Don’t Miss A Beat: Jet Set Radio HD

By Adam Smith on March 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am.

Spray it one more time

The weekend was a little grey, a little dull, although even as an Englishman I can’t blame the weather for not trying harder. Instead, I’ll lay the blame at the door of the internal imbalance that left me huddled on the couch underneath a blanket wishing I could enter the halls of sleep until waking life became slightly less of a chore. What better way to start a new week in which I am a man reinvigorated than with a trailer for Jet Set Radio HD. That’ll put the colour back in my cheeks and onto my monitor. Admittedly, it doesn’t look more highly defined than the Dreamcast version from where I’m sitting, but it’s a treat for the senses nonetheless.

Of course, it’s one of those short trailers that has very long logos at the beginning, which causes a vein in my temple to throb and threatens to invalidate my returning good spirits but, no, I’ll soldier on. Forget the logos and drink in the rainbow rebellion and the vibrancy of the city that will not be subdued.

There’s a competition to design a piece of radically revolutionary graffiti for the game as well, with prizes including a solar-powered sound system and a beverage shaker, as well as non-PC digital copies of the game. You can still enter if you want to play the game on PC though, I’m sure of it, there’s no way they could know your preferences.

Despite the game’s message of overthrowing authoritarian cartoons, one of the rules for the competition stipulates that entries must not “reflect any political images or stances”, which is understandable if regrettable. I was going to recreate a sombre Nick Clegg face exuding neon green tears.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Robert Yang says:

This isn’t hyperbole: if you don’t like this game, then you have no soul.

2. thestage says:

I don’t have a whole lot of faith in Sega’s ability to produce a worthwhile remake coupled with a competent port. There isn’t a whole lot “HD” about the trailer either. At least it looks like they’re keeping the soundtrack intact.

• alice says:

The original was a lot more fuzzy and muddled than I remembered when I played it last Dreamcast day, plus the slowdown in the later levels was horrible. So really any remake by modern standards could serve as an improvement.

3. Darcangelo says:

“What does the American dream mean today?

For Niko Bellic fresh off the boat from Europe, it is the hope he can escape from his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity. As they slip into debt and get dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover that the reality is very different from the dream in a city that worships money and status, and is heaven for those who have them and a living nightmare for those who don’t.

New high resolution technology brings Liberty City to life with even more stunning graphical detail
    Expanded multiplayer will require even more strategy and skill to come out on top
    Custom Match allows you to pick your favorite multiplayer options and then instantly find online matches that fit thoi trang giay dep
    Record gameplay clips and edit them together with a variety of options using the Video Editor and upload via the Rockstar Social Club
    Optimized for PC controls and Xbox 360 controller”

Anthile says:

Once I have that beverage shaker, I will be unstoppable!

AmateurScience says:

I <3 cell shading. Seriously wish devs would use it more (but not too much!).

Missed this the first time round, excited to have a go at it now.

6. Juan Carlo says:

Who’s Nick Clegg?

As an American I am ignorant of your strange British customs and beliefs. So in lieu of an answer I will just assume that he is a former cast member from “Big Brother.” Either that or the drummer from “Oasis.”

That’s it. He’s the drummer from “Oasis,” isn’t he?

• sneetch says:

Correct!

• SoyBob says:

He actually hosts the popular children’s art show “Art Attack”. Each week he teaches you how to make remote control holders and spooky pop-up cards, as well as the famous “Big Art Attack” where he litters all over a hillside in the shape of a car.

• Shadowcat says:

Which is why Oasis split up.

• Bhazor says:

Which is why Art Attack has been cancelled.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Which is why Big Brother was terminated and sent to syndication

7. Kefren says:

Excellent, I listen to the JSRF soundtrack while washing dishes, even though my girlfriend hates it and claims it is ‘noise’. Please understand the concept of love.

8. Ross Angus says:

Can I be the first to offer dear Adam commiserations on his glum weekend, and suggest some sort of virtual group hug?

9. RogB says:

I once modelled a fully working ‘Gum’ character model (cel shaded and all) for quake 3. happy days.

10. Awesome sarcastic robot says:

Pause at 43-44, now!

11. Nick Ahlhelm says:

Still wish this was Future, but it does make me happy that Sega is bringing the series back, even if it is just as PC ports.

12. Urthman says:

The Wadsworth Constant is an axiom which states that the first 30% of any video can be skipped because it contains no worthwhile or interesting information.

To apply the Wadsworth Constant to any Youtube video, put &wadsworth=1 at the end of the URL.

It’s uncanny how well this works and this is a perfect example.

13. wazups2x says:

Jet Set Radio Future is the better game, IMO. I really hope they do an “HD remake” of that too. I would purchase that instantly!

• pierow says:

I wish they did this, or at least actually remake JSR, this just looks like JSR rendered in a higher resolution. This screenshot from an emulator looks better than the HD trailer: http://i.imgur.com/5SgdP.jpg