Team America: Assassin’s Creed 3 Revealed, Properly

By Alec Meer on March 5th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Ice, ice, bladey

The American Revolution is a fascinating setting to have moved AssCreed onto, and not just because it puts me in mind of my beloved Colonization. Proto-technology, a wildly changeable climate, shades of grey on both sides of the conflict and recognisable mythology to apply conspiracy theories to. My major concern is that the English will be cast as one-note boo-hiss baddies, but then again the real-life modern day England is currently being governed by boo-hiss baddies, so I suppose it’s apt. Nonetheless, we’re told that new and unspellable Assassin hero Ratohnaké:ton is “of Native American and English heritage”, so presumably there will be some sympathy for King and country in there after all.

After a week of leaks and rumours, Ubisoft have officially revealed, explained and entrailerised the confusingly-named fifth Assassin’s Creed. Snow, tomahawks and George Washington await you below.

Look, I know the whole ‘pasting the press release’ thing is bad and lazy the sort of thing they do on all those other sites, but I can’t pretend I know anything more than you do about this game, so this is much easier for all concerned. I’m sorry.

“Set against the backdrop of the American Revolution in the late 18th century, Assassin’s Creed III introduces a new hero, Ratohnaké:ton, of Native American and English heritage. Adopting the name Connor, he becomes the new voice for justice in the ancient war between the Assassins and Templars. Players become an Assassin in the war for liberty against ruthless tyranny in the most stylized and fluid combat experiences in the franchise to date. Assassin’s Creed III spans the Revolutionary War, taking gamers from the vibrant, untamed frontier to bustling colonial towns and the intense, chaotic battlefields where George Washington’s Continental Army clashed with the imposing British Army.”

And, Ian Press Release adds, a new engine (Ubisoft-AnvilNext) is ‘revolutionary’, with ‘breakthroughs in visual quality, character models, artificial intelligence and underpants physics” and offers “a ground-breaking level of stunning graphics”. Which is a noisy way of saying it will probably look a bit nicer than previous Assassin’s Creeds.

We’ll have to wait to find out about that, because for now it’s CGI time. But impressive, tantalising CGI time:

I’ll miss Ezio, but I am so ready for this. The strange blip that was Revelations aside, AssCreed has gone from strength to strength over the years (albeit at the cost of its original concept), and the prospect of a new, less urban environment, a less melee-orientated Implacable Foe, potential involvement in all-out war and new interactions presses plenty of my happy buttons. I suspect my hope that there’ll be less meandering sci-fi wibble stuck to the outside is a vain one, however.

I’ve asked about the PC release date, but been pointed to the message at the end of trailer claiming that it’s yet to be confirmed. I suspect that means we’ll have to wait a few months beyond the console release date on October 31st, as per stinkin’ usual with AssCreeds, but I will be inordinately happy to be proved wrong on that.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. InnerPartisan says:

Stop. Tomahawk Time!

2. Brun says:

Wat.

• zacharai says:

How can you expect to have good pants physics when the underpants physics are dodgy? Good on you, Ubisoft, for pushing the envelope.

• Brun says:

I’m still curious as to whether that was an actual, legit part of the press release.

• zacharai says:

No. The actual press release says “breakthroughs in visual quality, character models and artificial intelligence.” It’s only Alec who’s obsessed with Native American undergarments.

3. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I kinda dislike teaser trailers, but hey, it does the job.

After the terrible first outing and the pretty great second entry, followed by a string of ho hum titles, maybe this will be worth a watch.

• PacketOfCrisps says:

Really? This trailer didn’t do anything for me. Some cliche forest ambush, followed by a cliche speech, followed by a big battle. Not really impressed, to be honest. Not saying the game will be bad, I just didn’t like the trailer.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

By “doing the job”, I just meant it’s practical as a teaser trailer. It teases the setting, character and theme, the bare minimum to let me know what might follow. It’s not spectacular by any means – it just… does its job.

• PacketOfCrisps says:

Fair enough, I misunderstood your initial meaning of “does the job”. In that sense, you are correct as it does do the job. Although a very poor and cliche job, at that. I have never been impressed by the trailers for AC so I’m not really surprised that I didn’t like this one either.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

No worries :) Actually, thinking back, I can’t remember a single AC trailer. Trailers generally put me off, and I rarely remember them (exceptions being, for instance, the MGS2 and Dead Island trailers). I went into the first AC with little to no knowledge of the game, and for the second one I had just seen some gameplay footage and… I’m sure I did see a story tailer or similar, but I really can’t recall.

