:

meh. its 1995 again

• terry says:

Er, what?

• jon_hill987 says:

2004 maybe, Quake didn’t even come out until 1996 and the genera reached is peak with UT2004.

• Beelzebud says:

Let me guess. You weren’t actually old enough to use a PC in 1995, right?

• MadMatty says:

Allright, 2000 then- the gameplay is the same as Q3 tho – just shinier.

@Beelzebud You´re not very good at guessing.

• cunningmunki says:

And that’s a bad thing because…?

Quake Live seems to be doing ok.

10. HaZiLLa says:

ZZZzzzzzzz, I’m still waiting for the next Quake 3, can someone make one please

• cunningmunki says:

There is, and it’s FTP like this. It’s called Quake Live.

11. TsunamiWombat says:

*watches* Running around not actually shooting anything – the game!

Seriously, stop running around the fucking level and show off the gunplay.

12. Text_Fish says:

I thought this was supposed to be aimed at the pro/competitive scene? Just looks like another flukey spamfest like UT to me.

13. Cytrom says:

Looks like Unreal Tournament for dummies. All the weapons are easy mode with big splash damage, combined with devastating power. And hold button for automatic bunnihopping.. lol. On top of that the gameplay looks slower than UT and way slower than quake. The gun models are ridiculously huge and the map layout is awful, and its a total visual mess.

As much as I love oldschool fast paced shooters, this just looks like a bad mishmash of quake and UT with severely dumbed down gameplay. Surprizingly enough it doesn’t have regenerating health at least.

The depth and high skill ceiling is what gave those arena shooters longevity.

• wazups2x says:

Agree completely.

This doesn’t look nearly as skilled as Quake. The reason I play Quake is for the reward of getting better, I don’t want to play a casual version of Quake.

14. Hvr says:

Still too slow-paced and ‘clean’!!! Ah man, I miss these good old UT GOTY times! “Die, bitch!”

15. bear912 says:

I don’t want to pass judgement on this game until it’s been given some time, but essentially harvesting a name from an open source project seems a bit dirty.

Also, airshots or GTFO.

16. Arcanon says:

Unreal Tournament inside a pinball machine at half speed…

I’ll stick with Tribes: Ascend