Speculation: Assassin’s Creed 3 Is Coming To America

By Craig Pearson on March 1st, 2012 at 10:26 am.

Assassin's Thr33d!
The bones of Assassin’s Thr33d, as it must now forever be known, have been dug up by Kotaku, showing off a very assassiny looking person. He’s standing in front of a billowing American flag, wearing chaps and carrying flintlock pistol, a tomahawk, and a bow and arrows strapped to his back. He’s also covered in blood, as if he’s just stabbed a giant, sated leech. My conclusion: cosplayers everywhere have a new costume to copy, and that George Washington should probably invest in some stab proof colonial long johns.

It had to be a place with horses, didn’t it? That’s the only way Ubisoft could turn around another Assassin’s Creed game every year: keep the horses, build the rest of the game around it. Colonial America is very horsey. While I’ve grown to love the Ezio-flavoured sassy games, I can’t say I ever paid attention to the stories or managed to complete one. If I’m given a world to hop-skip-and jump around, there’s almost no chance of me wondering why I’m doing what I’m doing: I just run, jump and stab. So I can’t say if this fits into the overall lore particularly well, or if the story even needs it to. And I was personally hoping for Victorian London or Paris.

There’s an expected announcement coming March 5th, and the game’s due out in October (but probably Nobvember for the PC) this year, so look excited when they “reveal” it. Go on, it’ll make them feel better.

Via Kotaku.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Skud says:

I just can’t see a revolutionary America working very well. Reason being we had very under-developed cities, the revolution was fought very traditionally, the amount of firearms alone will make me cringe a bit…

I really think something like the French Revolution, set in Paris, would have been a better pick. Better, more urban setting, with better potential to host such a ridiculous story like in Assassin’s Creed thus far. It was shortly after the American revolution, so much of the technology would be the same, but I think the French just had more INTERESTING things going on. I mean, we’re talking about an Assassin’s Creed in early America – before the free masons were well established? Before the church was well established in America?

• Ett_1762 says:

I was thinking very much the same thing. While i never could get invested in the crazy story of the asscreed (hehehe) games and never played them full out, i quite liked the jumping around part. But it’s hard to imagine how this will be pulled off in this particular scenario. Make him jump from barn to barn? Or riding around in Red Dead Redemption style? Doesn’t fit, somehow.

• Ephaelon says:

Well in terms of location **SPOILERS*** , at the end of Revelations Desmond had been brought back to America so there’s a reason for that I suppose. Of course, that didn’t stop them from bringing him to another more building-friendly city in preparation for the third.

• PopeBob says:

While I tend to agree that Revolutionary America is perhaps an iffy choice, to say that all the cities in the late 18th Century were underdeveloped would be a falsehood. New York in particular was a fairly packed-together urban environment by wide-open American city standards due to its long history in the early colonial era.

• Ultra Superior says:

Half-native american, half bleach-coated devil. No one will be able to see through such clever deceit !

His ass is as sin!

Your quest: Kill the founding fathers, so that Bush & Obama won’t need to sneakily castrate the constitution with stunts like Patriot Act, NDAA, SOPA etc.

UBI FTW!

• sneetch says:

I hope that a lot of the action will be in the UK and France (London and Paris) not just small(?) settlements in the 13 colonies.

I will actually cry if you don’t get to assassinate someone in the Tower of London before they end the AC storyline.

EDIT: Ah, PopeBob points out that New York at least was fairly large… oh, I can’t wait to play a game set in New York, how original. ;) (Actually it will be interesting to play in a New York in that era).

• Urthman says:

And who among us didn’t play the previous AssCreed games exploring the rooftops of Venice, Rome, and Jerusalem thinking to ourselves, “I’d love to play a game like this set in New York City.”

2. PredOborG says:

The image enlargment is so bad… I can only scroll down the page but cant scroll down the image. It only shows the top part of it.

3. Terragot says:

Everyone knows America cannot into architecture. They just build high rises and slap a gaudy neon brand on it. Their idea of architecture is to make you feel like a worthless all consuming peon. Oh, is this a spotlight? Are Ubisoft creating a clever comment on advertising and peoples personal space? The cut-throated, back-stabbing methods to ensure rapid commercial growth. Stability by persistence of Goliath like attacks on peoples personal space? Instead of hay piles, we could have hot dog stands, it could be like, you know, an artistic statement about the high flyers crushing small businesses to ensure their safety.

USA, USA, USA

• jezcentral says:

Alternatively, they build their cities for function, efficiency and transport, unlike, say, the Europeans whose capitals bubbled out from forts and castles near rivers.

And when we build modern towns from scratch, we end up with Milton Keynes. :P

• AgamemnonV2 says:

@Terragot

Nothing like some good ol’ American bashing. It’s what all the cool kids are doing these days.

After having lived for ten months in a country modeled after European city planning, I have to say, I will take cold, hard edges and well-planned cities over the cities in which the city planner took a bunch of crayons and scribbled wildly to plot out streets. European cities are an absolute mess. Call it “charm” all you want, just don’t piss in my ear and tell me it’s raining.

Feast your eyes on a city that wasn’t designed by a toddler: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/HillsMap1796.jpg

Funnily enough Philly is probably where the majority of the story is going to be centered around in AC3.

• Khemm says:

“European cities are an absolute mess.”

Not really, European cities are pretty diverse, many were completely destroyed during the wars and had to be rebuilt basically from scratch, many evolved from their medieval or renaissance fabrics or retained them…
      Stop generalizing.
      Need I remind you how old American settlements are compared to their European counterparts?

• AgamemnonV2 says:

@Khemm

European cities are not a mess because of wars. They’re a mess because many of them are older than the concept of city planning. The other half to it is that they never thought they would ever need something larger than a goat path when it came to transportation.

I really don’t get your second part. Uh yeah, American cities are young compared to the rest of the world? Thanks for saying what I said? It’s the one reason why a lot of American cities are designed for efficiency.

• Sheng-ji says:

I have to agree that American cities are some of the finest planned cities anywhere in the world and gaudy is a matter of opinion and not one I share) – It’s no accident that every culture in any time period (except the designers of milton keynes) have settled on the grid pattern when they plan cities.

