First Dishonored Footage: Shows Very Little, Still Exciting

By Craig Pearson on March 12th, 2012 at 4:37 pm.

Just like me after a nap
I was this close to falling asleep there, but then Dishonored footage landed and my heart-rate spiked. Just a couple of minutes of non-action footage interspersed with Harvey Smith and Raphael Colantino talking about their amazing sounding immersive sim. It’s kind of not saying anything new: you’re a supernatural assassin, a sandbox game that enables the player to explore how they want to play with the magnificent tools, the possession, teleporting, stopping time. But this is the first I’ve heard about the eavesdropping component, where you listen for clues and the game changes your goals. It’s starting to look and sound like a combo of the best bits of BioShock and Hitman. Watch, watch now you fools!

As a companion piece, here’s Alec’s interview with the chaps involved about the insanity of what they’re making.

As is the way of these things, there’s no call yet on when it’s out. I’d hope this is the start of the pre-release hype, and Bethesda don’t really have a lot going on this year, so all signs point to 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. woodsey says:

It’s very refreshing to hear a developer say, “we’re going to do this, and we fully expect most players to completely miss it.”

I am looking forward to this more than anything.

• Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

Yeah, reminds me of Dark Souls. There are whole huge, fully detailed levels (sections? regions?) that are totally hidden away with literally no hints as to how to get to them, like Ash Lake or the Painted World. But if you by chance discover them it’s immensely satisfying.

• TheGameSquid says:

Discovering the Ash Lake (and, to a lesser extent, the Painted World) all by myself was an incredible moment for me. Exploring the Ash Lake was one of the most emotional experiences I’ve had in video games in the last years, because I couldn’t recall a game ever feeling so RIGHT at that moment (and there was the incredible sad beauty of that area to boot of course)

• hosndosn says:

They generally seem to have a healthy attitude towards these sort of things. I like how he describes one of the playtesters completely cheating his ass around an obstacle and they actually left that possibility in instead of getting rid of it to “polish” their precious planned game mechanics.

I am so looking forward to this game. Most interesting FPS-but-not-quite since Deus Ex that caught my attention. Well, maybe Vampire Bloodlines and Stalker, but Dishonored actually seems to do a few more interesting new things to the genre. The “possession” gameplay sounds awesome, for example.

• Miltrivd says:

I loved that sentence also. When something is well done, you don’t notice it because it fits the situation/atmosphere so well it just blends to make the final product happen, I like that.

Also, I’m noticing (expecting) that the world is delivered to you already alive, without explanations, I think is the best way to get immersed and enjoy a fantasy world to the max.

2. SelfEsteemFund says:

Wow I haven’t been this excited about a game in years.

3. faelnor says:

As long as it comes out with everything they say plus a few wacky bugs, this is going to be a classic.

4. gwathdring says:

I’m quite excited for this. A little bemused as to why almost every female shown was mostly naked, but that doesn’t dampen my excitement about the mechanics of the game.

• gamingisdead says:

“A little bemused as to why almost every female shown was mostly naked”

It’s a brothel, genius…

• sneetch says:

I imagine it’s because it’s a brothel.

• IshtarGate says:

The presence of a brothel may have relevance to this matter.

• caddyB says:

Might have something to do with the general area being a brothel.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

It’s probably due to the fact that the level is a brothel.

• westyfield says:

It’s because of the sexism and objectification of females inherent to the videogames industry, and I think it’s disgusting.

Psych, it’s because it’s a brothel.

• AndrewC says:

Well done everyone, now ask the question of why they chose a brothel.

• caddyB says:

You can’t use fireballs here because there are innocent prostitutes around.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Because a brothel ties in with their general theme of class and order on the outside, but uncleanliness and disease beneath the surface, and is a carefully considered addition rather than a choice made by horny teenagers as you seem to be implying? Maybe.

