Blizzard vs Diablo III’s Player vs Player

By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2012 at 11:18 am.

I'd much rather they included an offline mode

It’s done when it’s done has long been the Blizzard maxim, but apparently no longer. Diablo III will be released before it’s entirely done, Blizzard having recently revealed that it will be launched without its Player vs Player mode. Uh-oh. Admitted lead designer Jay Wilson, “the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards… After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.”

“All of which is just about complete.” ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE.

ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE.

ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE.

Blizzard are being as coy as a kitten dressed as Shirley Temple about a D3 release date, but that’s a big fat humdinger of a clue that it’s surely very soon now. As for PvP, it hasn’t been axed entirely – there’ll be a post-release patch at some point. Knowing Blizzard it’ll probably take a while, of course. Still, the remarkable element of this is that even the apparently unassailable Blizzard appear to be bowing to market pressure to some degree, which is a stark change from their usual policy of doing whatever they want whenever they want and not until they’re 100% happy with it.

It’s semi-disappointing I suppose, but personally I was very unlikely to play PvP anyway. It’s all about the co-op for me. If this really is being done out of consideration for those who want that and the campaign and have already been waiting years, this is laudable. I just hope that is the reason, and that the heavy hands of Blizzard’s parent firm haven’t demanded it.

Wilson added a few details on how PvP will work when it’s finished and released in the year 2342. “It will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We’ll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team’s skulls.”

What if I just want to share a nice cup of mana with the other team? I demand a Player ♥ Player mode in Diablo III, and that the game is not released until it’s included.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Serge says:

“When its sold” (c) ActiBlizzion

• Phantoon says:

How many millions of dollars would it take to reform Blizzard North and get them making fun, polished video games again?

• who_me says:

Why do you think that any of the guys that used to be Blizz North would want to work for Activision? Are Activision less greedy and evil? Nope. It’s just that EA managed to make us forget they were not the only bastards around…

2. Crazy Hippo says:

“All of which is just about complete.” ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE.
    ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE”

which means “we are still at least 8 months from release”

• Kimau says:

Programmer: It’s 90% Complete
      Producer: Aaa so half way there

• Somerled says:

Publisher: Ship it!

• circadianwolf says:

I wish all producers were that smart.

• Crazy Hippo says:

QA: you’re about 10% done!

• S Jay says:

Marketing: what is our next game?

• Crazy Hippo says:

i think you mean – Marketting: time for some blackjack and hookers, and keep the blackjack!

• Syra says:

PR – It’s complete. That’s just how good Blizzard are. Our incomplete products are completer that your complete face. This game will give you orgasms, no wait, multiple orgasms! Quick; pay the games journalists to quote that…

3. MuscleHorse says:

ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE

Ahem.

I have absolutely no interest in PvP so this is good news. My experience of such modes in this genre is a very rigid build system, where if you want to just have fun and experiment with equipment and skills you get laughed off the server.

• smeaa mario says:

my thoughts exactly. and it is good news that I won’t have to stand up with those die-hard pvp idiots who keep pestering you to get a match like ‘cmon, it is not like you die or something. just one match, promise I won’t kill you’. well, at least for a while.

4. Commander Gun says:

Anyone has an idea wether Torchlight II will be out soon (read: before Diablo 3). I think it matters a lot for their number of sales, don’t you agree?

• sneetch says:

Not in my case, I’m gonna get both but I’m actually looking forward to Torchlight 2 more.

• killmachine says:

me2, except i’m unsure if i buy diablo3. it’s just way overpriced imho. i can almost buy 3 copies of torchlight 2 for 1 diablo 3. on the other hand i could earn my money back from the auction house.

• nearly says:

Somehow, I don’t think they’re going to make it easy enough for that to happen

• CareerKnight says:

Yea they’re going to hinder people making money when they get a cut of it…..wait what?

• povu says:

It probably would have an effect. I hope it comes out soon.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

It won’t matter, at least for me, since Torchlight 2 is the only one of the two that I’ll actually be buying.

• who_me says:

Actually this is not the case for me. I’ll be buying TL2 and skipping D3. No LAN fun put me down. I couldn’t care less about B.net.