I do have to make a case for the way most European cities have grown (caveat: Excluding those with a significant period of growth bounded by city walls – those ones are an absolute mess). The organic way they have grown have been very conducive to allowing the way-fares which see the heaviest traffic expand and those which see none or very little shrink or disappear. The grid pattern is creaking due to the quantity of traffic trying to use it and while the same could be said of European cities road system, it can’t be denied that European town planners have an easier time solving problems with traffic flow – although once you get to the point where there is too much metal on too little concrete – London, Paris, New York et al – there really is nothing that can be done!

Still, I heartily disapprove of the casual racism and I’m guessing the OP was trolling

• Terragot says:

How on earth is disliking extreme corporate growth racist? And if I’m trolling, it’s for a reason.

My attack was on the american dream, and how it affects architecture, not with the town planning. I don’t like having a giant Ronald McDonald mascot stare at me as I try to find a toilet to commit my basic human needs. And I never said Europe was better, I was just adopting the theme Ubisoft has chosen for my comment and adding a bit of humour with imagining the series in a modern setting.

Here, have a link. http://thefoxisblack.com/2012/02/29/banksy-on-advertising/

• JackShandy says:

Neat, well-planned streets with sensible square buildings is the last thing you want in an assassins creed game.

• Sheng-ji says:

It was racist because you chose a culture and negatively stereotyped them according to your uneducated (Or educated by the daily mail) standpoint. Worse yet, you presented your opinion as fact.

And before you say it – Yes I’ve assumed you are uneducated in these matters. I made that assumption based on the evidence you presented. Exhibit 1: “Everyone knows America cannot into architecture” – Your first sentence. This does not scream “Oxbridge” to me.

But anyway back onto the subject matter at hand – True you may perceive, say, the Chrysler building as gaudy – but architecturally it says more about America and the time in which it was built than the Gherkin ever will. You may not enjoy the neon lighting of the empire states building, but such a structural and engineering feat was not simply thrown up!

Not let’s examine Selfridges, Birmingham – Gaudy, commercial, neon, cheap….

And really – you choose to make a stand against global commercialism, on a computer games website…. really! You think you’re going to change the world like this or are you just wasting everyone’s time with nonsense

• Craig Stern says:

“They just build high rises and slap a gaudy neon brand on it.”

Personally, I find that all those neon-lit high rises really ruin the mood of the 1770s for me.

• YourMessageHere says:

Just to clarify some stuff:

1. Disliking Americans in general isn’t racism, it’s cultural bias, because Americans aren’t a race. I suppose you could also call it cultural anti-imperialism, depending on how threatened you feel your culture is by the US dominance of media. Personally I feel it’s pretty damn overbearing just about everywhere.

2. Grid-patterned cities are fairly efficient. They are also incredibly boring, not only to be in physically, but also as game levels. Notice how GTA generally includes curves, because curves are interesting. If you must have grids, have multiple grids intersecting at angles – Tokyo is like that, and a fascinating place. The thing is predictability; the less of it you have, the more interesting it is, the more you need to remember it and the more memorable it will probably become.

3. The reason the Chrysler building and the Empire State stand out and are universally feted is that a) they are the high points of the style – nothing else like them is as good, and b) the vast majority of tall buildings are much less interesting or decorative. Oh, and c) they don’t have giant corporate logos on, but instead are rightly respected as architectural artworks.

4. Terragot’s link is superb, and 100% correct in every sense.

• Brun says:

“Corporations are out to get the little guy!”

“Anyone who has more money than me is by default a greedy and unethical cutthroat businessman who obviously cheated the system to make that money and could not have simply worked hard all his life!”

Yawn. Sounds like high school/college kid rhetoric to me. Can’t we dispense with this kind of garbage on RPS?

• Sheng-ji says:

“The reason the Chrysler building and the Empire State stand out and are universally feted is that a) they are the high points of the style – nothing else like them is as good”

Apart from:

Flatiron Building
      TWA Flight Center
      Grand Central Terminal
      St. Patrick’s Cathedral
      Shea Stadium
      Singer Building

God, that’s just off the top of my head, yeah – America is architecturally dead (Sarcasm).

Oh and you may want to tell America that they are not their own race, they’re just Europeans living a common culture. See what they have to say about it. Last time we tried to tell them that, they threw tea everywhere and shot us clean off the continent (Deliberately simplified for effect)

• YourMessageHere says:

Sheng-ji, you may want to read what you quoted of me again. Important features include the words ‘of the style’ and ‘like them’. Urban high-rise buildings, that’s what we’re talking about. I don’t really think listing houses, churches, bridges or museums has any relevance whatsoever, do you?

Fair enough, the New York Life building and 40 Wall Street are fairly striking, and of the same style, but I had to google them; the former I’ve never seen before, the latter I’ve seen but couldn’t name. I’m not saying America is architecturally dead, far from it. I’m saying that high-rise buildings are largely stylistically moribund and plagued with ‘safe’ design choices (with some exceptions, of course – I have to thank you for 8 Spruce Street, that’s really nice), and of those early skyscrapers, the Empire State and the Chrysler basically have no competition. There’s other styles that are also important and exceptional.

Also, the Condé Nast Building is a perfect example of a potentially interesting building that’s totally destroyed by advertising. I have real trouble even making out its overall shape due to the logos and crud stuck to it.

Finally, race. Race is about genetics, and arguably a little bit about cultural background too, but mostly genetics. Race is not about placing people from all over the world in a defined area and giving them the same passport. This is important. ‘American’ is not a race. It’s a nationality, it’s a culture, it’s an identity, but it’s not a race.

• RakeShark says:

Y’all need to visit Chicago and see just how architecturally diverse a US city can be. Next to a lake, divided by a river (which we engineered to flow BACKWARDS), and completely burnt to the ground before rising again. You can see maybe a taste of it in the new Batman movies, but those movies generally focus on the gothic architecture found on certain buildings.

Don’t let those 70′s/80′s stock footage keytar-soundtracked TV specials on “AMERICAN TRUCK FARMING: CONQUERING THE DIRTY RED COMMIE THREAT” fool you into thinking every US city looks like New York. Because New York sucks.

• Sheng-ji says:

I thought we were talking about architecture that might be good in an assassins creed game – I don’t even know why I included any skyscrapers in the first place (Actually I do – laziness – I knew I could name buildings EVERYBODY knows!).

