Valve: PS3 And PC Crossplay Is CS: GONE

By Craig Pearson on March 6th, 2012 at 12:35 pm.

You hold them off while I go potty.
The initial announcement of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive gave us the hope that we could all get along; that you there with your hand-build Intel i7 rig could be playing with a friend who might be sat on his sofa, starting at his giant television, holding a joypad. I wanted that, you (maybe?) wanted that, Valve initially wanted that. Now Valve do not want that. Speaking to Joystiq, Chet Faliszek told them it was because they need to frequently update the PC and Mac versions more frequently.

The beta has proved we want to update not just the beta, but the game itself post-launch frequently on the PC. To do that we need to separate the platforms so one doesn’t hamstring the other. So for that, we have removed the idea of cross-platform play — essentially make all platforms stronger by not mixing them.

That’s understandable. Plus CS is so finely balanced it’s constantly in flux, and I can’t see how something tuned for PC and mouse in the very specific, delicate way that CS is could ever be replicated on the PS3 anyway. At least not in a way that could make cross-platform play competitive.

Anyway, here’s a screenshot of de_lake. I think you’ll find… wait… make it big.

Now look to the bottom left, the truck in the corner. What is he doing?

Getting all CSI on this shit.
Is he cleaning the car? Walking like an Egyptian? Playing on an invisible pool table? Did he think the camera couldn’t see, and break into a little dance? I’m so emailing Chet. I will solve this mystery. In the meantime, feel free to check the pixels yourselves.

, , , , , .

1. Reynoldio says:

He’s a little teapot

2. remover says:

You know, I love Rock Paper Shotgun.

All this vile console hate is getting reeeeeeeeeally old though. Feels like every other post is dripping with it. No need to be so cocky about it all.

Of course it will always be fun for people who are fans of one thing to poke fun at fans of another thing, but maybe tone it down a notch?

People do like consoles for reasons that don’t consist of “mom bought it”, “dad bought it”, “I only know how to breathe out of my mouth-hole” or “I can’t think for myself so I bought that thing the halo commercial told me to buy”.

• qrter says:

Oh don’t be so serious.

• JimRyanor says:

What’s vile and hateful here? Craig said he WANTED crossplay.

• brulleks says:

Are you sure you read the right article or posted on the correct thread? There was nothing anti-console in this at all.

• bear912 says:

To be honest, this post didn’t seem horribly anti-console to me. Not sure what rubbed you the wrong way about it, really.

• Craig Pearson says:

I have a 360 and PS3 on my desk and I made no snide comments about consoles at all.

• fionny says:

Sheesh, this is a PC site they are having fun with it and most people enjoy it for what it is…. harmless fun.

Chill out.

Im gutted they pulled cross platfiorm… not because i wanted to play it on PS3 but because I wanted the keyboard and mouse official proven the most efficient controls for FPS.

• shaydeeadi says:

There was nothing snide about it, and frankly it was always going to be the right decision for a competitive game. It’s not fair in any way to put controller players against KBM players, I’m amazed they toyed with the idea as long as they did.

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I only read positive things in this Article. Perhaps I interpreted it differently than you, because of some cultural difference?

• Lambchops says:

I misread Jim’s reply as “Craig said he wanted cosplay.”

As such I expect to see Craig dressed in military gear, pulling funny poses in front of cars.

• Lenderz says:

I think its really inappropriate for Craig to rub our noses in his vile hatred of Badgers and people who are different to him in some way. I THOUGHT THIS BLOG WAS ABOUT PC GAMING.

I shall be cancelling my subscription post-haste, until you toe rags learn to not write words I disagree with in my imagination.

Excuse me I’m off to write to the Daily Mail.

• djbriandamage says:

I resent the part of the article where Craig implies mandatory cosplay for all console players.

• Phantoon says:

An Xbawks and a Playstation on one desk? That is a large desk.

• Nallen says:

Hey Remover, that was a finely crafted troll right? :) I like it!

• ScubaMonster says:

Eh, I have consoles from every generation and I never took offense to anything on RPS. I do think sometimes that PC snobbery can be ridiculous but I don’t really care about it and I never got that feeling from RPS writers.

• etho says:

I agree that sometimes the snobbery can get a little thick around here, and it gets a little annoying at times. BUT this article is a poor example of that tendency, as there was nothing actually negative said or implied about consoles. If anything, the article seemed to be in favor of increased console/PC unity.

3. InternetBatman says:

I thought the PS3 could use a mouse and keyboard. It would be a neat way to segue console players to computer games.

• Onishi says:

Well I think the big thing in the mouse+keyboard, is yes M&K is more accurate and better in every way for precision, but that isn’t often why people play consoles. When I’m playing a console I like to be leaned back in a comfortable chair, giving the rest of my body a break from the uncomfortable position of sitting in deskchair with K&M for 8 hours a day at work. Playing with a handicap for comfort is just fine, assuming your opponents are also having the same handicap. Playing comfortable when 90% of opponents are playing precise on the other hand… isn’t particularly fun. Which I’m sure causes many console players to preffer single player games, over games that force them to use a K&M just to have a snowballs chance in heck.

