Rossigames Revealed: Sir, You Are Being Hunted

By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

Hunted: The Robot's Forearm

Big Robot, the indie developer headed up by one Jim Rossignol of this here website, has just taken the lid off its fourth project. Fourth! How did that happen so quickly? You’ve already played Avseq, you’ll get to play Channel 4-funded education game Fallen City soon and you may have seen a few screenshots and test videos for the open-world game codenamed Project Lodestone. And now, there is Sir, You Are Being Hunted. It’s an open-world survival game starring gentrified English robots who hunt humans for sport, and was referred to on BR’s drawing board as ‘a British indie STALKER.’ We’re promised “robots that ape tea-drinking, poachers that lurk in reed-beds, and red-eyed hounds that patrol the moor”.

I would say that Sir, You Are Being Hunted looks absolutely lovely and has a fantastic concept, but if I did you’d have no idea whether I’m being objective or not.

Jim will be along later in the week to explain exactly what he’s up to with this development lark, but in the meantime you can get a better overview of the game and more screenshots in its first reveal post here. The sad-ish news is that Hunted will happen before Lodestone, which is on hold for the time being. However, Hunted lays some of the technical groundwork for Lodestone, so it should all be to the good.

Seeking more information on the project, I conducted an exclusive and extensive interview with project lead Jim Rossignol.

RPS: Where did you get the idea for robots from?

Rossignol: I think we’ve all looked at other people and thought “this would just be more interesting if they were emotionless metal automatons”, so that’s sort of my inspiration.

RPS: Thanks for your time. Now, stop moonlighting and go post some more game trailers.

, .

1. lordcooper says:

Great concept

Ridiculous Human says:

Once Jim started making games, this game seemed inevitable. I cannot wait.

• Phantoon says:

Yes, but it seems a shame the acronym for this venture is BR.

If you’ve ever played League of Legends, or another game that has the scourge of BR in it, then you’ll know what I’m talking about.

RedViv says:

So, RPS pretty much has its own game now.
    Congratulations.

Ah who am I kidding. Shut up and take whatever you want from my clutches.

4. Torgen says:

Want.

5. ShadowBlade says:

This does look and sound proper interesting! There’s not enough S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the world :)

• julianbenson says:

Yes, the world always needs more stalkers.

• Necroscope says:

I do believe, good sirs, that we will be experiencing more Stalker than we could possibly wave a stick at, near future.
      I wasn’t aware of Stalker online until earlier today…

• Unaco says:

That’s Stalker online… not S.T.A.L.K.E.R online. That is, it’s a ripoff of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R setting by some opportunists. Not affiliated with the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs.

• LifeSuport says:

Yes, please. Sign me up to download an exe file from Russia by some guys…. want my numbers too?

• LifeSuport says:

The style reminds me of Alone – in the hills – in the Dark.

I hope the robots stay nice and civilized and we learn the reason they are hunting humans is justified, like we’ve been raping their robot sheep…

6. Brun says:

You had me at open-world. Will watch with interest.

7. lordcooper says:

Oh yeah, this is totally a Minecraft ripoff.

8. Danorz says:

excellent opportunity to explore and satirize the demonization of the working class and robotic antihuman conservative policy too

AmateurScience says:

This immediately brought to mind the ‘How not to Be Seen’ sketch from Monty Python.

This is a good thing.

10. Vinraith says:

Sounds marvelous, the world doesn’t have nearly enough open world survival games.

11. thebigJ_A says:

Bias!!

12. Maldomel says:

Do want so much. The mere concept of being hunted by gentleman robots is an instant buy for me.

13. Blackcompany says:

Sign me up on the ‘take all my money’ bandwagon. This sounds fantastic.

bear912 says:

Conflict of interests! Biased reporting! He’s being paid off! Sounds quite excellent!

15. AbyssUK says:

Needs more robot dinosaurs…. wait… needs more robots riding dinosaurs! …with monocles

• asshibbitty says:

Indies are way more focused these days which is a good thing IMO.

16. Nallen says:

Can’t wait!

Bluerps says:

For a moment it felt like my computer was trying to tell me that I’m being hunted right now, by inserting that message into the text I’m reading. Very surreal.

The game sounds like a great idea – I hope we get more information soon!

18. Urthman says:

What’s the smallest team to make a 3D open world game that’s not completely procedurally generated (like Minecraft)? I was under the impression that games like that required a crazy huge amount of manpower. Or is that only for games trying to make photorealistic art assets?

Regardless, this looks awesome and the idea of a game with that description created to satisfy Jim’s standards is super-exciting. I’m even more excited about Lodestone and it actually makes me happy that Big Robot is going to have another open-world game under their belt before trying to finish it.

• asshibbitty says:

For Stalker at least the assets weren’t the bottleneck.

19. Lobotomist says:

Biased report.

Quite obviously.
    Who is interested in a game where robots hunt humans for sport in dystopian future ?
    I will tell you : Nobody

20. asshibbitty says:

Hella ambitious. Reminds me of that xbox game that also had a PC port. The one that had a name that sounded like that other game about WW2? Also had British robots with tea and lolrandom humor. The WW2 game was good though.

