Livelock: Interstellar Marines’ Deadlock

By Jim Rossignol on February 29th, 2012 at 9:48 am.

A year ago we spoke to Zero Point about their extraordinarily ambitious Unity-powered tactical sci-fi shooter, Interstellar Marines. They told us about how they were largely relying on the support of the community, and pre-order packages, to get the game made. To that end they’ve been releasing a few bits and piece of technology to their pre-ordering folk, and the biggest release so far appeared yesterday, and is detailed in a video below. Deadlock 0.3.0 is a multiplayer game mode that should, the devs explain, give players a better taste of the vision they have for the game. It’s also the first thing that Zero Point have released in some time, so it must come as a relief to those who have shelled out cash for the project. See below for more.

, .

1. fela says:

I find projects like this terribly awesome and gives me great hope.

This is what games should be about: art and passion – not industry.

• Syra says:

I’m pretty sure I first heard about this when I left highschool, so, is that 6 years + in development? I hadn’t even heard from zero point in the last few years, I always wondered when I would get to shoot at shark-rat things.

It’s nice to see they are still alive maybe, but I’m not convinced this is giving anyone hope for sustainable tripleA indie projects. It’s the kickstarter dilemma but stretched out over a hell of a scale, with an unproven developer. I really hope I’m wrong in the end but I’m inclined to think it will either be stuck in development hell, or come out and be sub-par.

• Doomsayer says:

Interesting, but that article was published 2 years ago. I would like to know what their funding is like now.

• Shuck says:

@ FalseMyrmidon: That it’s not really crowd-funded can only be a good thing, actually. Crowd-funding works fine for a small game with say 3 developers working for six months, but for anything larger than that (such as 20 people working for multiple years), the model falls apart as the potential for problems increases. The thing is, most games under development don’t actually get finished and released. The larger and more ambitious the game, the more likely that is to happen, whatever the funding source. When I see crowd-funded games, I get nervous, as I’m waiting for a widely hyped crowd-funded game to collapse and make everyone cynical about crowd-funding; I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time until it happens.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

Presuming that Zero Point are a small company as they are relying on their customers: this looks excellent, but I always find it surprising when very small companies try to go toe-to-toe with the big boys and create a graphics-focused FPS. Surely, this is the genre where there are the most big competitors and where having huge wads of money to through around makes the most difference. Best of luck to them though.

• Kollega says:

Thing is, indie developers are creative, and creative people don’t like to be limited by their format. I know it since i’ve come up with a few ideas for games, as any gamer is prone to do, and many of those ideas were/are “expensive FPS with a twist”, or even “expensive FPS done right”. This looks like an instance of latter. Hope that explains it.

3. sneetch says:

As someone who did shell out cash for it after your last article I was initially quite confused; what the hell is “Interstellar Marines” and why am I getting e-mail for a game I never even heard of? Then it all came flooding back. I hope it goes well for them, the engine is looking good (I like the way the RDS has to “settle” after you move the weapon) and if not then it was worth the “risk” and the cash

4. caddyB says:

Why is Future Cop LAPD on the background in that screenshot?

• Havok9120 says:

Your recognition of Future Cop warms my heart.

I loved that game. The skirmish mode was loads of fun.

• SlyDave says:

Someone needs to remake that game, seriously. Kickstarter… anyone…?

• Jim9137 says:

I am not sure how many times I walked the desolate highways, doing the “good thung”.

5. Stevostin says:

Did someone play it already ? What is it worth ?

6. CossRooper says:

I love their development strategy. This and Heroes and Generals really get me pumped for the future of FPS’s. They’ve got my support.

Not my money, but definitely my support. Yeah.

7. L3TUC3 says:

I hear you Command & Conquer style death screams.

8. Kollega says:

You know, the only thing i don’t get about this game is why they have such a cliche backstory. If i would be in charge of writing a justification for a modern-esque, realistic tactical shooter, i would probably set it in a parallel universe on an Earth-like planet where the political situation conspicuously resembles the Cold War, and the technology is roughly equal to that of an Information Age. Modernwarfarepunk, if you will – or… something. I don’t know. The point is, the justification for “modern-combat-but-not-quite” could be a lot more esoteric than what they have, since the company is indie and dosen’t have to answer to shareholders.

• Novack says:

Yeah, I agree. I looks like they are talking a lot about freedom, without actually using that freedom to create something innovative. Then again, maybe the innovation is on the gameplay, as they are going for a product that is likely beyond what a small team can do in a short time span.

In relation to that, there is another thing that bothers me, and is the pretentious marketing on “Help Change the Gamming History” (???). Or the pedant “AAA Indie” (???). I mean, sounds like pushing yourself up, by diminishing the whole Indie scene.

Im glad this fellas be doing what they are doing, is just that their marketing slogans read a bit adolescent.

9. Brahms says:

The gunfeel and immersion in some of the earlier preview builds was lovely. would be great to see some kind of Stalker esque game with that kind of stuff.

10. end0rphine says:

That map really reminded me of stalker.

11. Olivaw says:

I really wonder about this game. Is it ever going to come out proper?

I mean, there’s always Kickstarter, but who knows how many people will pledge for a game called “Interstellar Marines”

12. InternetBatman says:

The guy’s voice in the video sounds like the stormtroopers from the new Star Wars movies / Battlefield II.

13. jellydonut says:

The game has potential. I see releasing incremental demos of partial gameplay functionality isn’t doing the developers any favors with the reactionary knee-jerk part of the PC gamer demographic, though..

Oh well. I’ll wait patiently, I’m sure the end result will be quite pleasing. I foresee some kind of co-op game mode that could live on for quite a while with community additions and things like that.

14. newprince says:

This looks very dull on top of adding nothing new to the genre. I like ambition and innovation, but just because something is ‘indie’ does not mean it contains them.