• PacketOfCrisps says:

The AC trailers are always ridiculous. Despite being an assassin, they are usually seen by the guards and either a chase or a battle ensues as a result. They are generally overly dramatic cinematic trailers, as can be expected with the over the top style of AC. They just seem like fan service to me and they have no real lasting impact which is probably why you don’t remember any of them. The AC1 trailer was probably the best but even that one had its problems.

• woodsey says:

The AC2 one, during Carnivalé (sp?) was great. And the CGI was a lot better than in this one, too.

• PacketOfCrisps says:

I just rewatched the AC2 trailer after your comment and you are right, the CGI seems a lot better. The trailer was okay to be honest but it still seems silly that Ezio is seen killing the guy despite being in a busy crowd. Jumping off the roof and surviving also seemed a bit silly, piles of hay is bad enough but straight onto the cobblestones? Really? I guess that’s just the style of AC in general, I just don’t like seeing that kind of thing in the cinematic.

• EC- says:

@packetofcrisps

Cliche speech? Really? It’s an actual Washington quote.

• thebigJ_A says:

Washington was so unoriginal.

4. Teronfel says:

woo woo hoo woo hoo!

5. Anguy says:

Good thing he adopted the name “Connor” I wouldn’t have been able to pronounce Ratohnaké:ton properly ;)

• Sweedums says:

I bet the character designers were so pissed when they found out their interesting new character with his cool new name was to be referred to as “Connor”. I have to wonder how long it took them to think up Ratohnaké:ton, and who eventually made the decision that actually, that’s a silly name, lets call him Connor.

• Electricleash says:

So the devs say it’s pronounced

‘Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo’……

Which can only lead me to….

ha-gay-doo doo doo push pineapple shake the tree
      ha-gay-doo doo doo push pineapple grind coffee
      To the left to the right jump up and down and to the knees
      Come and dance every night sing with a hula melody

etc.

6. MerseyMal says:

No doubt it’ll come with a hardware dongle that PC gamers will have keep inserted in their rectum while playing it.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

They don’t call it Ass Creed for nothing.

• Brun says:

Honestly that might actually be preferable to Ubisoft’s current DRM schemes. At least we’d be able to install it on more than one machine, and could play it without internet.

• Earl-Grey says:

And having a reasonably sized dongle up the bottom could potentially be slightly pleasant, different strokes and all that. -maybe it could have some sort of Force Feedback function?
      Unlike the UbiDRM we have become accustomed to, which is comparable only to a fist of pinecones sharply and repeatedly rammed up your backside.

• Eddy9000 says:

I’d stick a dongle up my bottom if it meant I’d never have to use games for windows live again.

• KenTWOu says:

@MerseyMal
      I doubt it. All Assassin’s Creeds have reasonable DRM.

7. airtekh says:

I’m stoked for this.

I love the Assassin’s Creed series.

• bfandreas says:

Yeah, I also love AssCred but why set it in that particular period? Both the Third Crusade and the Renaissance were significant turns of events in history but the War of Independace? It somehow feels like a cheap trick to get attention. Nothing culturally new was gained from it. It’s like making a shooter set in WW2.
      Cheap, infantile, uninspired. I wonder if they can cast off the chains cheap historical inaccurate patriotism fetters them to.
      Stamp tax levvied by parliament to recoup the cost of defending the colonies against French aggression was not so unreasonable as it was made out to be. Also the guys who sought independence were parliamentarians in the spirit of Simon de Montfort and not some bible thumping idiots as they are made out to be.
      Sorry, but I expect idiocy and cringeworthy moments of lunacy. China, Russia or even 30 Years War would have been more interesting. If they had said Carthage or Alexandria I would have preordered today. That decision in this day and age spells out to me “sod them all, they won’t notice”.

• Brun says:

Are you saying that the founding of the United States – one of the most culturally and politically influential countries in the world today – was not a significant event in world history?

I know America is really unpopular abroad and all but some of these complaints really sound like “those damn Americans are even taking our video game story settings now!” more than legitimate grievances.

• RakeShark says:

@bfandreas

As an American I feel this new Assassin’s Creed game is a great way to learn about my country’s history and historical significance. I feel disheartened that you believe such an awesome day in American history would be deemed as inferior to one of the several holy crusade sequels. America has a right to equal treatment and representation in multinational conspiracy theories. It is my opinion that you feel threatened by the context of American focus and involvement to such a great degree that you will ignore it on only those grounds, just as I have ignored the other series installments because they features strange-sounding voices, unfamiliar places, and weird words like “King”, “Italy”, and “Meters”.

In summation, I think you shouldn’t let your prejudices keep you from being intellectually interested in an event in history that involves Americans doing what they do best: Explosions, freedom, and the American Way.

• Brun says:

and weird words like “King”, “Italy”, and “Meters”.

