Loadout’s Trailer Is Eye-Popping. I Also Spotted Brains

By Craig Pearson on March 5th, 2012 at 2:51 pm.

This is the wrongest wrong of all
While I doubt there’s a game out there that will ever match a certain cartoon shooter’s hold on me, I will pop into any example of that particular niche and have a nosey, asking hard questions like: ‘Why is this not TF2?’, ‘Has anyone played TF2?’, and ‘I have a hat in TF2, do you?’ Loadout is not TF2, but it’s not it in the best possible way: it’s cartoonish, but with a level of violence that makes even an animated death connoisseur like me look around and hope people haven’t spotted me giggling at it. The trailer below has some examples of the implausible bodily harm you can wreak (38 seconds in is just eww), and a peek into the heavy customisation options: you can build your own character and roll your own guns.

I’m most interested in the weaponry detailing over the character tweaking. It looks like you build it up from stock components, and can have ammo with additional effects: pausing the video revealed ricocheting rockets with switchable payloads. Neat.

Loadout is free-to-play, and will be out on Steam this summer.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. CrowPath says:

Ahhhh, the staring eyes!

2. NothingFunny says:

YAY! New game to blame when another kids stabs someone.

3. Skabooga says:

Holy French Underground, Craig, you certainly seem to favor the spy.

4. Chris Evans says:

Oh lordy I laughed at the over the top gore!

5. Matt says:

I wish my optic nerves were that sturdy.

6. deadly.by.design says:

Eye would much prefer a first person perspective.

7. Sizergh says:

Nice to see a game have a more realistic representation what high caliber rounds and explosives do a body, rather than constantly underplaying the effects.

• Echo Black says:

“More realistic”? I’m pretty sure erring on the side of unspectacular is more realistic. Cartoony gore makes everyone look like plasticine, which is obviously the intention here. Lumbering musclemen being severed in two and having their arms pop off with assault rifle shots, a shotgun vaporizing a head, etc.

8. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Chuck Jones on steroids, with a dash of Itchy and Scratchy. Maybe a pinch of anime-styled violence, for lack of a better comparison. Not bad.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Sorry to nitpick, but Jones was more known for being a director than animator. Friz Freleng is the one who came up with a lot of the designs for WB characters like Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, and Speedy Gonzales.

I think the art style actually lends more to the prior style of Tex Avery than the style under Jones’ direction.

• Echo Black says:

Tex Avery was also more known for being a director than an animator.

• etho says:

But Chuck Jones being known as a director doesn’t seem to change the validity of his statement, right? I thought he was just saying that the trailer reminded him of the style of animation that Jones directed.

9. Thunderkor says:

Looks like a lot of fun to me. Maybe it will soothe my eventual heartbreak over the eventual demise of Gotham City Impostors, a game I love despite it’s flaws, except IT NEVER LETS ME PLAY!!! Salt and pepper on the wound, indeed.

10. KDR_11k says:

The only problem I see: Free to play. That’s pretty much a guarantee that the fun will be thrown under the truck of profits.

• etho says:

Just like how Team Fortress 2 isn’t at all fun to play now? I mean, I do get a little annoyed at how dominant the microtransaction stuff is, but when I actually sit down and play a match, it’s still plenty of fun. And the hat-purchasing garbage was there to annoy me well before it went free to play.

Your assertion holds no water, sir.

11. Stevostin says:

I read, thought “cool”, watched and… but… what…

It’s a 3rd person shooter. A kind of game that make as much sense as a side view wargame.

Hey ! It’s a game about aiming where aiming isn’t entirely confortable ! Wanna play ?

Nope sir, thank you sir.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I dunno. I think 3rd person actually works well on consoles. Gears felt very comfortable.

But, yeah, I see no reason to divert my online shooter time from Payday and TF2 to this game. Those 2 games fill my online shooter need just fine. Speaking of which, I’m gonna play some Payday and use my newly gained Mr. Nice Guy perk to help out some of the newbies. :)

• etho says:

I don’t really mind either perspective style, as it doesn’t feel like it really changes much. In both modes, the crosshair indicates where the bullets will be going, so whether there is a gun barrel in the lower right of my screen, or a dude with a gun in the lower left is mostly cosmetic. If anything, FPS’s bug me because they make me feel like my character has a tiny gun barrel protruding from their right cheekbone. But again, makes little difference to me.

12. Legion23 says:

Well too many FTP shooter out to play for me at the moment, I kinda tend more to trying Super Monday Night Combat when it´s out. Besides that: I will choose a FPS every time over 3rd too.

• Thunderkor says:

I have a handful of Super MNC Invitational..uh..invites sitting in my Steam account if you want one. Steam name is also Thunderkor.

13. Fumarole says:

Longest life:430:07 (as Sniper)

Achievement server?

• stupid_mcgee says:

That’d be my guess. Maybe idle servers? There’s also the longest Spy life of 95:52. I seriously doubt Craig managed to play Spy for over an hour and a half on a full server and never die, but his point stats aren’t all that out-of-whack for Sniper. So, yeah, maybe an idle or trade server?

I don’t have any real problem with achievement servers. Do whatever makes you happy. But I really don’t like when people have obviously used something of that kind and then try to pimp their stats or how many achievements they have. I’m not to saying Craig is doing that here (he obviously isn’t), but I have seen plenty of people get called out on the TF2 forums for trying to act badass off inflated stats.

Craig’s engie stats are rather respectable, and it’s not impossible at all to get a point score like that if you’re playing on a good team and you have a really good match. 30 points is believable for someone who obviously loves to play Spy. I had a max pts of 56 for Medic. Then a round glitched and screwed up my stats, giving me 75pts for medic. I’ve since reset my stats, as I don’t want that made-up number on my Medic record. I’ve since come close, getting 32, but it’ll be a while before I can ever get lucky enough to tie or beat that old record of 56. Especially since I mostly play pubs.

14. MegaAndy says:

These games used to get me excited. Then usually it turns out you need to pay to get do anything decent on them. I don’t get my hopes up anymore.