16,000 People Chase The Apocalypse: Wasteland 2 Is Go

By Craig Pearson on March 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am.

Kickstarter just went down. Bet Brian Fargo is F5ing it like crazy.
It’s a Kickstarter miracle! Top-down post-apocalyptic RPG Wasteland 2, has managed to earn its Kickstarter funding goal in 42 hours and 30 minutes. With 33 days left until the end of the world begins, Brian Fargo’s dream project has scooped its $900,000 target and is closing in on that first million. Impressively it’s sold out all eight of the offered $10,000 reward packages, including a donation from Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan, who did so as an apology for pirating the original game.

What happens now? There are already plans in place for any extra funds: the more money, the bigger and more open the world becomes.

At $1.25 million, the money will go primarily into making the world bigger, adding more maps, more divergent stories and even more music

At $1.5 million, the world gets even bigger. You’ll have more adventures to play, more challenges to deal with, and a greater level of complexity to the entire storyline. We’ll add more environments, story elements, and characters to make the rich world come alive even more. We will even be able to bring Wasteland 2 to OS X for Mac lovers.

Apparently at $100,000,000, he’ll bring about the apocalypse and turn the world into a “vast desert suckhole where everyone will suffer each and every second of their lives”. I’m paraphrasing*, but what dedication to game design!

So far I’ve paid for FTL and the Double Fine Adventure. I think that’ll do me for now: I kind of want to buy games I can play right away.

*lying

, , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

I wanted to pledge but then I saw that it won’t include any DRM which made me sad. I find it hard to justify buying a game I can easily lose receipt for and lose it altogether. Steam has spoiled me with autoupdates and downloads on demand and I have no intention of returning to the dark times of archives and folder management.

• Flukie says:

Im pretty sure they will do what Double Fine is and give a DRM free AND a Steam version, I mean they are doing a Steam Beta so why wouldn’t they?

If not then its a bit dicky to have a separate Steam version.

• CaspianRoach says:

Disregard my comment, it’s in the FAQ:

Q: Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?
        A: Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Though it wouldn’t hurt to put it somewhere more obvious, not at the bottom of the page.

• sneetch says:

A more obvious place than in the FAQ on the main page? Where would that be?

They also mention gaining access to the beta through Steam in the main text and in the different awards for pledges.

Be honest, you misunderstood what they meant when they said DRM free, made an incorrect assumption and now you’re trying to find a reason that your mistake is their fault.

• CaspianRoach says:

At the bottom of the several screens long page in a folded FAQ thread. Not exactly the most obvious place to look if you see the page for the first time. Double Fine Adventure had the information about steam keys in the pledge stages information and it was very clear and understandable.

• Tyshalle says:

Thanks for pointing it out and making sure he knows just how wrong he really is, Sneetch. You’re… you’re a real hero.

• sneetch says:

No, Tyshalle, you’re the real hero here. You made sure that I know how right I was for pointing it out and making sure he knows just how wrong he was.

• squareking says:

Caspian: They originally had that info in the tier column; not sure why they shuffled it.

BubuIIC says:

See for example the humblebundle or gog.com for always access without DRM. Ok, steam is still more convenient with it’s auto patching but they could easily release a DRM-free version on steam. (I guess; there are some titles without the steam DRM).

• Njordsk says:

steam IS a DRM

mrwonko says:

Not exactly, for example Breath of Death VII, Alpha Protocol, Legendary and Dark Messiah Might and Magic (MP?) (and accidentally Skyrim, for a while) don’t have any DRM on Steam, i.e. you can start them using their executables with Steam turned off. Enabled me to play Alpha Protocol when my internet was down for a week and Steam wouldn’t go into offline mode.

• Mistabashi says:

Yeah, I wish people would stop saying that. Steam offers a DRM system if the publisher/developer chooses to use it, and there’s tons of games on Steam that don’t (just like there’s tons of games that use third-party DRM systems).

