Sim City 5 Is Founded

By Alec Meer on February 29th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

EGA! EGA! EGA!

One of the many problems with games publishers continuing to give exclusive early game reveals to magazines is that the vast majority of the world’s gaming populace ends up basing its initial opinions of the game on hurried summaries and blurry scanned screenshots on forums. The lure of the free advertising in newsagents that a game magazine cover constitutes, even in this day of catastrophically low print sales, is too hard to resist, I guess.

So here we are hearing, via forumy types sharing info from the latest edition of German mag Gamestar, that Sim City 5 is happening at long last, and is presumably the Maxis game set to be revealed at GDC next week.

We’ll be barraged with trailers and pictures and details and all that jazz around about then, no doubt. In the meantime and if you absolutely must look at scans and translated summaries, you probably already know the kinds of places to go look. Us, we’re content to avoid re-summarising third-hand information and instead to simply acknowledge that a new Sim City is on its way. Also, to hope that our own John Walker will see it when he’s at GDC, and that he will find it to be a far stronger offering than Sim City Societies was.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pilouuuu says:

This and Doom 4 leaked screenshots are the best sequel related news!

• CaspianRoach says:

Oh my, these look great, too bad console hardware hasn’t aged too well.

• int says:

Have they made Sim Mars yet? If they did they could have a shoot em up mode which was like Doom.

You zoom down to street level like Simcopter and Streets of Sim City.

• pilouuuu says:

@CaspianRoach: it’s out in 2013, so maybe it can use DX11 features extensively. SimCity games never been that much about graphics anyway IMHO.

@int: I think there was going to be a Sim Mars, but it was cancelled. I’m still annoyed by how Maxis screwed Spore up though…

• InnerPartisan says:

@pilouuuu:
      Haven’t they? As far as I remember, Sim City 4 was a Juggernaut in terms of hardware requirements when it came out. And both 2000 and 3000 looked terribly nice for their time.

• pilouuuu says:

@InnerPartisan: Yes, they looked great indeed. But I mean is that I can’t see a strategy game being such a hardware hog these days in which we have the likes of Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2. If you can run those, undoubtly you should be able to run SimCity 5 in all its glory and details. But it also means that it’ll be somewhat limited in its awesomeness by the current generation of consoles. Also I must stress the fact that I think that SimCity games looked amazing, but it was not the most important thing. What matters the most is the gameplay and no game so far could match SimCity 4, even (especially) SimCity Societies.

• Khemm says:

Those Doom 4 leaked screenshots suck. Doom 4:Modern Warfare, Doom was never set in the present.

• MisterT says:

2012: year of great sequels

(also, Gabe has a something we want for E3 this year)

• Joshua Northey says:

“Yes, they looked great indeed. But I mean is that I can’t see a strategy game being such a hardware hog these days in which we have the likes of Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2. If you can run those, undoubtly you should be able to run SimCity 5 in all its glory and details. But it also means that it’ll be somewhat limited in its awesomeness by the current generation of consoles. Also I must stress the fact that I think that SimCity games looked amazing, but it was not the most important thing. What matters the most is the gameplay and no game so far could match SimCity 4, even (especially) SimCity Societies. ”

A) Most of the biggest resource hogs out there are strategy games.
      B) The Simcity games have always been huge resource hogs.
      C) It is a lot easier to upgrade your graphics card (which is what FPS’s tax) than it is to upgrade everything else (which is what strategy games tax).
      D) Simcity was awesome, but also a tiny bit disappointing as they botched the commuting model very badly and the regions never interacted properly. I hope they can take the ideas from CitiesXL and then put the quality and polish into them that Simcity4 had.

• noom says:

Are those Doom 4 screens actually verified? Because I’m tempted to call BS on those. And if they are real, then I’m upset. I still want Doom 4 to go back to the nonsensical slaughtershouses of 1 and 2, with secret doors, keycards and huge hordes of enemies appearing out of nowhere. In other words the complete opposite of those screenshots.

If they are real I think I may cry myself to sleep tonight.

• moashdfg says:

Time to boot up Sim City 4 to get in the mood early; which by the way still runs like crap on my modern pc. Here’s hoping they have a more optimized game this time around.

2. MiniMatt says:

Oh god damn it, according to steam I’ve 662 hours put into Civ5. A new Sim City is just going to destroy me.

3. Cryptoshrimp says:

Oh please let this be good.

4. FriendlyFire says:

Sim City 5? What the… Am I dreaming? Will we see an announcement for Freespace 3, Homeworld 3 and Freelancer 2 next? Maybe HL2:EP3?

This really just made my day. Let’s hope Will Wright is working on it.

5. crazydane says:

OH SWEET JESUS YES. The best part is that it can’t be any worse than SimCity Societies. SimCity 4 could really do with a makeover and the Cities XL series has never really filled the empty hole that it left behind. Maxis better make this a good one.

Oh noes. This will be on Origin… won’t it? *cries*

6. Leaufai says:

Wow, this is welcome news to say the least. Games like CitiesXL have advanced the genre with off-grid building but those games never seem to capture the feel that the SimCity games have. Wonder what Maxis will come up with. Too bad Will Wright isn’t with them anymore, he’d knock this out of the park.

7. Splynter says:

I literally gasped when I read this headline, and I never gasp. I hope so much that it’s good.