Woah woah woah. Despite being an American, I’ll be the first to admit that the metric system is far superior to the wacky units of measure we use here in the States.

• woodsey says:

• Koozer says:

‘Metres.’
      Ahem.

• Lemming says:

“I think the resistance to it is just from the fact that it’s America AGAIN, even if it’s not in the most common incarnation.”

Isn’t the present day setting in America? The Assassin line has to make it there eventually.

8. Snichy says:

I really wish I could have gotten into the AC games, but whenever I tried I just didnt have the patience to learn the convoluted control system. I’m sure to most fans it feels natural and innovative but I could never really get into the game because I was always pressing the wrong button!

• mouton says:

The funny thing is, I played AC1 and AC2 on PC so I was prepared to tackle horrible console port controls – but I assumed that they are done right for gamepads. What was my surprise when I heard that it wasn’t so.

• Gundato says:

Try AC2.

AC1 was medicore, at best. I trudged through it because I liked the premise (I actually LIKE the sci-fi story), but the game was weak.

I only tried AC2 after a massive Steam sale and the urging of a few friends. I have since purchased the other two parts of 2 brand new (albeit, on the PS3).

• ulix says:

I find the AC control scheme (on controlers!) very good and intuitive for what it does.

The upmost button represents the upmost bodypart: the head (looking arround, eagle vision, etc.).
      The left and right buttons represent the left and right bodyparty: the arms and hands (left button is for combat, like in every action game ever, and the right one for other context sensitive actions).
      The lowest button is for the lowest bodyparts: the legs & feet, so for running, jumping and so forth.

Apart from that you only really need R1 (on a PS3 controller) for modifying these buttons, and L1 to target enemies (which is a very conventional button for targetting enemies: if you can target anything, you always do it with a shoulder button, and since Ocarina of Time its usually been the button you push with your left index finger).

That might sound complicated, but really its not. At least not more or less than any first person shooter, if you’d play one of them for the first time ever.

• Lemming says:

I’m (mostly) with you. I tried the first one and thought it was like controlling a battleship through mud and promptly turned it off in disgust. I eventually got around to trying AC2, intrigued by the accurate representation of Renaissance Italy and was amazed at how different it played.

I’ve not been interested in the subsequent sequels because they didn’t change the setting, so felt it was milking it slightly, but I’d recommend AC2 as a stand alone purchase.

9. sneetch says:

“Players become an Assassin in the war for liberty against ruthless tyranny in the most stylized and fluid combat experiences in the franchise to date.”

Yeah. I wouldn’t hold out too much hope that the English won’t be branded as evil bastards… so at least it’ll be historically accurate. ;)

• lasikbear says:

I’m hoping the big twist is you are actually fighting the ruthless tyranny of imperialism and have to kill all the Americans as well.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Considering in AC cannon the founding fathers were Templars, I would be greatly amused and delighted if Connor spent the whole game killing british generals only to discover near the end of the game when he tries to Assasinate Benedict Arnold (pictured in the cropped out portion of the topic screencap) he finds out he’s been working for the actual badguys the whole time and luls ensue. The sequel can cover the war of 1812!

• mouton says:

Problem is, Ubisoft is French and the French hate both Brits and Americans – so I guess both sides be Templars practicing their military-industrial complex and trying to squish teh poor good magical assassin indians in-between.

• Harzel174 says:

Ah, but the French helped the Americans (a lot) during the revolution. Hopefully it should all make sense now :P

I would not be surprised in the least if the second installment in this trilogy was set during the French Revolution, a scant 10(ish) years after this one takes place.

• lowprices says:

By Jove, it’s one thing to play a game in which you to pretend to kill fictional counterparts of historical foreigners portrayed as one-note villains, but pretending to kill fictional counterparts of historical British people portrayed as one-note villains?

That’s a step too far Ubisoft. You’ll rue this day.

• alexanderwales says:

Assassins are liberty, Templars are tyranny. That’s been well-established in the canon. Hell, the Assassins’ motto is “Everything is permitted,” and if that doesn’t scream liberty, I don’t know what does. I don’t imagine that they’ll be making the colonists out to be saints, because everyone knows that they’re not – and the dev team isn’t even located in America.

• Eddy9000 says:

The next instalment will be called “Assassins Creed: Pointless Opinions” and feature Sean Penn donning the white robes to free the Falklands from the brutal tyranny of the British and their oppressive regime of self determination.

“the Assassins’ motto is “Everything is permitted,” and if that doesn’t scream liberty, I don’t know what does.”

Did you never play Bioshock?

10. iucounu says:

Does this mean we Brits are definitely the baddies? Or will I be able to choose sides, shank that traitor George Washington, and return history to its rightful path?