Remember those safe design choices were anything but safe in the 1800′s and early 1900′s when they were being built – they were as striking and different as the shard is in London today. Sure, knock the guys who copied them around the world, but please give respect to the people who did it first! It’s like saying Wolvenstein 3d was a safe game to make because everybody is making first person shooters!

Couldn’t agree more about Chicago – Spent a month there being an architecture geek (Actually, Chicago may have actually made me into an architecture geek) – just long enough to know that I would need to spend several lifetimes to appreciate it properly!

• LMichet says:

Ohohohoho! As an American, I LOVE IT when people argue about whether to be nice to Americans. Because everything you’ve said so ‘edgily’ about us, we say about ourselves, multiple times a day, every day. Jump on board, Terragot. :/

That said, American cities in the 18th century were not terribly interesting. No, they weren’t exactly villages, but they were nothing at all like Paris or London. The real interesting expansions happened in the 19th century. Heck, Washington DC didn’t even exist– and when it WAS built, to touch on your silly argument about grids, it was THIS monstrosity:

I grew up in New England and have spent loads of time in the old parts of Boston and Philly. The kinds of buildings they built back then are simply not interesting– heck, my parents live in one. Wikipedia should be able to show you what I’m talking about:

They’ve got some charm and I do miss New England dearly, but I’m not fooling myself– colonial architecture is not on the same scale that previous games’ cities were.

However, I’m not freaking out about AC3. Ubisoft is not likely to drop the ball on this one– they’ve got no problem fictionalizing other parts of history, so they’ll probably fictionalize themselves some jumpable buildings. I’m willing to see what they do!

4. Anthile says:

I just wish they would stop making these games faster than I can play them. Why do they never think about me?! :(

5. Khemm says:

Assassin’s Creed as a series is a total failure, I lost all interest in it after Brotherhood. It’s shallow, boring, revolves purely around grindy activities and “assassinations” are the worst, completely underdeveloped part. Hell, stealth is the worst part in these games. Everything is scripted and restricts you in so many ways, you don’t have any freedom in killing your target. Just run up to him and stab and that’s only if the designers let you somehow sneak up to him, more often than not, you can’t even do that and “assassinations” turn into multi-staged boss fights. Yay.

Hitman does everything better, it’s very replayable and actually makes you feel like an assassin. Great mission design allowing you to dispose of your victim in various ways certainly helps a lot. Compared to everything Hitman offers, AC titles are stupidly primitive.

• jezcentral says:

I see you left Sales out of your list of “total failure”.

• Resonance says:

You’re missing the point if you’re comparing the Ass Creed games to Hitman, it’s very clear from the way they’ve designed the series isn’t trying to ape Hitmans re playability or even Assassin style of gameplay – it’s deliberately linear because it wants to tell a very specific story..

Maybe the original game was an attempt [to a degree] at what you’re describing but not the latest games.

• Khemm says:

@jezcentral
      Yeah… If this industry tought me something is that crappy games usually sell lots of copies.
      @Resonance
      Games can tell good stories without being linear – look at Thief. It gave you lots of freedom within the levels, yet its storyline was exceptionally strong, which is something I can’t say about Assassin’s Creed. AC would be miles better if it kept the huges cities formula, but turned major assassinations into mini-levels like in Hitman. I want to stab the target while he’s in his room, I want to sneak into his palace from the back, opened window, servants’ secret entrance, sewers, I want to be able to poison his food and so on. The game would be so much more interesting.

• Jimbo says:

But *apart* from the incredible commercial success and overwhelmingly positive critical reception, it’s a total failure.

• Khemm says:

@Jimbo
      Games like Oblivion also got overwhelmingly positive critical reception and everyone admits now they were trash and overrated.
      Besides, I remember the first AC being criticized a lot for being a glorified tech demo with hardly any gameplay, though only IGN had the guts to give it 7/10 or something like that, AC2 got praised for adding SOMETHING to do in those cities, too bad those new tasks were just as repetitive, only there were more of them than before. Brotherhood and Revelations didn’t get any super-favourable reviews either, if anything, reviewers considered them “more of the same”.

• JasonRabbit75 says:

“everyone admits now they were trash and overrated”

Who is this everyone and where can I find him/her?

• Ultra Superior says:

What pains me about AC franchise is – that they’ve destroyed the unbelievable potential they tapped – with the stupid genetic-memory-time-travel premise and the stupid “gamification” of everything.

It could’ve been another thief-like legend. It’s crap instead.

• Jimbo says:

@Khemm: You’re quite clearly wrong here, so let me see if I can help you find the words you’re flailing around for:

“I don’t like Assassin’s Creed.”

• Khemm says:

double post, sorry for that

• Khemm says:

@Jimbo
      I don’t hate it, I like some aspects of it, won’t say I flat out don’t like it… I don’t know. I’m just disappointed whenever I play AC1 or 2, because I keep telling myself “this I would do differently, this is horribly designed, this is boring, this would be so much better if…”

• Resonance says:

‘I hope you get the picture. It’s OK. Just OK. Nothing terrible, but nothing good either. That’s why I described AC’s design as a failure. It’s 100% wasted potential. ‘

Which brings us back to the aforementioned. You don’t like Assassins Creed. That’s ok, but that doesn’t make the franchise a ‘failure’ just because it’s not trying to achieve what you want it to. You want Thief or Hitman? Go play Thief or Hitman.

• Ninja Dodo says:

As much as some of the forced linearity bothers me, I’ve enjoyed the AC series so far, though I reached my saturation point with Brotherhood and haven’t tried Revelations. It would be interesting if they went more non-linear with it.

6. felisc says:

Still have trouble finding motivation to try this serie again after the shitty first one. I wish they would do an assassin’s'creed set in the future. I’m okay with horses as long as they have jetpacks.

• Resonance says:

I don’t know what to say beyond the Ezio trilogy is nothing like the original game [well it is, but not in terms of story structure]. You might as well give AC2 a go.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

AC2 is a genuine and big improvement over AC1, I wouldn’t really recommend AC1 to anyone but would recommend AC2 wholeheartedly.

• Khemm says:

AC2 has severely worse major assassinations than AC1 however, they’re super scripted. If you hated AC1, I’m pretty sure you’ll like 2 more, but only for a few hours – towards the end, you’ll get tired and sick of it, repetitiveness is still an issue.