• Khemm says:

How do you people know it’s a brothel?! A-ha, you’ve been to such places, you perverts, haven’t you? Haven’t you?! Have you no shame?

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Look, the thing is

it’s a brothel.

• tomeoftom says:

It’s free real estate. A brothel.

• gwathdring says:

Congratulations, you one-up’d me! It’s a brothel and I’m a hipster-feminist who thinks of nothing except gender in video games.

I just didn’t notice much in the way of female characters outside of the shots from what, yes, was obviously a brothel. That said, I didn’t see much in the way of crowds either which also disappointed me. I’m sure there will be plenty of both in the final game. Call off the attack dogs, for crying out loud, it’s early in the morning in some places. “A little bemused” is quite different from “sure this is the utmost of sexist villainy.”

• Berzee says:

I was wondering the same thing, gwath, except instead of “a little bemused”, I was “highly disappointed” — because this game sounds cool, but I hope the brothel (I think that’s what it is) and similar family-unfriendly elements are either avoidable or moddable, else I will have to give it a miss — which would be sad.

• Jason Moyer says:

The brothel isn’t family friendly, but the entire core concept of assassinating people is ok?

• Berzee says:

Yeah =) I like to insist that my games are family-friendly, violence excepted (I also like the violence not to be yucky, so that I can perpetrate brutal attacks without flinching). I could explain it further but unless you are Quite Interested, I will leave it at: “I like it that way becoz I like it that way.”

• Oof says:

You’re clearly not the target demographic. Sorry for you.

• godwin says:

I am Quite Interested, actually.

• Berzee says:

@Oof — yet I may be the target demographic for Thrilling Supernatural Assassinations With Customizable Angles Of Approach!

@godwin — In an attempt to be concise (edit: lol, failed) I will just say one of the main and most recent reasons: It appears that the health of my marriage is inversely related to the amount of time I spend thinking about ladies in their underwear…and such preoccupations do not come *so* unnaturally to me, so when I can help it I avoid drawn/rendered versions too in an attempt to maintain my desired habits of thought.

Assassinating people probably wouldn’t help my marriage either, I grant you that. But the gap between assassinating people in a game and assassinating people in real life is (apparently) large enough that the former has never nudged me toward the latter…which cannot be said for the gap between thinking about non-photorealistic portrayals of ladies in their underwear versus photorealistic portrayals.

tl:dr — If I bought games with lots of immodesty in them my wife would punch me, and I believe I would deserve it. If I buy games where I assassinate people, she just winces and looks away (which she also does while backstabbing people herself in Skyrim, ha).

• Harlander says:

“family-friendly, violence excepted”

I see this attitude a lot.

I don’t really get it.

EDIT: not getting punched by your wife seems like a fairly good reason to adopt modes of behaviour, other factors notwithstanding

• Oof says:

Oh dear. Does your wife know those are just polygons?

• Berzee says:

No? I married her because of her tenuous grasp on reality?

Alternatively: Yes, and she knows that if I looked at real live people it would just be reflected light and rods and cones and all that kind of Eye Science. But I am a weird person, and so an artist’s rendition of a lady in underwear affects me differently than an artist’s rendition of an old man sobbing by a gravestone or an artist’s rendition of a space marine with bad teeth eating taffy — even if the medium is polygons. ;) YMMV.

• Nallen says:

Hah, you’re so screwed. I mean reading that is hilarious and sad, your marriage will end because of a hot coffee mod or The Witcher 3 or accidentally opening a magazine on a bra advert. Get a grip man.

• Berzee says:

but nalleen iamso confused — i never said those things? i feel you have exaggerated for poetic effect

Edit: I also feel my tl:dr about being punched may have confused matters slightly; I do want to avoid punches both literal and metaphorical, but my main motivation isn’t The Threat of Repercussions…by the aforementioned “health of my marriage” I meant the general overall health, not some kind of euphemism for not-being-divorced =). In other words, a second tl;dr may be in order which says “in addition to the punches bit, I also think it is a nice thing to do”.