5. Flowette says:

I’ll be 361 years old when the PvP mode is released. Thankfully I don’t think I’m their target market.

• nubbuka says:

Pre-purchase it now and it will be shipped to your grand-grand children at no extra cost (Tracking your grand-grand children will be extra though).

Bluerps says:

Huh. Will that sentence continue to get bigger, if I continue to refresh this page?

Anyway – I don’t care about PvP at all, so I don’t really care about D3 being released without it. I agree, however, that the fact that Blizard might be pressured by its corporate overlords is mildly worrying. That could lead to a whole lot of stuff that nobody wants…

7. KikiJiki says:

IN BEFORE PAID FOR DLC

• sneetch says:

You mean the percentage they get for weapons and armour from the real money auction house? Or some other paid for DLC? :)

8. Lobotomist says:

Leaked date is 17 April

• Zanchito says:

So not happening!

• jjujubird says:

bad troll is bad

shafte says:

To be fair, italian amazon did put up a 4/17 release date. While game stores putting in random release dates is not an uncommon occurrence, when someone asked Jay Wilson about it, he deliberately dodge the question (“can neither confirm nor deny”)

9. Seafort says:

I think they should lower the price of the game then if content is going to be missing. £35-45 just for the normal version is ridiculous. I’m still on the fence about Diablo 3 and at that price I will be over the fence and running towards Torchlight 2 at this rate.

This is why I prefer to support indie devs. At least they appreciate their customers with low price and some great. innovative gameplay. There’s none of this milking of cow that we see from blizzard and bioware to name a couple.

• GeoGonzo says:

That’s ridiculous. If anything, why don’t you simply pretend that the game was delayed and only buy it after the PvP patch? You may get it cheaper too.

• Snack says:

Activision lowering prices? That’s news.

• Seafort says:

You actually think Blizzard will just patch the PvP part in for free and not sell it as DLC?

Its taken them this long to tell us PvP won’t be in the game for launch. What other things have they removed from their game that we don’t know about yet? Oh maybe they should remove the real money auction house that’ll be a good start :)

I’d rather play Path of Exile at this point.

• ScubaMonster says:

You actually think they’ll charge for it? Blizzard has never charged for DLC. Ponies and pets in WoW doesn’t count because that’s trivial fluff not related to the actual game. They have given no indication they are charging for this, and from the article it seems pretty obvious they are just patching it in with no fee.

Look, I know all the cool kids love to hate Blizzard and Activision for being the gaming equivalent of the anti-christ, but that’s pure speculation and ridiculous speculation at that. Blizzard has absolutely zero track record of charging for content.

• KikiJiki says:

What’s the difference between an expansion and DLC?

(This is a trick question.)

• molten_tofu says:

@KikiJikki

This is an expansion: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
            This is DLC: Total War: SHOGUN 2 Blood Pack

This is an expansion: Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm
            This is DLC: Mass Effect 2 ‘Firepower’ Weapons Pack

I think of DLC as generally some devs tinkering, maybe writing a minor story arc. I think of an expansion as a concerted effort to produce a significant addition.

It doesn’t have much to do with price – sometimes DLC costs more than expansions, sometimes it’s all free.

shafte says:

Blizzard has stated that PvP will be a free patch.

• Nevard says:

Indie devs can price their games cheaper because they spend less money making them, it cuts both ways

• fish99 says:

Zavvi have it for £29.95.

ffordesoon says:

“This milking of cow” is my new favorite expression.

10. MidoriChaos says:

From the makers of ‘WHEN IT’S DONE’, we give you ‘ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE’.

11. Jerakal says:

As a player who never PvPed in Diablo 2 and couldn’t care less about it if I tried, this news makes me a bit happy.

Not to spite you PvP fans, but when a company stalls the launch of the part of the game I want to play for a feature I don’t really care for, it grinds my gears.

12. Crazy Horse says:

That’s a bold move. A PC game without any online content is just begging to lose sales to piracy.

13. Suits says:

Hurray for not even believing in their own priciples and standards.