• Mattressi says:

I thought they said they’d have a Steam version as well as the regular DRM-free version? Maybe that was a different Kickstarter project? :S

• jellydonut says:

….it will be available on Steam AS WELL as DRM-free. :|

• eks says:

You are serious aren’t you? My god. I thought you were being sarcastic, speechless………

• andash says:

I realize what you mean with your reference to DRM but please be more careful. DRM itself does not have much to do with access to your product, if anything at all. DRM is something that restricts various things, it doesn’t inherently have something to do with you being able to retrieve your product whenever you want.

DRM-free is something good, and I would bet there are more examples of products/services with DRM being unavailable to the consumer, than without DRM.

Just to be perfectly clear, DRM-free does not imply a “one time download” or even a limited time. You have to check that stuff every time you buy something, DRM or not.

Unless of course you were simply joking and I’m making a fool of myself

• CaspianRoach says:

Yeah but DRM free means “you have to keep a game key/login-pass in your inbox in case you lose the binaries”. I have enough accounts and various keys on different sites to last me a lifetime, I don’t want another one.

• CapeMonkey says:

I keep those e-mails in a folder labelled “game keys/logins,” so if I should ever lose the binaries and wish to replay a game, it’s two clicks and a quick search away – barely more onerous than Steam or its ilk.

• Jim9137 says:

That’s exactly the opposite of DRM free. Keys and passes were one of the earliest form of DRM (as were pictures in manual and other cryptographic devices).

• Jim9137 says:

And to clarify more: If it’s DRM free, you can always download it again from another source and start playing again – without having to pray and wish you had kept that HDD in a bunker with the DRM-WeRFreemenegent Software that prevents you from playing it from any other HDD that you didn’t approve with an DNA sample.

So yes, you are arguing for sticking to something that does exactly what you don’t want.

• CaspianRoach says:

See, that’s not entirely true. If I could download and install a game without ever entering key/login information that would be akin to downloading a freeware program and playing it without ever paying the developer. Given the easy and obvious choice not to pay for a product readily and officialy available for download without any kind of identification information would obliterate the game’s sales. DRM is a good thing if done right, it allows us to have future games by ensuring game developers don’t die of starvation.

• zeroskill says:

What some people don’t seem to realize is that DRM is necessary for the industry and inherent, isn’t bad, especially Steam. Steam is basically the reason a lot of developers and publishers still see the PC platform as a viable way to make money. Especially indie developers. Steam is singlehandedly responsible for the indie explosion. Because with Steam, they have means for not only promotion, but a reliable source of income, and a reasonable partner in Valve (compared to Microsoft or Sony, who often force indie developers into dependency through exclusivity contracts, see “Thatgamecompany” for a recent example). Some indie developers wouldn’t even exist anymore if it wasn’t for Steam, like Introversion Software, who make exceptional games, but still, would be out of business if it wasn’t for Steam and Valve.
            Most users and developers, that aren’t [censored] are more then ok with what Valve offers in return for using Steam.

Furthermore: Do you know why indie developers love Valve so much? All you rant about is how Steam is DRM, but have you ever considered this, from an developers standpoint? What exactly do indies get for being on Steam, what are they buying for giving Valve a bit of their money? For one, exposure to more then 30 million people. But this isn’t probably the most important. What they are getting is solid server architecture and all the distribution aspects, like handling google checkout and paypal, which is a pain for most indie developers. Just look at Project Zomboid. At one point, Valve has given them free access to steam servers, so they can distribute their alpha build. And don’t get me started about paypal. All these problems vanish for indies when they are on Steam.

• LintMan says:

@zeroskill: you’re confusing Steam the store with Steam the DRM. It wasn’t the DRM that bailed out Introversion or Arcen Games, it was the huge sales at the Steam store. Steam is a massive store, and if they promote a game and put it on sale, it gets huge attention. Nothing to do with Steam DRM. I’ve seen developes credit Stardock’s Impulse with giving them their big break for the same reason, and Impulse is generally DRM free. Also, the recent run of The Humble Bundle, and other “pay what you want” deals are doing the same thing, without the DRM.