• greenbananas says:

@ felisc

• Resonance says:

‘But we already have asscreed in the future, it’s called Mirror’s Edge (and a much better game than any of the ACs). ‘

The games are barely alike, outside of the obvious free-running mechanics [neither of which can really be compared due to the different viewpoints]. There’s no way you can really argue Mirrors Edge is a ‘better’ game than Assassins Creed…

• greenbananas says:

@ Resonance

Feel free to look up Khemm’s “Assassin’s Creed is a total failure (…)” comment above for a fairly accurate portrayal of my thoughts on asscreed.

“Ass” for Mirror’s Edge, my (TL;DR) opinion would be that it’s a criminally short, extremely intense romp, a striking-looking game with a fantastic aural make-up, with fast, challenging, satisfying gameplay as well being the first and still one of the very few games that manage to make first-person feel like first-person rather than just some floating head. Its brevity is a pretty negative point, but then much rather have little of something memorable than a lot of something vacuous (see: Oblivion) (and besides, it’s not like you’re going to pay full price for it at this point in time). It’s a better game.

“[neither of which can really be compared due to the different viewpoints]”

Different viewpoints? Ah yes, in one you hold “forward” and let the (admittedly very well animated) character do all the work, where in the other there’s proper platforming gameplay and a notion of challenge. I said ME was a better *game*, not a better movie.

• Nogo says:

greenbananas: Sure it’s pretty braindead if you want it to be, but the game generally allows you to do what you want. I managed to find creative and unorthodox ways to assassinate people and traverse the city, so I’m not sure which game you and Khemm were playing.

You can’t blame AC for being easy and linear when you constantly opt for the most obvious, telegraphed path. Sure, you could argue it’s bad design to force players to find their own challenge, but that’s a matter of taste, and kind of irrelevant considering they’ve implemented the idea formally with the 100% synch challenges.

7. yurusei says:

AssCreed3 is not happening in America.

‘Official’ trailer for AssCreed3 :

• Shar_ds says:

Blimey… clip 2 has an unexpected amount of claret!

• JB says:

Cheers, yuru, that was awesome.

And Shar_ds, you’re not wrong. Pretty gory!

• yurusei says:

True, a total 360 turn from the first clip.

• Anthile says:

>360 turn

Wat.

• Strange_guy says:

After the first clip I didn’t think there was enough killing people for merely being in his way or wrist mounted blades to be assassins creed. But clip 2 delivered. It even had landing in water being death.

Edit: I watched up to clip 4 and he was in a train heading towards a container which reads Metyl Isocyanate- the chemical that leaked in the Bhopal disaster. I guess it was about 30 years ago, but with the long term effects and campaigns for the company to take responsibility (the Yes Men claimed to represent the company and take responsibility in 2004) possibly still too soon.

8. ReservoirDog says:

Many people are complaining about the lack of major landmarks and buildings to climb in XVIII century US, but bear in mind this is probably going to be the first game in a series that will spawn many years within the time period, so there is still chance for Assassin´s Creed III Revelengeance to be set in the French Revolution and so on…

9. sonofsanta says:

But would they be brave enough to have a Native assassin and have the Founding Fathers as scions of the Templars? Can’t think it would help their sales much, nor keep the easily-enraged right wing media happy.

• yurusei says:

I’m guessing the Creed is helping the Continental Army, because of their fight for sovereignty from Great Britain and all the manner of corruption and greed brought from the British Isle. There might probably be an underlying story on how the Templars are leading the colonization of the Americas for their benefits in the guise of British governers etcetc, and portrayal of George Washington as a Leonardo-esque character for the sake of patriotism and respect for the star spangled banner.

• sonofsanta says:

So Assassin’s Creed: The Patriot, voiced by Mel Gibson?

• Wurzel says:

It looks like it’ll be set in the Philadelphia area according to the end of AssRev, and that’s where the independence movement really hit its stride. With Benjamin Franklin doing his experiments in the area there’s plenty opportunities for crazy anachronistic technology, too.

• Joshua says:

As George Washington apperently was a freemason, they miss a great chance for him NOT to be the villian. After all: Nothing is true..

10. apocraphyn says:

Assassin’s Creed 3: Red Dead Revolution.

I, uh…what’s he going to climb? Trees? Isn’t climbing around cities full of architectural wonders one of the primary facets of the Asscreed games?

• Grim_22 says:

My first thought as well. I suspect our new protagonist will start stacking his victims in large piles just to sate his genetic need for climbing something.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

I don’t really see a lot of potential targets for an assassin in an idependent 18th century country.

11. Hakkesshu says:

I don’t know, Assassin’s Creed: Gangs of New York is something that could potentially be pretty cool.

• lasikbear says:

If they got Daniel Day Lewis onboard I would never play another game.

12. tobias says:

Still should have been feudal Japan… sniff.

Perfect size architecture. Perfect weapons. Massive nerd appeal. A big western studio doing Japan themed game. It would sell like hotcakes.

Maybe they thought the idea too similar to Tenchu, but there hasn’t been a good Tenchu since the sequel on ps1.

• Jamesworkshop says:

AC is already a ninja game wrapped in a different cloth that Japan feels a bit redundent as a setting and I think they need something fresher as a setting but still conects with it’s very european basis with the large amounts of british,french and spanish settlers, thats not something that the Rome based) templars would ignore.

I wanted egypt as it really fits with magical ancient artifacts, the Americas doesn’t scream fighting over magical dohickies in quite the same way, America doesn’t provide a sence of history like the middle east or Rome with it’s fantastic quantities of art treasures provide.

13. pakoito says:

So they’re coming to an era only the Americans know and care about…Leonardo, Jerusalem, everyone knows that stuff but other than proslaves vs antislaves school taught me jack about american civil war.

• Joshua IX says:

It reminds me a bit of the Total War series trying to lure in Americans by packing in the revolution.

If your game doesn’t sell brilliantly in the states, set it there and hang the other possibilities.

• Koozer says:

Wasn’t the revolution before that bit? I’m guessing here, but I thought American history went like this:

1) Europe goes over and settles, countries argue over who has the…biggest fields? I don’t know.
      2) Those uppity colonials revolted against their parent country’s taxes and…kings and…things.
      3) It was too much effort for us to keep an iron hold on them so we let them have their independence.
      4) Drunk with newfound freedom, Americans start hitting each other with different coloured sticks.
      5) ???
      6) Modern day!

I’m sure an American will be along soon to clear things up.

