Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Is Playable Now

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2012 at 12:29 pm.

Electronic Arts send word that their browser-based spin-off from the C&C series, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances, has entered playable beta. Phenomic, who did EA’s other F2P (EA cleverly called it Play4Free) titles, BattleForge and Lords of Ultima, are behind the project, which allows players to play old school C&C action in the browser, and work together to capture territory on some kind of global map. The beta only has GDI for now, but you can still harvest some Tiberium and poke about in the game’s surprisingly complicated interface.

Trailer beloooow.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pixelprime says:

I hope it doesn’t come loaded with a whole bundle of pay-to-win accessories! Then again, this a favoured business model nowadays, so I suspect EA’s involvement will ensure there are monetisation opportunities in there, beyond those of mere promotion for the existing games in the series.

• Timberfox says:

Sadly, currently it is. When they finally revealed the f2p model, it ended up being buying resources, or “command points”(the fixed generation resources that allows you to attack) for money. They even made it scale, so that the longer the game goes on, the more money your allowed to spend on directly buying resources. I was pretty active in the beta feedback forums for months, but none of the real devs ever communicated with the community. There were many days of outrage, and 100 post threads of rage, but it all went largely ignored and they stayed on their own development track.

2. Jams O'Donnell says:

Complete with old-school Baneblade ripoff: link to Facebook C&C image

3. Farkeman says:

Both Phenomic titles Lords of Ultima and BattleForge had TERRIBLE free2play models so I wouldn’t expect a fair free2play game from EA if I were you, and in RTS game fair matters very much.

4. Axyl says:

It’s basically Evony in a C&C skin.
    Fine i guess if you’re into that sorta thing. It’s really NOTHING like any C&C Game though.

• pixelprime says:

I’m was hoping to see Tim Curry appear in an introductory video sequence. But then I disappointed myself by remembering that this is the wrong universe.

5. diebroken says:

Yeah, think I’d rather try out the C&C js/html port (vid link)…

6. Alec Meer says:

I will be POSTING some WORDS about my experiences with this thing tomorrow.

7. jack4cc says:

Wow. It’s hard to find a button without a pay2win icon next to it..
    And after playing it for 30mins or so I conclude that there is no C&C in this game. Won’t play again.

8. reggiep says:

I played the beta for this junker. It’s not RTS. It’s more like C&C Farmville. In any case, I think I’ve sworn off all EA properties for the foreseeable future.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Aww but how will I be able to gift you a harvester?

• Dreforian says:

I was gonna say, this has been out and around for awhile now but apparently I was playing something other than this particular stage of beta. Also, I spent about 20 minutes fiddling around in my base before attempting combat and watching everything glitch out. Haven’t been back since (and I love me some C&C, this just ain’t it).

9. Bhazor says:

Take well known franchise
    Attach to unrelated game
    Remove any vestigal gameplay similarities ensuring no fans will be interested
    ????
    Profit

Why can’t they just do Red Alert 2 skirmish in a browser? With pay to unlock maps or something?

This idea of removing everything that made your game addictive in the first place and then attaching some horsepucky click harvest overgame instead is just bewildering. I mean people played these games for years, wouldn’t it make much more sense to just monetise that instead?

• sephiroth says:

while I dislike you as you have a pony gravatar I must agree with you

oh god the sky is falling I just agreed with a stupid brony morron

• Droopy The Dog says:

Oh god, you stole the poorly translated name of a JRPG character and I agree with you too.

Oh, but wait, I don’t agree with arbitrarily insulting people for no good reason! So I only half-agree with your agreement…

The rules of this game are so confusing, is the sky going to half-fall now?! Would that just make space closer? COULD I BE AN ASTRONAUT NOW?!?!

• Bhazor says:

Are you upset because I have a Rainbow Dash avatar? Are you more of an Applejack man?

10. cpy says:

I tried beta, it is totaly imbalanced, you can’t defend everything, and air is just annoying as hell.

11. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I propose the next new thing over play4free, and I’m calling it Fr336amez

12. sephiroth says:

EA really should ad the tag line “We just dont get it GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY” to all their games as thats what they say to me now anyway.

Saw the words Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Is Playable Now got all excited

Saw the screen shot felt a lot less excited but still wanting to know more

Watched the trailer rembered why I hate EA with a passion and wish bad things would happen to them everyday.

Also after about 10 seconds of the video I rembered why I didnt care for the letters C being put near another C with a & in the middle anymore. Its not C&C like in the 90′s its just crap now pure crap. After the totally unbalanced (on launch any way) mess that was C&C3 I havent touched the franchise and am amazed anyone even looked at C&C4 much less payed really money for it.

hmm just the pay2win comments again no supprise as this is EA and the word free to them means “all you moneys are belong to us”

EA you used to cool man wtf. please hurry up and die so we can forget you.

13. Nintyuk says:

I was lucky enough to be in the alpha, and basically It’s a constant grind and all your actions are limited by command points that fill back up at a set rate till your fixed quota of 120 is filled. Meaning you get to play it for about 20mins twice a day. But they have your base producing bonuses that you have to collect as there produced meaning in mid game to get the most out of your resource’s you have to play for 2mins every hour.

Ohh and If you want to use those mammoth tanks? It’s physically impossible to unlock them in under 2 weeks. So don’t expect to use them until you’ve been playing for several months.

14. Dreforian says:

Missed an opportunity to call this article “EA Just Did It Up: ”
    Saving this for the official release perhaps?

15. JerreyRough says:

C&C: Alliances is alright. Managing two alliances on two of the closed beta servers ATM. While there are Pay2Win aspects, its not something you’ll find much, if at all. I haven’t seen anyone purchase an advantage yet, but it is true that you can P2W. Almost all resources can be purchased.

In terms of gameplay there are a few issues, chief among them being powerful players. Get enough defensive upgrades and your base is indestructible. That’s whats happening right now: a player that started after many people in my alliance started is now single-handily destroying our alliance, simply because we can’t break his defenses.

I would suggest staying away from this game. I’ll probably quit within the next few days. While I love tactically placing your troops to break through the enemy, I don’t find much fun other than that. Especially when you get stomped and can’t do a single thing about it.

EDIT: This game is a bit like games like Cybernations combined with the leveling up system of MMO’s like WoW. Doesn’t work terribly well unfortunately.

16. Droopy The Dog says:

Lords of ultima is horrific in every sense, but having played battleforge in the beta, it was actually alright as an RTS.

‘course the buying MTG style card packs business model was aimed at people with more money than sense, but when they let you try the cards out for free in beta, it was a fairly interesting game. Terrible story but some good co-op missions and a unique little take on the usual RTS tropes.

17. olpolpolpolp says: