Death Is Becoming: Skyrim Patch Adds Killcams

By Craig Pearson on March 16th, 2012 at 10:13 am.

This,, but in slow motionnnnnn
Brave beta-neers of Skyrim, wanderers on the frontier of electronic code, a reward awaits those Dovahkiin’s willing to take a journey to the newly laid lands that the god Bethesda has minted in the dark, hidden lands of “Steam > Settings > Beta Participation > Skyrim Beta”. There awaits violence of a most brutal sort, and leering eyes on the Grim Reaper’s work. Dare ye stare into the Youtube oracle to glimpse the horror?

So, yeah: new beta Skyrim patch adds new melee death blows, and kill cams for ranged combat, all ideas plucked from Bethesda’s internal Skyrim game jam. To get involved just add the “Skyrim Beta” to your Steam Settings. If you promise you’re able to handle it, here’s a preview of what the 224mb patch delivers. If my game wasn’t crammed with mods, I’d reroll a new character right now. Instead I’m creating a Dovakhiin out of this bit of Blu Tac and repeatedly making him ride my porcelain cat.

I’d guess it’ll take about a week for this become unbetanoided.

, , , .

1. RF says:

But… This is the worst part of Skyrim.

• Terragot says:

Yes. I hope they at least add shiny new graphics to the ‘turn off kill cam’ button.

• Fwiffo says:

There’s a mod to disable killcams and I think the finishers as well. This is the joy of Skyrim PC; You don’t like something? Change it.

• Alethron says:

I know! The kill-cams pull me right out of it. I’d love to see an option to turn them off. I really like the first person kill animations, where you bury an axe in someone’s head, more of those please!

• Shooop says:

Well then get a mod for it.

There’s a mod for forcing kill cams to be in whatever perspective you’re playing in, I’m sure there’s one to remove them entirely.

• mondomau says:

That’s just, like, your opinion, Man.

I love the killcams personally, though I agree 100% a toggle would be handy. If only to stop people complaining about it.

• noodlecake says:

I agree! Well not at the “stop people complaining about it”. I haven’t tried it with kill cams but it looks awesome from the videos. I think any move to liven up the repetitive boring combat is a good un.

I’m pretty sure he was aware that it was his opinion and not the gospel truth when he said it though. ;)

2. Stevostin says:

The last guy in the video will be difficult to loot.

RaveTurned says:

Why is it that when you stab someone in the neck, blood spurts out of their groin?

4. Dominic White says:

Much more reason to try unarmed combat (which is shockingly effective with the right perks) now that you can suplex people.

VIKING! ATOMIC! BUSTAAAAAAH!

• Drake Sigar says:

Finally, I can play as Street Fighter’s Zangief.

• Quinnbeast says:

I shall now be casting Ice Storm while shouting “SONIIIIIIC BOOOOOM!” at my monitor. The missus is in for a treat.

• Phantoon says:

You can suplex people with this? I guess I’ll turn the kill cinematics back on and get a Luchadore mask mod.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I’m totally going to enchant some daedric gauntlets now.

5. ahluka says:

All this video did is remind me how mental the default ragdoll physics are.

Anthile says:

That’s because if someone gets killed, the game turns the excessive damage into additional force – which is why people get turned into satellites when smashed by a power attack from a giant.
      It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

6. faelnor says:

Of the many bold, funny and interesting ideas they did show in the Skyrim game jam trailer, they chose to implement the ones I really can’t give a damn about. gg

• MuscleHorse says:

It’s probably the easiest.

There was a blog post that got removed stating that they were planning to add more features from the jam, so worry not.

• Aezay says:

Here is a link to the Game Jam for anyone who missed it.

• Davee says:

That… was some awesome stuff. I hope they will implement more of it later on! Maby as optional DLC?

7. Runs With Foxes says:

Good to see their development time is being well spent.

8. MuscleHorse says:

Watching this video made me worry we’re all violent psychopaths.

• Grygus says:

Reading your post makes me want to punch your worries in the face.

I… I hope that clears things up?

AmateurScience says:

Bethesda seem to be really approaching Skyrim more like an mmo in terms of patches compared to Oblivion or Morrowind. ie. there are a load of bugfixes but they come with a few changes that add to the experience. That game jam they did has generated an absolute tonne of content that they couldn’t necessarily charge for but would be relatively easy to drop into the game as a sweetener.

Long may it continue.

Although, I now have a strong urge to avoid playing until the majority of tinkering has stopped and the best mods mature to v1.x.

