A Glimpse Of A Game Of Thrones RPG

By Jim Rossignol on March 7th, 2012 at 12:22 pm.

Anyone got any l33t pauldrons? Mine are totally lvl1.
Atlus and Cyanide have released a bit of footage of the A Game Of Thrones RPG. It talks about someone wanting to marry her brother, so that’s nice. This is apparently a preview of one of the playable areas in the game, Castlewood. Atlus explain: “Situated on the banks of the Blackwater in the Riverlands, Castlewood is the prosperous seat of the House of Harlton, bannermen to the Tullys.” You can also see this previous video for another location in the game. It’s all looking a bit medieval to me.

To be honest I know nothing about A Game Of Thrones, so the excitement-factor of this particular glimpse of the game is lost on me. Anyone able to bah/hurrah about this?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Vegard Pompey says:

Hurrbah.

2. AmateurScience says:

I shall neither say bah or hurrah. That was something of a non-event really.

There is a lot you could do with the licence so I still have some hopes for this – but I think they need to leverage some of what makes (made? I’m a little jaded after the last book) Game of Thrones interesting. References to incest does not a Game of Thrones game make.

3. Hakkesshu says:

It would be neat if this turns out okay, but all the footage really just looks incredibly bad. I’m honestly shocked that Atlus is on board and that’s probably the only reason I’m not dismissing it out of hand.

There’s tons of potential for a computer game adaptation of the series. Mount and Blade already exists, though.

• Sassenach says:

Wasn’t it decided that Crusader Kings 2 was about as good a ‘Song of Ice and Fire’ game as could reasonably be expected?

4. Khemm says:

One the one hand, I’m hoping it will play similarly to Gothic or Risen, which I would be really happy about, but on the other hand, I doubt it will feel as believable as Gothic or offer the same degree of non-linearity, exploration, role-playing and so on.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is I have a feeling this game will suck, but I so want to be wrong.

5. bob. says:

You should also report on the Game of Thrones mod of Crusader Kings 2 (http://citadel.prophpbb.com/) once it’s out, I am much more looking forward to that than any half-arsed RPG. An Alpha will be released next month hopefully. Though I haven’t really kept track of it, so I don’t know how much apart from the map actually changed.

• Martel says:

Oh my, that sounds lovely. I already like CK2, but that seems like a perfect fit. Thanks for linking that.

• JB says:

Thanks indeed, I was wondering if such a thing might be made.

Cheers, bob. !

• Carra says:

I was just gonna post “just give me CK2 set in Westeros”.

My prayers have been answered, thanks for the link.

6. RedViv says:

This looks cleaner than I would want it to.

7. Williz says:

Barryhurr.
    Nothing really of import in the trailer and quite boring really.

8. President Weasel says:

Jom, despite it being descibed as “the gateway drug of fantasy” I still recommend reading the first book or watching a couple of episodes of the tellybox show. It’s rather good.

• MikoSquiz says:

I kind of freaked out over the idea of knowing nothing about Game of Thrones. The first season’s been out forever! It’s like a medieval version of The Sopranos, if The Sopranos was miles better than it was! So maybe it’s more like a family-oriented (but not family-friendly) medieval version of The Wire instead! You need to already have seen it, dammit. There is no excuse.

9. Juan Carlo says:

I don’t know who any of the other characters are, but I recognize the old dude from the novels.

I think his name is Lord Exposition, from the Backstory clan.

10. MistyMike says:

I just finished reading a short story collection called Sandkings. Man, George RR Martin used to be such a good writer…

11. Werthead says:

Also obligatory mention of the Medieval II: Total War mod:

The animation in the trailer looked really awful, the character models about five years old and the dialogue was bad. In fact, I get the impression that whilst the original dialogue (in French) may have been okay, they’ve really not put any money into getting a good translation. It’s all so stilted and awkward.

I think it’ll be a huge improvement over the strategy game, but it’s still very underwhelming at this stage.

