BioShock Infinite Out Oct 16th US, 19th Internationally

By Craig Pearson on March 1st, 2012 at 1:16 pm.

October 19th! October 19th! October 19th!
In the RPS “When is BioShock Infinite Out?” sweepstakes, Jim Chose Oct 17th, John Oct 18th, Alec Oct 20th, Adam Oct 21st, and I swung in with September 19th 7019. It turns out none of us have particularly well-defined psychic powers, and I was WAY off: mark October 19th down on your calendar as “National BioShock Infinite release day”. That sweet trailer from December is below, to soothe your beating hearts.

Now I know exactly when I need to get my Liz costume sorted.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Kid_A says:

Oh boy, 3 days of avoiding spoilers just because Gamespot and American vendors hold some kind of thrall over the games market.

• ScottTFrazer says:

If we’re down to 3 days between international releases, are we looking at something as simple as: Traditionally US releases happen on Tuesday and everywhere else happens on Friday?

Or maybe it’s a metric system thing.

• lurkalisk says:

Tuesday/Friday standard scenario. It’s a bad thing and all, but 3 days is such a minuscule difference, I just don’t know why people really care all that much.

• TCM says:

Three days is the amount of time it takes physical copies to ship to me after release.

I have never once been spoiled in that period.

Frig, I went unspoiled for MGS4 for the better part of 4 years, because I wanted to play it and didn’t have a PS3. If you stay off the big game sites for a couple weeks, talk tends to die down, and spoilers become much less casual and EVERYWHERE.

• Archonsod says:

It’s an outrage and someone should boycott it.

Don’t look at me, I’m already boycotting it on account of the last two games being shite.

2. GT3000 says:

Ahem…[-Gargles water and spits.-]…USA! USA! USA!

3. Anthile says:

Yes, that is quite an irrational release date. Stupid oceans.

4. Drayk says:

They don’t get it, do they… Different release dates makes the game of pirates. Even 3 days is enough.

• MasterDex says:

Something tells me that the developers and publishers don’t have a lot of choice. They release based on a system that’s likely hard to break out of. I recall someone saying that chart tracking had something to do with it. It’s only three days though – Three days as an excuse to pirate is a weak argument.

5. Alexander Norris says:

So what exactly happened to RPS’ “no electronic oceans” platform?

6. Harkkum says:

I hereby announce that I will drink milk on 10th of November 2012. Pre-orders accepted.

7. stele says:

This is an outrage! There is no way staring at her cleaving will hold me over for three whole days! I demand more cleavage shots!

8. MistyMike says:

My only concern is that the game will try to oversell the idea of “I’m a helpless little girl, protect me!” for maximum emotional impact. And the result will be hammy as hell.

• Lars Westergren says:

MY main concern is that I may have already guessed some major plot twists. I won’t repeat them here for spoiler reasons though. I wish RPS had a “spoiler” tag to black stuff out like Reddit does.

• MistyMike says:

Lars, spoilers only count when you actually *know* for a fact what happens. There’s no harm speculating! Out with it man!

• Lars Westergren says:

Ok, you have been warned. I’ll hint.

**SPOILER ALERT**
      China Mieville: the Scar. The ending, esp Dhoul = Bioshock Infinite. Elisabeth
      ***END SPOILER***

9. Khemm says:

Another boring dumbed down System Shock rip off like Bioshock or will it actually be something good this time?

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I’m ambivalent about blocking Khemm, sure his comments are like a gaping, musty asshole of bitterness which he feels everyone has to know about… but the ever depreciating comedic value? Surely that must count for something… right?

• Khemm says:

What’s your problem again? I thought this is the place where you express your opinions, thoughts and so on. Can you stop being so obsessed with me to the point you had to post something for the whole world to see and focus on the game this article’s about instead?

If you thought Bioshock was good, then you’re very tolerant. It ripped off SS2 completely, only removed the elements that made it solid.

• Chris D says:

@Tyrone

You’re right. It’s tempting to block out all the “Rrraaargh Steam!!!” stuff but then you’d be missing comic gems like this.

• MistyMike says:

@ Khemm

System Shock II and Bioshock were designed by the same person, Ken Levine. The latter is a ‘spiritual successor’ of the former.

This makes your assumptions of ‘ripping off’ completely absurd, unless it is possible to effectively rip off yourself.

• mentor07825 says:

A discussion between Khemm and Wizardy should be in order.

However, I do agree with Khemm’s second comment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Khemm says:

@Mike
      I already knew that, thank you very much. What you’re implying is that one person cannot rip off another game he once made and completely fail at it?

• One Pigeon says:

I disagree, having played both SS2 and bioshock, I thought they were both fun in their own ways.

• MistyMike says:

@Khemm

‘Ripping off’ implies theft, exploitation, swindle, plagiarism… that sort of thing. In case of copying your own work ‘creative stagnation’ appears to be a more fitting term.

• magnus says:

Now you’re just getting silly, troll much? At least It makes a change from anti-steam whinges, but there’s still the chance it’ll be announced that Bioshock:Infinite will be using steam works. (facepalm)

• fish99 says:

I wouldn’t use the term rip off, but you’re right to say Bioshock, while not a bad game (in fact I quite enjoyed a lot of it), was a shallow immitation of the seminal System Shock 2, possibly the best game ever made. It had all the cleverness ripped out of it, and……probably sold better for it :(

10. cpy says:

This is open support for piracy. 3 days? Unless it stays uncracked for longer, i see people pirating just to show they don’t like 3 days wait time.

• Drayk says:

Exactly. Never underestimate the rage of a game addict !

• Apples says:

It is sort of funny that game companies are willing to spend many manhours and chunks of budget on implementing progressively more draconian and complex DRM, and pass on that spending to the consumer in inflated prices, but are not willing to finally agree on universal release dates and prices.

Sorry, did I type funny? I mean depressing.

11. Skabooga says:

Am I the only one who thinks header screenshot makes it look like the woman is about to straight up punch the prostrate man?

12. Gary W says:

Get ready to stack crates watch overwrought scripted sequences.

13. lijenstina says:

This trailer is made from in-engine footage. Apart from the trailer ending which was made in the After Effects engine.

Comment on this story