• Gozuu says:

Take any Blizzard title and you will find that “We won’t release it until we believe it’s finished” to be a lie. Their decision to release Diablo III without PvP to avoid delay due to an aspect of the game which has never been the most popular, is wise and very pleasing news to me and seemingly a lot of other Diablo fans.

• DK says:

What standards? Have you somehow missed all the WoW expansions that contain about 30% of the content they claim it has, half of which is then delivered over the following year?

AmateurScience says:

ALL OF WHICH ARE AMERICAN DREAMS!

• Anarki says:

Glad i’m not the only one who got that song stuck in his head after reading this!

• brulleks says:

Yup. I felt the Rage in there as well, except I couldn’t remember the exact lyric so just got stuck with the usual FU,IWDWYTM.

• SanguineAngel says:

Correct post

• marvelza says:

^^ this

(glad i actually read all the comments before posting)

15. Walsh says:

PvP Diablo always sounded like the most boring thing ever; let’s spam our hotkeys, perhaps in a specific order, until someone is dead.

• Duckee says:

This. Who cares about PVP. This is about monsters and loot!

• Gnomocide says:

“let’s spam our hotkeys, perhaps in a specific order, until someone is dead.”

You just described every video game, ever.

16. pixelprime says:

The forums on the website are hilarious to read. There’s so much complaining there over this, that and the other, I suspect people often forget that, as a company, they’re within their rights to do whatever they want, whether having a positive or negative impact on their customer. I don’t believe their intentions are ever to piss people off – but as they say, you can’t please everybody all of the time.

I suspect that all the people saying, “forget it, I’m never buying this game, screw Blizzard”, will still go out and buy it anyway. Sometimes, a high horse is not something easily dismounted.

I, for one, am just pleased that the game will be in my hands at some point in the near future. And for that, i’m rather excited. Sure, it may not have PvP for launch – perhaps not something I’m interested in anyway – but it will still have the full single player campaign, Inferno mode, and the fantastic Co-op mode for me to enjoy during a rather long weekend’s LAN session!

• Bantros says:

Hope you have internet access at that LAN!

• Svant says:

and not just internet connectiong it better be a bloody fast internet connection because not only is it online drm the game is actually hosted on their servers so shitty connection = laggy solo game. I.e. no playing on a 3g connection or a slow dsl with a bunch of friends.

17. Bluebreaker says:

It just means they will sell it as DLC.

18. pkt-zer0 says:

This isn’t unlike them not waiting until 2015 to release SC2 just because the SP campaign for all three races isn’t done.

• jjujubird says:

Touche man. SC2 being released as 3 games is beyond absurd, not to mention extremely pretentious.

• sephiroth says:

Also a bit daft. As I chose not to buy SC2 cause of this 3 games business.

I got an 8 hour pass from someone who did buy it and that was nice but I’m still waiting for all of it to be out before I buy it and at this rate it wont be finished until a few epocs after the end of the human race.

Another dev that likes to tell me they don’t want my money
        oh well.

• Thants says:

The Starcraft 2 they released has more then enough content to count as a full game and I don’t think you know what the word pretentious means.

19. Dana says:

Come play Torchlight 2 with me.

• Gnoupi says:

They’d better hurry and release it, by the way. Because if D3 is releasing before or at same time, I doubt there will be a lot of people choosing it over D3.

I loved Torchlight 1, and I’m quite neutral about D3, but it’s clear that if Torchlight 2 doesn’t hurry soon to release, it probably should release only 6 months or a year after D3. Or they’ll get close to nothing.

• enobayram says:

I’m not so sure about that, playing a certain genre makes you want to play more of it.

20. Vjaas says:

Full-on PvP in WoW wasn’t in place at the very beginning (Battlegrounds were added later if I remember correctly). So this doesn’t really seem like a case of Blizzard dropping their theory of “IDWID”. It has always been a marketing ploy…

• alinos says:

This isn’t the firstfeature to be cut from D3 admittedly it’s the first they have said will come back

But they cut things down in cataclysm that actually made the expansion look interesting but ended up being cut/severly scaled back most likely in order to make release

21. RakeShark says:

Seeing the comments about “Paid DLC” got me to think: It’s possible that this is fine when the mechanics of the game allow you actually make money to pay for it? In a sense, it’s along the lines of Eve’s PLEX system, and with the RNG nature of loot there isn’t a barrier for casual or low hour players to make money.

