Start A New Life: Under The Ocean

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Already excited.
Hopefully you remember the awesome little lo-fi survival platformer, Under The Garden. We wrote about it here, and both myself and Quinns had a fun time playing it. So anyway, it seems that beautiful gem of a game is getting a rather more high-fidelity remake, this time called Under The Ocean. Developer Paul “The Farmer Gnome” Greasley has dropped us a line to show off his early work on the game in a video, which you can see below. They’re only a few weeks into the project and I am ready hugely excited about what they can accomplish with it. If they can capture the gentle, clever exploration feel of Under The Garden in the same way here, they’ll definitely be on to something. Go take a look.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Oozo says:

Might be an obvious question, but reading Quinns’ text on the original, I can’t help thinking that it was a sort of proto-Terraria (or proto-Minecraft, if you like)…

Which is not to belittle the achievement of it or say that it is something bad. But is there a chance that it will seem like the game got one-upped by those games that came out later? Or, asked differently: Is the impression misleading? Is it a different beast altogether? (Just wondering, because if it’s too similar, I fear that it might be a harder sell – which, by the look of it, would be a pity.)

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s got a whiff of Terraria to it, but it’s very much its own game. It’s very simple, too.

• Oozo says:

Yeah, upon closer inspection, Terraria seems to be lot more focussed on building and more game-y, so the survival aspect might really make this for a thing of its own. Intriguing.

(And, as I said: I hope it’s gonna be possible to communicate the different approaches clearly. Would be a shame if people stayed clear from it just because they thought it was a clone.)

• Farkeman says:

Since when survival games are clones of minecraft / teraria ?

• Oozo says:

Oh, I didn’t say that it was a clone. It’s just that those days, people are fond of accusing games of being “clones” of other games. And the first game superficially really looked a lot like Terraria (which came out later, I know, so it would be achronological in the best of cases, but tell that to the people).

But I have to admit that the new version looks indeed differently, so maybe I’m just being an idiot. It has happened before, you know.

• Aeroren says:

Under the garden (first post on tigs june 2010) was actually started before Terraria (development started jan 2011), so I’m guessing it’s the other way around :)

EDIT: sorry didn’t read the first post correctly

2. eks says:

Is this going to be a commercial project? If so, he can take all my money, I don’t care how much it costs.
    I absolutely loved “Under the Garden”, ever since that indie competition I have found myself just randomly thinking about the game.

I’m so excited.

e: Apparently I was so excited from the video I forgot to check out the official site where you can pre-order it.

• Hoaxfish says:

Yea, Under the Garden certainly sits in my mind as just really good… striking a nice balance between simple mechanics and atmosphere. Shotgunning a bear on the top of a mountain is just a bonus.

3. Harkkum says:

Lovely. Just lovely.

4. Kinth says:

I actually happened across these videos by accident the other day while scouring the depths of youtube.

The whole tone of the video nearly put me to sleep and i odn’t mean that in a “oh my god this so is boring” way.

The slow methodical pace of the video and the music paint a picture of the perfect “lazy” game. A game you can just play to comepletely relax instead of full on BANG BOOM BLOOD! in your face for 4 hours.
    Got nothing against action packed games it’s just nice to change the pace now and again.

5. LTK says:

I’m a bit irked by the fact that the coconuts fall peeled from the trees. They’re not grown as the brown spheres you buy in the supermarket, you know.

6. dnch says:

it looks great (the survival stuff mainly sounds very interestiing) but i dont like the drag and drop core mechanic

7. lukka5 says:

wow really nice so far.!

8. JackShandy says:

Beautiful. I also love that the guy links to the pirate bay on his site. “Not much we can do to stop you, is there?”

9. Jackablade says:

Dagnabbit this always. I start writing a design document, get a good start on it and then some other developer pops up and goes “Hey, we made that game that you were thinking about developing”.

The astute person may point out that Under the Garden has existed for some time to which I would say “shush”.

Nevertheless, Under the ocean is looking rather lovely and I’m looking forward to trying it out. And then stealing my ideas back.

• Harlander says:

It’s worse when said other developer makes something better than your work-in-progress, too.

Happened to me with Rogue Survivor. Ho hum.

10. Phantoon says:

Under the garden, we’ll be having some fun!