• Smashbox says:

So did I, then I was overcome with a wave of giddiness, followed by dread. Weird as it may sound a GOOD new SimCity is my biggest game development wish, by a long way. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much, but I really hope this is a good, complex city sim.

8. Moni says:

I’m hoping they can squeeze the Frostbite destruction tech in, unlikely though.

9. krisanto says:

Cool! Can’t wait for the DLC packs for Landmarks and Advisors.

10. The Dark One says:

You all raise good points, but the number one feature SC5 must have in order to recapture the spirit of the series is a jazzy soundtrack.

11. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I predict that it will be Facebook-only.

12. nimzy says:

All I need is Dies Irae to start playing when I cut funding to transportation and I’ll be set.

13. Blackcompany says:

They’ll probably make it an FPS.

14. Leelad says:

As long as i’m able to reticulate splines MANUALLY i’d be happy with anything.

CitiesXL have been an OK filler but lacking something, Fingers crossed for something wonderful.

15. Kollega says:

Well, shit, will you look at that. I wanted a decent city simulator for a long time now, since SC4 is… more than a little outdated. Let’s just hope that our beloved Electronic Antichrist dosen’t fuck it up as badly as some people here predict, and that the game will actually be decent.

16. tsmike says:

Here’s hoping Jerry Martin will be composing the soundtrack again. Simcity has some excellent music.

Please don’t be some dumbed-down, console port with ridiculous DLC. Please!

17. Jimbo says:

What’s the circulation of GameStar?

• DdCno1 says:

Ca. 120.000, the biggest PC only gaming magazine in Germany, although far from former greatness. I remember them selling more than 200.000 copies each month a few years ago.

18. Tokamak says:

Well, after the last few terrible Sim Society games I can’t say I’m particularly looking forward to this.

19. Sardonic says:

Here’s to hoping that the game won’t be ruined by the taint of consoles. PC Exclusive or don’t make it.

20. Bobtree says:

Unless they’ve somehow gotten Will Wright back, I don’t think I care. SimCity4 was a mess, and Maxis have made nothing but Sims and Spore franchise stuff since then.

21. BULArmy says:

Over at Kotaku there are some leaked screens, so it is real.

22. DennisK4 says:

“Your sims are out of water – download ‘Big Gulp Reservoir’ DLC for only $2.99!”

23. SwiftRanger says:

Sounds like the issue at hand has more to do with the one spreading the information online rather than the actual source. I seriously hope that RPS (which is ex-PCG UK all over the place) isn’t implying that exclusives in print mags should die out? I recall a couple of exclusives which were launched on this site as well you know. Maybe you should let go of those too as sites and gaming forums might misquote the lot of you? One doesn’t need blurry scans or another language than his/her own to misread things.

Print isn’t always perfect but it’s more pleasing to read than a website imo. I also don’t have access to internet all the time but I do want to read stuff about games whenever I want. Print mags are lagging behind in timely updates for obvious reasons so getting exclusives seems like a bit more important for them.

I can understand the point that quotes of quotes of quotes and articles written in another language than your saintly English could lead to misinformation or misguided early expectations but that’s not the fault of the print magazine (nor of the publishers doing the exclusive deal). As if gaming sites always present game information in such an accurate way when their source is another site or even their own preview article.

As for Sim City 5; never really cared for the franchise but it’s good to see EA doing another PC title.

24. Mctittles says:

Excited!

25. MistyMike says:

Sim City is good. SERF City is better.

26. Creaturemagic says:

That would suggest Maxis has nothing to do with the SimCity Franchise anymore.

• Bhazor says:

Hmm, good point.

Speaking of the Sims Studio I really didn’t care for the MMO lite approach they took with Sims 3 in over complicating the system. Colour me cautious.

• RedViv says:

Maxis’ most recent sim game was Spore. The Sims Studio has been created before that, and is only developing the titular series. SimCity will be made by Maxis, in whatever state that studio is right now, after the not-as-good-as-imagined Spore, and the worse-than-imagined spin-off.

• Jimbo says:

There are some major elements from Spore which could work really well in Sim City though. Like the creation tools (something similar could be used for custom buildings, roads, everything) and the tech for sharing content between users. Throw in some Forza style trading over the top of it and they could be on to a winner.

27. roguewombat says:

Sad day. I thought the image on the article indicated that the original Sim City was being remade via HTML5. Alas, thou hast misled me.

28. rockman29 says:

@Author: Just quick correction: the game should be called SimCity 5.

I always used to spell it Sim City 5 as well. I only recently realized the game is called SimCity hahaha.

Anyhow…

I need this game. I need it to be good. My life depends on it! I hope it looks like those concept arts…

Ze game to end all ze games… I am ready for more SimCity… please for the love of jeebus be another amazing true SimCity!

29. cw8 says:

I’m more worried that the game will suck like Simcity Societies than actually being happy for the news.

30. L3TUC3 says:

Oh fraptious day!

I’ve spent some good times in SC4 and RH. I found it great fun to create a grand metropolis and then destroy it. I hope SC5 will continue the Maxis magic with plenty of llamas.

31. Jim9137 says:

I wish it would have pixels

perhaps in a slightly twisted angle

arranded by the prettiest color to the pretty

I would not mind blowing

up things a little

up them to sky

up love

screenshots

32. Megadyptes says:

I have a bad feeling about this.

Comment on this story