Like Guns In Your Game? CS: GO Has A Mode For That

By Craig Pearson on March 12th, 2012 at 11:48 am.

Most definitely a game involving guns.
Gun Game, which my brain has decided now needs to be sung along to the Duck Tales theme tune, is crouch-walking into the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive beta. On Friday, Valve added the first Arsenal: Demolition map de_lake, a game mode that reverses the ever-increasing returns of the original GG. When you start the match, you’re given a rifle: if you get a kill with it that round, the next round you’ll receive a weaker weapon. After five rounds CTs and Terrorists swap over. It includes the traditional Terrorist/Counter Terrorists defusal dance, and for every additional kill you’ll receive more equipment in the next round. It’s like someone’s accidentally tumble-dried Counter-Strike and it’s come out all dizzy and tried to explain its own mechanics. I can’t wait for Talk Game, where you attempt to negotiate demands: I did just attempt to negotiate a doughnut drop for me and my fellow Ts, but the response was rather anatomical and descriptive. While I call my mother to make sure he didn’t follow through, here’s a video showing it all in action.

CS: GO is a game with guns, so they’ve added gun game to the gun game. It’s like Xzibit wrote Inception. CS: GO is still in beta, but they’re continually adding players. If you already have it, quick-match will take you right to the lake.

The traditional variation of Gun Game, where you scale up your weaponry for kills, will be arriving at a later date. They’ve renamed it ‘Arsenal: Arms Race’, game mode renaming fact fans.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RaytraceRat says:

I remember playing reverse gun game (the better you are, the crappier gun you got) ages ago, it was fun.

• westyfield says:

Reverse Gun Game is the best. Normal Gun Game is like Call of Duty – “oh, you’re pretty good at headshots? Well here’s a gun that makes getting headshots easier!”

• Gnoupi says:

Yeah, exactly. CS is already built around the idea that “you did good on first round, now have a second round with actual guns when the other team will still shoot at you with glocks”.

And honestly, I’m tired of this kind of games. I want to spawn and have the same chances as others. If I fail, it’s a punishment already, no need to have the opponent stronger so that he destroys me even more.

• zergrush says:

It’s not really a big problem, you can just save money and turtle for a round and come back with bigger weapons. You might even manage to pick a dude or two off and steal their guns, saving even more money.

Eco rounds can be pretty fun (:

• rockman29 says:

I think it was better in Day of Defeat. At some point you got different odd weapons like rocket launchers and MG42′s which were all counterable, even though they were more powerful. I didn’t like Gun Game in CS, but I always enjoy it in Day of Defeat, because it feels like you can get kills at whichever point you are in the game versus other players.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, N’thing the idea of handicapping the winning team. If they continue to win despite their equipment weakening, then they really earned that victory. Otherwise, it’ll be a much smaller margin of success.

• masifhy says:

They felt dated when CS:S source came out, especially when if you trawled through the Condition Zero files, you could find them entirely redone but not used. http://ej.uz/4555

• Droopy The Dog says:

There’s no report button anymore, so I feel the urge to say out loud that these “copy-paste another comment with a link on the end” spams are just the worst.

There’s just enough context to not dismiss them immediately, so I spend a moment to read them through then I see the link at the end and facepalm.

This is @masifhy, if the comment gets removed.

2. fionny says:

Mad to get into the Beta for this.. they aint releasing keys fast enough :(

3. samsharp99 says:

It was all about the reverse gun-game with the knife/nade kills at the end. I also liked the mario mod that played the mario theme if you got 3 kills in a round (?) – made you run around super fast. I *also* liked being able to steal levels.

This news makes me happy, hope you can reverse the gun order though :P

• kalelovil says:

This article is about reverse gun-game being in:
      “On Friday, Valve added the first Arsenal: Demolition map de_lake, a game mode that reverses the ever-increasing returns of the original GG. When you start the match, you’re given a rifle: if you get a kill with it that round, the next round you’ll receive a weaker weapon.”

