Jane’s Advanced Strike Fighters Given March 9 Lift-Off

By Craig Pearson on February 29th, 2012 at 4:50 pm.

Why do jets look sad to me?
Precocious, pondering, prattish younger me used to stand in game shops holding Jane’s Combat Simulation games, marveling at the heft of the box, the grandeur of the screens, imagining Jane at her desk, making a game and being so proud she’d put her name to it. I was stupid. Now I know better: Jane is the second name of military enthusiast Fred T. Jane, and he died in 1916. He didn’t make those games, although given that they were basically manuals made into gaming form, with his love of detailing military hardware he’d probably have enjoyed their elegant air battles and cockpit rendering. As for the latest incarnation, Jane’s Advanced Strike Fighters, being released a full decade after the last one, I’m pondering how he’d react. The video below looks fun, sure, but I’m sensing developers Evolved GamesTrickstar have taken a bit of a diversion around realism.

Like when the two jets clip each other at high speed. The pilots end up a lot less dead than I expected.

Like I said: fun. It has all the charms an actiony, shooty, onliney action game should: four-player co-op, some pretty weather effects, 30+ jets and a large terrain, but I wonder if Mr Jane would be quite as thrilled with it compared to the previous series?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pegolius says:

At least this thing is not worth connecting a joystiq to a computer. That would be like using a steering weel+pedals to play World of Tanks. It’s sad to see a name that once stood for realistic sims being used to sell arcade flyshoots.

2. Brun says:

Still won’t be as good as Falcon 4.

3. Snuffy the Evil says:

Oh man I LOVED Jane’s F-15. I was only a kid so I was absolutely terrible at it, but it was a simulator of the plane my dad flew which naturally made it the best thing ever.

It’s a shame this newer title seems to be nothing more than a subpar Ace Combat clone.

4. huw says:

Not sure why Jane’s would put their name to this. Not to sound snobbish – I’m sure there’s a nice, big demographic out there who really enjoy this type of game. But I’ve always associated Jane’s with proper simulators, which this clearly isn’t.

It must make nice money for them, I guess.

• Torgen says:

This may be a shovelware release to retain rights to using the Janes name on computer games, and not some new agreement between the defense analyst people and EA.

5. kyrieee says:

How foolish of me to think this was a sim

6. Jimbo says:

Jane can lift off my advanced strike fighter any day.

7. DogKiller says:

The word on the grapevine is that this is absolutely terrible. Worse than HAWX or whatever the hell the Ubisoft series is called. I miss the old Janes games. Well, figuratively speaking. I’ve pretty much got all the games the Janes\EA brand came out with. Still play them, too, and they hold up excellently today if you can get them to work properly. F-15 is one of my favourites, along with Longbow 2 and F/A18.

8. Fishbed says:

’nuff said…

“The “return” of the Jane’s label should have been avoided completely rather than be associated with a game like this one. Jane’s was once a powerhouse, delivering titles like Longbow, F-15, and the ne plus ultra of simulations, F/A-18. It’s best that we have those memories to look back on, rather than try to recapture them. Like the ones we had in high school, going to the Texxas Jam with a girl wearing a pleather miniskirt and tube top. Remember?

It would have been a good idea for Jane’s to have avoided being associated with this game, because in the event that they did try to make something more challenging and more like their titles of yesteryear, no one will be interested because all they’ll remember is this one. Kinda like how no one wants to buy a new Metallica album because they all remember St. Anger.”

I hope that our gentle and noble innkeepers will have the good taste to make for such an infamous entry by quickly telling us wot they think about a fine game like Wargame:EE, rather than keep on beating up some month-old dead donkey!
    Actually, I can beat it up for you if it helps.

• BAshment says:

st anger is there best (only good) album.

as for jane it really confuses me why publishers use niche titles to relaunch as a complete new game its like syndicate why not just create a new series.

9. skoeldpadda says:

As wrongly named as this game may be, it’s still fairly enjoyable to play. It’s full of low budget arcade fun with pretty planes and infinite ammo to blow stuff up. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting anything much : this is made by guys behind Heroes of the Pacific and Heroes Over Europe, with less than half the budget they had when they were backed by Ubisoft.

10. Echo Black says:

This looks like Ace Combat…Which is a cool series, but not what I would expect from a “Jane’s” title.

• westyfield says:

I wish they’d bring Ace Combat to the PC. I had such good fun with The Belkan War (PS2) and Skies of Deception (PSP), and I’d love to play a super-shiny HD version with a joystick. Sadly Jane’s Advanced Strike Fighters does not look like Ace Combat to me.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Eh, Ace Combat has gone downhill with that abomination that is Assault Horizon. I would rather run AC 3, 4 and 5 on an emulator.