11. Gap Gen says:

It’s pretty easy to cast both sides of the conflict in a bad, or at least cynical light if desired. There’s no denying that the fledgling republic did some pretty shitty stuff to the native Americans after the Revolutionary War, plus part of the reason for the high tax burden on the colonies was as repayment for the war with French Canada, so to suggest that the British Empire was solely at fault in the war is largely American nationalism. Sure, it’s not like you’re going to assassinate George Washington for being a slave-owner, but there’s plenty of scope for depicting a murky, shades-of-grey 1770s North America.

• BatmanBaggins says:

Well, at the risk of being pedantic, it was more about the -way- they were being so heavily taxed, rather than that they simple were. Hence that whole “no taxation without representation” thing that they got all in a huff about.

• TsunamiWombat says:

IIRC, Benjamin Franklin was all the way pro-British until he went to the house of commons in England to try one last ditch effort to prevent war and he was jeered off the floor. By the same token, many of the ‘colonial patriots’ were effectively trouble makers, rabble rousers, and demagogues latched onto a political wave for their own edification. So yeah, dickery on both sides.

• Gap Gen says:

If you’re making a game about assassins, it’s nice to go to an era where you can choose from so many asshole antiheroes.

• InternetBatman says:

The funny thing is that taxes weren’t actually that high. They were much lower than taxes in Britain at the time. It was more about representation and the ability to self-govern, the taxes were just a useful rallying cry.

• Zephro says:

I’ve never gotten on with Assasin’s Creed due to the genetic memory, century spanning conspiracy crap. Which reeks of awful story telling, so my trust that they will treat both side fairly in this game are slim. Especially as games writers are normally idiots. >_>

12. TC-27 says:

Another good article from RPS.

Please leave the politics at home though.

13. Milky1985 says:

So are they going to turn the half established lore (as convlauted as it already is) on its head to make the brits the bad guys?

Can’t have a game with the americans being the baddies!!

(unless hes a rogue general or corparate boss)

• sneetch says:

I’m sure it’ll be completely accurate right down to the historical fight between King George III and George Washington that ended with George Washington losing his hand and King George III being thrown down into the reactor in the Death Star and the EnglishAmerican colonists singing yub nub ee-chub yub nub!

• spongthe1st says:

@Milky1985: This.

But then, Ubisoft is a French company, so it figures. :P

14. Khemm says:

Will they fix the stealth mechanics and will major assassinations be something more than scripted boss fights this time? Will we have multiple ways to kill targets, like in Hitman?

These are my biggest issues with the series, it needs to evolve and change at this point. ACs so far has been more about grindy activities and automatically performed parkour which has quickly gotten boring by now. It’s OH SO boring and repetitive to the point I haven’t replayed any AC game, because I got so sick of each one of them halfway through.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

No. No, and no.

• InternetBatman says:

I did find that when you got it, the gun broke Assassin’s Creed II stealth missions. You could use it in those let no one see you stealth missions. Apparently the guards could see through walls, but couldn’t hear a gunshot. That’s kind of like freedom, right?

15. Treebard says:

I didn’t really like the AssCreed games because I felt like I just guided my man towards the blinking goal while holding down the “do cool stuff” button. Visually it was great, but the gameplay grated after a few hours.

Still, this is a great idea for a setting. Weren’t there, uh, not many tall buildings back then, though?

16. Juan Carlo says:

Huzzah!

Now, after all these years, the British will finally pay (digitally) for their ongoing political and cultural oppression of us innocent Americans.

Hopefully there is a sequence where King George III has a magical alien scepter or something so you have to kick him square in his crazy nuts in order to take his magical scepter and save the world!

17. Ginger Yellow says:

This Ian Press Release guy sure knows his stuff. You should hire him.

• ThTa says:

Trust me, the “visceral” and “ground-breaking” thing starts to get a bit awkward once you ask him about his life at home.

18. BatmanBaggins says:

I am looking forward to this, but that trailer was pretty generic/uninteresting

19. Devrey says:

I don’t really like the AssCreed games, but I LOVE the original settings Ubi choose for it!

20. Vinraith says:

In every previous game there have been templars and assassins on both sides, I’ve no doubt that will continue here. It’s even been pretty well established in the previous games that several of the founding fathers were templars. The English aren’t the bad guys, the templars (on both sides) are the bad guys.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Correcto. In the original AC you were assassinating both Christian and Muslim generals who were perpetuating the war. I expect this will be a return to that form, rather than the generic yous guds theys bad setup of AC2 etall

• Zepp says:

Only natives aren’t “bad guys”. Rest are bloodthirsty invaders that deserve no less than swift execution with tomahawk.