Personally, I’m not generally against DRM if it’s unobtrusive, and Steam generally isn’t that bad, but wait until you try to use several computers for gaming (so my kids can play their own games), and you’ll suddenly discover that Steam only wants to lock you to one computer (ie: I can’t play Skyrim on Steam while my son plays Civilization V on Steam on a different computer). The only workaround for this is to constantly juggle Steam’s “offline mode” between the computers, which is a royal pain in the ass.

• Craig Stern says:

“exposure to more then 30 million people. But this isn’t probably the most important.”

Nope. The exposure is by far the most important part.

• YoYo says:

And you don’t need a login/pass for steam ? :)

• paterah says:

You have definitely no idea what DRM means.

• CaspianRoach says:

Steam is a form of DRM. DRM-free means “without DRM”. I try and play all my games through Steam, even those that don’t sell there. It’s great to have an in-game overlay with all sorts of cool stuff such as chat, voice chat, web browser, local time, automatic screenshot management, cloud saves and achievements. Granted screenshot management could use a bit of retouching but it’s much better than printscreening, alttabbing and manually saving them. And you can upload them to your profile almost immediately. It turns my PC from a glorified game console into an awesome game center and all with a single shortcut. I don’t know why anybody would not want this in their games.

• Blackcompany says:

I have the Witcher and Witcher 2 DRM Free from GOG. Let me explain what this means…
          It means I have an exe file. When I run this, it installs the game. Which I have done twice. Once on my rig, and once on my girlfriend’s rig, since its the bigger box and has access to the television.
          Neither time did I have to enter a key/password/other information to do this.
          If I get the gaming laptop I want, I will also be able to install the game there. Again. Without either:
          A: a password, or
          B: Having to remove it from any other machine, or
          C: Logging into any third party app like Steam
          If I could get every game DRM free -up to and including Steam free – I surely would do.
          Put another way: There is perhaps nothing in the gaming world worse than having to fire up and log into Steam just to make a mod through the creation kit. That cannot go away fast enough for my taste.

• CaspianRoach says:

It means you have a DRM in form of your GOG login/pass. You have to download binaries from somewhere. Games without DRM are freeware games readily available for download from official game site. The intrusiveness of DRM is another question, for me having to automatically login into Steam and wait 15 seconds for it to load is an okay price to pay for all the goodies it offers.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

CaspianRoach, you are confusing restrictions on how you get the game initially with DRM, which restricts the game after you have obtained it.

A DRM-free game is one that, after you buy it, has no imposed restrictions on it. No required activation, no required Steam or Origin login, no CD key, no CD check, no codewheel, no LensLok.

When you conflate a GOG account login—that is only required to log in to the website to purchase or download a game—with DRM, or suggest that any game that is not free of charge is not DRM free, you are simply wrong.

• Zeewolf says:

Yeah, GOG is the shop, not the product. Saying GOG is DRM is like saying a regular brick & mortar shop is DRM. You can’t go in there and take anything you want without some restrictions – money passing hands, et.c. But you can buy a DRM-free game there.

• wearedevo says:

CaspianRoach, I can confirm that you definitely don’t appear to know what DRM means. :)

• sqparadox says:

Steam can be a form of DRM. DRM free Steam games can be run completely free of Steam (such as the release version of Skyrim—they sure patched that in a hurry). I don’t mean offline mode, I mean with Steam not running or even not installed at all.

• Khemm says:

Holy hell, is this post for real?

• krisanto says:

Seems like a sincere post. But the OP is confusing the definition of Digital Rights Management with Digital Distribution.

• Oof says:

I LdOL.

• Brun says:

Gold Star to Khemm for not griping about Steam and instead making me laugh.