21. HexagonalBolts says:

Best of luck Jim! Looks awesome.

Durkonkell says:

Bias! How can I trust RPS any more, etc.

On a serious note, this looks lovely and I am quite interested. I love the concept!

23. Cooper says:

There’s something about the landscape that amazingly captures a kind of ‘nowhere britain’ feel.

Almost but not quite Yorkshire, almost but not quite highlands, (if you squint and make the gradients in the sky look like hills. Or maybe they are hills) with a flavour of the east coast in the fog…

Makes you look twice, expecting triffids somewhere…

24. Kollega says:

Hey, are those Cronk’s long-lost half-brothers up there?

25. Dana says:

Jim who ? Anywho, looks neat.

Hodge says:

I must confess that I bounced off AVSeq, but this looks absolutely amazing. More please!

27. Bollah says:

This looks really cool, but for a success there needs to be more tweed, breeks and man hose!

28. Jim Rossignol says:

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I hope we can meet expectations.

29. Davee says:

Heck yea! This sounds like my kind of game. :)

30. Farsearcher says:

Good luck Jim and others from Big Robot.
    I’m definetly interested, is there any sort of pre order scheme or will there be in future? I’d love to support this. Had me from the word “S.T.A.L.K.E.R.”

31. The Dark One says:

I hope the sequel takes place in the Robo-Hungarian Empire.

JB says:

You had me at “gentrified English robots”. Good luck, Big Robot posse!

Lambchops says:

Having mentioned a mechanised combined version of Tesla, Babbage, Brunel and (as someone qucikly hastened to add) Farady in the Sunday Papers I’m amazed to see a game that it could plausibly fit into. Although it would have to be a boss fight and we all know they are rubbish so maybe it’s best not to bother.

On the otherhand PUT IT IN THE GAME JIM!

34. Unaco says:

I am intrigued. Sounds like a very good concept/idea, and I wish you all the best in pulling it off Jom.

35. Tuco says:

“Open world survival” is a hype-inducing concept.

It reminds me Robinson’s Requiem, a very interesting old game (even if quite rough around the edge).

36. Shooop says:

This is a funny and interesting concept. Looking forward to it.

“I think we’ve all looked at other people and thought “this would just be more interesting if they were emotionless metal automatons.”

I’d be surprised if someone didn’t. And will Hedonism bot make a cameo?

37. iainl says:

Now I’m just getting annoyed there’s no Stalker Blu-ray, or even a reasonably priced DVD currently. Again. This seems to happen roughly monthly.

38. fenriz says:

wow rps guys are sort of good players so omg this has to be a grim fandango with robots.

aaah the sweet moments before a disappointment.

…….. hey! come play our Deer hunter! With humans!

there.

hark I the shrill twang of my hanger rope
    aye far film the shape of my sharded hope

39. Vandalbarg says:

That sounds absolutely incredible.

I hope you can play as the robot or the hunted in online mode.

40. absolofdoom says:

I don’t know if comparing it to STALKER is a good idea, unless this game will seriously be good enough to satisfy the kind of hype that expectation would bring. Which would be veeeeeery difficult to achieve. I haven’t played an open world game I loved more than SoC.

41. yobobjm says:

This is the exact kind of game I have wanted for some time.

42. Prime says:

How much graphics does it have?

MajorManiac says:

Blooming Marvellous

44. Sarkhan Lol says:

Get out of here, SYABH!

45. identiti_crisis says:

I really hope my excitement for this has nothing to do with the man-crush I’ve been secretly (even to myself until now) harbouring for Jim since his PC-Gamer days. Someone tell me this really sounds shit, and I’m a totally biased, pretentious hipster fool suckered in by the ironic japery of a premise. Please; then I don’t have to get excited.

Actually, does anyone remember the Carnivores games? They were fairly average hunting games (i.e. fairly terrible), except you hunted “dinosaurs”; the interesting “twist” being that if you weren’t careful, you would end up being hunted yourself. There was great tension, knowing an Allosaur-type-thing was between you and your trophy, having to keep track of both the hunter and the prey in order to succeed. All that effort and attention, and the thing that gets you is the raptor which has been following your scent the whole time… The moments where you’re frantically trying to shoooot herr as the thing woodenly bears down on you were practically pure terror. Fantastic. It’s even better when you don’t see them coming, and they just pounced on you, scaring the life out of you such that you jump ten feet in the air.
    Like the drawn-out 1-on-1 pixel-hunting sniper duels at 5 km in Delta Force, where you’d be hit before hearing the gun shot itself. The preceding tension and the blood-curdling scream of your character shattering the silence causes a similarly kinetic reaction…

I’ve often dreamed of a “Jurassic Park”-type game, where you’re properly vulnerable as the prey. This sounds just like an appropriate substitute, sirs.

EDIT: Impromptu essay, how embarrassing.