April Showers Bring Grey Towers: Legend Of Grimrock

By Adam Smith on March 2nd, 2012 at 3:58 pm.

My other car is one of those

It could be that grid-based dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock actually takes place entirely in dungeons, what with being at least somewhat related to Dungeon Master, but maybe there will be a tower. Maybe. Whatever the case, the game which has caused me to nostalgically divide my house’s floorspace into equally sized squares finally has a release date. Early April. That’s not actually a date, is it? Not specifically. But it’s better than the previous timeframe, which was simply ‘the future’. No new features now, just bug fixing, completing animations and adding a bit of polish. Then it will be mine and possibly yours as well. A peek at a UI redesign lurks below.

The first time I met Alec he was riding a Grimlock steed

What the trousers! How did that get there. That’s not an RPG user interface. I have no idea what it is, quite frankly, or what it’s got to do with this story. I suspect another member of RPS crept into the post when I wasn’t looking and left it here by mistake. Back to business.

For the longest time, important details were spread around the corners of the screen, like so!

OPPOSITE CORNERS ARE IN USE!

But then the people who were watching development set up a mighty hue and cry, and the developers didst hear it, so they put everything in one place.

THE CORNERS HAVE BEEN COMBINED

Sensible, just as party-based forays into horrible places should be.

, , , .

1. Chmilz says:

I will buy this, with a hardon in one hand and my mouse in the other!

• The Tupper says:

My monocle just popped out and Mrs The Tupper had an attack of the vapours.

The worrying thing is, Chmilz is waiting for the retail copy.

• qbert911 says:

I, er, concur?

• Antsy says:

Matron!

• westyfield says:

I do enjoy partciule phisycs.

• Torn says:

I too am ridiculously excited for this game. Not sexually though, you might want to go get that checked out

• Neurotic says:

I’m with the hardon crowd for this. The amount of time I spent on DM on my Amiga is ridiculous, as well as the hard-to-get DM2. Shit man, when I heard about Grimrock last year, I got wood that’s still here today.

• Kefren says:

I completed Dungeon Master (RTC) last weekend, immediately followed by Dungeon Master 2, which I had never played. Worked all the way through it, almost giving up at one point but then deciding to battle on to the cloudy conclusion. Lovely music. I also tried Chaos Strikes Back but it was too hard to be fun, too much of a puzzle to get involved with as a believable adventure.

• nootron says:

I will have both hands on my hardon and will issue commands as my Robot Butler plays the game while I watch. Now go get me a diet coke. Why are you still typing? You’re not typing what im saying right now are you?

HELP ROBOT HELP ME MASTER IS CRUEL TO ROBOT

• openyoureyes says:

>.<

• Shazbut says:

@nootron

:D

• moaspfh says:

Given the visual similarities, I’m surprised Stonekeep has not been mentioned in the comments yet.
      They can’t have come up with a worse GUI that SK’s though, yet let’s hope the game will be as memorable as its ancestor was.

• Hammurabi says:

What does this have to do with the LHC? oh, you didn’t say Hadron…boy is my face red.

@openyoureyes, I have the alpha of ToM and I really like where it is going. It has a great deal of potential. This looks fun too, and I will probably buy it when they want money. Its ok to like both, ya know.

2. subactuality says:

I’m really looking forward to this game. I reserve a special place in my heart for turn-based first-person dungeon crawlers, and the fact it looks so damn pretty is just icing on the cake.

• UncleLou says:

I hope it is not too much of a disappointment, but I think I’ve read that LoR is not turn-based, but played out in real-time.

• ScubaMonster says:

Sounds like that would play out similar to the later Might & Magic games for combat then. I’ve really only played Xeen, but the combat was pretty much real time and it worked. I would prefer totally turn based combat myself, but I’ll make do.

• Demiath says:

Nope, Grimrock’s combat will not be like Xeen’s. Only Might & Magic 6, 7, 8 and 9 had true realtime elements; MM3-5 were completely turn-based (even though I fully understand why their almost rogue-like approach didn’t feel turn-based like a Wizardry or Final Fantasy game would).

• Wizardry says:

The most famous examples of what this game will play like are: Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder.

• DK says:

The real problem is that in their hurry to bring back a classic they’re copying the mistakes it made. The biggest issue with Dungeon Master is the fact that you have to click for every. single. attack. The combat interface is like it’s been designed by a Starcraft 2 player.

If they simply let you automate attacks, or, if they wanna preserve the clicking, let you designate “main” attacks and give you a single “all characters attack with main attack” button, they’d have actually made a BETTER Dungeon Master.

But because they’re so focused on nostalgia, they won’t do that and simply make a copy instead of an upgrade.

• Casimir's Blake says:

I have to say I don’t mind and am even pleased that it isn’t turn-based. Clicking for each combat action does look a touch cumbersome, but hey that’s how Lands of Lore worked. Fiddly, but gave a palpable sense of urgency during some of the trickier encounters. Haven’t ever once felt like that in an Elder Scrolls game, have to say…

3. Kdansky says:

Now instead of looking at all four corners, I can just focus all of my attention on only one corner. It’s less bad, sure.

What about those other two million pixels? Why are those not actually of any use? I should be able to leftclick (or something) a monster to attack it, and rightclick for magic. You know, INTERACTIVE. Not icons in a corner. The game uses 1/12th of the screen, the rest is just a pretty screensaver.

It does look kinda neat, but I’m still very sceptical, because they don’t seem to have thought this through.

4. Vexing Vision says:

The first 30+ hours game I EVER completed was Bloodwych (which I vastly preferred to Dungeon Master due to the multiplayer).

Yes, Grimrock will be mine. Even without the multiplayer.

Also, you could talk to monsters in Bloodwych.