• f1x says:

Lets complain about DRM and then also about lack of DRM
      yeah why not

• caddyB says:

I laughed out loud at that ,people in the library are looking at me like I’m some kind of rude person.. I hope this makes you happy.

• Beelzebud says:

Great now I have a headache.

• Ichi_1 says:

You really really need to look at what people are saying here. DRM is not a service that allows you to download a game, DRM is something that restricts the amount of times you can install a game you have paid for or something else ridiculously restrictive.

I’ve got no problem with Steam. But I do think it is worrying how accepting people are of some of it’s darker elements. IMO people who buy full price games on Steam are morons. Sale purchases sales sure. But why pay £40 for something that you can never ever take round a friends house, install on as many of your own machines as you want, or resell to fund the purchase of another game.

Now I’ve bought a lot of games on Steam. But they’ve always been on sale. I seriously fear for our consumer rights if Steam becomes the only place we can buy games. If some Steam mod decides you have been a naughty boy or girl you can be stopped from playing games that YOU OWN for ever. Not being able to install your games on multiple machines or part exchange them is also horrendous.

If brick and mortar stores disappear totally, we as consumers are going to be bent over by every games company under the sun

• Havok9120 says:

For that to happen, you’d not only need every brick and mortar to stop selling PC games, you’d need every other Digital Distributor to do the same. This is especially true as the other services have totally different systems for downloading and playing your games.

• Mistabashi says:

“IMO people who buy full price games on Steam are morons. Sale purchases sales sure. But why pay £40 for something that you can never ever take round a friends house, install on as many of your own machines as you want, or resell to fund the purchase of another game.”

Aside from re-selling, which you obviously can’t do with any digitally distributed game (as well as a some physical games that have online features linked to an account), you can do all those things with a Steam game. You can install it on as many computers as you like, the only restriction is that you have to log-in to your Steam account once in a while.

• LionsPhil says:

Wasteland 2 gets funded in a little over a day.

First comment thread is a lengthy one about DRM.

10/10 for trolling.

• Lemming says:

In the context of how they describe it in their FAQ, I’d say DRM-free means a Steam version anyway. I think they are referring to anything requiring a disc or special authorisation. Most Steam users, funnily enough, don’t see Steam as anything like ‘DRM: the devil incarnate’. Even if it is in fact, technically DRM.

• RegisteredUser says:

You have to seriously redo your vocabulary. A _delivery_ service is NOT the same as a Digital Rights Management system.

DRM is about restricting and controlling access to things you buy; a delivery service can be anything from Steam to a website, FTP, torrent(yes, Blizzard uses torrenting) etc.

Just because something comes from one of those it does not HAVE to be locked with DRM.

Please, for the love of god, stop saying you want DRM. Not only is it wrong, it also is the worst thing in the world to ASK FOR.

DRM is the enemy, not a feature.

2. Kaira- says:

No Linux, no buy.

Just jesting, of course I’ll pledge something.

3. aircool says:

Wow! This is fantastic. The big nobz will be kicking themselves for not thinking of this first; making a video game that people are prepared to pay for before it’s even made (that’s not supposed to sound cynical btw).

I’ve been hoping that these ventures, along with the flourishing indie scene, will usher in the second golden age of PC gaming.

• Meat Circus says:

IS IT DONE YET, BRIAN?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

• Askeladd says:

I personally think this will inspire publisher in a good and a bad way.
      Sure some of them will deliver something that we like but I think the majority will only focus more on reselling old franchise as their top priority.

The flaws of the current gaming industry won’t be fixed in the near future, but I forecast even more indie studios to rise and develop “alternative games”. After some years there will be new studios or old ones that have the resources and manpower to develop really great games, given that they have success with the kickstarter wave we see know.
      I just hope EA doesn’t go around and buys up the broken fragments if something goes wrong.

