The RPS Bargain Bucket: Don’t Even Question Why

By Lewie Procter on March 3rd, 2012 at 10:57 am.

I’m in a bit of a hurry this morning. The bargain bucket is the last bit of work I’m doing before I get on an aeroplane to San Francisco for GDC, and I’ve still got all my packing to do. As such, I’m not going to be operating the gears and levers behind the scenes of SavyGamer.co.uk this week, but my minions Will & Tony will be filling in when they can. Here’s you bucket:

MDK2 HD – £4.73/€5.67/$7.49
Comrade Smee was rather positive about this re-graphicatised update:

It looks like my memories. I went back and played some of the original MDK 2 during the weekend, and the difference was genuinely shocking, so easily had this HD remake slotted into my recollection of the game. What were previously giant blank walls and jagged everythings in the original are now detailed illustrations, the massive sci-fi environments completely in keeping with the pulp comic book presentation. The textures are painted on with bright and colourful high resolution detail and the lighting and shadows do their thing in subtle ways. The whole package delivers a familiar playground in a disarmingly non-showoffy way, so the graphics all look natural – really, how I’ve always imagined they’ve looked. Because it’s always looked this good. Right? There must be something corrupted with my old version if it ever looked that blotchy.

It’s only available via Beamdog, so don’t expect a sale anywhere else.

Wheelman – £1.74/€1.24/$2.49
This is pretty good fun, I say. It’s a bit sloppy from time to time, and the on foot bits are a a dull trudge, but you get to jump from one car into another in some cinematic car chases, which is worth the price of admission alone. They were originally planning to do this as a game/film, with the game coming first, and a film taking place after the game coming some time after. I guess that never happened.

PAYDAY: The Heist – £6.31/€7.57/$9.99
Registers on Steam.
If you’re in the USA, go ahead and grab this straight from Steam (where you can try it for free as part of a free weekend), but anyone else it’s worth popping over to Impulse/Gamestop to save a few pennies. Comrade Griliopoulos thought this about PAYDAY: The Heist:

There are only six levels currently, but they’re so varied and so tough that this is really plenty to be going on with. It combines solid FPS team combat with something akin to an adventure game; you’re always sprinting from one spot to another, frantically trying to reset alarms, hack computers, interrogate civilians or plant C4. It has that breathless relentlessness, like a Hollywood action sequence, conveyed through a classic FPS interface; you don’t even question why you can always see your partners’ outlines through the buildings, it’s become so normalised.

More here.

Red Faction: Armageddon – £3.99
Apply coupon “pcgamer20″.
I can never remember if this site is for UK customers only, or if this will be available worldwide. But since this registers on Steam, you could always try to rope in a UK friend to buy it on your behalf, then smuggle you the serial number. I’m told that works, anyway, you didn’t hear it from me. This is the game that killed Red Faction (for now at least). I suspect that I am right in thinking no one really wanted a third person shooter with destruction elements, everyone wanted Red Faction Gorilla 2. Here’s John’s opinion in word form. Any fans out there?

Deal of the week
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Far more convenient than tracking down a vampire and tricking them into biting you in the neck, and The Hunger only lasts whilst you’re playing the game. Here’s Jim musing on why VTMB is so special:

Bloodlines is something like an action soap-opera. I truly wish I could say that of more games. So few games have attempted to access this most natural of game approaches: analogy of the real world, with conversation and violence intermingled, rather than simply delivering uninterrupted carnage, or endless management. These ‘immersive sim’ games are tough to make, granted, but when you play something like Bloodlines they also feel like they’re the games we deserve.

It’s been fanpatched up to version 7.9. Amazing.

Also of note:
Sega have got a big bunch of games on sale on Impulse, but it’s a USA only sale. Cheers Sega, love you too!
Cyan promo at GOG.
Still some time left on that mega D&D bundle from GamersGate.
Saint’s Row: The Third is on sale via Steam, but still cheaper here with coupon “pcgamer20″.
50% off Focus games.

Find more cheap games for all platforms over at SavyGamer.

1. NathaI3 says:

Red Faction: Gorilla would be amazing.

• vatara says:

I’d go ape for that.

• RSeldon says:

If a game like that came out you’d simian a couple months, if not langur… I’d be too busy monkeying around with it.

