Deadly Piecharts: 30 Minutes Of Planetside 2 Footage

By Craig Pearson on March 7th, 2012 at 10:22 am.

I'm so buying those goggles
This morning I’ve been watching this off-screen GDC presentation of Planetside 2, and realising that my life is incomplete without it. I thought I need a cat, flat and significant other, but really my goal in life is to be the best damn Infiltrator I can be. There are four videos below, with about 30 minutes of Planetside 2 exposition, starting with an overview and showing everything from the large scale battles and maps, to the store and stats. They’ve finally released details about the most important/worrying aspect: the business model. Succinctly: they’re selling customisation options, side-grade weaponry can be earned or bought, and anything that’ll directly affect the way you play (medkits or implants) are earned in-game. As is the way of these things, there will be a subscription option as well.

Of course, the next question is how long unlocks take, but SOE are going to enable Eve style offline advancement, so it shouldn’t be a grind. That was always my biggest concern, over and above the shooting which I’d already assumed would be good. It does look proper shooty, and bases are complex, multi-level things. Cracking them requires resources and team-work, and it has that shivery Planetside atmosphere where you can approach a fight in a dropship, watching those flashes of light coalesce into raging localised battles.

The details are really starting to come together. Jump to the fourth if you want to see the stats that they’re tracking and exposing: weapon proficiency will trace how accurate you are over time, and there’s a delicious looking pie-chart that delivers faction specific murdering information. That’s what ultimately got me: guns are good, but graphs are better.

Part 1: A glimpse of war

Part 2: Accidental power outage between 1-3 minutes

Part 3 – Ground battles.

Part 4 Trends: Murder graphs!

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Creaturemagic says:

Awesome, haven’t watched it yet, but the pure fact there is 30 minutes of footage is awesome. Plus I bet its good.

• OrangeSoda says:

So far so good, kind of.

The quality of the graphics they’re going for here has me seriously worried. Things like Physics, Dynamic light sources (flashlights), detailed shadows.. Times hundreds of moving players?

Sounds Impossible. As a veteran of PS1 I’d be more than willing to sacrifice most of the flashy graphics stuff just to be sure that more people can run the game. It seems like they are trying to keep the graphics on par with the Call of Duty Franchise, but I think thats the absolute wrong approach. Focus on the Planetside-stuff not the cliche graphics nonsense.. who actually cares about physics and shadows anyway.

• zbeeblebrox says:

It’s a misconception that graphics affect MMO performance, vis a vis: lag. Game art is always loaded locally, from your computer, and has no bearing on the game’s ability to maintain and update everyone’s connection to the server.

Which isn’t to say you shouldn’t be worried. The real concern here is that they want to do real-time gunfights on a massive scale with 100s-1000s of clients all logged in and shooting high-speed distance and time equations at each other at once. And they somehow expect the servers to register everyone’s hits fairly and consistently.

I guarantee you, the first time there’s a truly epic-scale battle, their servers will grind to a halt and everyone will be playing a slideshow or getting shunted.

2. Unaco says:

Any further word on the Region Locking? Segregation of US/European players?

• Gozuu says:

Considering it is an FPS -> You can tell that the two won’t be allowed to mix.

• Mavvvy says:

From what I can tell they have re-negotiated with their German partners and a solution is in the works.

• Dana says:

@Gozuu
      Name one good FPS that doesn’t allow European and US gamers to play together.

• Unaco says:

@Mavvy…

That is good to hear. I hope they get it sorted.

• Mavvvy says:

@unaco yeah the existing community kicked off on the forums and they listened. Hopefully its a precedent.

• Derppy says:

I actually hope there’s US / Europe / Asia region locks, not because I wouldn’t want to play with people across the globe, but because latency sucks, especially in FPS games.

Latency will be an issue in this game regardless, but I don’t want to have 150ms latency even under optimal conditions.

Most FPS games allow different regions to play together, but how often do you see people from different regions on the servers you play? I’m pretty sure most of the people sort server lists by latency and for a good reason.

• Unaco says:

@Derppy…

That’s all fine and well, and I respect your choice not to play with people in different regions. But, I think those of us who want to play across regions should be given that choice. Rather than just outright preventing it, it should be a choice for server admins, player groups etc., rather than having SOE make the choice for us.

• Cooper says:

@Unaco

Server admins?

You do realise this is an MMO, so there will only be centralised servers. It’s not you usual FPS where anyone can set up a server. This is not a choice SoE can ‘leave to the players’.

If the game is or is not region locked, that will be a decision that affects -all- players. As the servers will be centrally operated by SOE (unless you want to pay to rent a server that can handle 1000 players?)

• aircool says:

I got an update that said they were going to let us have the option to choose where to play.

3. Njordsk says:

Do want. NAOW §

4. Davee says:

Yes please! :D

bear912 says:

I do believe I am pleased.

6. patrick says:

more like DIEcharts!

7. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I had doubts before, but now I cannot wait! Shame he didn’t show the max suits though, guess they’re still in development :(

8. Xeaon says:

Looks lovely. Shame there’s killcam, kinda ruins stealth-suit and sniping :/

Not sure what to think about the removal of the AMS in favour of battlefield like squad spawning.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Didn’t play PS1 so I don’t know what ams is, but you could spawn from the dropship and stuff, and the squad spawn is only for squads with a squad leader who has specced it. I think it seems like a neat solution.

