Wrecking Ball: DIRT Showdown Shows Off

By Jim Rossignol on March 14th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

The DIRT Showdown team have released some more bombastic footage of their glitzy off-road racing spin-off from the DIRT series. Showdown’s latest peek shows “Massive Damage Gameplay”, which, as you might imagine, shows off the destruction model. The explain: “DiRT Showdown’s Knock Out mode is revealed, featuring drivers using their cars as weapons to force opponents off a raised platform in a chaotic battle for domination. Eliminated vehicles can re-enter the fray by racing up ramps and jumping back onto the platform, where points are earned for knock-outs, hits and owning the ring alone.” It’s pretty, and silly, and pretty silly. The game is out in May.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. JonClaw says:

FlatOut in DiRT form? YES PLEASE.

2. David_VI says:

Does this mean we get a destruction derby type game again? :D Not just one event like in Grid? Woo!

3. Squire says:

This game already came out in 1995, it was called Destuction Derby, seriously what is different here apart from the fidelity of the graphics? Even DD had parts falling off…

I loved DD and DD2 in the mid-90s, then when Flatout came out in 2004, it added physics objects to the world and I had fun again for a few months. Thats where the innovation stops though, boring same old crap.

4. Dexemplu says:

Am I the only one that sees SUMO from Carmageddon?

• CaspianRoach says:

Yeah, a lot of the cars look like Carmageddon ones, but I think that’s because most cars look the same, even the fictional ones.

On another note, am I the only one that thinks that this game looks too sterile? There’s not enough dirt and pieces of cars flying around, feels very 2005-y.

• SupberUber says:

Agreed. Even DD had particles all over the place. 2+ tonnes vehicles have a thing for shedding metal when colliding at high speeds. I dunno, may be those stupid physics having at it again.

5. SelfEsteemFund says:

Seems pretty fun I guess, but I don’t really see it as a Destruction Derby ‘successor’, looks quite slow and well, not wacky at all.
    Still waiting on Codemasters to pull their finger out and make a racing sim in the same vain as GT/Forza for the PC, they seem to have everything but the willingness to do it.

6. UsF says:

Flatout 1 was the best. Flatout 2 and UC wasn’t as good, because the roadside objects had no weight to it. I want another Flatout 1, preferably with less annoying road cones, though.

7. Buttless Boy says:

Those wubs were disappointing. I demand more vigorous wubs in my game trailers!

• Delusibeta says:

I was actually hoping for that “Gonna Be The Death Of Me” track that the Trials Evolution trailer used (I know, I know, exclusive to Microsoft console funbox, sue me) but Nero x Dirtyphonics will do.

8. Turbobutts says:

I watched the trailer and the moment I saw that it’s gonna be a derby game I couldn’t help but think back to the endless hours of LAN fun I had with friends and FlatOut 2, just bashing our cars into each other and laughing our asses off. The fifth generation had Destruction Derby, the sixth generation had FlatOut, and this shall be this generation’s prime mode of immensely lowering the resale value of cars for me, even if it’s a little late. Thank you, based Codemasters!

9. Bungle says:

Is this going to be F2P? If not, Codemasters has another flop on their hands.

• Delusibeta says:

Full price retail (on consoles at least), bizarrely. It’s the sort of game I’d have thought would be suited for £10 digital download on all formats, but we’ll see how much game is in there.

10. Daduck says:

I think we can all agree that we need to use this engine, to create a new flatout game.

It looks good, and we have all been having fun playing Destruction Derby. But the endless ours of fun playing against friends with Flatout and Flatout 2.

Flatout 3 on the other hand, is the worst piece of shit I have ever played. So let’s forget that it ever existed, and use this engine to create a real Flatout 3.

11. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

After Dirt3 & F1 2011 debacles is anyone going to trust Codemasters again they just remake the last game & change it up a little. This is more of the same using their dated EGO engine which should have either been retired or updated to full DX11 by now!!!

12. dnch says:

i will never buy Dirt game again, never, they fucked me 3 times, i wont let it happen for the 4th time