Andy_Panthro says:

It always macaque’s me laugh how quickly pun threads appear on RPS these days.

Now we just have to chimpanzee how many posts this one will last!

• Suits says:

I think alot of people would go bananas over it.

Thermal Ions says:

You must admit that some are a bit soft and mushy once you peel back the skin however.

• Vitruality says:

These jokes are apealling. I want my silverback.

• The Tupper says:

There’s simianly no end to the low-quality humour langurishing in these pun threads.

• Antsy says:

I like Red Faction : Armagibbon. I wonder if they considered Apeocalypse.

To be quite honest this is the sort of primative humour i’ve come to expect around here.

• Red_Avatar says:

If this was Discworld, you’d all get slammed on the head. A cookie to anyone who knows why.

Andy_Panthro says:

@Red_Avatar:

Mixing up monkeys with apes is liable to macaque a certain orangutan very angry. Even gibbon him a banana might not be enough to calm him down.

• mpashsua says:

Is that a 20% off code? If not, how much? I’m not creating an account with those buggers just to find out. http://shopeee.com/s/i

2. marlin says:

Kudos for managing to drop the fact that you were going to SF… in the first sentence…;-)

• Lewie Procter says:

Well I wanted to give an explanation for why SavyGamer updates won’t be as frequent as they usually are, but I’m also quite excited.

3. marlin says:

Just jealous, Lewie, just jealous. Have a great time, but pack your thermals – remember what Mark Twain said.

• Soon says:

Naked people have little or no influence on society.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Actually, that quote has never been verified. Much like, “the only traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, sodomy and the lash,” is often falsely attributed to Churchill.

On a more serious note, I would recommend bringing a warm coat just in case. San Fran is typically fairly warm, but if West Coast weather has been anything like East Coast weather, it could be weird. For example, we had our first snowfall on Valentine’s Day weekend. Two days later it was 70F/21C. It’s been like that all winter. Gets miserably cold for a few days, then warms up like spring, back to winter, spring, winter, spring, winter, etc.

Anyways, have fun, Lewie! San Fran’s a cool place. Check out the Musée Mécanique in Fisherman’s Wharf. Pretty crazy stuff!

4. Dowson says:

The Mega D&D bundle link doesn’t seem to work.

5. President Weasel says:

Does the fanpatch work on the Steam game? I thought Steam games tended to patch through Steam and be funny about patches from elsewhere.

• qrter says:

It does work with the Steam version – I fanpatched my Steam game a couple of months ago, it played fine.

• Lemming says:

Yep, works beautifully.

• MuscleHorse says:

This seems to be a fallacy spread by the very vocal anti-Steam brigade. I’ve never known it to actually be the case.
      Grab it, it’s a great game.

• jon_hill987 says:

The only thing you can’t do is validate your files for the game in question, otherwise it will redownload the unpatched version. In most cases it will work fine, one I can think of that didn’t was the Oblivion Game of the Year Edition, but Valve fixed the Steam version of the game to work with it once this was pointed out.

• TheWhippetLord says:

With steam games, if you use any kind of mods or fan patch, it’s a good idea to disable the ‘automatically keep this game up to date’ thing in game properties, which should make you immune to modified stuff being overriden by updates, which I assume is the cause of the ‘steam hates mods’ stories.
      You might have to start Steam in admin to make it stick. I doubt it matters for a game as old as V:tM:B though.

• djbriandamage says:

Not only does the Vampires: Bloodlines fan patch work perfectly well on Steam, the lead developer himself posts on the Steam forums to let us all know when the next version is available.

• malkav11 says:

There’s basically only a couple of ways in which Steam games might have mod issues.
      1) If Steam autopatches a modded game, it might overwrite key files, which would break things. Solution: turn off autopatching on modded game.
      2) (I don’t know of any mods that actually do this, but) if the mod needs access to a file that Steam encrypts. I think this is usually just the executable, and mods don’t generally need that as far as I know.
      3) Because of the weird way Morrowind and Oblivion handle mod loading order, the Steam version requires a couple of files to be redated manually for older mods to work correctly (otherwise they try to access data that hasn’t been loaded yet.).

That’s about it as far as I know. It really basically never comes up for most games that are actively modded.