• Berzee says:

Actually, forget the second tl;dr — the “I believe I would deserve it” in the first one serves well enough for that purpose. =)

• Snozzle says:

@Berzee – I also share a similar attitude so appreciate where you’re coming from.
            for me, my wife is enough for me, and I don’t need other women (real or otherwise) competing for her attention :)

• Contrafibularity says:

I think all your troll detection devices are faulty because Berzee is quite obviously a troll, grinning over the fact everyone bought his crap story (that’s how it works, it gets slightly more fantastically fishy and ‘authentic’ with every iteration, for example the gf playing Skyrim yet objecting to games with scantily clad characters, lol). Trolls are basically so sad at the state of affairs in the world they’ve resigned to creating pleasure for themselves by fooling others, it’s that simple, really, it’s like getting schadenfreude from the gullible.

• Berzee says:

:-P
          Now that the construction kit is out, though, before the next time I play I will be able to make a modesty mod so that I can comfortably strip the dead of their clothing while leaving them their clothing after all.

(I was going to correct “gf” to “wife” for you, but I s’poz she can be both at once, so I accept this!)

• sebmojo says:

Can one actually get a bowl of thick hearty soup in a brothel? Because it would be disappointing and a bit confusing if not.

• bill says:

I’m a little bemused why all games seem to feature brothels. I have never encountered a single brothel in real life*, but there’s one in almost every FPS (that isn’t CoD).

*not counting Japan, because they have one on every corner. But this doesn’t look like japan.

5. Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

I’m not sure what it is about this game, but every new piece of media or info I find about it paints it as my dream-game.

• SonofSeth says:

Mine too, as in my dream game has become anything that is trying new stuff, new settings, new mechanics. Can’t wait, my fingers, my body, my body, I’m ready!

6. diebroken says:

Looks more like City of Lost Children and Half-Life 2 to me rather than the BioShock and Hitman games, and that’s a good thing (nothing against Hitman)…

• delialli says:

That’s a good assessment of how it looks visually. From the developer’s descriptions though, it does sound like Hitman (mission-based, targets to assassinate, various ways to do the deed)…hopefully it’ll be more System Shock/Deus Ex than Bioshock, which was a bit too “streamlined” if you ask me, which nobody did.

• Runs With Foxes says:

There’s a lot more Thief here than Bioshock.

• Contrafibularity says:

There’s a lot of immersive sim here, yeah, plus (first person) sneaking, verticality, overhearing and witnessing events which change the goals, choice-based gameplay, choosing your own approach (and apparently also motivations and more) and so on. It’s basically the most promising PC game of its ilk since Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Subtitle: Subtitle, in my opinion..

7. Stevostin says:

The visuals start too look really, really exciting.

8. Doesn'tmeananything says:

Sounds very much like Deus Ex. Hopefully it will be good enough to let me forget about abhorrent DX sequels.

• skinlo says:

What abhorrent DX sequels?

It looks a bit like Half Life 2 in place, probably the setting.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

“What abhorrent DX sequels?”

I envy your outlook on Deus Ex series!

• Zelius says:

You’re saying Human Revolution was abhorrent? You have very high standards.

• povu says:

Or the fact that the lead art director is the same guy who did the art design for Half Life 2. ;)

Edit: No wait, not wrong reply. Don’t delete me!

• HisMastersVoice says:

Well, Invisible War was pretty pants…

• Unaco says:

I think he means Invisible War, and maybe Project Snowblind.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Nope, HR happens to fit my description very nicely.

• godwin says:

What a shame.

Also, that’s a prequel.

• Berzee says:

Hi. I’m Bud Puckett.

• Thants says:

There’s no way that HR was abhorrent, outside of the bossfights.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Compared to the original, HR was a clueless failure.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Right, I somewhat misapplied the word ‘sequel’, since games are foremost about gameplay, and continuation in series of games might be considered a sequel, but, yeah, it’s more of a narrative thing.

