Red 5 Talk Firefall’s World-Building Process

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

I love this sort of stuff: Red 5 Studios talking about the world-building process within Firefall. You get to see a bunch of the tools in action as they create the game environments, and the team talk about some subtle details of how the game has been put together, like the living processes in the game, cut & pasting entire cities, and the PvP maps being incorporated into the open world. Worth a watch.

The video also teases that the beta will be expanded “soon”, so I’m looking forward to getting in on that.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. ran93r says:

I have only had the chance to get in on one session a couple of weeks ago, hopefully will find some time again this weekend to have another look.
    I’m very impressed with where they are at, having now played both this and Tribes, I know where I will be spending my time.

hint… it’s not Tribes.

• Cytrom says:

Despite both being shooters with jetpacks, Firefall and tribes are very different. This looks more like an mmorpg, that is also a shooter, while Tribes is a classic short burst competitive shooter at a much faster pace. I dont think people really have to make a choice (or that they are even aimed at the same audience). Tribes needs some more content though, but its coming.

• ran93r says:

I played a ton of Tribes back in the day but this new pretender to the throne feels a little flat, I agree that the two can happily coexist and I suspect Tribes will still attract the players that sorely miss the old game but I don’t feel it has anything to offer me any more. I really did not enjoy playing the beta.

The mmo’iness of Firefall isn’t a bad thing. It feels a lot like an evolution of Borderlands (if only in style), if Gearbox ever wanted to see how to tinker with competitive multiplayer rather than just having lacklustre PvP duels, they don’t need to look too far.

At the moment there isn’t much of an MMO feel to Firefall but it will be heading down that route with more PvE content in addition to the solid PvP but it does feel like a class based/teamplay shooter first and an MMO second.

• Suits says:

This does combat/shooting not nearly as good as Tribes, mostly due to it being an MMO with shooter mechanics instead of a full-on FPS. If you want to compare it, do it to Global Agenda. Good luck getting competitive matches in Firefall though .I wouldn’t want to go slow but enjoy.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Seems to me Firefall is for PvE, Tribes is for PvP.

• porps says:

agreed, i got the chance to play tribes… i know its still just a beta but i found it hugely dissapointing when it should really be exactly my type of game (seeing as though i consider quake 3 to be the best game ever)

• dangerousforays says:

Having played both T:A and FF at PAX, I can easily say that Firefall will win most of my free time. It’s definitely not as fast-paced, since there’s no skiing, but it was tons of fun and, in my opinion, is going to have a very successful PvP scene.

Definitely excited for the FPS open world, though. GA just didn’t cut it, but the demo Firefall had going was excellent.

• aethereal says:

As someone who plays Tribes:Ascend and has played Firefall at PAX east, I enjoyed the PvP in Firefall significantly more. Tribes: Ascend has its great moments, and is certainly fun, I feel like it gets old rather quickly, and the faster pace doesn’t do that much to me. Comparing Firefall to GA also isn’t quite right (in terms of the games’ feel), its more like…. TF2. With jetpacks and PvE and abilities.

2. jezcentral says:

That top screenshot makes me sad that Starcraft: Ghost never came out.

3. MichaelPalin says:

Looks nice, I guess, but the game is going to be just about shooting, isn’t it? I always see it as a waste of time to create such detailed and open worlds just to shoot around. Anyone who played the first Halo knows what I’m talking about.

4. Dol says:

@ ran93r
    You do know that Scott Youngblood is the Lead Designer for Red 5 right?

• ran93r says:

I do and it’s why in my head I’m happy to compare the two titles even though they may be apples and oranges.

5. wodin says:

Love the look. Multi player spells no buy. Makes me sad when I see something I really like and know it’s multiplayer only.

Is this subscription or free to play or what?

• Kyrius says:

Free to play, as a matter of fact. This, GW2 and Secret World are sharing my MMO attention right now \o/ So much MMO love!

• Nethlem says:

This is completly free, no purchase required to play, no subscription required to keep playing.
      Instead they give you in-game items to purchase for real money, they also claim that these real-currency items won’t affect in-game balance i.e. people won’t be able to “pwn everything” just because they got a fat purse.

So far i trust them on that, but have to wait till the game is out to see how much of that really applies.

• wodin says:

I can live with that no problem. It’s subscriptions I’d never bother with.

6. Blackcompany says:

Eager to play this. There are no shortage of “hardcore” PVP shooters out there. Be nice to see more games focus on PVE/Co-op. The more variety in gaming the better, right?

7. porps says:

I am so excited for this game :)

8. killmachine says:

i was so hyped for this game after i saw the totalbiscuit footage from it at gamescom 2011. they stated they release the game at the end of 2011. didn’t happen. :(

sadly i’m not that hyped anymore. maybe because i am in beta?!

actually now planetside 2 has my attention. but… bare in mind, firefall, planetside 2 and tribes: ascend are totally different games. so, yea, i guess firefall will be for the pve folks, planetside 2 for pvp and tribes for the hardcore fans.