Fear Not: Assassin’s Creed 3 *Will* Be On PC

By Alec Meer on March 6th, 2012 at 4:18 pm.

Connor flees from the angry PC gaming mob

Yesterday’s Assassin’s Creed III firsto-revealo-CGIo-trailero created a spot of inadvertent drama by leaving out a single word in a sentence of text at the end. That word was ‘date’. And the sentence it should have been in was ‘PC format release to be confirmed.’

Cue screaming. Not by me, as I did think it was clear, but some people got the wrong end of the stick because of the peculiar wording.

To them I say, it’s okay! It’s okay! It doesn’t mean that they’ve got cold feet about making a PC version. It’s meant to say ‘PC format release date to be confirmed.’ We have double-checked this with Ubisoft, and while we still don’t know quite when the PC version is due, we can reassure you that it is indeed due. Hugs!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. db1331 says:

As someone who has played several of the AC games on PC, I would have felt stabbed in the back if this one was a console exclusive.

2. karthink says:

The end of the trailer showed PS3, XBOX and PC boxed versions very clearly.

3. BatmanBaggins says:

All that DRM really adds to the dev time of the PC version

• Khemm says:

It’s the development cycle that is to be blamed, PC version usually begins to get worked on towards the end of the development of the console version.
      Revelations had hardly any DRM, just a one-time activation check. Rayman is supposed to have no DRM at all, we can hope that means Ubi won’t return to always-online protection – they patched it out from their games btw, with only HAWX2 and S7 being exceptions.

• Baka says:

Did they really? That is great news! Looking forward to Anno 2070 MP then after a good bargain.

• zergrush says:

I’ve got all the AssCreed games on PC haven’t really had much trouble with DRM ( I got the second one after they removed the online-only thing, and since there’s no online component I cracked it anyway just to be sure, but Brotherhood and Revelation work just fine offline ).

• realityflaw says:

Can anyone confirm that Anno has a reasonable DRM system now? Last I heard it was still using the 3 activations (albiet w/o the GFX) and locking content if you’re playing offline. I would love to buy this game, but I refuse to support Ubi’s shenanigans.

4. Drake Sigar says:

Don’t care. I’ve had enough of running through a labyrinth of DRM every time I boot up a game in order to prove I’m not filthy pirate scum. Listen up Ubi – I am NOT your hamster.

5. HardcoreGamer12 says:

i’m pretty sure it will release before D-DAY >>> 21/12/2012

6. airtekh says:

Has the co-op mode been confirmed by Ubisoft, or is that still a rumour at this stage?

7. kikito says:

They could really go with a creative DRM this time. One that replaced all sounds with woob woob music.

woob woob.

8. Rattlepiece says:

Hoping it won’t be very delayed. Revelations was “only” delayed two weeks for PC, for whatever reason..

• Brun says:

To encourage people to buy it on consoles.

Seriously, is there really any doubt and/or debate that this is why big multiplatform games often get delayed by a couple of weeks on the PC release?

They can blame the development cycle all they want, but other games release on the same date across all platforms.

9. GTRichey says:

Hmmm unless they’ve vastly improved the interface (since the last AC I attempted on PC, which admittedly was ACII) this is less than interesting. I couldn’t stick with the game long enough to know what it was trying to get me to press with the useless symbols (conveniently colour coded for a 360 pad). I want to use a mouse/keyboard and I want any prompts to be clear about what I need to do to make things happen!

• airtekh says:

I really don’t know what you’re talking about.

I played AC2 on PC with M+KB the whole way through, and I didn’t notice anything amiss.

• Baka says:

As a matter of fact, I switched back to KB+M in AssRev after trying out the console way, it was just a smoother control schematic for me – while I happily switched to my XBOX Stick for other games.

• dangel says:

He has a point. AC2 instead of telling which KEY to press, instead showed you the XBOX controller-related symbol which was pretty annoying. I printed out a key guide when recently replaying it.

It’s fair to say (especially if you play them back to back) there’s been a steady and welcome improvement to the PC controls over the years – not that it was ever really that obstructive to begin with.