• f1x says:

Actually thats how you usually make games, just that normally the publisher pays the cost of the game to the studio so the studio can make it,
      just that with a kickstarter you dont have the publisher in between meaning good things and bad things:
      good things: profits go to the ones making the game more directly (more directly tho of course distributed equally into the ranks inside the studio)
      also you dont have the publisher bitching about release dates, and “putting more explosions” on the game and such

bad things: who the fuck knows when it will be released?

4. jellydonut says:

I have pledged mine, $100.

This will be so awesome. :D

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I pledged $100,000!

Not really ;)

BubuIIC says:

I’d love to get a boxed copy, but $15 for shipping is quite a lot compared to the $50 price tag. :-/

• InternetBatman says:

Isn’t $65 still pretty low for a boxed new game in pretty much anywhere but Russia or the US?

• eks says:

Yeah, which is why no retail outlets stock PC games. I can either pay $100NZD for a boxed game or buy it digital for a fraction of the cost. My point being of course that there is not much point comparing it to current retail because current retail prices are ridiculous.

Death to retail.

Death to wasted cardboard.

Jackablade says:

You New Zealanders get screwed even worse than we do in Australia when it comes to retail. At least, you do have some pretty decent options for online sellers over there.

5. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I really didn’t think this was going to happen. The project just didn’t seem to have the same level of charm as the double fine one. I would have liked to have seen more information about what the intention for the end result is. I also think double fine made a bold move by getting their potential backers a bit more involved throughout the process. This one came off a bit more like, we need the money, we’ll see you when it’s done!

That said, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

• Christian O. says:

This needs to be said first: I’m really happy it’s getting made.

Here’s my critique: I think the game is getting made because of the fans’ dedication and most importantly, in spite of the campaign itself. It doesn’t sell the product very well and focuses far more on why it hasn’t been made in the past and I personally couldn’t get through the video because of how mean-spirited and bitter it was.

Like I said: I’m glad it’s getting made, but the campaign itself didn’t really have anything to do with it.

• sneetch says:

I took the Video as a tongue-in-cheek poke at the way games are made these days rather than as mean-spirited and bitter.

The campaign worked with me.

I never played the original so I don’t think I count as a fan but I pledged to it for the chance of playing a top-down, turn-based, party RPG again. I love those games and although I enjoy action games (and action RPGs) I want to encourage people to make a broader range of games.

• JackShandy says:

The video tapped into that “We’re a tiny minority playing games that no-one else understands” feeling that RPG fanatics live on. It was perfectly judged.

ffordesoon says:

Exactly. People forget that Brian Fargo, however lovely he is as a human being, is still someone with a lot of experience in marketing products. Part of marketing is knowing what your demographic will respond to.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t believe what he’s saying. It just means he knows his audience.

• InternetBatman says:

I agree with you. It was a bit clumsy compared to the Doublefine one or FTL. But the Doublefine one had a professional film crew filming it, and the FTL one had a working model as proof of concept.

• squareking says:

Also consider that Shafer & Co. have made a living from making riotous, goofy, laugh-a-minute games, so they have some experience in making with the smiles. That said, I found the Wasteland vid funny and quite charming.

Meant to quote Ninja, sorry!

• Aufero says:

The original was one of the best games I’ve ever played, so the only campaign it really needed for me was “Wasteland 2 made by Alan Pavlish, Brian Fargo and Michael Stackpole”.

• sqparadox says:

Wasteland 2 forums have been up and taking feedback since before the Kickstarter began. Double Fine’s backer forums aren’t even up yet.

If anything the fans have already been more involved with Wasteland 2 and definitely will be during the production of the game itself. Everything outside the core game can be influenced by the fans, the same cannot be said of the Double-Fine Adventure.

And I’m not trying to say that Wasteland 2 is better than the Double Fine Adventure (I backed both) just that you have your facts wrong.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

OK but it didn’t come across very well from the kickstarter page.

• Wizardry says:

Yes. And not only that, Brian Fargo and the team have done numerous interviews before the Kickstarter went live. Two with the RPG Codex, one with NMA and one with RPS being the four I know about. He spent a while planning this Kickstarter and has set up a forum for feedback. I’d say this was better planned than the Double Fine one was.

