Massive Entertainment Building Far Cry 3′s Multiplayer

By Craig Pearson on March 6th, 2012 at 6:21 pm.

Like this for more stabs
Yup, that Massive: the Ground Control and World in Conflict devs have been disarmingly silent of late. But according to reports from the Ubisoft GDC event, they’re helping to create the Far Cry 3 multiplayer. “Huh?”, you might think, but hold that back for a moment – I have more. According to Vox Game’s Brian Crecente

In working on Far Cry 3′s “online universe” Ubisoft Massive is adding elements from the indie scene and social games, they say

Go on let it out now. I’ll join you.

So that’s where they’ve been. “Online Universe” pretty much just makes me think of multiplayer with some persistence across games, character levels and the like. I’m trying to figure out how a Far Cry 3 multiplayer with social additions will work, though. I guess they just mean those unlocks that Ubisoft’s Uplay touts, skins and new missions maybe? But then the indie scene thing throws me: it’s a huge, varied space.

They’re also building an unannounced third-person MMORPG for Ubi, so it’s good that they’re not just there to shoulder the bits of games that the other devs can’t be bothered to make. They apparently were the team behind the Assassin’s Creed Revelations FPS sequences.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. RobF says:

Elements from the indie scene? It’s multiplayer based on Enviro-Bear. Got to be.

2. Arkanatos says:

Did you mean “Assassin’s creed: Revelations FPS sequences?”

See what I did there?

On a completely unrelated note, there should really be an “Unsuspecting redshirt” Tag…

3. ArtyFishal says:

Cool. This and Prey 2 have me really intrigued about FPSs this year.

4. dsch says:

‘I can’t even feel my own body.’

*footsteps*

5. Rattlepiece says:

Ubisoft, let them work on another RTS instead of this, pretty please. And the least amount of DRM.
    *dreams away*

• G-Lord says:

I’m dreaming about the same thing. Let’s just hope that Anno 2070 sold well enough to convince UbiSoft that PC strategy games are worth releasing.

6. Ed123 says:

“They’re also building an unannounced third-person MMORPG for Ubi, so it’s good that they’re not just there to shoulder the bits of games that the other devs can’t be bothered to make.”

Eh, sounds like that’s exactly what their primary role is. Unless I’m missing sarcasm somewhere :p

7. westyfield says:

Make World in Conflict 2 instead!

• Khemm says:

THIIIIIS!!!

• Bhazor says:

Make Ground Control 2. Properly. Without stupid respawns.

• iZen says:

Ground Control 2 was an awesome game. Only it’s Multiplayer was crippled because of too high standard starting ressources. Reduced to 2500 this game would enfold its true potential, but nobody would play with you. Really a stupid reason to mess up a MP.

• 1q3er5 says:

Totally agree I’m waiting for World in Conflict 2!!! the first one is still awesome. I want to see a bigger multiplayer (unit wise) and umm some crazy weather would be cool too like storms and hurricanes :)

8. Swanny says:

Could be great! Far Cry Meets The Binding of Issac – soldiers running around in girly shoes with guns jammed into their foreheads!

9. vodka and cookies says:

Well it’s nice to know at least they are still around, if things go well for their MMO maybe Ubisoft will let them do other stuff too.

10. Nethlem says:

“Indie elements”?
    At this point pretty much equals to: “puzzle platformer with some physics gimmick thrown in for the unique touch”.

At least to me… but if they manage to add that somehow to an FPS game’s multiplayer then i’m all kinds of interested ^^

11. woodsey says:

“They apparently were the team behind the Assassin’s Creed Revelations FPS sequences.”

Whoever they are, I don’t like them one bit.

12. Secundus says:

it probably has something to do with the incredibly cool easy map editor that all the farcrys/crysises have. like they could do “mapping jams” or have themed contests etc etc

13. voidmind says:

I really hope they copy the co-op experience of games like Borderlands and Dead Island. Far Cray 2 could have been awesome in co-op. Instead, it was just another “meh” shooter (thought graphically impressive and beautiful).

14. Matt says:

Realm of the Mad Farmville Cry God 3

15. hypercrisis says:

Far Cry 2 map editor actually had a pretty creative community making some fantastic maps, so I hope they retain that element. My personal favorites being the puzzle maps people had designed. It was like being in the Crystal Maze. In fact I think there was a crystal maze map.

Comment on this story