21. Zepp says:

Meh, what a fail! I hoped you will fight for native americans and carve alternate future. Since I dislike both sides I probably won’t play the game at all. :/

22. wodin says:

Makes me laugh, actually we defeated ourselves and then decided to call ourselves Americans. It was a civil war followed by independence. So really the Americans didn’t beat the British. The British subjects (i.e British) beat the British.

So the British won. Simple.

23. greg_ritter says:

>I’ll miss Ezio
    Oh God, are you serious? The series was stagnating for two games. When AC 2 was released, I’ve almost shit my pants, but Ubisoft traded the AWESOME idea of every game having new timeframe and main hero for two, TWO unnecessary sequels.
    On the point of the game – I’d rather prefer French Revolution, but American is fine too, I guess.

• Thwick says:

I quite agree, would have loved to see French Revolution. The fact that you’ve got a wonderful historical event against a well-defined urban background would have made for an enjoyable game. I don’t think the colonial towns of 1770′s US will have the same feel as the italian cities in AC2.

• Brun says:

Transferring to other cities within Europe was probably not a dramatic enough change in setting for what Ubisoft was going for. Although it’s 300 years in the future, 1700′s Paris is probably not going to feel different enough from 1400s Venice, Rome, etc.

In other words, they’ve already done a game set in “European cities.”

• Urthman says:

If this game does well, having Connor travel to Europe and get involved in the French Revolution seems like a natural follow-up for Assasin’s Creed 3.5 (or 3b or however we’re supposed to number them).

24. ChiefOfBeef says:

George Washington was an Englishman. He probably did not speak with the accent he is given in this trailer or in most portrayals of him. Let’s hope the game doesn’t gloss-over that he was a slave-owner or excuse it with the ‘false history’ narrative because if the Templars wanted to paint an ill-picture of Washington for history to remember him by, they’ve failed quite badly.

King George III was losing his marbles, so obviously this will be explained by an Apple of Eden because no significant figure in history or anyone in power ever falls to the disorders of the mind that affect ordinary folk.

• greg_ritter says:

Why do you fear for the historical accuracy? Firstly, it’s a game, and quite silly sometimes. Secondly, it’s made by French, so I doubt it will be so biased. American Revolution is long-long past. There are no old quarells anymore, which can persist. Unlike, say, Russian Revolution, American War for Independence can be judged with cool head. It’s the thing of a distant past.

• spongthe1st says:

@greg_ritter: While I’d like to agree with you – it should just be a game and it shouldn’t matter – I have to disagree.

The only reason I feel it matters is because popular entertainment media such as films and games have a tendency to enter into the public perception of how things are, or in the case of history, how they were.

I mean – look at Braveheart, look at all the people who view Scots of the period as wearing kilts when at that point they did not. Also look at how many think it was a nationalist rebellion against oppression, when in fact it was military coup amongst English lords holding Scottish lands and employing Scottish troops – Wallace wasn’t a freedom fighter he was a feudal lord with ambitions of power.

That’s a simplification but the point stands, I wouldn’t mind if everyone thought it was mindless entertainment, and although everyone knows the whole Templars conspiracy thing is fantasy people often think all the other historical stuff going on in the background is ‘just so’. When, as many here have pointed out it’s shades of grey. If you’re going to make something in a historical setting you have a duty to do it justice – that doesn’t mean it has to be perfect but at least have a good go, otherwise it’s just spitting in the face of our collective heritage.

• greg_ritter says:

@spongthe1st: Well, previous games stated clearly that quite a few of the founding fathers were Templars, so I think (and hope) that the game won’t be about bad Brits and saint Americans. Also, da Vinchi will be traded for Franklin and his lightning gun.
      I totally can see your point, and yes, no game at all is better than the game, where history is butchered. But as I’ve said, I don’t think it will be butchered.
      Also, the main hero being Indian, I think there will be bad blood betwenn him and Americans.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Greg, Blackadder is a fictional situation comedy set in different historical periods. It is also profoundly silly.

However, if it got the subject matter wrong(and Tony Robinson made sure it didn’t) it wouldn’t be anywhere near as hilarious and would actually be very distracting to anyone that knew about it.

Fiction != do what you want with it.

• gritz says:

If by “George Washington was an Englishman” you mean “George Washington was born, raised, lived and educated in America and never set foot on the British Isles” then, yes, he was an Englishman.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Your point being?

Anyone can do bumper-sticker rhetoric: if by ‘Englishman’ I mean he was raised Church of England, fought for Britain against the French, was a subject of the King and there was no such thing as a ‘US national’ for most of his life and he was of Anglo-Saxon descent who’s first language was English and he almost certainly spoke with what was a mostly English accent with colonial intones, he was an Englishman. What else was he if not? Where he was born doesn’t matter as much as when.