22. MadTinkerer says:

Wait, did Diablo 2 also have PvP? I was barely aware it had co-op back in the day…

Well except for the fact that my poor Necromancer kept getting nerfed in single-player for no reason every time I got a new patch. I eventually just reverted to 1.0 where you get to summon an extra Skelly for every point in Summon Skelly. Because that just makes sense, dang it. Who needs runes anyway?

• KikiJiki says:

Post 1.10 made necromancers ridiculously strong again in PvE when synergies were implemented in.

I had a necro at about level 84 or so, just did hell Baalruns for loot and only feared pre nerf Oblivion Knights and wisps.

23. LifeSuport says:

Making a great game with a 5-10 man team in ≈ 3-4 years, ART. Making a great good game with 150 man team that takes 6+ years, well that is business.

I started playing Diablo 1 & 2 again.

24. f1x says:

Its fun how gaming companys are lately in a no-win situation
    if they delay to finish it = its bad
    if they publish it without something = its bad

at least its not freaking DLC

• SanguineAngel says:

Yes, because there is no 3rd way such as finishing a product on time and releasing when they say they will with a complete product.

Although in fairness, it seems like it is increasingly impossible for a dev to release a game fully completed at all, let alone on time. By which I mean content & feature complete (in line with what they have stated to the public) & bug tested

• dysphemism says:

What does it mean to release a product “on time” when the company never announced a release date?

I’m with f1x here. We’ve all heard the “crunch time” developer horror stories. I can guarantee that most anyone working on computer games right now is working flat out. So either people need to show a little patience for the polished diamond they’re expecting, or they can lower their standards vis a vis bug testing and features; you can blame the developer if you want, I guess, but my suspicion is you can’t ask that stone to bleed any more.
        A fairer request might be for their marketing depts to not make promises that they can’t keep; but then, that’s the perennial issue across all industries, not just gaming. Marketing’s job is to make promises; developers get to follow through on those promises or fall on the sword when they can’t.

• alinos says:

Or the third solution don’t announce anything until your truly ready.

There was no real need to tell us anything before they even had their beta testing

That way you avoid the whole 2 years where there isn’t even a remote chance of the product coming out.

It’s the primary reason GW2 was starting to be considered vaporware since they had to announce it virtually at the point of conception to justify the future state of GW1.

It might be nice to go andshow of all your fancy stuff 2 years before release is even plausible but there is no benefit from it unless your crowdsourcing funds in some way. If you want to play the hype train game do it when you can be certain your product will be launched in at least a specific quarter.

Maybe all this is the shareholders fault they need to appease them that they are going to make them more money in the future.

25. Lemming says:

“ALL OF WHICH IS JUST ABOUT COMPLETE.”

I read that section of the article as Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello at the end of “Bombtrack”.

ALL OF WHICH ARE AMERICAN DREAMS!

• rps_snr says:

Rage Against the Machine – Know Your Enemy; Vocalist – Zack de la Rocha; Guitarist – Tom Morello

• Lemming says:

Sorry, it has been a zillion years since I listened to them.

• walk_star says:

I admit I came here to say this.

26. Rudel says:

The beta has poor graphics (no zooming, fixed cam), the most boring story in years (pls rescue generic character A from monster group X), bad point & click controls and is easier than Farmville. Believe me, the PvP modus is the least you should be concerned about.

• Nevard says:

I guess that’s why there are several more difficult difficulty settings above the only one available in the beta

• Rudel says:

.. after you had to complete the whole game in kindergarden mode ^^

• Nevard says:

Well if it’s that easy I suppose that won’t take you too long ;)

• caddyB says:

Come on the exact same can be said for Diablo 2 and it’s still fun to play.

27. Calabi says:

So why isnt it released now?

• Nevard says:

“Just about” = “Almost”
      “Almost” != “Totally”

28. Kessaja says:

As someone who had 2200-2400 rating across all brackets in arena during my peak in wow (flavor of the month, lame/cheesy setups) I think arena in Diablo3 is a horrible idea.