• Jamesworkshop says:

B. causes of the wars–the American Revolutionary War was fought for independence from Britain and unity of the colonies, while the American Civil War was fought for the preservation of the union and over states vs. national powers of government and the issue of slavery.

C. location–the American Revolutionary War was fought within the thirteen original colonies, however, the American Civil War was fought in the South ( primarily in the middle to southeastern United States), only a few battles were fought in the North (the northeastern U.S.).

D. parties involved–the American Revolutionary War involved primarily two groups of people, the British and their loyal colonists (i.e. Loyalists), against the American revolutionists (i.e. Patriots) with the aid of some mercenaries, and to some degree, the French. The American Civil War involved primarily two groups of people, the North (northern citizens, some freed slaves and some escaped slaves) and the South (southern citizens and some slaves).

You are think of the wrong war in the wrong century

• AgamemnonV2 says:

Good to know education is a problem all across the world.

• Llewyn says:

Good to know you think knowledge of American history is a sound benchmark for measuring education standards all across the world.

• InternetBatman says:

@Llewyn It isn’t? Love it or hate it the United States is the fourth largest, third most populous, and one of the most influential countries in the world. An education system is failing their students if they don’t at least know the basics of American History. The same is true for several other countries.

As an American student I was required to learn the basics of British, French, Russian, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian History. Not knowing the causes of the American Revolution is like not knowing the War of the Roses, the Hundred Years War, The Protestant Reformation, the Russian Revolution, or the Boxer Rebellion.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

@Llewyn: You’re asking me if other countries should have an elementary grasp on one of the world’s most influential countries in the world and in history?

Sorry, I guess I was just trying to compare to the fact that in basic world history education in the US, we learn about major events in numerous countries’ histories. Like Ireland’s potato famine, or the Bolshevik revolution. And you’re getting snippety at me because some tit can’t tell the difference between the 1770s and the 1860s?

To compare, it’d be like stumbling across a topic dealing with the Battle of Hastings and then somehow confusing it for the Battle of Britain.

• Alevice says:

To be fair, the history of the US of A is relatively shorter than that of many other older countries. I expect Italian history for example to cover a great deal of centuries in contrast to 3-4 tops.

In a more concrete example, for us mexicans, we are taught about every single prehispanic culture that lived in mexican territory. And we move onwards spaniard colonization, all the notable viceroy regimes, the independence war, the texas revolution, the mexican american war, the frnech intervention, the revolution war, etc etc etc.

I could be full of shit, myabe american history covers native american history too, but that’s beyond my understanding.

• The Innocent says:

@Alevice

My education did, at least.

14. Icarus says:

Interesting choice, but like many people I’d have hugely preferred revolutionary Paris (Les Mis references aplenty, I’m sure) or Victorian London (Springheel Jack, Jack the Ripper, Baker Street et al).

And yes, what buildings are there going to be to free-run on in 1770s America?

Edit: Rampant speculation time.

1- The character is obviously a native, but the jacket he’s wearing isn’t. It’s also covered in blood, but the rest of him (and his tomahawk) looks clean. I’m assuming that he takes up the mantle of Assassin from the jacket’s former owner, perhaps as a dying request.

1a- The jacket actually looks more Civil War era (1860s) than Revolutionary (1770s). Can someone more familiar with American military history comment on this?

2- Rennaisance Italy to American native is a bit of a jump for the Auditore bloodline. I’ll be interested in seeing how they work this new character’s story into Desmond’s family tree, since as far as I understand it Ezio is a direct descendant of Altair as only that bloodline can use Eagle Vision?

3- Longbow takedowns hell yes it’s about time.

4- The shamanistic culture of many native American tribes is going to have some interesting ideas about Eagle Vision and how it works/where it comes from.

5- The RPG geek in me is thinking that Wendigo Ahroun says hello.

…And I’ve just noticed that the head of the tomahawk is the Assassin symbol. Bloody hell.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

@Icarus

1 – The Animus only works through the genetic memories of your ancestors, remember?

1a – The flag is the dead giveaway here–it’s a symbol of the Revolutionary War.

2 – If I had to guess, I’d probably say there was a mixed marriage involved or something to that effect. Natives were not welcome in colonial settlements circa 1770s. They stuck out like sore thumbs and were subject to brutal racism. It makes more sense for the protagonist to be half-half. Almost just as much racism from both sides, but still could walk down the street without getting beat to death by a lynch mob.

• Walsh says:

Les Mis didn’t take place during the French revolution. It takes place during the June rebellions in 19th century, revolution was end of 18th.

• JackShandy says:

As if that would stop assassins creed.

• Icarus says:

@Walsh: Well, I guess I get to go and hang my head in shame now. Bollocks. (My bad.)

@Agamemnon:

1- Yeah, I’m aware of this, hence my second point, but Desmond’s bloodline aren’t the only people to have ever worn a white hood. This ancestor is perhaps a different part of his family tree who only realises his assassin birthright after the first part of the game is done with, like Ezio did.

1a- Right, got’cha. I realised after posting that the pistol is flintlock instead of a revolver, as well.

2- Or something less savoury than marriage, yes. It’s entirely possible either way, but you’re right in that a racial mix would be more appropriate (given that the La’Ahad-Auditore-Miles bloodline has migrated from Syria to Florence to now America).

• InternetBatman says:

3. It’s nit-picking, but Longbows were European. I’m pretty sure Native Americans just had bows.

4. They’ll probably put it in anyways, but shamans and totems and all that stuff that people attribute to Native Americans comes from the West Coast. The East Coast tribes were so destroyed by disease, intermarrying, cultural diffusion, war, and climate change that most of their societies had collapsed by the time of the Revolution.

15. diogopt says:

great news,

we don’t have enough games set in AMERICAZ FUCK YEAH, specially in New York, I’ve never played a game set in New York…

• MSJ says:

They’ve set the last 10 CoD games in 18th-century New York before, so why not?

16. Risingson says:

Assassin’s Creed 3: Heaven’s Gate.

17. Althilor says:

Hmm, this can go only two ways, with the Founding Fathers being Templars, which would be a refreshing take on something (as opposed to the “America is good and pure, yeah!” stuff we usually get) but that would likely make some Americans who don’t understand the full implications or facts of their history froth at the mouth needlessly and to ridiculous amounts of negative press (FOX News, i’m looking at you). Or it’ll go down the tiring old hollywood cliche of casting the British as evil (cos everyone knows in a Hollywood movie if you need an evil dude(tte), you write them simply as “British Guy/Gal” and give them a stereotyped English accent) which to me as a Brit who has lived in America for long periods would be really really boring.