Some historical errors can be explained away by AC’s sci-fi setting and the simulation, but some are just ridiculously off-putting. Washington’s accent is something that crops up very often in any media featuring the War of Independence. In Civilization 5 his accent is comically almost *Texan* like George W Bush’s fake Texan intonation. The best one I’ve heard is Empire: Total War, where it’s an ‘international English’ that has the voice everyone imagines Washington has, but speaking mostly with the ‘wrong’ accent.

• Arglebargle says:

Time period has some convolution to it: George Washington managed to free all his slaves in his will, despite the express wishes of his wife’s planter family. Thomas Jefferson didn’t, and likely sold some of his children down the river.

Would be a nice set up for moving into the French Revolution.

Disliked the first game, and haven’t bought one in the series since. Vague chance this one might get a look.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

The historical accuracy has been god-awful in all the other games, so its probably not worth getting bent out of shape over this now.

I wonder what happens to Desmond though, he’s such an interesting protagonist.

• gritz says:

My point being: George Washington was not an Englishman. Your working definition of the term is ridiculous, and any argument you make for or against “historical accuracy” should not be taken seriously.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

If Washington was not an Englishman(you don’t make any comment about what his accent probably was like, which is my initial point), then please tell me what he was prior to there being a United States? I’ll seriously never be able to watch Pirates of The Caribbean again without thinking the majority of the overwhelmingly white extras in Port Royal are playing literal Jamaicans.

It’s bad enough the only Robin Hood that ever spoke with an accent that made sense in the setting was Cary Ewes in the Mel Brooks spoof, but when we move towards fiction based on real people, we can’t get a George Washington speaking like almost any British colonial would have.

• gritz says:

He likely sounded like a Virginian. After all, it’s not like American English or the American accent magically sprang into being once independence was declared.

You may also note that “British Colonial” and “Englishman” are not the same thing.

• InternetBatman says:

Washington probably spoke like a Southerner today. Their accent has changed the least since then.

• JimRyanor says:

@ChiefOfBeef I just want to say that I know a fair few historians who would takes severe issue with the idea that, at least in the case of Blackadder Goes Forth, the show got the history right. Still a hilarious show however.

25. GameCat says:

Wait, what?

Where is WUB WUB WUB??

26. Jonith says:

I assume the name of the guy we play is Mel Gibson

• Maldomel says:

The Patriot. The only thing I remember from that movie is that scene where he ambushes all those soldiers on hiw own. Clearly, if I play it I will be Mel Gibson.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

If you can’t play as Mel Gibson, he should at least appear to give us secret locations or sell dyes.

27. RagingLion says:

Huh, so there will be running seamlessly through trees as well as rooftops this time then? I can get behind that when exploring more of a wilderness time land.

28. Guiscard says:

Yawn. Usual American revolution cultural myths and mystique, used in the same vein as in most other American produced historical fiction on it, in both trailer and press release. Its been done. They seem to have quite quickly ditched any hope of constructing an actually interesting approach along similar artistic lines as we see in Last of the Mohicans in favour of the blunt and intellectually devoid Patriot approach.

Whatever happened to going to periods people are more unfamiliar with, as both the Crusades and the Italian renaissance, or at least taking a familiar setting from a less popularist view? This could have worked in this period, but not by taking the same God Save America approach as the so many other lacklustre pieces of historical fiction on the War of Independence.

Hopefully I’m reading too much into the clearly American targeted marketing, and the actual game can still be more than an American ego-stroking trip.

• Brun says:

To be fair, the American Revolution is not the most common setting for video games.

• Real Horrorshow says:

Umm…the game is being developed and published by French people.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

..And the American War of Independence was France’s finest hour. The continental army was never going to beat Britain by itself.

Not to make a point, it’s just that I can’t see how pointing out the French-ness of Ubisoft is an argument against accusations of cynicism.

• InternetBatman says:

I would argue that worldwide more people are familiar with the Italian Renaissance than the American Revolution.

29. PearlChoco says:

I wonder how the new engine will be able to provide “breakthroughs in visual quality, character models, artificial intelligence,.. and offer a ground-breaking level of stunning graphics” on the same old console generation.

Did their programmers just got alot smarter? Did Ubisoft finally pay for their new 3D progamming courses?

Or do the DVD’s contain added circuitry to complement the console hardware (like the SuperFX chip Starfox)?

Or maybe… maybe it’s just the same engine as before and they LIE to us? No, forget it, they wouldn’t dare.