6. pkt-zer0 says:

“I kind of want to buy games I can play right away.”

Sure. The issue was that if games like Wasteland are what you’d even want to play, you’ll have to get them made, first. And since publishers are quite obviously not going to help with that, we will need to do so. And I’m okay with that, even if there isn’t a game I can play right away.

7. ChainsawCharlie says:

Dang that Razer CEO sure made me smile with his pledge.

8. deke913 says:

A few “must haves”…

Talking intro with iconic old music
    power armor
    humorous conversations with mutants
    dog companion

and every chance they get to crack on Bethesda during gameplay would be sweet sweet awesomesauce

ffordesoon says:

A little good-natured ribbing? Sure.

Every other line? No.

Lambchops says:

@ Craig Pearson

Ooh, Kickstarter snap! Those are exactly what I’ve backed.

Anyway, not sure whether this game would be my cup of milk but it’s cheering to see more Kickstarter success.

10. InternetBatman says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this go over two million even though they seem to be going up at half the rate Doublefine did. At the very least, we can easily expect it to get over 1.5 million.

Hodge says:

I haven’t been able to resist any of them (except that ant one). I received something of a shock when I checked my bank balance last night.

12. Askeladd says:

This is going in a great direction. This involves the community greatly in the creation of games. Just imagine… getting a game you wanted to be made!

Hey let’s talk about the new synd.. NO!

13. TsunamiWombat says:

Good lord, 1 million dollars in 3 days.

• Havok9120 says:

‘Bout 44 hours actually. That last 100K STORMED in after we hit the goal.

14. riadsala says:

I wonder what would happen if rockstar put up a kickstarter for GTAVI? Or MS did one for another Halo game. Or any other major franchise.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I’m hoping people would tell them to go fuck themselves, since the audience for that kind of game isn’t usually the kind to lurk around kickstarter or go in for that sort of payment plan.

• riadsala says:

I’d hope so too. But I’m not sure if that would be the case…. people seem happy to pay silly amounts of money for the deluxe edition of such games.

• fiddlesticks says:

Considering that, according to Wikipedia, the development of GTA IV cost roughly $100 million, I’d say Kickstarter wouldn’t do much for Rockstar.

• InternetBatman says:

If the right large company put their games on kickstarter, they could probably make a million or two, which is still largely unimportant given their budgets. Bioware in particular could make a nice chunk of cash.

• razorblade79 says:

I’d say that would horribly fail since the average Wasteland 2 / Adventure donater is probably twice the age of the average gta / halo gamer (and thus way more people with a steady income are available to the former)

Also because there is one of these every year or ever multiple times a year in contrast to none for 1-2 decades.

• Beelzebud says:

You seem to totally be missing the point. Those people don’t need kickstarter because they’re sitting on millions of dollars. Inxile doesn’t have any money, and no publisher would back them.

*That* is why people are giving them money.

If Microsoft or Rockstar tried to do this, they’d get laughed off the internet, and rightly so. They’re already sitting on vast sums of cash.

15. Jorum says:

That’s wasteland2, doublefine, and FTL i’ve ponied up for.
    I hope they don’t turn out duds.
    But FTL is already looking great, and the others have finest pedigree.

Come’on Ace – put up a zenoclash 2 kickstarter and I will give you my house*

*or like $15-$20 or something. I really liked zenoclash is what I’m saying.

LTK says:

I haven’t pledged to any kickstarters so far, but for Zeno Clash 2 my wallet would snap open fast enough to create a sonic boom.

• ChainsawCharlie says:

Same here. I’ve also backed No Time to Explain earlier one which didn’t turn out too well. The game is just not fun.

16. Blackcompany says:

Ponied up $15 for this. Why not. I consider it a vote with my wallet and just maybe, an investment toward the day when fans, instead of publishers, get to decide the games we want to play.
    Ahh, to dream…

17. Khemm says:

Awesome. Now make an awesome RPG we’re desperate to play!