The problem with wow arena from my point of view was that you get to a point where you can always tell who the worst member of the team is and if you want to proceed then you have to somehow remove that player from your team or find a new team. Now some of you might think that’s ok, but the bottom line is that these people are often your friends.

And thus you are given the choice to ditch your friends and “do better” or stick with your friends and probably not enjoy that either as you will constantly see them do a mistakes that eventually affects your mood.

At the end of the day that was what the arena experience was like for me. It turned into a sub game of finding out who was the weakest link and see if they could adapt. Normally they could not and then you had a problem. I dont want to have that in any game that I play ever again as its a horrible system that tends to turn the focus more on the negative things than the good things in gaming.

And I know, no one is forcing me to play arena in Diablo3, but at the same time I feel they are putting to much effort into a making a system that clearly did not work on many levels in wow.

Blizzard really seem to stack up on the bad calls after the infamous merger :(.

• Zanchito says:

Isn’t that a metaphor for current society? To which the current solution seems to be “ditch your friends and cry all the way to the bank with your pockets full of money”.

• Kessaja says:

Well put sir and sadly I have to agree.

I could see myself playing Diablo3 for years and years, but every time I think about the game I get a bad feeling about it due to the money AH and the arena system.

Oh I know, I don’t have to use either obviously, but I just have a hard time supporting a company that makes such greedy calls. It’s not that they want to make money off the game that bothers me as obviously they deserve to if they make a good product, but its all the freaking effort they seem to put into ideas that are solely based on making more money.

I just miss the days when blizzard was 100% into making good products and did not pull all this crap all the time. Those days are gone tho and me disliking it will not change one thing about it :).

(Im still buying Diablo 3, but it will be the last game I buy from Blizzard.)

• Nevard says:

Wait, am I missing something?
          I see how RMAH is an attempt to make money but what does adding an arena mode have to do with that?
          There were PvP options in past Diablo games too and you can see from the uproar on the forums that it was a much-desired feature, they aren’t tacking it on just to make cash (as you can tell by the fact that they aren’t releasing it yet, they clearly don’t think they have time to get it into a good enough standard before they want to release the game)

• Harvey says:

you know, i used to feel this way too, but after listening to the commentary by Extra Credits and letting it simmer a bit, i started to agree with Blizzard’s plan. It’s not just a money-grab. It’s legitimizing the already established economy of selling in-game items for real world currency, Why shouldn’t Blizz take a cut, and why shouldn’t you give it a chance? Perhaps you will make enough money to pay back your purchase of the game? Only time will tell. I’m kind of excited to see how it will all play out.

• nearly says:

But then where is all this money coming or going? I assume that people are going to spend more than they could ever make, and that it’s never in a thousand years going to be possible to make enough money to pay for the game unless you’re spending much more to do so.

• Harvey says:

well,there will always be those who would rather pay to be the best rather than grind for their loot. Judging from my time in WoW’s auction house it shouldnt be too hard to get a drop in-game that folks would be willing to pay good money to get. how much money will it be? how will the money get in your pocket? will it go into a in-game cash drawer that you could either cash in for game gold of your own or deposit to a paypal account? I admit i dont know these things either, but if it doesnt become overwhelmingly in favor of gold farmers it could really add to my enjoyment of the game. there is a subsection of WoWers where the AH IS the game, having real cash at stake could make it all that more appealing. We’ll just have to see, but i want to trust that Blizz will make it fair for everyone.

• jjujubird says:

I think this is something that GW2 may address. It’s hard to tell to what degree yet, of course. With a lot of PvP being on such a large scale (especially the WvWvW shyte) and not everything being about fighting it means that even the less-skilled players can still make meaningful contributions and not bring down the team as much as they would if it was small-scale arena PvP.

p.s. – I was a 2000-2200 player back when I played WoW arena. A bit of a tricky bracket to be in. I got dragged down if I played with any of my “bad” friends but I would be the one bringing the team down if I tried to play with any of the truly great players. So I sorta know what you mean.

29. Bhazor says:

OK so a team has been working on a game for four or five years only just now discover that core mechanics are broken? That’s a… wierd sign.