• Nater says:

Janes: Ace Combat

Too bad, I was hoping for a good modern combat sim with multiple aircraft. Been a long time.

11. Moni says:

These planes look sort of happy. Not jets though, maybe making flappy proppy noises makes them cheerier.

12. bambusek says:

This is going to be released on consoles too, so of course there is no chance for sim. Trailer looks more like another game from H.A.W.X serie (that was quiet good, at least first game, but even in assistance off mode it was nowhere near sim). Another good, old and respected serie going down because someone is trying to make a mainstream console game. Sad.

• Joshua says:

Consoles in combination with “No chance for a sim?”

I think Birds of Prey / Wings of Prey begs to differ, since it has quite a bit of simmy stuff going for it.

• Echo Black says:

Wings of Prey would be an extremely light, arcade “sim”. I’m trying to imagine something like DCS AC-10 Warthog or Black Shark being played on a console and it’s just not working. Over 150 commands!

13. RogB says:

got excited at the name, then watched the video

looks like a budget PS2 game. :(

14. Nero says:

Not a big history with flight sims but it’s still sad to see this new trailer. The sim I spent the most time with was Super EF2000, could barely land the planes though :(

15. molten_tofu says:

Third person view with HUD? Nope, no thanks.

16. kzrkp says:

Why are sims taboo in mainstream games, anymore? Did people abruptly get stupider in recent history?

• DennisK4 says:

PC gamers used to dominate the scene and were a smart bunch. Then the consoles drew in a lot of ehh….not so…..techy?…people to gaming and now thats where the big bucks are.

But flight sims are still being made they just don’t get much attention from the media which is almost exclusively aimed at those other gamers.

• Gary W says:

Maybe

However, the flight sim eventually disappeared up its own meticulously-riveted posterior and lost its sense of fun. Ironically, Strike Commander, Crimson Skies and OpFlash ArmA: CWA are the best games with (terrestrial) flight in them.

• kzrkp says:

Crimson Skies! Now there’s something that needs revisiting! I’m not sure if it even runs properly on windows 7.
      Related, Research Indicates doing a Crimson Skies let’s play that I need to sit down and continue watching. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL53A77D6A7A1EE2B1&feature=plcp

17. buzzmong says:

A Jane’s game that’s not a sim?

Oh :(

18. jonfitt says:

I was always more of a DID and Digital Integration fan. But it’s sad to see the once mighty Jane’s turn to this arcade nonsense.
    Health bars, recharging missiles…

19. MistyMike says:

Why is this game named after a girl? I thought jet fighter sims are for boys.

20. Eater Of Cheese says:

The story is incorrect. This game was not developed by Evolved, it was developed by Trickstar, which once was another game studio that made quite a few air combat games – Heroes over Europe, Heatseeker, Heroes of the Pacific.

Good old facts and games journalism…

EDIT: Craig is clearly a horrible person (forgot to mention this in original post, but Craig pointed it out. Thanks!)

21. Discopanda says:

Jane’s WWII fighters was my favorite as a youngster. Hopefully they bring back the WWII planes!

22. rockman29 says:

What the hell is this crap. I was expecting some simulation like my favourite F22 Lightning 3… failll…

Oh well… there’s always Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 to play now :-)

Though I still miss the mesmerizing Jane series for which I always relished in not know what the hell to do and always feeling like there’s was something more to experience :-)

23. Shadowcat says:

It’s perhaps worth remembering that the “Jane’s Combat Simulations” brand was not always focussed on realism.

The titles ranged all the way from the “sim-lite” approach of the U.S. Navy Fighters series (culminating in Fighters Anthology), all the way up to the hard-core detail of F/A-18, and there was plenty in between.

Now granted, I didn’t even see a cockpit in that new trailer, so one suspects they’re not even pretending with this one, but you could say it’s just another point on the sliding scale.

24. siegarettes says:

I keeping seeing these titles at my local used bookstore and the logo always throws me of for a bit and makes me think that it’s Jet Set Radio Future on the PC do to the similar font. Then I come to my senses and cry a little.

I think its made me resent this series a little.

25. propjoe says:

I had literally the same thought about the Jane’s name when I was younger. And given that I’ve barely thought about the franchise since its heyday, I was actually under that impression until about five minutes ago. Anyway, learning the truth has been incredibly disappointing.

26. max pain says:

Weren’t Jane’s games on the sim side in the good ol’ days?

27. disperse says:

CHAFF! CHAFF!
    CHAFF! CHAFF!
    CHAFF! CHAFF!

28. cassus says:

Man, I wish I was 11 again.. This would have blown my mind, probably… I was a pretty dumb child.

Comment on this story