30. EOT says:

” My major concern is that the English will be cast as one-note boo-hiss baddies,”

Thanks for ignoring the existence of Scotland and, to a lesser extent, Wales (I only say lesser because of its complicated history as a Principality and de facto part of England). It’s not like the American Revolutionary war happened well after the Act of Union or anything…

• Strange_guy says:

But the Scots and especially the Welsh don’t have a history of being cast as one-note boo-hiss baddies in various fiction while the English are third only to the Russians and Germans. I feel you are missing the point. Though maybe the game will come out and be filled with evil Welshmen and I’ll feel foolish.

• cjlr says:

Funnily enough, in the era in question it was the Scottish who were seen as the baddies. That line about foreign mercenaries very nearly included a specific reference to the Scots in addition to the Hessians, the highland regiments being seen as the King’s enforcer’s at the time…

• FunkyBadger3 says:

But sir, have you never seen Trainspotting?

• Antsy says:

Yeah, it was a whole thirty years after the Battle of Culloden. I’m sure the highlanders had well and truly put that behind them and were feeling really really British. The Scottish being famous for their short memories where stuff like that is concerned.

31. Radiant says:

Dear authors of bad fiction.

When you awake from your afternoon nap and lift your head from the keyboard; it is not a good idea to name your main protagonist from the characters imprinted on your forehead.

All the best

R

32. ThirteenthLetter says:

“then again the real-life modern day England is currently being governed by boo-hiss baddies”

So is it the Conservatives or the Lib Dems who are the boo-hiss baddies? Wait… let me guess.

(And for those saying that it’s perfectly okay to have political jabs on this site, I’ll bet you’d be the first ones screaming if the political jab didn’t agree with you…)

• Chris D says:

“So is it the Conservatives or the Lib Dems who are the boo-hiss baddies?”

Both of them, obviously.

• LionsPhil says:

We’re ruled by the sinister CONDEM alliance.
      We live on a rocky, isolated island somewhere in the Atlantic ocean.
      Any citizen who owns a device capable of receiving broadcasts from our national broadcaster is legally required to pay for a subscription to it.
      Said state-funded news channel uses lots of red, has iconography involving bands around the world, and a theme tune that sounds like (insert Bill Bailey) a post-apocalyptic rave.

We’re the bad guys, alright.

• RakeShark says:

I think people confuse nationalistic joking with political joking.

• Joshua says:

Nope, its the department of civil affairs and the foreign office.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The Conservatives are the Boo! and the Lib Dems are the Hiss… or vice-versa.

33. Erithtotl says:

Was really not expecting this. A game centered around climbing tall buildings set in a location/era with no tall buildings.

But really an original and somewhat risky choice.

I would have voted for Victorian London, but I’ll give them a chance to show what they can do here.

34. MegaAndy says:

Must get Revelations! I’m one behind!

35. BreadBitten says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but that didn’t look like CGI to me, it looked engine based enough but pre-rendered like the cutscenes from Human Revolution. Mighty impressive though…

36. silgidorn says:

I just wanted to point out that in the first Assassin’s Creed there was templars in both factions, so i’m not sure that we’ll have t fights the brits for the sake of it. We’ll more likely have to cleanse the ranks of both side, in order to get rid of templars.

37. Jason Moyer says:

The game supposedly starts in the 1750′s, so it would be hard for you yellowbellied Redcoats to be the villains for the entire game. Unless he starts out fighting on the side of those pansy French.

38. Muzman says:

Forget politics for a second. Fashion! The real scandal is how far we’re stretching this “It’s totally not suspicious to wear a hood all the time” thing.
    The only real times this game makes much sense in that respect is the ye olde days of yore and the ye gods days of innit bruv, post 2000.

Anyway, the opening suggests they actually wanted to make a Last of the Mohicans game or something.
    Which would actually be kind of awesome. You could be Magua, the double agent sonofabitch actually playing both sides against the middle..
    It fits in the time period of the game apparently so you never know.

• Plopsworth says:

Well, at least the white colour makes sense in that he could have stolen it or made it from some French uniform – especially since the narrative should contain the Seven Years War / French and Indian war. Especially since, according to the Game Informer article, the French should feature in some role as well. Also, just so people calm down and before things get out of hand, they explicitly state that not all colonials are goodies and not all Brits are oppressors .

I’m cautiously optimistic as I like the preceding games and I wouldn’t even mind a slightly staggered PC release date if we (as per the norm) get all the inevitable day/month one DLC bundled with the retail release for free as appeasement.

39. godwin says:

I guess Ubisoft Montreal got hold of some of that sweet triangular sauce from Eidos Montreal.

40. Moraven says:

Gamasutra
    “Ubisoft has revealed that Assassin’s Creed III, which brings its popular franchise to the American Revolutionary War, will release to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows, and Wii U on October 31.”