In fact, what’s noticeable in the early one’s is the popup (low drawing distance) versus the newer ones but that’s no big surprise.

• airtekh says:

Ok, so I couldn’t remember what the prompts looked like in AC2, and after refreshing my memory via Youtube, he does indeed have a point. I must have just retrained my muscle memory to work with the symbolic prompts.

I can tell you that the prompts in both Brotherhood and Revelations display PC keys correctly, though.

10. Deano2099 says:

Odd, given they’re so desperate to get this out by the end of 2012 for the whole prophecy tie-in, it’ll be silly if it hits the PC in 2013

11. Saleck says:

I would get these AC games, I really would but I don’t own a console and my internet connection is so poor I would never be able to keep this “you MUST be online at all times” DRM on so I can’t do it… sorry Ubi.
    You’re heading the right way with Rayman Origins but I can’t really think about buying any AC until you confirm the DRM you’ll use.

• zergrush says:

Fyi, none of the Assassin’s Creed games have the online-only DRM at the moment, just regular one time activation.

• dangel says:

No no no.. you must perpetuate the unfounded belief that Ubisoft games require ‘net at all times (regardless of the fact that they backed down on that and even offer an offline mode for ubiplay).

I agree the original idea was fecking stupid but they changed their ways and it’s really a non issue now – it’s more or less the same as steam. I’m still not overly keen on ubiplay but ‘achievements’ do let you unlock bits and pieces which kinda feels nice(ish) especially as you can carry the points to the next game. Of course this means they’re restricted to non-game-deal-breakers but having a few more knives etc is nice.

• Saleck says:

Oh they got rid of it? cool. I’ll have to check these games out then. Cheers for clearing that up.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

@zergrush

What, even AC2? Because that did last time I played it (after I finished AssBro). Do they have an official page for this crap?

12. kurashu says:

Can’t wait. I loved all the series since it’s inception. “The Last of the Mohicans” comes to mind (might not be the same period?).

Also, I’ll leave this here for the people who leave before credits or don’t pay attention: http://imgur.com/5XlNc (taken from the above releaso-trailero thingo)
    =P

• dangel says:

also they say they’ll reveal the digital deluxey one by end of the month – so i’ll wait and see what’s different about that.

Which reminds me, one thing that does annoy me is how many versions Ubi ship – there’s so many to choose from , so many different ‘exclusives’ etc that it makes it hard work working out which one is the most ‘complete’ edition. This ticks me off – I want all the goodies :(

• kurashu says:

I know what you mean! I went to Ubisoft Montreal Office and saw the Ezio statuette. I almost broke then window and took it! (I kid! Would never do that… or would I?)

Anyway. I’m pretty sure PC will get delayed. Revelations on PC didn’t get much love this time, like Brotherhood or AssCreed 2 had.

Let’s wait and see!

13. longbia says:

( Brand shoes,clothing,sunglasses,handbag…and so on. )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!

14. Milky1985 says:

Isn’ the release date obvious, 2 months after the release on the console!

Or is it 3 months, can’t remember what the others were :P

15. Squishpoke says:

Ubisoft thinks that I’m going to buy another one of their games? Cute.

16. Shooop says:

I just noticed his tomahawk is in the shape of the assassin’s symbol. How droll.

And really stupid because it would be hopelessly flimsy by being 80% air instead of solid metal.

17. Resonance says:

As long as the games continue to look visually impressive and yet remain extremely well optimized I’m not worried about getting the game a little later. Revelations looked amazing maxed out, and ran better than any comparable open-world game.

• dangel says:

Have to say, as a series on the PC, they’ve all run really well for me – even without patching. Ubi do make good games – it’s just the fiasco with DRM that’s tainted them for many. Now that seems to be resolved hopefully they’ll stick with it. I’ve actually felt the need to buy these games for the PC because I really enjoy the series and want Ubi to keep seeing the PC as a viable platform.

Of course when the DRM was really stupid I felt very very dirty indeed – but luckily the ‘always on’ DRM never failed for me because my net connection stayed up.

Revelations – whilst not the best in the series – did show off a very good engine with some damn impressive scale.

Comment on this story