HR was shit and here’s why:

Eidos Montreal absolutely did not understand the concept of DX, along with the principle of causation. They tried to recreate the freedom that DX allowed, but they failed to see that that was done through organic simulation. So instead they put in rigid pathways, thinking that because the player can either sneak or fight, that’s a DX game well sorted.

Sneaking was made from, again, an organic way to avoid an enemy by means of cover, staying far enough or hiding in shadows to a simple puzzle game, where there’s an obvious sneaky path and all you have to do is time your snapping from cover to cover, in a cinematic third person view of course.

Levels are just liner successions of small spaces, and what you did in one segment doesn’t matter in the other.

On top of already bad game design the developers have done a lot to make the game even worse. Dumb plot with dumb endings (and don’t forget how you choose them) and numerous plotholes. So much unnecessary cutscenes, vis-à-vis both narrative and augmentations. Augmentation are themselves boring and mostly used once in a level to cut short one of the paths or lead to a room with items. Offensively stupid boss fights. Etc. I can go on and on.

But the basic idea of immersive simulation, where player agency, emergence and player-driven narrative are key features, was twisted in such a horrendous way that it renders all other things irrelevant. It’s only fitting that this game is followed by new Syndicates, X-Coms and Jagged Alliances.

• KenTWOu says:

@Doesn’tmeananything
            You can’t ghost through Deus Ex without invisibility. But you can do it in DEHR. DEHR stealth standards are higher.

• Runs With Foxes says:

What an absurd thing to say. Aren’t you embarrassed?

• KenTWOu says:

@Runs With Foxes
            My english is weak, but I’ll try to explain. Deus Ex stealth standards are really low. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Deus Ex very much, but it has few infuriating features, which break this game as a decent stealth game. The first is awful sound propagation. You can walk and knock out enemy on this particular spot without punishment, but if you drop an item from your inventory here, enemy AI can hear you! Secondly, if dead body has any new item in his pockets and you have no room for this item in your inventory you can’t pick up that body. Together these two features ruin everything for a stealth player! The third, DEHR enemy AI has some kind of tactile abilities, AI feels you if you touch him. So you should keep safe distance between you and him constantly while ghosting behind his back. Deus Ex AI doesn’t have it, you can literally lean against him, and AI doesn’t notice that. The fourth, Area 51 definitely has few places where you can’t avoid enemies without invisibility if you want to ghost through. DEHR main plot doesn’t have such places. So it’s not absurd, DEHR is a better stealth game than Deus Ex.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Those are all minor points compared to the fundamental design of the stealth game, as Doesn’tmeananything has explained.

The sound propagation point is fair enough, but it’s still consistent enough to make consequences predictable. But in any case I would argue HR is far worse in this regard. You can beat people to a pulp and stab them with giant swords mere metres from their buddies, but you aren’t heard doing so.

• JackShandy says:

RunsWithFoxes: Killing people with your arm blades does make sound, and will attract enemies. Knocking them out is totally silent though, yes. I don’t think that small amount of unrealism makes HR worse as a stealth game. It seems a bit like saying JC’s ability to take multiple bullet wounds makes Deus Ex worse as an action game.

• KenTWOu says:

@Runs With Foxes
            When we talk about stealth, those are all major points. Especially two of them, which affect the most important part of stealth – dealing with dead/knock out bodies. Every time when you knock out somebody you should think about his inventory and emptiness of yours. And if you try to drop off excess items earlier you should deal with its unpredictable sound propagation. These features add unnecessary inventory management to the game and ruin stealth experience.

Also DEHR enemies definitely will hear lethal takedowns, so you can’t stab enemies with swords mere meters from them. But they can’t hear non-lethal takedowns. Yeah, those are controversial game mechanics cause takedowns pause the game. But it doesn’t affect stealth and make it absolutely predictable.