4. Gozuu says:

So Craig, can you tell us non-beta people how the feel is? Is it like Counter-Strike, CS:S or Condition Zero? Or have they taken a different route and the game no longer feels “CS’ish” ? It’s really everything to me. Even though it is a new game, it must have the same gun feel & movement feel of it’s predecessors.

5. sneetch says:

The thing I keep thinking from looking at all these screenshots is “what a beautiful day for shooting people in the face!”

Also, is it such a bad thing that the terrorists are going to blow up an empty room in an empty house?

6. bear912 says:

Apparently CS:GO might get a post-launch zombie mode. I’m rather disappointed that I’m not in the beta yet, since I’d love to see the new shadow system in action first-hand even if I don’t play CS very often…

Also, I am a game-mode-renaming-fact-fan, now that you mention it. Do you have more?

• torchedEARTH says:

But wait, there is already Left4Dead. Oh yes, not everybody in the world bought Left4Dead. Phew!

I can’t see BF3 getting a look in once I’ve downloaded this.

7. Gap Gen says:

I’d love a version of CS where you hunker behind police cars with a megaphone, shouting stock phrases in order to negotiate an end to a hostage standoff.

8. MadTinkerer says:

Every day now, I’ve been playing Gun Game! Woo woo!

(Not really, but now it’s stuck in my head.)

• djbriandamage says:

I’m only posting to call Craig a motherducker for getting that bloody song in my head!!!

• Askeladd says:

Believe me when I say this: If somebody would make a short and HQ intro of this, some servers will play it on every map start, given that it’s still mod-able.

9. LuNatic says:

An official mod for an official mod? Madness I say, Madness!

10. nubbuka says:

I think the first thing I’ll do when I get into CS:GO will be to change the skin’s texture.
    1.5 skin texture FTW :D

11. Guiscard says:

How are they still using the same voice for radio commands? They felt dated when CS:S source came out, especially when if you trawled through the Condition Zero files, you could find them entirely redone but not used.

12. DrScuttles says:

I’ve never been that much into Counter Strike, but thanks to the cotton wool high of having just mainlined 1:03 of nostalgia by way of Duck Tales, I’m up for anything.

13. godwin says:

That new lighting/shading does look pretty good; I have a feeling CS:GO is, for a part, also meant to update the Source engine for modders and whatnot.

• bear912 says:

I’m a bit disappointed that they don’t seem to be using Portal 2′s glass shattering. Portal 2 had the best glass I’ve seen in any game, I think…

14. buzzmong says:

Never liked Gun Game, but Surf maps were fun in CS, I wonder if they’ll work in this.

• zeroskill says:

Nah, this will be up to the community. But you can be sure it won’t take long until the first surf maps will be available.

15. Njordsk says:

if anyone has a key and doesn’t feel like using it… My steam ID is ranspi_ ;-)

16. sOuLsK says:

If by any chance any of you has an extra key, I’d love it if you could gift it to me.
    My steam username is “sOuLsK”

17. fallingmagpie says:

“It’s like Xzibit wrote Inception.”

Ace!

18. starclaws says:

Exactly what Valve is doing. They ask opinions of pro players for CS:GO then completely ignore everything and go out and create Gun Game mode. Looks like CS1.6 will continue to be in tournaments even after 3 games are created by valve to phase it out.

19. Dreforian says:

“and have the ability to recover from multiple bullet wounds by standing behind a fence for ten seconds” from the Dys4ia article got me thinking on this reverse gun game: make freestanding walls and fences into consumable health regen. Have them shrink or retract or somesuch as they are used for health, then by the end of the match there’s no cover and the players have the irresistible urge to play Serious Sam.

20. Messiah Complex says:

the game is pretty
    but the gameplay feels ancient
    no noobs will come here

Non-haiku version: It’s a nice demo of Source’s current graphical capabilities, but that’s about all CS:GO will amount to. The CS community is rabidly averse to anything that would attract new players, and yet Valve’s/HPE’s total capitulation to their demands would not make it likely that CS “pros” will bother with it.

Comment on this story