• Suits says:

Why don’t you get a comfortable deskchair then?

• Kollega says:

I second what Onishi says. I am primarily a PC gamer, but have a bit of experience with my PS2, and has taken to call it “the bourgeouise side of gaming”. It’s certainly more relaxing than sitting at the PC. It certainly has it’s place. I know it dosen’t entail playing Counter-Strike, however. Analogue sticks were made for less precise, more destructive weaponry (i.e. everything from Ratchet & Clank).

• Brun says:

Someone needs to go and do a major ergonomic redesign of the office chair and make one specifically for PC gaming. I really don’t think a traditional desk chair is particularly well suited for sustained mouse and keyboard usage.

• Lev Astov says:

I play with K&M on a couch and and big screen; it is most comfortable while reclined. At first I used a nice slab of wood on my lap to support the mouse and keyboard, but nowadays I have one of those couches with a center console with drink holders. When I want to use the mouse, I put a mouse pad where the drink holders are and the keyboard on my lap. It’s perfect!

• mr_notorious says:

PS3 version supports controller, Move, and…wait for it…KB/M.

• Ruffian says:

I do believe I read somewhere that m+kb on Ps3 (I’m sure I’m phrasing it wrong, I hope you can understand what I mean somewhat) can only move like with, or up to the sensitivity level of the controller, which I guess is not as high as that of a mouse hooked up to a pc. I could be completely wrong though, or thinking of some older shit.

4. tsmike says:

One of the L4D zombie cast wondered onto the CS set. He was promptly redirected after the screenshot was taken.

5. DrScuttles says:

I’m not in the beta and have no idea how often they would update the released game… but TF2 is currently having weekly updates. If Valve were to continue with a similar approach with CS (which I do doubt but you never know) and it truly does cost $40,000 to patch a console game, that would be a lot of money for little benefit. And when you get down to it, that means less profit from the inevitable Terrorist’s Boutique.

Surely all cross system play would do is pit mouse and keyboard against controllers. Is that fair?

• bear912 says:

No, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be fun

… at least for one side of the battle.

In all seriousness, ranked matchmaking might actually mean that it wouldn’t matter what input method you were using. You’d end up facing off against folks who had similar skill levels, hopefully, so if you were using a controller you probably wouldn’t be pitted against a competitive PC player who’s been using the same sensitivity for a decade. That seems like the idea behind it, at least.

• DrScuttles says:

I was hoping that Valve would have figured out some way to work it, even if I couldn’t. I usually trust Valve to work things out sensibly, even if I’m not always enamoured with their final decisions.
      But alas poor PS3 and PC crossplay! I knew him, bear912, a playmode of infinite jest, of most excellent headshots.

6. LarsBR says:

He is clearly propositioning the driver, necessitating a full armed response by the SWAT team.

• El_Emmental says:

That’s what I initially thought, until I saw the “He’s a little teapot” comment.

It’s just too damn good and adorable to be ignored, he’s now clearly a small teapot. Probably played too much Prop Hunt.

7. stallonezone says:

Looks like he’s doing a lambda to me.
    Half Life 3.

8. jimbobjunior says:

He’s clearly doing the safety dance.

9. Lars Westergren says:

Invisible rugby tackle.

10. Bantam says:

Despite protestations to the contrary, I also had real doubts that the console players would have been competitive with the top PC players, if skill levels were roughly equal. I understand that console patches are an expensive business, but I think they could’ve made it work if they thought competitive cross-play would be feasible.

• Ratchet says:

Time is also a factor. It takes weeks for software patches to get vetted by the console manufacturer.

11. Jeroen D Stout says:

What confuses me is the architectural choices on the house – it seems to be a beach house but with Tuscan pillars; but then the top has no actual balustrade and the roof is tiled; and then a wooden staircase… I could understand it if the style was absurdly modern, but the classical pillars are just strange. Perhaps I am completely naive as to this type of building.

• Wunce says:

In video game architecture, only the amount of explosions (and the amount of glass to be shattered by said explosions) a building can contain are important.

In the photo we clearly see either one large explosion or two smaller explosions engulfing the dwelling, which would make this a superb structure if not for the distinct lack of windows.

• Lenderz says:

Whoever thought having their upstairs ablaze was making strange design choices I couldn’t agree more.

• Lev Astov says:

Jeroen, the internet is yours.

12. Ratchet says:

I know there are some really good console players out there that rock with their preferred controllers, but I don’t see how good console players can compete in a fast paced shooter with even a mediocre PC player using a keyboard and mouse. The level of quick control and precision afforded by the keyboard/mouse combination just can’t be matched by any handheld controller, no matter who’s hands are controlling it.

• subedii says:

PS3 can make use of KBAM. That’s part of the reason why it was an interesting idea (cross-platform play wasn’t, at the time, going to be possible with the PS3).

Matchmaking was also going to be skill based, which effectively meant that even if gamepad players were playing, they’d be matched with people playing at their own skill level, whether that was other good gamepad players or other, perhaps not-so-good KBAM players.