Oh well. I won’t be able to play it anyway.

30. cavalier says:

I’m perfectly fine with this. I really don’t understand the uproar I’ve been seeing about it. They could just delay the whole damn thing until they finish pvp or they can release everything but pvp and not make us wait however long it takes to finish pvp to their liking.

• Kessaja says:

Yeah, I don’t really think people know what they are asking for here. Look at the other big blizzard game and see how well PvP turned out there. But then again the majority of Blizzards fans are morons. (And that is me putting effort into sugarcoating it)

• Bantros says:

Maybe it’s because games like WoW and Diablo are not PvP friendly games to begin with, the former certainly isn’t. Unless built around the basis of PvP it’s never going to be right.

• Jutranjo says:

PvP is a bit meh matchup but ZvT and ZvP is pretty great atm. And it is all 50% winrate +-4% so it’s fine :P

31. daokaioshin says:

Announcing our next game:

Diablo III:x1
    Heart of the Wallet: PvP

32. Shooop says:

And which requires DRM more restrictive than Ubisoft’s.

33. Luciphear says:

Player ♥ Player? Some 3D Sex Villa with Multiplayer?

All in all, I’m fine with this. What I’m not fine with is that the damned game is going to drain me of my money, since I vowed (you heard me) to pre-order the CE when a date has been announced.

• deke913 says:

sounds like a EAware title…you are forced at one point to make a choice between Leah and Azmodan as your love interest. And while Leah is a good cook …using Azmodan lowers your utility cost in the winter.

34. subactuality says:

The only Diablo III multiplayer I’d be interested in would be a cooperative PvE mode. I’m not sure if that’s even a Thing, and if it is I’ll be happy, but apart from that I’m pretty content with the idea of my singleplayer “heavy-handed drama, monsters, and a slot machine lever” game coming out sooner than I’d expected.

35. nootron says:

Did Diablo 1 or 2 ship with PvP? How is a PvE game “not complete” by not shipping with a pvp mode? Honestly confused here, so please don’t flame me.

36. Cruyelo says:

No, they’re not releasing it as “paid DLC”. So hopefully people can stop making this comment. They’ve been very clear it was a free patch and when players asked more about it, they said they wouldn’t charge full price of the game + more for PvP. It’s either full price + free or lower price + dlc, not both. PvP was a promised feature of the game and is being added free, they were very direct about it.

The comment section on Blizzard games is almost always a contest on “Who can imagine the worst things about Blizzard”.

• KikiJiki says:

Blizzard say a lot of things. Nearly all of them end up happening anyway (PvE -> PvP WoW realm transfers is the golden oldie here).

I’m betting 3 months post release, 6 at most it’ll be along as a £10-15 DLC.

37. TheWhippetLord says:

Taking a decade to rush a game is a very Blizzard thing to do. :)

38. deadly.by.design says:

I’d buy a single-player only version for less, but Blizzard is more likely to sell the game for full price and promise the PvP later.

39. ThaneSolus says:

5 years ago i was hyped about this game, now i really, really dont care about it, or blizzard.

They can all go to hell along with Activision, EA and Ubisoft, oh lets not forget SONY Online and Microsoft.

40. Dances to Podcasts says:

Someone should bookmark this thread with all the names of the people saying it’ll be paid so we can have a good laugh at them later. :)

41. KaMy says:

Well i can understand why they are not happy with the PVP. Their choice of removing the fast swap for weapons and the fast switch of active skills (they can’t be binded like before to be switched and they have a cooldown of +/- 20 seconds) is utterly stupid and does limit the interest of spells a lot. Especailly when you are bound to use 4 specific skills with 1 to 4 and left/right clic. So you end up with 6 skills unswapable in combat situation. Way to go to ruin the possibilities in both PVE/PVP and the global level in PVP.

That casual friendly forced approach really pisses me off. Why couldn’t they make a moron arena mod for those not able of swaping between set A and set B via ONE button and and casual PVP mode with the limitations on active skills while letting people that actually want to enjoy the game play with the whole range of skills… :sad/madface:

42. popedoo says:

All of which are American dreams