• Davie says:

The M2 mod is excellent, even in the early stage it’s in, and pretty handily manages all of the things you’d want in a ASOIAF RTS. There’s also one for Mount & Blade Warband which seems to be coming along nicely.

It’s a bit sad when small teams of amateurs working out of their bedrooms can regularly produce better content than a developer with hundreds of thousands of dollars at their back.

12. Discopanda says:

I love the SOIAF series, but oddly, I don’t think it lends itself very well to an action game (though it definitely lends itself well to a Crusader Kings 2 mod, hurrah for that). Cyanide’s track record is a bit spotty what with that subpar RTS/board game thingie they released last year, and the art direction and production values in this look… bleak. If they nail the RPG part of the equation, it could be worth a look, but I’m certainly not holding my breath.

13. ahmedaak88 says:

the word that come to my mind is (Soap Opera) for nerds of course

14. westyfield says:

Yay, another location previously unmentioned by the books, inhabited by a family that no-one had heard of.
    They’re really not doing much to stoke ASOIAF fans’ excitement about this.

• Davie says:

But one stage will be set in the general vicinity of Gulltown! And Hodor will make an inexplicable hilarious cameo! It’s totally relevant to the wider canon!

…yeah, they’ve basically lost my purchase at this point.

15. Stevostin says:

Again : don’t do cutscenes if your character animations are not up to it. This could work well enough in first person view, but certainly not in camera view. (note that I assume it will not be FPS based on thoses images only, as it’s just never clearly confirmed anywhere)

This screams to me : “we try hard to be up to the potential of the license but sadly are a bit short on the budget/skills/time/whatever”.

16. Ezhar says:

A Song of Ice and Fire and is so popular because it’s an amazing story. Making a computer game out of stuff that’s not “canon” doesn’t work. You’ll have to get George Double-R to contribute some original writing (not just the “yeah, he did a tour of the studio once and then ate some of our pretzels” level of involvement). Oh, and perhaps also remove the stick from the voice actor’s back. He sounds pained.

17. Vadrigar says:

What’s the point of a “Game of Thrones” game which is neither set in any of the places from the book, neither has any of the characters? Get some money from the name I guess…

• Wombats says:

Exactly. A Game of Thrones has plenty of material, why make more we don’t care about?

Because Cyanide don’t understand the games they make.
      To think Bethesda and Bioware were offered this.

I am playing the Bloodbowl Java client on FUMBBL to avoid Cyanide’s interface and team wiping, its wonderful.
      Cyanide needs to stop wrecking good IP and go back to making fantasy football managers.

18. Maltose says:

Got RPG?

19. Hodor says:

Hodor

20. bill says:

Is the last book a big disappointment? I haven’t got around to reading it yet. (no spoilers please).

I started reading the series thinking it was going to be 4 books – which would have been great. But i’m getting the sense it’s growing into an unwieldy epic. Is it supposed to be 6 books now?

• sonofsanta says:

Supposed to be 7 now. And FWIW, 5 is better than 4 IMHO – 4 faffed around far too much and ended up being a lot of filler to not-a-lot-of-plot-except-at-the-end. 5 is a bit tighter in that regard.

The end of 5 has a couple of good bits as well. The kind I couldn’t possibly talk about.

21. pipman3000 says:

boo there probably won’t even be a single rape or sibling fucking in the entire game

edit: and feasts too, i want the entire game devoted to feasts and feasting

22. rossgamer1986 says:

What an amazing game, Im so glad I was one of the lucky few who got a closed beta version at ow.ly/9rKOb I really enjoyed playing this new version. I also own a Genesis copy, and I can tell you that you wont be disappointed with this new version if you are a fan of the first one as I am.

23. Grey_Ghost says:

She is my sister! My sister-in-law! My sister! My sister-in-law! My sister! My sister-in-law! … She is my sister and my sister in law!