• Contrafibularity says:

@KenTWOu; I’m sorry, but you’re full of crap. First off, you can ghost through DX without the invisibility aug (story points excluded obviously as in HR). Secondly, you absolutely can not bump into enemies without them noticing, because as I type this I’ve loaded a savegame in Battery Park and been killed for bumping into an enemy crouched.

And all of this is missing the point: we’re not talking about stealth games here, if you want that you only need to buy the entire Thief series and/or download The Dark Mod and be content for the rest of your life, we’re talking about a particular design philosophy of certain games, something DXHR largely ignored but did manage to cash in on massively, even getting critical acclaim from otherwise critical people, presumably because they either hadn’t played DX or because some gamers are so starved for this type of game development philosophy they’ll grasp at virtually anything given that there hasn’t been an example of it since the awfully titled Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. BioShock only partly counts despite being a good game, it experimented in different areas.

It’s like you’re trying to prove DX’s inferiority (but why?) by wrongfully citing technical deficiencies or AI changes, whereas anyone who’s played both games will know HR added nothing, missed the point, and only just barely fulfilled the role of related sequel (prequel) by borrowing from the general theme, and getting augmentations and general gameplay and level design horribly wrong, taking itself much, much too seriously to the point of intellectual masturbation and just being generally a really B-game on a AAA budget. (and really who cares about conspiracies, they were just a silly and cheeky but usefully “espionagy” backdrop for the organotremaceoussilly super deliciousiourmous gamey gameplayiousness that was DX’s forte; the story served the gameplay, as it were)

In a sense, Syndicate is a more honest game, because no one at EA pretended they actually gave a shit about the IP other than an FPS remake fitting perfectly in their business model.

• lcd says:

This game does look exceptionally promising and I must admit my hopes for it are rising but let’s keep in mind that Harvey Smith was responsible for a lot of the poorer design choices that made Invisible War what it was. Still, even Warren Spector made an Epic Mickey or two.

Excellent summary of Human Revolution below, by the way.

9. jellydonut says:

Yes good. This will be an awesome game. No matter what you happen to enjoy. Future Half-Life scale of achievement, right here.

So glad someone’s still making real games..

10. Khemm says:

That sounds like a grand return to the design that made Thief or Hitman so good.

11. Synesthesia says:

this looks awesome! The cello line and the steampunk theme makes me think theyre hopping a bit too much on the bioshock train, but what the hell. At least their jumping on a good train.

On a side note, somebody forgot to check their render settings when outputting those panning shots of the game scenarios!

12. Bobsy says:

Max Payne called. He wants his earnest cello music back.

Also his wife and kids.

• AlwaysRight says:

Distilled gaming comedy gold!

If I had a cap, i would be doffing the crap out of it.

13. Sami H says:

Take my money etc. Am looking forward to doing multiple multiple play-throughs if the range of styles and abilities is as vast as they’re making out. The thing I love about these open sand-box games are setting my own goals and restrictions in the world and sticking to them.

Although I know my first play-through will be completely stealthed up (how I always play these games first), I am hoping that the combat is interesting too. I’m so desperately hoping for a successor to Dark Messiah (spiritual or otherwise), and this may well be the game for that.

• Gonefornow says:

Yes, I played through Dark Messiah at least five times (that’s more than my DX playthroughs although not as many as for TNM) and I never even played as a full on wizard.
      The sweet back(/neck)stab animation made me play as a thief/assassin most of the time.

I too hope these guys can top DM, after all it did have a horrible rigid story structure and unlikable characters.

• Saldek says:

Damn, stop making me reinstall old games!
        Ooh, download at 50% …

14. tomeoftom says:

Yumbles.

15. Voon says:

And here I thought they’ve released a full gameplay preview…

Loving the settings, though.

16. kikito says:

Come on.

If someone did something cool in the game, I want to see it in the video.