I wouldn’t mind a bit longer spawn time though, but that could have been speeded up for this demo.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

Not sure about that killcam either, it’s shitty in BF3 and here they seem to have just copied it 1/1…

I think now the galaxy will fulfil a more prominent role then before, with the spawn point on it. It doesn’t seem to be cloaked though… And will we still need ANTs to keep our bases powered? That was a really cool mechanic.

Oh, and where’s the lodestar? (Or whatever that vehicle carrier was called?) I guess with the Galaxy/AMS combo they’re not as much needed anymore, though it would be cool to be able to drop an entire tank company somewhere!

I also didin’t seen any AA vehicle or race-specific light tank/buggy like in PS1…

• Quine says:

The AMS was one of my favourite features- a good AMS driver could take it upon themselves to park one somewhere quiet round the side of a massive battle and single-handedly open up a second front. Then cover it in spitfires and mines.

This is all looking supergreat though, and I am tremendously excited so far.

• Gnoupi says:

“Shame there’s killcam, kinda ruins stealth-suit and sniping :/”

While I understand your point on the stealth/sniping side of the argument, you have also to consider the other side. Getting killed by a hidden sniper is annoying, very annoying, in all shooter games. It’s annoying because you just lost a fight you didn’t even know you were in. In an instant, you get killed, and that’s all you know, you have no real idea of what happened. And if you go to the same place, you will get killed, again.

Of course it’s normal from the sniper point of view, but it’s incredibly frustrating for the rest of the players. A killcam relieves a bit of the frustration, by showing you what happened, who killed you, and how.

9. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Give this game to me. Now.

10. Snack says:

I didn’t see anyone crouch or prone in this video. By the look of the level design these features might not be in? No complaining, just trying to fill some gaps.
    edit: Never mind, just seen someone crouching. But still there’s not much cover in the lever to really matter.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Been a while since I played PS, but I don’t remember it having prone. Crouch, yes, but not prone.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Crouching is all over the official trailer. I don’t mind the lack of prone, it makes the game more about troop movements and tactical combinations rather than pixelhunting twitch-shooting.

11. Docslapper says:

Oh God that took me right back to happy days spent continuously respawning and charging into TR bases :)
    Really glad they kept the support roles. My twitch skills suck so being able to compensate with engy, medical and leadership roles is good.
    I didn’t see any stealth or Maxes, wonder if they’re keeping those? Please no Mechs though, tanks is enough :)

Looking forward to the carnage and mayhem!

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

If you watch all of it you will see people running around in stealth suits and MAX in his spawn selection screen.

12. cafe says:

I never played PS1 so i’m not sure about this but isn’t this a game set in the future? In the third video there are playes driving around in tanks that don’t look futuristic at all.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Vanu Magmowers are plenty futuristic enough. The other faction tanks tend towards the more believable designs although TR had a cool bulbous-retro vibe to it.

13. killmachine says:

good stuff. have been registered for beta for a while now. hope it takes not too long for them to invite people. definetely looks more promising than firefall. although, ps2 does not have a PVE component as far as i’m concerned. it’s just huge player vs player battles.

14. Quine says:

Anyone seen evidence of the Thumper grenade launcher yet?

I loved that weapon…

15. SAM-site says:

Right, that does it. I’m upgrading from my reliable but sadly a little over-the-hill laptop to a desktop again.

Between this and The Secret World I think I may be set for the year.

/please be good

16. TT says:

missed the 1 planetside thing back then, so maybe this makes sense… but that first pic!
    Why is spider-man there?
    Why is a power ranger trying to shoot Im in the back? and above all
    Why are wales in the sky!

17. BinkBankBonk says:

Would people stop reusing acronyms in video gaming? It’s getting ridiculous.

18. aircool says:

Lifetime sub please so I don’t have to worry about paying for anything else…

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

This.

No, no, I don’t WANT it to be “free to play”. I WANT TO PAY THEM.

This is how messed up it is; I see the irony. I see them laughing about how we are begging to give them our money but I dont even care!

19. MFToast says:

Looks pretty awesome! I just hope these “resources” they speak of won’t be extremely hard to collect without throwing cash at it.

20. DXN says:

Fuck. Yeah. I never played the original Planetside, but I absolutely love the sound of all the support classes. Especially Galaxy piloting, omg. Memories of transport choppers and supply trucks in project Reality…

21. Stevostin says:

Each new visual looks better than the previous and I am now officially hot for that one, except for one thing : where is the blood ? I want to feel like I am killing things, because I can’t do it in real life.

22. Mutak says:

HELL YES!

NC FOREVER!

Inside, i am squealing like a 24 year old girl at a Bieber concert. On the inside. The outside is being much more manly. ;)

23. Raithah says:

Is that an ANT at 4:45 in Part 2 :D

24. Morat says:

gonna need a bigger chair.

25. marsilainen says:

Battlefield 3042!

Looks very nice.

26. TwwIX says:

Now, this is how you do a proper PC shooter! This puts Battlefield 3 to shame.

27. MadMatty says:

damn looks ok good- why hasnt my beta key arrived (rhetorical question)

28. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

“…and anything that’ll directly affect the way you play (medkits or implants) are earned in-game.”

Succinct yes, but to be strictly accurate instead, are earned in game AND/OR can be paid for with real money.

29. squareking says:

Oh my. Oh yes.

30. ZephyrSB says:

Yay…Battle Buses (Sunderer) present and accounted for. I loved driving one of those things fully crewed, spewing multiple death in all directions :) Just hope it’s the upgraded version/s and not the original one.

Still don’t like the new stocky Vanguards over their sleak, flat profile forebears…but who cares, as long as I get to blow Vanu up again. }:)