TIME
    “Assassin’s Creed III will hit stores on October 30, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC. The game is also in development for Nintendo’s much anticipated new console the Wii U.”

Points to possible same release date as consoles, and also possible early fall Wii U release. Wording points to possible same day PC release, but as said, the past is not on our side.

• Milky1985 says:

“Assassin’s Creed III will hit stores on October 30, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.”

So on september 30th we can expect a press release saying that due to development issues the PC verison will be delayed by 2 months then.

Add the date to your calender!

41. ArtyFishal says:

Halloween is a bizarre choice for release date. You’d expect it to be July 4th, November 22, or something like that.

42. Inigo says:

What bothers me is not that it’s set during the Revolutionary War – but that the hidden blade has disappeared completely.
    To me the AC series has lost its one vaguely plausible pretense of stealth and is now WHOOP WHOOP IMMA CHOP YO BITCH ASS WIV MAH TOMAHAWK AWWW YEAHHHH

• Pointless Puppies says:

The AssCreed series has been devoid of stealth overtones for a VERY long time. That is, since the first game, and even then there were plenty of reasons to not consider the game as particularly stealthy.

It’s an action series through and through. It’s been that way since AC2, so the removal of one weapon doesn’t make any significant difference.

• Inigo says:

The AssCreed series has been devoid of stealth overtones for a VERY long time.

That’s what disappoints me. The “social camouflage” thing has really been underused. ACII implemented the ability to hide in crowds, but anything other than that is apparently beyond the grasp of Ubisoft. Meanwhile IO have been rolling around on the floor rubbing gravel and rotting feces onto their faces and screaming “HURRR IM A WALL THAT HITS PEOPLE WITH QTES THAT MAEKS ME STELTHY LIKE HITMANS HURRRRRRR”

Nobody seems able to do the whole “dissolving into the crowd” mechanic anymore. And that makes me very sad.

• InternetBatman says:

The trailer is just more accurate to how Assassin’s Creed actually plays. Stealth isn’t really necessary when you can kill groups of twenty guards at once.

43. FunkyBadger3 says:

I’ll be very impressed if Washington turns out to be one of the Templars and you have to off him.

There’s a reason the illuminati pyramid’s on the dollar bill, after all…

44. Inigo says:

Has Jesper Kyd’s involvement been confirmed or not? God knows he needs the work after io slapped him in the face with their tiny, shriveled, gangrenous dicks.

45. Davie says:

It looks like this might actually be noticeably different from the previous games. And the prospect of possible tree-climbing has me unreasonably excited.

Also, seeing as all of these characters are his direct ancestors, Desmond is impressively mixed-race at this point.

46. Gundato says:

Possibly mentioned before, but did everyone forget AC1?

Yeah, you were an Assassin and were generally anti-Templar/Crusaders/Christians. But the Muslims weren’t painted in all that good of a light either (I forget if the Assassin’s were officially neutral at the start, but by the end you basically were working with both sides).

It was only AC2 that really started having defined good guys and bad guy groups, and even then it got kind of ambiguous.

I suspect this will take a similar path. Connor (I refuse to copy-paste) will probably side more with the American People (it is always more fun to fight as a rebel than an “oppressor”), but it has already been established that the Founding Fathers were templars.

Now, if you can’t stand even a single American being treated as heroic or a single Redcoat being treated as assholic (or vice versa), then you have issues…

47. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

When will they realise they also need a formal statement about the DRM when they announce? Do they have a dedicated site for that like ubisoft.com/drm/ ? Because they should.

48. Kadayi says:

The premise in terms of setting seems pretty interesting, and the tomahawk is a much maligned weapon (save in Last of the Mohicans). However at the same time, they really need to lose the hood because it looks totally bogus.

49. Ace_TH_Mohawk says:

Ratohnhake:ton is a Mohawk name whoever said its silly well it’s a native name from Six Nations the Mohawk nation I’m not sure what it means but I’ll find out soon(: Hopefully people will know the native culture. I’m so excited because he’s half Mohawk like me!!! I’m half Mohawk and half Inuit :D So Assassin’s Creed III is going to be amazing for those who love AC on the Rez xD [reserves (:] I love you Unisoft!!! Can’t wait! X3 even his clothing is almost accurate!:3 the moccasins arrow holder Awesome! Hopefully they show longhouses and the 9 clan animals and everything apart of my culture xD. And to those who are apart of Six Nations please try this game!!

50. Kleppy says:

I’m all for more Assassin’s Creed, but please, PLEASE no more of the awful Desmond portal-esque drudgery through square rooms. This ruined Revelations for me, thankfully it’s not a mandatory part of the game but I can’t imagine anyone at Ubi playing through those sections and going “woah, this sure is FUN!”.

Comment on this story