Of course, this is all moot now. I can understand the decision. Both versions would have to be kept in synch, but if you want to be constantly updating the PC version, it’s not really a viable route. It’s a shame but I think I’m glad they made that call.

13. gotBurner says:

I prefer the two not mixed. I don’t want to see the PC experience dumbed down to make it work with the limitations of the console. I’m not bashing consoles or their players, they have a place, and a role in gaming, but I have a PC for a reason, to take advantage of more power, and control.

14. respawned says:

He is so dancing… ;)

15. Alexandros says:

well, The Steam Box will solve that problem so we just have to wait.

16. Eclipse says:

who in hell would want to play CounterStrike with a joypad on PS3 versus mouse equipped PC gamers?

• Nim says:

Against CS players no less. You can’t even play against them using keyboard and mouse!

• diebroken says:

Any chance of a gamepad aim-assist mode…(?)

• MasterDex says:

@diebroken: That’d go down well! ……Just like it did in Crysis 2. :D

17. Suits says:

Practising for better ragdoll animations.

18. Ergates_Antius says:

Those look like patches of blood on his chest, so I think me might just be falling over dead.

19. nfire3 says:

Why can’t they have cross-platform with Xbox and PS3?
    Both could probally update at the same time and both use gamepads

• mr_notorious says:

Xbox 360 cannot have Steam because of Xbox Live strict network.

20. Jimbo says:

Keeping the master race pure, just like God intended.

21. Rattlepiece says:

Haha, he’s doing the dance!

22. Beelzebud says:

Good. It’s nice to know that the PC is still their focus.

23. Etherealsteel says:

I’m not sure why you’d want to play CS on a console, just feels weird to me. I don’t know, maybe I’m more of an old school CS playa before CS got consolized.

24. Grimhound says:

It would appear that the guy in that image… is doing the robot. Valve teases TF2 players, again.

25. Tubby McChubbles says:

Loosely translated: “They want to charge for updates”

26. lordfrikk says:

Console hamstringed by PC, that’s a new one, Chet!

27. BAshment says:

PC gaming eugenics.

28. Danzflor says:

Welp, Valve is teasing robots on the Store FB Page, this Hunter-Killer guy, The Tin Soldier tease of EDGE Magazine, the files founded last week and now this CS stuff, now it’s obvious that it’s something related to the upcoming TF2 Tobor Update.

29. rockman29 says:

I don’t get why they just don’t enable it for like Valve-made maps and servers that flip a switch and allow it?

Don’t really see the point of removing it entirely. I can understand for modded levels and such, but not basic levels to be included in all games.

I can however see patching becoming a problem (re: if Valve wants to add features to the PC version not capable of being added into the PS3 version or something).

• buzzmong says:

While I think patching is a big issue, I reckon Valve have discovered what the Shadowrun (Xbox 1 title) devs did back around 2003, in so far that a mediocre PC player with a KB and mouse will trounce the best controller users in every match and utterly dominate good or average controller users with ease.

Obviously, the playfield is slightly different with PS3 allowing use of keyboard and mouse, but I suspect it’s only a very small fraction of PS3 gamers that use it.

• ascagnel says:

Shadowrun was an early X360 game (not Xbox 1), and the main issue was that they had to nerf the KB+M combo by removing the entire reticle and making aim go almost totally wild when moving.

30. Stevven says:

This is too bad. It would be awesome if you could have an Xbox/PS3/PC integration! But I know… Dream on.
    _______________________
    PS3 Move Games

31. Nethlem says:

I wonder how much of that decission actually boils down to “we couldn’t balance mouse vs controller properly without gimping/buffing one of the two sides heavily”.

Yeah i know valve likes to patch their stuff regulary, but this whole “excuse” sounds kinda weak considering that crossplatform play had been one of the main features for CS:Go.

Past crossplatform titles ran into the same issues, shadowrun had more spread on the weapons for PC Players to balance out the increases accuracy trough using a mouse.

Afaik even Halo 2′s idea of “crossplatform” play failed because they couldn’t come up with a good way to balance the whole thing without giving one of the two player bases some huge artificial advantage/disadvantage. So they rather scrapped the whole crossplatform idea.

Sure we are all waiting for the ultimate competetive crossplatform FPS so we can just duke out what control method works better for FPS games. But i think these past experiences are a pretty clear sign what is better suited to control an FPS game.

If a controller would be equal in that regards then Shadowrrun wouldn’t have needed more spread on PC players weapons and Halo 2 would have had crossplatform play. But the matter of the fact is: They tried it, but couldn’t balance it so they didn’t do it.

32. Shoelip says:

I don’t really see this as a bad thing. The console version would just hold back the PC version if they interacted. Consoles are just objectively inferior in pretty every aspect besides accessibility, and number of games from Japan. The only reason we get so many multiplatform releases these days is because consoles are so much more profitable so the games are designed for them and then ported to PCs, unlike what used to happen where they’d design totally separate versions of the game for the PC and console that took advantage of each platforms’ inherent strengths and weaknesses.

And no I don’t hate consoles. I have all three PlayStations, a Dreamcast, a Gameboy, and a DS. Which is why I can say that.