• AlwaysRight says:

Holy crap on a cracker, Bloodwych… That takes me back.
      I wonder what my old mates Blodwyn, Mr Flay, Murloch and Baldrick are up to now?…

• Gothnak says:

Bloodwych!

My sister and I got to the Moon Tower on the C64 and the game wouldn’t load any further. I sent the developers a letter saying it wouldn’t work and they sent me the amiga version back (I mentioned i’d just got one) and another game to review as we were the first people to get that far in the retail game.

So we then played the Amiga version and finished it… AWESOME game.. i’ll likely get this too.

• Vexing Vision says:

And they never solved the puzzle why Mr Flay would venture into the dungeons with bread and water….

And co-op was SO GOOD….

• AlwaysRight says:

… Or the other great puzzle;

Why did Baldrick have balls on his head?

• Chris D says:

I had Bloodwych on the ST but there was a bug that meant it wouldn’t save properly. I played the first section many times over until I grew more desperate to see what happened next. I tried saving to the game disk itself.

It worked! I was so excited to see what would happen next, what new sights lay ahead of me. I saved one more time and went to bed dreaming of new adventures.

The game never loaded again after that. My biggest gaming disappointment next to accidentally formatting the disk for Carrier Command.

• The Tupper says:

I’ve just realised why the comment on RPS is so intelligent, informed, polite and well-punctuated: we’re all fucking ancient!

• Casimir's Blake says:

Fucking ancient, but with good taste?

Bloodwych was excellent, so were the first two Lands of Lore games, the first two Eye of the Beholder’s, most of the Might & Magic games (even IX darnit!), Wizardy, or more recently Mazes of Fate, Orcs & Elves / Wolfenstein RPG, Deep Labyrinth… though personally I much prefer the single-hero-antics of Ultima Underworld, King’s Field, or Wordsworth. (try looking that one up…)

Though there are many first-person dungeon crawler RPGs out there, there certainly should be far, far more being created. Anyone up for it? I’d love to do level design, textures and music for such a game…

• Antsy says:

Haha, is RPS where old gamers come to die?

I can’t wait for this, and yes its purely based on fond memories of Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Bloodwych…Amiga’s and graph paper stolen from maths and technical drawing classes.

Anyone complaining about the gameplay is completely missing the point. Might as well complain about a rogue-like not playing like an action rpg.

Now, back to EotB on Dosbox!

• The Tupper says:

For some inexplicable reason Bloodwych passed me by, but Dungeon Master on the Amiga was formative.

5. ran93r says:

That looks curiously like a Grimlock thumbs up to me.
    Huzzah!

I have mentioned to anyone who will listen since the last time you covered this: “Shut up and take my money”.

6. JackDandy says:

Looking freaking phenomenal. Can’t wait to give them my money.
    I’ve followed this for some time, I really enjoyed reading the developers’ updates every Friday- they made sure to answer questions friendly and professionally, while keeping interesting updates. I’ll kinda miss checking out the blog every week!

7. Soon says:

Surely a single row is more efficient than a 2×2 layout if you need to click on them to attack.

Hm, also, I’d definitely try them bottom-centre too, to create some kind of synergy between the icons and perception of the position of the party members. And thennn, I’d have the inventory open relative to the character portrait position. Top left corner for the left-most character, top-right for right most, the others in between. You’d instantly know whose inventory is open that way, so it’s all nice and intuitive. Unless it’s often essential to see everything when you access the inventory, then I’d ignore me.

8. PostieDoc says:

Grimlock, the coolest Transformer ever.
    Also the toys were much better quality back then compared to the cheap nastiness of present day transformers.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

I disagree. Soundwave was the best, because you could open his chest and insert a cassette that turned into a panther-robot into him. And he had guns kept in a sort of back compartment.

And he was a walkman the size of a Porsche.

I was upset when his head came off.

9. 2late2die says:

This game is looking so good it’s not even funny!

10. Teronfel says:

Yeeeeees!!! Great news. Can’t wait to play this one:D

11. deadly.by.design says:

Games like these always give me funny mental image:

Four people walking down a tight corridor, swinging weapons and casting spells, shoulder-to-shoulder. Or possibly twisted up. Either way, funny.

12. Valanthyr says:

• Casimir's Blake says:

Stonekeep recently received a Wii remake! Sadly it’s not great, mostly let down by motion controls, and of course it not being on PC!

13. dogsolitude_uk says:

Thanks, this article has inspired me to install DOSBox and get Dungeon Master working on it. There goes the weekend…

14. Loix says:

Where can I get that header image as a full-HD wallpaper?

There’s just something about it… I’ve never wanted an image to be a wallpaper before, but that… it must.

15. openyoureyes says:

(O.O)

16. Casimir's Blake says:

Shock horror! A dungeon crawler. And RPS are covering it!

I am immensely excited about this game, it’s practically the only PC “release” forthcoming that’s worth bothering with in my opinion. Unless Stalker 2 actually happens. Oh okay, and maybe the next Metro game.

If it wasn’t so tremendously difficult to develop such games, I’d try myself. :( (Anyone need a level designer? Musician?)

On a more positive note, there is also the immensely promising-looking Tomes Of Mephistopheles which is properly first-person-with-mouselook-dungeon-crawling. So, yeah, the closest thing to Ultima Underworld 3 we’re likely to see in a while. Tasty.

17. longhaia says:

You’ll love it very much!
    A good place for shopping online store…..go now! ,.

18. Jezebeau says:

‘The future of dungeon crawling’ looks an awful lot like Wizardry. I’m looking forward to it!

19. Grey_Ghost says:

An Eye of the Beholder-ish game with modern graphics & sound, yes please!

20. webserv says:

This is such a Great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information.

web hosting india