18. espylaub says:

Mac version! Ok, now I’m in too.

19. Godsmith says:

Funny, I’ve also backed DoubleFIne, FTL and now Wasteland 2. I have the same taste in games as Craig, wooo.

• Subject 706 says:

As have I. Though I suspect quite a lot of RPSers are the kind of people who would.

Harlander says:

I rather like this whole kickstarter deal. It feels like a democratized version of the old system of patronage.

• caddyB says:

Indeed it does. That’s a nice view on things, I’ll never looked at it that way.

21. Jimbo says:

I’m surprised by this one. Well done.

22. JFS says:

Now I’ll only have to pledge for FTL… which is cheaper… then again, I would want to play the Beta on that one (the other two, not so much)… that’ll make it more expensive… so what am I going to do… maybe put some more ellipsises on RPS… yeah, that’ll do.

equatorian says:

Jubilation! This is very good news! (And yes, they have my money.)

I hope this entire kickstarter thing can be a new model to fund ‘the lower side of mid-budget’ games, games that are too large/expensive to be indie and too niche and/or risky for publishers. Gaming lost a lot, I think, when it lost these kinds of games in the AAA drive. (Think about it—-Squaresoft’s golden age were mostly mid-budget games, relatively speaking, and it kind of started to roll downhill when trying to compete solely in the AAA market. And of course there’s Black Isle. And pretty much the entire genre of adventure games, although THAT is obviously more complicated. Wargames, weird simulation/tycoon games…) It’s where a good chunk of the interesting games used to be, I think.

24. InternetBatman says:

Wasteland 2 just hit a million, and incidentally I think this’ll be the last game that I fund for a while. FTL looks fun, but its so well supported that I doubt additional funding can really do all that much for it. It’s probably destined for an Indie bundle anyways. Kickstarters for games are fun. They feel like an event that you pay to be a part of, but I’ve can easily see myself spending too much on them.

Unless Chris Avellone does his. I’ll fund that in a second. Or there’s one for a spiritual successor to Star Control II. Or…

I’m in trouble.

25. caddyB says:

FTL and Wasteland 2. And I’m done for a while. Can’t really afford trying to support every good idea out there, sadly.

jrodman says:

That’s okay, some of us are overpaid for our stupid jobs and can keep throwing money at any great game launch idea. Keep them coming, I say.

26. psyk says:

Can the hivemind not auto block messages containg shortened urls? There is no point in allowing them on the site, all they are used for is spam and hiding malware infected links.

http://www.unshorten.com – this is a must have site now days.

27. psyk says:

People don’t know what DRM is in this day and age……Kill me now.

Also in before the “I paid cash for this, where is my game, ima going to sue” rage posts when it isnt released by the end of this year.

ffordesoon says:

Ponied up $250, been commenting on the forum, am really really excited.

Andy_Panthro says:

Went for the $250 option too (and an extra $15 for international shipping).

Of course, it might be quite a wait before the game is released. Anyone fancy a guess?

29. TheGameSquid says:

Fucking Mark Morgan. i’m sold.

30. pipman3000 says:

they should make it a first person tile based real time rpg like the classic dungeon master, now that’d be an enhancement.

31. Lemming says:

I think I’m pretty safe from the kickstarter bug now unless Dungeon Keeper 3 or Elite 4 ends up on it.

32. Nater says:

Cannot wait. FO3 was pretty good but it wasnt a sequel spiritually. Should have been Fallout: Washington or something like FO: New Vegas. Anyway.

I hope they make enuff to make this game fully developed and make alot of money so they can get Interplay or a company like it back on its feet. For the most part PC gaming has lost its charm from the 80-90s. While definitely not dead, its very flat now.

33. RegisteredUser says:

Clearly the CEO theory proves that pirating things is a perfectly legitimate approach towards participating in a consumer society if you currently lack funds.