6. psychoconductor says:

I really, really loved RF Armageddon. I actually ended up playing it a bit more than Guerilla. Maybe it’s because I think sandboxes are a bit overrated and I sometimes want a completely linear game to guide the way. Either way, loved both Guerilla and Armageddon.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Armageddon is completely fine, but Guerilla is still superior.

• Dominic White says:

I never really got the love for Guerilla. Yes, there’s a big (red, dusty) sandbox to drive around and random NPCs to terrorize, but the actual core gameplay is pretty weak. You’re never really given enough ammo to go nuts, and enemies spawn endlessly to punish you for using the toys it gives you, anyway. That, and there’s basically two enemy types: Man With Gun and Vehicle.

Armageddon is linear, yes, but it also understands what Red Faction is about: Unrestrained violence using ridiculously excessive guns. There’s no reason to ever use pistols, shotguns or rifles, because plasma cannons, rocket launchers and grenades are handed out so constantly that you always have enough ammo to make stuff go Boom.

Plus, there’s about a dozen different enemy types with quite different attack patterns.

• InternetBatman says:

Guerilla had some flaws, but the open world destruction aspect of it was just really cool. Nothing is quite like the feeling of hijacking a dump truck and just running through whatever building you want to destroy. Also sledgehammering someone in the face.

The main flaws I noticed were the indestructible beams, not enough bridges to blow up, the way some things regenerated, too many / too focused enemies in later missions, and lots of unnecessary invisible walls. Generally the core gameplay was really good, and that was more important than the other problems.

• Dominic White says:

Armageddon is entirely built around the destructible environments, though – a lot of people claimed that they’d somehow removed that feature, but the opposite is the case. Yes, the hammer is useless. This is because you’ve got a quick-recharging power that punches an 8×8 foot hole 20 feet deep into any building. And your basic unlimited-ammo ‘tool’ weapon lets you throw houses at people.

• Urthman says:

Play it on EASY and all those problems go away and it’s lots of fun.

• Kid_A says:

And your basic unlimited-ammo ‘tool’ weapon lets you throw houses at people.
      And this is AWESOME.

• nrvsNRG says:

i loved armagedon too. it was great fun

• malkav11 says:

My main problem with Armageddon is I found the alien enemies to be boring and annoying to fight, and have WAY too many HP. In general, games where the enemies are giant sacks of HP annoy me, especially if you’re meant to have awesome power fantasy experiences like throwing houses at them.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

magnet. gun.

• Suits says:

Just Caused me 2 play a certain other game.

7. iLag says:

just a word of caution about Beamdog: their way of doing business is a bit strange. they were giving away some free game once and still wanted my credit card details. for a free game. yeah. I don’t think so.
    and they use a client, afaik.

8. Scarecroww says:

This pcworlddownloads, never heard of it before. Trustworthy? Works smoothly?

• westyfield says:

I bought Deus Ex 3 there, it just gave me a key to add to Steam. Everything worked without a problem. Saints Row 3 uses Steamworks, so it should activate fine.

• Scarecroww says:

Seems Sweden was ip-blocked anyway, bummer.

• InternetBatman says:

In the US at least the difference was only a $1.29 anyways.

• JimRyanor says:

They’re connected to a reputable chain of UK stores so should be fine.

Thermal Ions says:

Seems we can’t question why specials over at Greenmangaming or Getgames are ignored, but you can pick up:

Duke Nukem Forever for $4.99 (75% off) at GMG

Super Meat Boy for $4.76 (66% off) and Football Manager 2012 for $14.99 (50% off) at Getgames.

All three require Steam, so you should get a code to plug in rather than having to download using their respective client/download system.

10. codename_bloodfist says:

Oh Bloodlines, one of my favourite games of all times. Just been playing it over the past week and I must say that it has aged wonderfully. That being said, if you know someone who has the game, just borrow it from them. The studio, Troika, that developed the game is long shut with your money going directly to the prime reason for its demise–Activision.

11. Kingmarzo says:

Total War: Shogun 2 – Fall of the Samurai is 11.99 with pcgamer20 code at PCWorld.co.uk

Bargain!

