Paradox Will Trade Cities In Motion For Your Thoughts

By Craig Pearson on March 12th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

All these pixels and more for free!
If the barter system existed across the board for games this wouldn’t be worth mentioning, but until the day we’re released from the bonds of the current economic system, in about two weeks, it’s still an unusual move: Paradox Interactive is giving away a copy of the really rather decent Cities in Motion on Gamer’s Gate to the people who take the 20 or so minutes it takes to answer this survey.

Sure, it’s a couple of years old and the giveaway doesn’t include the vast amount of DLC that’s been released. It’ll take a while to be delivered: the survey ends on March 31st and the keys will be sent a few years weeks after, but it’s a good, free game. Now let’s take a look at how it all began.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SF Legend says:

A few years after? Well, better fill this out quickly then.

• Alevice says:

There ain’t no time to waste!

And for clarification, the survey states: “The survey deadline is March 31st and codes will be sent out to all participants a few weeks after that.”

Craig Pearson says:

That doesn’t read as amusingly now as it did when I typed it.

• Parable says:

It has changed now, it now says that..

“Thank you for completing this survey! In order to receive the reward, please input a valid email address in the box below. Within a couple of days, an email will be sent to the given address granting access to the game. “

2. tgoat says:

“5. What is your current living arrangement?
    * Alone
    * Cohabitation (e.g., with family, spouse or friends)
    * Other”

I’m trying to figure out what living arrangement falls under “other”.

3. TheWhippetLord says:

While I like the idea of people giving me games for lying to them, whoever told Paradox that ‘Priceworthy’ is a word needs hunting down at once.

• Skabooga says:

Hey now, Paradox’s choice of words is not violenceworthy.

• NathanH says:

It is quite a good word that is instantly understandable. I vote that every Wot I Think ends with a Priceworthy Value. Soon, everyone will be saying it.

• luckystriker says:

Indeed. Priceworthy is a word that should exist in the English language. I shall therefore make it my mission to introduce priceworthiness to the general public.

• Fumarole says:

I find these comments replyworthy.

• lordcooper says:

This whole thread is facepalmworthy

• NathanH says:

Your mum is facepalmworthy.

Hodge says:

If I ever write a detective novel set in a Victorian mansion then Priceworthy’s going to be the name of the long-suffering butler.

• identifierad says:

The survey was written by Swedish students in cooperation with a Swedish developer. Swedes are usually rather good at English but often figure that the relatively similar nature of the languages mean that you can translate directly. Priceworthy directly translates to “prisvärd” which is a perfectly cromulent Swedish word.

• Arglebargle says:

Cromulent! You can make up a new one every day! I am Embiggered!

P7uen says:

Now ‘priceworthy’ and ‘cromulent’ are giving me far too much perrycombobulation.

• Khab says:

I think they’ve had someone swedish design that survey – “prisvärt” in swedish is a very real word and apparently some online dictionaries think that “priceworthy” is how it should be translated. It sounds really weird, though.

4. Guest_84592 says:

Well, great. There is no free text field, so I can tell them that making the retail copy of CiM steam-forced was a retarded idea, considering the gamersgate version is not, which is the only the reason why I’m taking this stupid survey.

• markgreyam says:

They did that with Cities in Motion as well? I wanted a disc copy of CK2, assuming that it would simply install the Gamersgate files (but I’d get a swanky case and manual for my shelf) and quickly discovered that it inexplicably required Steam, which completely defeated the purpose.

5. Mist says:

Filled it in honestly, but it would have been nice if the survey properly reacted to previous answers (or then again, maybe that’s a feature used to weed out the “just randomly click stuff”-users). When I already said that I haven’t bought any Paradox games, some of the game-specific questions are just weird.

Or maybe the survey was originally only aimed at Paradox customers.. oh well.

• Fumarole says:

It worked for me when I indicated that I owned several Paradox games as subsequent questions referred to those games and their various expansions/DLC.

• Danny252 says:

For me, two of the “big” three (separate questions at the start) games I own but the third I didn’t, and none of the others in its little list counted (it had CK but not CK2, annoyingly…). – so it just stuck with the big 3.

• diamondmx says:

It seemed like the first half of the survey paid attention to your answers – as soon as I answered that I had magicka, it asked me more questions about magicka. However, the second half of the survey assumed everyone had an opinion about Magicka, King Arthur, and Europa. So lots of N/As there.

6. hills says:

Cities in Motion is decent.

The only negatives I can remember were not being able to zoom in super close (emphasis on super), a some what stiff camera, and not being able to lock the entire screen in on a particular vehicle, chase cam style. I mean, it’s a transport simulator, I kind of want to idle and watch after I’ve put down my track, and not just in a tiny corner window.

• Ginger Yellow says:

Other negatives include a basically broken traffic model which measn buses cause way more congestion than they relieve, and an economy in which the only really viable mode of transport is the ostensible endgame, the metro. You’re far better off taking a huge loan at the start, building a short-ish metro, and then waiting 10 years, than you are building up from humble beginnings.