I like Assassins Creed games (a bit) but if the second is the case it’ll be enough to make me not play them anymore, simply because it’ll be using the same boring old ground, plus it’ll be hard not to see it as a massive piece of fan service to America in general and its gamers, and I hate fan service, especially when it is that transparent.

• Walsh says:

Yes because the the revolutionary war has been the focus of so many games, Americans will just eat it up this time!

• Althilor says:

Nah, my point was its been done to death in movies etc, and really as a setting I can’t see it appealing to a huge amount of people beyond Americans themselves and rabid fanboys of AC games. Renaissance Italy and the Crusades have more of a global appeal than that would.

I think it’d be more interesting though if this was early settlement of America, and instead of using buildings you used a native assassin who stalked through the treetops etc…but yeah, won’t happen, again.

• Walsh says:

So your point is Europeans only care about their history in video games? I’m sure sales will say otherwise.

• JasonRabbit75 says:

“my point was its been done to death in movies”

The Wikipedia list of war movies only lists 13 Revolutionary War films, 5 of which were made-for-TV.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

The ignorance in the non-Americans here at RPS knows no bounds, it seems.

Please, perhaps you would like to inform us of the “full implications” to our history? I’m sure an outsider knows so much. Maybe I can tell you about England’s “real” history some time as well, if you’d like.

But yeah, Brits were never bad in history, ever. *sweeps British Empire under carpet*

I always loved the exchange between Felix and Bond in Quantum of Solace (which sums this all up quite nicely)

James Bond: You know I was just wondering what South America would look like if nobody gave a damn about coke or communism. It always impressed me the way you boys would carve this place up.
      Felix Leiter: I’ll take that as a compliment coming from a Brit.

Secondly, let’s all wonder why a Canadian developer would ever want to set the climax to their series in North America (because you’re all so fond of wondering why American developers are so keen on setting so many of their games in America instead of Poland or Czech). What’s that? The series sells the best in what country? Oh, right. Taiwan!

• yurusei says:

AssCreed sells the best in Taiwan?! Requesting source, now!

• Gaytard Fondue says:

Nice generalisation Agamemnon. So me being a Non-American on RPS makes me an ignorant fool? I’m genuinely sorry that I’m not part of your American master race.

• InternetBatman says:

If it’s anything like previous games, neither actors will be good or pure and the Templars will be on both sides.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

@Gaytard Fondue: Yes, because that’s exactly what I said, bravo. You probably shouldn’t talk about generalizations to be honest.

• Althilor says:

@Walsh Or my point was that in AC1 you play a Muslim routinely murdering Christian Europeans and no one in Europe cared that much. If AC3 had a Brit routinely murdering Americans, I don’t think sections of the American media would be as lenient, especially when you remember how they’ve reacted in the past to games as innocuous as “Fate of the World”.

@Agamemnon The full implications that no side in any war lies blameless? that the founding fathers weren’t saints? that the reasons that war started weren’t pure and moral like is taught? That in reality it was an example of capitalist opportunism that has come to define the US? You know, how after the fact history is often painted over by the victors, but not so far that people can’t look deeper to find the real reasons (but most don’t as they just believe the accounts taught in high schools etc)?

As far as the British Empire goes, I think you’d be surprised about modern Britains relationship with Imperial Britain. There has been a systematic destruction of that whole vision of society, that sense of pride we once had in the Empire etc in the past 30 years. Britain has very little sense of being patriotic as a collective (as individual states like Scotland, Wales etc, it does), and in many ways thats probably why so many Brits scoff at the American “USA!! USA!! USA!!” fist pumping stuff we get to see all the time.

• YourMessageHere says:

(reply fail)

• syoung says:

Gotta love Brits giving Americans shit for imperialism and capitalism. Pot calling the kettle black?

Also gotta love “it’s so unfair, they made a game in America so Americans will like it.Why didn’t they do the correct thing and set it in the correct continent (i.e. mine) so I would like it?”

18. Jimbo says:

My gut reaction is that it doesn’t really work as a setting, but on the other hand maybe that’s exactly what will give them the opportunity to freshen things up a bit. It might force them to innovate.

Personally, I was hoping for the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs.

19. DogKiller says:

I expect this is probably part marketing move, really. I mean no disrespect to our American friends across the pond, but I’ve found a fair number of the younger American gamers I’ve seen literally have no interest in anything that’s not American. America’s cultural dominance of the English speaking world is so vast it crushes everything in its path. Just look at how they insist on remaking foreign television and films to Americanise them. One of the things I felt helped Assassin’s Creed in seeming different was its use of interesting historical periods that don’t crop up too often in games, and without that, it will just seem like another American-centric game.

Not that I’ll buy another Assassin’s Creed game with Ubisoft’s DRM.

• Althilor says:

Said in a much more eloquent way than I could have, but this was essentially what I was driving towards. Thank you.

• Walsh says:

Stereotypes be stereotyping…

• DogKiller says:

What part is the stereotype?

• Walsh says:

You, the stereotypical European, which as part of the stereotypical European behavior, stereotypes Americans as only caring about America in media.

• DogKiller says:

If I’ve some how given you the impression that I think all Americans are like that, then I’m sorry, as that was not my intention. However, can you not understand in any way or fashion why people might have that impression of your country and media?

• Jamesworkshop says:

Localisation is pretty wide spread, imagine a british characters saying they went to high school or speaking cantonese, it would sound funny, actually very few games are set in america, or anywhere in the world for that matter, that doesn’t stop most characters having north american accents or being from america however, which is very common even the alien species in mass effect sounds like particular regional areas of america

CoD goes around the world
      uncharted crosses the globe
      mass effect goes to space
      doom goes to hell
      MMO/RPG avoid most earth related landmasses

• aspabd says:

I have been seeing this kind reply a lot to this announcement and I just don’t agree with it. Are there really that many games set in the Revolutionary War? Honestly? There is a big difference between that time period and the setting we see in games nowadays. I just can’t see a lot of young Americans saying “Fuck yea, Revolutionary war! I love that time period!”