12. YourMessageHere says:

Is there a mod scene for Saints Row 3? I’m a bit reluctant to get something as blatantly frivolous unless I know I could, if needed, tweak it to a precise alignment of frivolity that appeals to me more.

EDIT: Is that a 20% off code? If not, how much? I’m not creating an account with those buggers just to find out.

13. Urthman says:

I wish GOG would get Myst V. It’s the only one of those games I haven’t played.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I’ts pretty much the weakest one too. It ties up the story arc pretty neatly, so it’s worth playing for that, but the gameplay is quite different from the other games.

14. Veritaas says:

Not a single comment about VTMB?

It’s basically reskinned Deus Ex, only slightly more focused on conversation stuff. Fantastic game, definitely worth it.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

It’s much more rpg:y than dx, but I can sort of understand what you’re getting at.

• MD says:

To anyone considering this, seek a second opinion. “Basically reskinned Deus Ex” is a wildly, wildly inaccurate description of VTMB.

• Veritaas says:

Really? I found it to be very, very similar.

• JimRyanor says:

I’d say it’s certainly in the same ball park as Deus Ex, though one of them’s probably rounders and the other’s baseball.

• Edradour says:

Slightly unrelated: Is VtM: Redemption anything like Bloodlines? Everytime i visit gog i think about picking it up.

• JackShandy says:

Not at all. I think it’s a top down RPG thing.

• bill says:

I’ve always thought of Bloodlines as very Deus Ex. Infact it’s about the closest we’ve come to Deus Ex (until DE3 recently). It’s more RPGy, and you can play it more as a 3rd person melee combat game…. but if you play it as a stealth/shooter then it’s pretty close. (vents and pcs in offices and everything.)

I was always a little sad it didn’t let me customise/upgrade my weapons though,.

Redemption is nothing at all like Bloodlines. It’s also nowhere near as good.
      It sounded great before it released – it had a kind of Sleep Is Death / Dungeon Master type idea where you were supposed to be able to create your own stories for players… and it had a nice split between time periods (past with swords, current with (crappy) guns). )

But it ended up being more of a hack/slash than an rpg afaik.

• malkav11 says:

Redemption is basically a Diablo clone. It’s pretty clunky and not that great, but it does get a surprising amount of the lore correct (outside of how it’s butchered in the actual gameplay). Memorably, its CD autoplay would invariably hard crash my computer. (Back in Win2k days. Might not be an issue now even if you were to get the disc version, which seems unnecessary with the game on GoG and all.)

15. Carda39 says:

I followed that link to the Sega sale on Impulse, noticed a link mentioning the Doctor Who adventure titles, and decided to take a quick peek (as an American, I don’t get to grab the games for free like you lucky Britons).

Someone at GameStop failed to do their research; they claim the games feature the Tenth Doctor.

Really, GameStop? You can’t even fact-check properly? It’s no wonder everyone I know refuses to shop at your stores.

• Tams80 says:

I wouldn’t say they are worth paying for.

• The Tupper says:

Agreed. As freebie promotional items they serve their purpose, I suppose. And for very young or undemanding children they’re worth a download but not otherwise.

16. Gotem says:

for those who like adventure games and know spanish. you can get hollywood monsters for free here for a limtied time

17. wcanyon says:

Payday The Heist is $7.50 on Amazon:

Might be US only, I can’t find it in the UK store.

• lonewolf80 says:

Yeah, that deal is US only, but non-US residents an easily buy by entering any US address. No region lock.

18. longhaia says:

You’ll love it very much!
    A good place for shopping online store…..go now! …

19. Moraven says:

Atom Zombie Smasher now the Daily Deal on Steam.

Worth it even at full price. $2.49 now.

• Vinraith says:

Try the demo first. The aesthetics are cute, but as a strategy game it’s 100% fluff.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

It’s a quasi-tower defense/arcade game. No need to get angry over the game not being something it isn’t.

• Vinraith says:

Who’s angry? As you say it’s a quasi-tower defense/arcade game. It’s cute, it’s light, and there’s nothing wrong with that so long as you know what you’re getting.

• trjp says:

AZS is a lovely idea wrapped up in a shit game – it was actually unplayable before they put in all the cheats and hacks and mods whereby you can JUST get a decent game out of it…

• JimRyanor says:

Just going to say I disagree and I thought it was brilliant, played it when the demo first came out, bought it off that and never regretted it. However I can see how others might not like it or find it frustrating so I would recommend trying the demo first, it’ll tell you all you need to know either way.