I don’t want to see two guys talking about the cool thing if I’m not going to see the cool thing.

• jplayer01 says:

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one who believes a preview like this shouldn’t just be a couple of developers talking about their game. I just want them to *show* it to me with some good music. The way it is now … not interested.

17. Zanchito says:

Oh, boy! Looking Glass Studios, ye spirit is with us!

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

I know, right? By the end of the video I was imagining Warren Spector standing behind Smith and Calantino, his hands crossed, smiling and nodding approvingly.

18. Hanban says:

Love the art direction. Really looking forward to it!

19. Navagon says:

This is one of this ‘just take my damn money’ games.

20. Fierce says:

While this sounds great and I’ll probably purchase and enjoy it upon release, I’m a touch concerned with the lack of model diversity in the video.

I’m not talking about different enemies or depictions of the Evil Baron Characters you’re supposed to be assassinating, I’m thinking more along the lines of racial diversity and wardrobe textures. As the setting is steampunk, and the city fictional, there’s really no reason to not have some degree of multiculturalism in the game; and no, I don’t mean architectural or artistic theme culture as I understand that would turn their artistry upside down.

Hopefully this is just very early Alpha footage and they’re not designing it in some sort of xeno-adverse vacuum. That would be disappointing for a game that could very well be a sleeper hit or an out-of-nowhere pillar of good game design and thematic storytelling.

21. Davie says:

This is starting to take on the look of China Mieville’s Mind: The Game, and I really can’t think of a single reason that wouldn’t be awesome. Those whaling ships are spooky as hell.

• BenLeng says:

Yes! I’m still waiting for my New Crobuzon Sandbox Game. Game Industry: Bow to my unreasonable demands!

22. Unaco says:

If it wasn’t 630pm on a Monday evening, and if I hadn’t been teaching XSL this afternoon, I’d probably be rhapsodising about this. As it is, I’m very excited about this game. Very excited.

23. Paul says:

This sounds and looks so fantastic I am at a loss for words. Seriously my most anticipated game.

24. CaLe says:

Listening to them talk takes me back to when I would listen to my high school friends (who had powerful enough PCs) talk about playing Hitman. I wasn’t big into gaming then but just listening to them got me extremely excited about being able to try it for myself some day. I haven’t had that feeling in, 11 years? Can’t wait to play this.

25. Berzee says:

It sounds rather good! I have always been a huge fan of glitches or unexpected exploits being turned into exciting new opportunities (rather than being crushed mercilessly out of a frantic desire for control).

At first I was imagining this game in a much more ambitious scope though…but it sounds like they are staying focused pretty much entirely on the sneaking-and-killing elements for their Emergent Whatevers. Which is pretty alright; I would rather have that than minigames and conversations, if those things had to be tacked on halfheartedly.

26. asshibbitty says:

I’m starting to really dislike the look of this game. Comical character proportions, overdramatic lighting, JRPG architecture, waxy-looking surfaces everywhere. Are they all wearing leather pants, what am I supposed to think about a world where everyone wears leather pants? Weird combination of dinginess and nuclear bloom. I expected HL2 levels of crispness and maturity, instead it looks cheap like Bioshock or a bad HDR photo.

• Oof says:

Gods, you’re miserable. You do realise that they’re only starting to polish up on the graphics now? Graphics are the last thing to be finalised.

• asshibbitty says:

No they aren’t. Stuff like what happened with Borderlands is an exception, and even then it was just a shader and a bunch of squiggles on the same textures. By the time the first shots go out the overall look of a game is usually set in stone. They can turn the bloom down of course.

• Oof says:

“By the time the first shots go out the overall look of a game is usually set in stone.”

Which is why I referred to “graphics” and not “aesthetics”. It’s cartoony because
          1. it takes more resources to make it more realistic; as its first title published under Bethesda (who, let’s face it, have had near-misses because of the rushing and/or mismarketing of their third-party products, and have been buying up studios left, right and centre, so they likely won’t be throwing money around), Arkane will not have received a lot of money
          2. it has to work well on consoles, which necessitates low polygonage

The bloom and textures can both be fixed for PC, though. And then there are also GPU settings, which can significantly alter the look of a game.