AmateurScience says:

I still haven’t completed it :( steam says 150 hours played. I must finish vanilla and then do as you do.

• Mavvvy says:

@amateurscience would you be able to advise me on some Mods to keep my eye on or try? I’m finding it difficult to sort through the abundant catacombs that are stream/nexus.

AmateurScience says:

That’s the problem I have, at the moment there’s so much content being generated that it’s difficult to pick and choose what to go for, and many of the mods are wee tweaks to mechanics or systems that are totally subjective as to whether they’re for you or not.

SkyUI is one that I think most people would agree on, although ironically you can’t install it just through the workshop. The HD texture pack DLC has made a lot of the higher res retextures more or less redundant but you may find one or two that address any particular bugbears you have with the game textures. Everything else is really subjective: want more weapons. magic, armour? It’s all there and most of them are WIP so it’s difficult to recommend any as ‘essential’.

Mind you part of the beauty of the Workshop and the Nexus ModManager is that you can enable or disable most of these tweaks without having to get up to your eyeballs in WyreBash or load orders or BSA files: go forth and experiment!

• sqparadox says:

I think the reason for this may have something to do with the fact that Skyrim is still number 2 on the Steam top ten, 4 months after it was released, not to mention the fact there are almost 30,000 people playing it as I type this… and that’s just PC.

They’re patching it more like an MMO because they making money more like an MMO. At least that’s my theory.

MajorManiac says:

For a moment there, I thought they were releasing a new DLC about an angry bard.

11. rustybroomhandle says:

What I really want is for my in-game actions to have meaningful implications and maybe also a game that’s not afraid to tell me ‘no’.

• MSJ says:

This reminds me of the guy who played Diablo but immediately uninstalled it before entering the church when he found out the game has no branching dialogue paths.

• Brun says:

maybe also a game that’s not afraid to tell me ‘no’.

Given that one of the most important (and best) aspects of all Elder Scrolls games is that they put minimal restrictions on the player’s actions, I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Hidden_7 says:

One of the best features of the Elder Scrolls is minimal restrictions on the player’s actions, but more and more that’s misunderstood as minimal restrictions on the character’s actions. The more you let any character do everything, the less choices of character types to play you’re giving me as the player.

They really need to go back to not every character being able to do everything, so long as every player can do anything. It’s gotten ridiculous to the point where there is a quest in the game I will never pass because it requires a nonsense muddled everything character to do so, the type I really don’t enjoy playing, and I need to read walkthroughs for the main quest so that I can skip portions and avoid joining guilds my character really wouldn’t join. They’ve gone from just every character being able to do everything in Oblivion, to it being assumed that every character will do everything.

Bring back the RPG idea that different characters are better at different things. Bring back attributes, and skill requirements for guilds, and exclusive either or content. This stuff all used to be easy enough to mod in, but with their assumptions about how the game is to be played now, it’s getting progressively harder to do. I spent the better part of two evenings trying to mod in a simple class system, and just adding features like variable weapon attack speed and movement speed, things that were super basic and varied from character to character before, are now rather difficult to do. Putting requirements to enter the Thieves Guild, or at the very least prevent it from being foisted upon every single character that enters Riften is difficult to do elegantly without having access to voice acting, because of assumptions Bethesda are making about how the game is to be played.

I love the Elder Scrolls series, I’ve been a big fan since Daggerfall, and have sunk countless hours into each one, but I’m really worried about some core design ideologies that are present in Skyrim, and really hoping they get reversed in the future. One of my favorite parts of these games is make a character, and inhabiting that character in this world. That’s becoming harder and harder to do with each game, and it has reached its, I hope, height with Skyrim, because I don’t want to even think about how much more they can streamline out character creation for TESVI

12. Neurotic says:

Lots of unhappy voices there. Huh.

• Jesse L says:

I kind of wish there was a button for My Post Will Be Whiny and/or Entirely Negative, that posters used it with total honesty, and that I could skip all those posts.

Not that I want to prevent honest discussion. There’s just no reason for me to read those posts. If you’re posting just to say “I don’t like this,” that may be good therapy for you, but it doesn’t do anything for me except bring me down that tiny bit. At least throw in some kind of useful observation or humor, like the RPS guys do.

13. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Summerset Isle Capital City DLC in the vein of Tribunal, I beg you Bethesda!

Also the patch is somewhat a mixed bag, while it addresses certain LOD-loading problems, others have emerged.