Hodge says:

Every time a question gave me the option of ‘I do not know’ I heard it in Jeff Bridges’ voice.

The survey was worth it for that alone.

• Havok9120 says:

I know exactly what you’re talking about, and now the same thing is happening to me now that you’ve mentioned it.

I already had Matt Damon telling me that whatever I am doing he “fears is rash.”

8. Berzee says:

This is a bargain!

9. Danny252 says:

The first question about money gave options for USD/EUR/GBP, so I actually had some clue. But then it starts asking about DLC in dollars – I don’t know how much a 3 quid DLC is for pond-hoppers. Do they use the exchange rate as of today or 3 years ago? Do they do “same number in ALL the currencies!”? Oh well, I generally ignore DLC unless it comes in a 50p sales bundle.

For Magicka, I was torn about what to put for graphics – yes, it’s pretty, but the word “optimised” was apparently not in the devteam’s dictionary. Do I rate that as a “yeah cool awesome!” or a “nice try, but I was running in 800×600 at 15fps, so I didn’t really get much out of it”?

10. sinister agent says:

These questions leave rather a lot to be desired. I can either say I never play Paradox games, or play them 25% of the time. Well, it depends, doesn’t it? I might go for months without touching them, but then play them every day for a week.

Also the “what is the most important part of a game” bit is a bit simplistics. THE GRAPHICS IS GOOD AND IT HAS GOOD GAMEPLAY AND I LIKE THE FUN GAMEPLAY AND SOUND THE GAMEPLAY IS GOOD.

(I am very interested in the mouths of gift horses, yes)

11. EdenCrow says:

Shame the deal isn’t on Steam. Would be much happier to do it then :/

EDIT: Still did it and that is NO WAY NEAR 20 minutes of time.

12. thugnificent says:

I assume the key would work on retail copy downloaded off Gamersgate? Or will it be activated on steam and downloaded there?

Anyways whatever the case , i filled it out honestly and paradox being one of my favorite developers i’d have filled it out without even the motive of a free game :)

13. RogB says:

wouldnt normally do this, and not massively arsed about CiM, but i cant help but like Paradox so thought it worthwhile (if only to voice my disapproval of overdoing the microtransactions.)

14. HardcoreGamer12 says:

Thank you guys for the heads up!

15. hosndosn says:

Well, that’s a fair price.

16. mmalove says:

Filled this out a week ago, now finding out I have to wait until a few weeks after the survey close to get the free game :P Oh well, free is free.

I could kick myself though. I answered most of the survey as honestly as I could, but looking back the miser in me lowballed my annual spend on computer games. I think the old subconscious responded much the same way as you do when someone asks if you want a pay raise or free stuff, but in hindsight that’s probably the question that determines whether game companies pursue more PC titles vs console titles.

17. wodin says:

Never refuse a free game. Surevy done.

18. wodin says:

I made sure every answer to do with Multi player was a negative. Single player please.

• Apolloin says:

Yes, me too. The addition of multiplayer at seemingly random to a single-player game concept rarely makes it playworthy. *looks at Mass Effect 3*

yhancik says:

After answering this survey I feel bad for not owning more Paradox games :<

20. Sarissofoi says:

In the end it throw me at Pradox site when I notice THE MOST SOLD GAME:
    Swords of the Stars II Lords of Winter.
    Oh my. How many naive people live on this world.

• Vinraith says:

I’m glad it’s doing reasonably well. Kerberos has been working furiously to patch it up after that disastrous launch, and has done a remarkable job of picking up the pieces and making it into a pretty great game.

• malkav11 says:

They had a recent sale where it was $7.50. That can’t have hurt.

21. pertusaria says:

I own EU III, and I didn’t know it had a multiplayer mode. :/ There wasn’t an option for “I have no opinion” on that bit, either.

“Gameplay” is always the most important part of the game for me out of the options given, I’m nearly sure, but it’d be nice to have options reflecting different aspects of gameplay, like interface, controls, freedom within the gameworld etc.

Maybe we’re not worthy of better survey design…

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, nor an option for “um, well, I own all of these games because I am a massive consumer whore, but I haven’t actually played this one that you’re asking me about.”

• Mattressi says:

You’re saying we’re not surveyworthy?

22. phenom_x8 says:

Finishing the survey! I love something for free!! Nice! (only have Mount & Blades though)

23. trjp says:

I did the survey earlier on but no emails or anything like that appeared which is a slight disappointment tbh…

24. sneetch says:

Kinda disappointed that there were multiple references to multiplayer and none for co-op multiplayer. Co-op is important to me the (generally speaking) competitive multiplayer is less so.

25. Bhazor says:

Any mention of this game requires a link to this song. Its the law.

26. Crius says:

Someone received a key?

I’m still waiting :|

edit: update from Paradox Forum
    The survey ends on 31 March. So here we are, waiting…