Cheer up, sourpuss.

• owenj says:

Pretty sure the JRPG architecture of which you speak was directly inspired by London / is by the guy who did HL2 architectural design.

So… there’s that.

• ffordesoon says:

Yes, because any architecture that looks remotely “out there” is definitely from a JRPG, and not just from the mind of one of the few artists in the Western game industry who doesn’t want to fellate Michael Whelan. How dare they make anything that doesn’t look photorealistic. Let’s all start an online petition.

I concur with Oof. You sound like a silly person.

Oh, and many JRPGs have interesting architecture. In a lot of them, that’s all that’s interesting. fF XIII was a cornucopia of interesting architecture. Shame the game never actually let you visit it. And also that the game exists.

27. Jason Moyer says:

This sounds pretty close to my ultimate game; each mission features an open level with a starting point and a goal and no clear instructions on how to get from point A to point B. I’ll probably play it the same way I play every game like this given the option (i.e. sneak in, kill, sneak out) but if the simulated systems are good I’ll probably end up retrying each level multiple times with different approaches.

What I’d absolutely love is for the game to be really successful (of course, that’s hit or miss and not really dependent on the game’s quality) so that maybe the immersive sim will make a comeback.

28. pakoito says:

I am the only one that doesn’t seem to like it. Hello!

29. The Sombrero Kid says:

WANT!

30. Shooop says:

It sounds very promising. But the lack of any unscripted footage is preventing me from getting really excited. First-person melee is not an easy thing to pull off, just look at Skyrim’s sigh-inducing combat.

And some say it’s set for a Q2 release this year.

• Oof says:

I’m willing to bet it’s not getting a Q2 release. Q4, more likely.

31. Tokamak says:

Sounds promising, but most games do at some degree during the pre-release stage. I wish that it does turn out more or less the way it sounds, but I’ve had my gaming heart broken too many times to follow pre-release hype anymore – especially when it promises so much.

32. owenj says:

So excited for this. Like, impossible to live up to my expectations hyped.

Heres hoping.

33. deanimate says:

This could possibly be better than Bioshock Infinite

34. orange says:

This is my perfect game! Been waiting for a game like this for forever. Exciting stuff :)

35. Dreforian says:

The Chaos aspect piques my interest. I’m hoping it means that there are tangible repercussions to how one approaches the missions while not tying up the triggers in flimsy dialogue options. I was thrilled when playing the Missing Link DLC for DXHR ~~minor spoiler alert~~ when the enemy commander started goading me over the base intercom with his critique of my non-lethal approach to ass-kicking.

TLDR consequences in games are more engaging when they arise organically from the player’s actions.

Also, games need to have more color. Bioshock Infinite notwithstanding is it too much to ask to have settings that aren’t urban-industrial-late autumn affairs?

36. s0lidb0b says:

Gee… who killed these guys puppies…

37. yobobjm says:

I was already thinking this seemed like a decent idea, this video just confirmed my thoughts.

38. Pelikanol says:

Can’t wait to take on Nick Cave and his Fu Manchu in this game.

…oh wait, it’s not supposed to be him?

39. ffordesoon says:

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodohplease

40. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Can’t wait. With Deus Ex: HR, Thief 4 and Dishonored, it’s like someone decided to make my favourite types of games again. Take my money Arkane.

41. Secundus says:

bioshock and hitman? bit of an odd choice of comparison, especially in a blog like this.

42. JackShandy says:

Those designers look like they haven’t had a good nights sleep for months.

43. Pelikanol says:

Some previously unseen (AFAIK) footage/shots there, starting at 4:35 + interview with lead designers about Dunwall and the levels :