Stumbling Out Soon: The Walking Dead Out In April

By Craig Pearson on March 15th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

What's a zombie's favourite button on an ipod? Shuffle.
Like that one ankle-biting zombie that can hear and you know is out there, but you don’t see until it’s molar deep into your favourite tendon (that’s the right for me), the Telltale Walking Dead game has just leapt out from the dark. Except: Aha! I was standing behind a window of invisible zombie proof glass, you stupid dead jerk. In this little scenario, the leap is the release month announcement, and the zombie proof glass is the time between them telling us “early April”, and the dead-head eventually breaking through the glass and consuming my flesh, that bit being the actual release.

I know very little about the game, partly because I’ve recoiled in horror from Telltale after Jurassic Park, but also because I prefer to shoot zombies: it’s an adventure, and you’re a new character in the world (and I hope he’s not nearly as stupid as everyone else in that damn comic), and it’ll include story-based consequences that require the player to make life and death decisions.

If you’d like to know more, Walking Dead The Game writer and ex-PC Gamer Editor Garry Whitta has more.

Via EyeGeeEnn.

, , , .

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Funny how no-one ever uses Telltale as an argument that adventure games are still popular.

Also I think the pertinent question here is: are these “choices” really just QTEs?

EDIT: Yup, sounds like it. Another franchise butchered. Who are they making this shit for anyway?

• Unaco says:

People who like Adventure Games.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Ouch!

• Nick says:

People who actually like adventure games surely don’t like this shite though.

• Jerakal says:

No we don’t.

Really I don’t even know why they’re doing this crap. Their adventure games were fairly decent, I mean hell, I bought them. Stop making this shit and give me another puzzle agent or Sam and Max, PLEASE!

• Valvarexart says:

It may be many things, but funny is not the first word that comes to mind.

2. Deadly Habit says:

telltale games are really hit or miss, like some i would consider more like a visual novel than an adventure games. hopefully this doesn’t suck

• Ett_1762 says:

The Back to the Future game was neither. Just meh. Not extremly bad (like jurassic park) but also not very good (like sam & max or puzzle agent). This one though will be very bad, i think-.

3. Creeping Death says:

Huh, Gary Whitta is a lot less annoying when he isn’t around the Giantbomb team!

I’m going to wait for some video game footage before I decide if I should be excited for this or not. I love the walking dead franchise and didn’t hate their Jurassic Park game (though to elaborate on that, I got it cheap and went in with full knowledge of what that game was) so I guess either way I’ll be keeping an eye out for the eventual Steam sale?

4. hypercrisis says:

Telltale needs writers badly. I could handle their bland puzzling if they gave it some wit.

• BatmanBaggins says:

I don’t know, I thought their take on Sam & Max and Monkey Island had their moments.

This sort of thing, though….

RedViv says:

Sam & Max at least had the creator on board. The Monkey Island games, well, they had the same problem especially the last of the main games had. Too many references, too many in-jokes, and the fourth wall can only be abused so much, before it gets boring to watch.
        Quite ironic that the supposed continuation of the series took the turn that ruined almost every game in the genre released after its supposed death, a death the last MI game actually was the clearest sign of.
        Which leads us back to the greatest problem that caused it all, which were in fact the clueless writers.

5. int says:

Has that guy got greasepaint beard?

6. S Jay says:

Sounds fun, but looking at Telltale historic, I am very skeptic.

7. Real Horrorshow says:

Zombies are the new WW2.

Please stop, games industry.

JB says:

Games industry, please ignore Real Horrorshow and continue with the zombies. Thank you.

8. nootron says:

Please let whoever made your invisible zombie-proof glass wall that the concept is a bit redundant.

9. Vandalbarg says:

I have a feeling games like Cataclysm, Rogue Survivor and Zomboid will do a better job with the zombie apoc thing (in their own little ways) than this, but here’s hoping.

10. lessthandan says:

My hopes aren’t high for this one, given that Telltale has been churning out so many mediocre licensed games nowadays. Their quality:quantity ratio has taken a turn for the worse.

11. Nick says:

Telltale are becoming the new Ocean.

Gap Gen says:

You are in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. To your north there are 4 SURVIVORS. To your south there are OPPORTUNE AMBUSH POINTS.
    > Use TONGUE on SURVIVOR.
    > Use BILE on SURVIVOR.
    > Use TRACKSUIT on SURVIVOR
    > Use ABANDONED CAR on SURVIVOR.
    > Use EVIL GIGGLING on SURVIVOR.