AmateurScience says:

I really enjoyed my time with Darksiders. Such a well put together game!

15. Phantoon says:

You’re wanting gameplay instead of content.

Though I can’t say Fable 2 had either.

16. Drinking with Skeletons says:

The comment about mods made me think: how do patches affect them? I don’t have any mods that affect combat animations, but I do have one (that I made myself) that alters some of the magic-related perks. Will I need to update it? Resubscribe to the (relatively few) other mods I use?

• Shooop says:

I don’t think it will. This is a mod for animations and the camera best I can tell. Worst case scenario you can just uncheck one of the plugins or uninstall the mod with Nexus Mod Manager.

17. Mokes says:

SUPLEXES AND PILEDRIVERS? OH BABY!

• deadly.by.design says:

Why did they bother to show all of those melee moves when unarmed is such an ineffective way to attack?

• Dominic White says:

Ineffective? This furious viking disagrees.

Hidden_7 says:

The problem with unarmed isn’t that it’s ineffective — it can be very effective — but that to be effective requires a complex set of skills and abilities. It’s not nearly as straightforward as other weapon skills. You basically need to be a Khajiit with a skill in enchanting, and heavy armour.

I don’t know why they removed unarmed as a skill. If they didn’t want to have it, that’s fine, but then don’t bother sort of supporting it. There’s a race that’s racial is being better at unarmed, there’s a perk in the game that makes unarmed better, there’s an enchantment in the game that makes unarmed better. Not to mention that they’ve got kill animations for it, and are adding even more? It just seems like a half measure. Either have it supported as a proper thing with a skill, or strip it down to basically nothing. Don’t add just enough to it to make people want to play unarmed, and then force a roundabout way on them to do so.

18. SketchyGalore says:

Surprising number of negative comments to this! I especially raise an eyebrow at the “development time well spent” sarcasm. What else do you do with your animation designers than come up with more animation? More importantly, this isn’t DLC! It’s FREE! And we’re PC gamers, anything we don’t like is a setting or a mod away from being fixed anyway.

I, for one, can’t wait for some over-the-top slow-mo bandit slaughter!

• The Hammer says:

Plus, the patch fixes a bunch of bugs. Not whole sacks of them, but still.

• mondomau says:

And people wonder why PC gamers are easily stereotyped as whinging and ungrateful.

19. Shooop says:

With these new finishers and the wonderfully nasty Crimson Tide mod I am suddenly very excited to play Skyrim again. Maybe having to uninstall it and delete my saves because my ini tweaking and mod installing went completely wrong somewhere wasn’t such a disaster after all.

Fellow bloodthirsty psychopaths-in-training check out the Crimson Tide mod here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12798

20. Blackcompany says:

Its free so I won’t complain. Also, it seemed to improve my FPS last night, albeit to a very miniscule degree. So slight it could have just been the area I was in (Falkreath).
    If Bethesda are really going to add in freebie content, I would very much like to see more RPG oriented stuff. Dialogue options, character backgrounds…choices and consequences. That sort of thing.
    But alas – and this is not a complaint, just a statement of fact – I truly believe any hint of RPG has left the Elder Scrolls series for well and true. Time to look elsewhere, for that, and hope.

• mondomau says:

By “a statement of fact”, I think you mean “a personal opinion”.

And don’t exaggerate, for the millionth time.

21. Pelikanol says:

Did they correct the goddamn melee kill cams when you climb onto the top of a dragon and hack repeatedly 2 feet away from his head. That looked pretty stupid.

22. deadly.by.design says:

Yay for no dragonette in this video. (also for ranged killcams)

23. Jesse L says:

I haven’t played for weeks, but I want to go back now and hand-to-hand/bow killcam everyone I see. Those Wrestlemania-esque bodyslams are awesome. And props to the trailer creator(s) for the great opening. Nice work.

24. buzzmong says:

I’m quite partial to kill cams, but only when they happen on enemies that are the last of a group, or singular, as I find they can be taxing after a while.

At least the Skyrim ones are not like BF3′s, which properly lock you out of the game for 15-20 seconds. Which is idiotic.

I do hope more of the Beth Soft Game Jam ideas come about, some were brilliant.

25. Shooop says:

Craig, even if you have lots of mods you should still be able to use the patch.

Worst case scenario you’ll just have to disable some plugins or mods that effect the patched content. With Skyrim’s built-in plugin manager and the Nexus Mod Manager this is very easy.