• Chris D says:

Really? I haven’t used any cheats or mods but I completed it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I will grant that if the zombies get an early lead then you’re pretty unlikely to claw it back.

I think it’s also a smarter game than people are giving it credit for. It’s not the most complex game but having a decent plan is far more important than fast reflexes and I don’t have any problem considering it a proper strategy game.

• trjp says:

The game has been changed quite a bit since launch – at launch it had a difficulty curve which was almost retroactive – you basically slammed into near-impossible setups again and again.

They’ve changed stuff to make that happen less (mostly by making the game easier) and thrown-in options which enable you to make it easier again.

TBH – as a developer I’d rather they’d put some time in and developed a decent campaign mode with an actual learning-curve and challenge rather than just letting players hammer their heads against it.

Which is why I said it’s a lovely idea wrapped up in a shit game really…

20. polyester says:

For people in the states, Gamersgate is having a Crysis sale.
    Around $7 for Crysis and $15 for the second one. Complete pack about $24.

21. jakeandbake says:

I’m guessing the VTMB sale is UK only? When I go to Steam it’s still listed at $19.99.

22. Fumarole says:

I haven’t bought anything from GamersGate before. What are your guys’ experiences with it?

• Vinraith says:

Gamersgate’s great. Solid customer service, no client, you just download a little installer, install your game, and that’s that. No need for a connection again (unless 3rd party DRM demands it, of course). They’re probably my favorite download service after GOG, and they’ve got a larger selection than just about anyone. They even manage to run some pretty great sales.

• WotevahMang says:

I’ve had no problems with Gamersgate and you get 5% reward (called blue coins) to save up for future purchases. No mandatory running background client like Steam…each of your games have a non-installed download client.

Re: D&D Master Collection for $6.78: Argh you can’t download each game separately?!? FUUUUUUU–

• Fumarole says:

So for GG you do not download an executable like GOG, just an installer? That kinda hinders archiving the games, yeah?

Thanks for the info on the Master Collection being one download, I think that may put me off from buying it.

• Vinraith says:

@Fumarole

I just sent you a forum PM on this topic, hopefully that will clear things up.

• MSJ says:

After you finish downloading and installing games from Gamersgate, you can choose to keep the temp files they use for installation. You can then store them for later.

23. WotevahMang says:

You can save the download executable and the game cache it downloads as a backup. It gives you the option when it finishes downloading to keep both files. It’s pretty much the same as GOG.

24. JoeyJungle says:

I just got MDK2 HD, but for some reason the game isn’t stretching to full screen. In full screen mode, the picture is small and has black borders around it. Even in my monitor’s native resolution, it’s still got black borders. Anyone know how to fix this “zoomed out” problem?

Crimsoneer says:

Duke Nukem Forever for absolute peanuts over at GMG. Always had good service with them.

Thermal Ions says:

Seems the moderation gods aren’t being kind to me today. Repost from this morning with links removed:

Seems this week we can’t “question why” specials over at Greenmangaming or Getgames are ignored, but you can pick up:

Duke Nukem Forever for $4.99 (75% off) at GMG

davidgilbert says:

Its also worth mentioning the clan mod for vampire bloodlines: it adds wesp’s latest unofficial 7.9 update and more (12 quests) – including stuff like alternative outfits / music if you don’t want to mess about with the structure of the game. Main link to it is:

28. Squirrelfanatic says:

The Saints Row 3 deal seems to be UK only.

29. Risingson says:

Wheelman, with its latino voices, its salsa ads, its absurd arbitrary spoken lines, its flamenco dancers and so on, nearly got banned in Barcelona as it reflected the architecture beautifully but the rest not as beautifully. I’ve seen some gameplay videos in youtube, and my sense of irony, fun, sarcasm and all was surpassed by so many facepalm moments.

30. MastodonFarm says:

Vampire still shows up at $19.99 for me (in the U.S.). Too bad–I would have jumped on it for $5.

31. RegisteredUser says:

Pay what you want indie bundle that wasn’t mentioned and is still running another day I guess.

Not sure about the rest of the details.