I’d say if they were trying to cater to the alleged “America is the best” idea then they would have set in WWII era or modern day New York and they probably wouldn’t have chosen a Native American as the protagonist.

• Walsh says:

That is bullshit. It’s well known the sure fire way to win awards in our media is to create a period piece that takes place in the UK or rest of Europe, “costumes and accents”. Even Call of Duty had British SAS as the main characters for the majority of the series.

Very few games take place in historical US, especially historical US older than WW2.

• Shooop says:

That’s called localization, and it’s not just an American thing.

• Sian says:

“Localisation is pretty wide spread, imagine a british characters saying they went to high school or speaking cantonese, it would sound funny, ”

We’re not talking about re-dubbing here, we’re talking about full-on remakes with new actors, new settings and oftentimes alterations to the plot.

• DogKiller says:

It’s not about winning awards, Walsh. It’s about as selling as many games as possible to make the biggest profit. You do that by appealing to the biggest English speaking market in the world, which is America.

In regards to localisation, as Sian said, it’s full on remakes. As far as I know, they don’t do that here or in many other places. You get subtitles and that’s it.

• Jamesworkshop says:

im not talking about redubbing either in particular more that say a british audience really has no clue what age range middle school or highschool actually refers to, I can think of a few americans that would think that britian had individual states if you told them you went to a state school (State-provided schooling) which they would know as a public school (which for us in Britian public school is a school that you pay a fee to)

Walsh
      * COD 4 was a sendup of American gung-ho culture charging full steam ahead into a nuclear bomb, while the British and loyalist Russian did all the hard work of chasing after Victor Zakhaev.

* MW2 had a US covert opperative commanded by his US superiors to follow a Terrorist leader in shooting Foreign civilians dead so as to not break his cover only for the entire thing to turn out to be a perfectly executed false flag operation which ironically is actually true (so not a true false flag) as the US did send a US citizen to kill Russians in an airport.
      This is hardly a developer proclaiming americans wonderfullness

Not even that most of COD and MoH took place in WW2 where pearl habour is mostly ignored for action in Europe, even the american tank forces in africa mostly get ignored in place for europe.
      WW2 really has next to nothing to do with american soil as it was a war a very long way away from them.

I don’t remember things like Resident evil going to spain then africa geting a lot of american consumers angry that US soil was being abbandoned or hating the France and Germany levels in Modern Warfare 3, and these are not excatly unpopular franchise in the USA.

I do wonder how people have missed or mistaken americanism which for the most part is actually Anglocenticism (Call of duty is incredibly anglocentric), Americas cultural landscape and political outlook is mostly influenced by european americans, especially English or Irish americans.
      Hell the royal wedding got more American interest than what occured over here in the UK

• aspabd says:

Again, if they were trying to appeal to the widest audience possible they would NOT have chosen the Revolutionary War. It is not embedded into peoples minds like WWII is or the current “modern war” theme. I would even say it is a relatively obscure time frame in comparison to typical American media.

What I’m getting at is this time period is not the instant cash in you are making it out to be. If it were you would be seeing a lot more games taking place during it.

• InternetBatman says:

The same is true in reverse. Look how many people don’t want to play the game strictly because it’s American. Well, that and the fact that it’s Ubisoft.

• Brun says:

Said this in another comment but:

The Revolutionary War period is a relatively unexplored setting in video games, especially in action games. The time period is just as important to an AC game as the geographical setting. There are plenty of reasons that the Revolutionary War is an appropriate backdrop for an AC game, chief among them being that guerilla tactics played an important role in the war’s outcome and AC combat necessarily falls beneath that label. There are also plenty of opportunities with the conspiracy theories behind the founding of the United States to tie into their whole Templar/Assassin story.

In truth I kind of admire Ubisoft for making such a bold selection for a video game’s setting.

• Nogo says:

Ignoring the fact that AC absolutely doesn’t need to pander to specific audiences for marketability at this point (they would have done that with #1 ya?), I can guarantee you that Americans find the revolutionary war about as boring as anyone else in the world. I’m just glad they’re finally changing the architecture up.

20. Guiscard says:

An American setting could work, depending on the approach. If they go for the old-fashioned bigoted “America, fuck yeah” approach, as has been done so many other times with the War of Independence, then what we get will be stale. Sure, the Americans will love it and it’ll get rave reviews, but the rest of the world will be left feeling a little left out. But if they take the time to cut through it properly, to craft a story that cuts through the myth of the American Revolution, or even go as far as to develop something akin to a Revolutionary era Last of the Mohicans, it could end up being quite good.

And its interesting to remember that the puzzles in Assassin’s Creed 2 put Washington as one of those Piece of Eden using Templars…

21. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I don’t know a whole lot about that time period, but wouldn’t it consist of under-developed cities?

Unless their goal is to provide an open-world similar to Red Dead Redemption, or all those assassinations and ambushes are spread across mountains. Maybe they’ve revised something in the play mechanics to take this into account, I don’t know. Lucky Luke: The Stabening?

22. ShadowBlade says:

Looking forward to this greatly. The AC series is one of my favourites. Was hoping it might be Aztec, but i’d settle for this too :D

23. codename_bloodfist says:

Out of all the places they could pick for an interesting historical setting, they went with the one country whose oldest monuments are younger than the bakery across the street? Apparently having an American protagonist wasn’t American enough.

24. yurusei says:

I hope our first mission is to instigate a rabble to dump tea into the Boston harbour.

Start the Party! Celebrate good times, come on.

25. Muhu says:

Did we REALLY need another game set in America?

• brulleks says:

Ditto. There were so many interesting, original ideas being bandied around that this is a massive disappointment, if it’s true. In fact, I don’t even recall America being included in the original vote for a location that was conducted.

If it was, then I’d be very surprised if it really topped the poll. Most comments I saw seemed to favour Egypt (although I loved the idea of Ancient Greece, personally).

• Brun says:

The thing to keep in mind is that the temporal (as well as geographic) setting is important in AC games. The Revolutionary War period is relatively unexplored in video games.

• Nogo says:

So Crysis, Homefront and that one PS3 game were just way too much America for you?

26. Shooop says:

If that’s the protagonists’ outfit for the game, then he might as well just wrap himself in a colonial flag. It’d be just as easy to spot him in a crowd.

But it’d be worth trying out for a few hours if Peter Francisco makes an appearance.

27. Berzee says:

So basically, “National Treasure”!

28. Brun says:

It will be interesting to see how they handle this setting, if indeed that’s what it is. Might tempt me to buy it despite the Ubisoft branding.

That said, feudal Japan would have been a better choice of setting. I’m still surprised that they haven’t gone the Ninja vs. Samurai route given that the mechanics and storyline of the game suit it so well.

29. Zorganist says:

So official box art has been revealed: http://yfrog.com/z/oc2tcqoj

So mystery Assasin-man is just about to brutally murder a British infantryman, so the game will probably be a pandering, America- Fuck Yeah! affair, which is a bit depressing; I wouldn’t have minded the setting so much if it took a more unique/ thoughtful approach to the issue, but as it is it appears to be taking a fairly one-sided, overly-partiotic Brits are evil, Americans are good stance. Never mind that the cities aren’t going to be anywhere near as interesting as the ones from previous Assasin’s Creed games- lack of cathedrals makes me sadface.

30. syoung says:

American Revolution is soooo overdone in videogames. We really need a game set in feudal Japan that focuses on ninjas. You know, something completely original and never seen before ever(y couple of months)

• The Innocent says:

How is the American Revolution overdone in videogames? Are you thinking of the American Civil War?

Unless you’re being sarcastic, then bravo. =)

31. RakeShark says:

To cap off this discussion, no “*Something* is coming to America” cannot be complete without this:

32. yurusei says:

If there’s anyone still reading this thread, packshots are apparently out on the ubisoft Facebook page.

33. Ninja Dodo says:

Hm… confirmed, then.

It could work if they improve the natural landscapes (which was never the strength of AC) and let you go parkour in the forests and mountains. Can’t see there being much in the way of interesting architecture.

34. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Hey guys, Kotaku posted another piece of concept art of the game, presumably from Game Informer:

Only a few hours after we gave you the first look at what’s likely to be Assassin’s Creed III’s new hero, website Game Informer appears to have accidentally displayed an image all but confirming its legitimacy.

35. BatmanBaggins says:

This has the potential to be incredibly cool. I was actually hoping they would use this time period but didn’t think they really would.

Kind of disappointing to see a fair portion of the comments here turn into knee-jerk back-and-forth squabbles about America in general, though.

36. Imperii says:

I think a lot of people are mistaking the disappointment of people, who I assume are British, at the setting of the game in the American revolution for anti-Americanism. I think it’s more the case that people who are British fans of the series are disappointed at the likelihood that if they play the game they’re mostly likely (if popular presentation of the British, pre-1945, in north American media is anything to go by) going to have to have their nation represented as mostly evil, corrupt tyrants, whilst anyone disliking the British (be they native Americans, revolutionary British-Americans or interested Europeans, such as the French) will be portrayed as virtuous.

This has obviously, as is so often the case, descended into a Brits v Yanks slanging match with little reference to the actual central point, but then again this is the internet, so we can’t really be too surprised!

Anyway, on the setting of the game, I’m fairly disappointed that they haven’t taken the opportunity to set it in 18th century Paris, or 19th century London. More exotically, 19th century Singapore could have been fun, or maybe early 20th century Shanghai. Or Beijing at any point in the last few hundred years! I suppose maybe they’ll take the opportunity to spring-board from American Rev to French Rev and then to 19th century London, you could certainly spin a connection from American Revolution to the French, and once in Paris it’s only a short hop over the English Channel to get to London!

37. Shooop says:

This comment section needs to be nuked from orbit. It’s a video game people, not a re-imagining of the movie Team America as being 100% serious.

Every other post being about a conflict centuries ago is downright embarrassing. For fuck’s sake stop it.

• cappstv says:

thank god someone else feels this way too.
      both sides of this argument make me want to slowly strangle myself with some shoelaces.

38. E_FD says:

For all the calls for the French Revolution or Victorian London, I was hoping for something Kipling-esque in British-occupied India. Oh well.

Then again, I’m probably not in the target audience anyway, considering the only AssCreed game I played was Brotherhood and I thought the plot was rather stupid.

39. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Here’s a conspiracy theory for you: this is all a ploy to stop us talking about the DRM.

40. Jason Moyer says:

Being an American with a background of tolerance for other cultures, it’s heartwarming to read a pile of drivel shitting on us again. Be more predictable euros.

• TCM says:

Well that took all of one sentence for you to be stupid.

As an actual tolerant American, I can just shrug off jokes.

• Jason Moyer says:

I can shrug off jokes; what I can’t shrug off is the inevitability that any mention of America in an online discussion will turn the remainder of discussion into a pile of Euro bigots circle jerking each other into oblivion.

• TCM says:

And we all know the best way to counter bigotry is to make scathing generalizations about entire groups which only legitimizes their most negative thoughts about you.

Wait, no, that’s not correct at all, you’re still a moron.

41. lijenstina says:

In 100 years the AC 105 plot will depict the ancient world of 2012 – The Soviet Union of America is crumbing because the elected King has abdicated the throne to participate on the American Idol Mister Universe competition held in Paris.

42. DrSlek says:

I’d have much preferred the Napoleonic wars

• TCM says:

I would honestly expect expac content to cover Nappy’s Super Europe Funtimes.

Ezio traveled a lot, after all.

43. EOT says:

Oh this entire thread is a glorious fucking train wreck….it’s actually almost as bad as the one on /v/ at the moment. At least that one is just teenagers trolling one another.

44. TCM says:

Anyhow, on colonial America.

1) Colonial America, at the time of the revolution, was hardly a backwater with no significant cities or architecture. If you’re picturing log cabins and wooden palisades, you’re picturing incorrectly. There will surely be a lot of freerunning to be had around Boston, or Philly, or New York.

2) Believing this is somehow a ‘marketing move’ or some such bullcrap is highly ignorant. The American Revolution is every bit as significant historically and culturally as the French Revolution and Napoleon’s Wars, if not moreso — this is the war that brought into existence a country that owns most of the best land of the continent it’s situated on. Beyond that, the United States remains one of the world’s premiere military and cultural forces, and if you honestly believe that this isn’t setup for the Templars grabbing the reigns of the nascent power, you’re out of your mind.

3) Hey remember how you could see that there were good and bad people on both sides of the crusades? Given that, why would anyone make the assumption that this game will wholly lionize or demonize either side of the war?