Idle Musing: The Joy Of Single-Serving Allies

By Jim Rossignol on March 16th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Friend for a day
Remember the bit in Fight Club where Ed Norton is sitting on a plane and he explains to the guy sitting next to him his theory of “single-serving friends”? Well, something similar is true in multiplayer games.

For many of us multiplayer gaming is thing to be enjoyed with regular, repeat-use friends, but there’s also that grey area of playing on public servers and co-operating with people you have never met before and might never see again. There’s a sort of unique joy to that. I can’t think of another medium where spontaneous co-operation is facilitated and expected to this degree, except maybe sitting next to someone on a plane… Or is that just spontaneous toleration? Anyway.

Since the dawn of the gaming internet, we’ve been able to play team games online with randoms from across the world. This phenomenon came to popular attention – and more pertinently to teenage Jim Rossignol’s attention – during the era in which FPS games started to go online en masse. Suddenly, you were playing capture the flag or team deathmatch with total randoms, and it was a joy. I can remember my first ever encounter with another person on a Quake server. He explained about clans, but said I wasn’t welcome to join his, because I was rubbish.

Before long, though, I was getting better, but still organised team stuff was far from my mind, because there was a whole chaotic sea of public servers to explore. Brief alliances in team games came and went, but it wasn’t long before game designs were formalising these gibbing partnerships. The game that seems defining of players helping each other out – doing more than allowing them all to shoot at the enemy – was Team Fortress. The original Team Fortress’ great vision was in allowing players to complement each other with more than just their raw point and click skill. They had abilities they could use to aid each other. They were designed to work as parts of a whole. Combine this with servers around the world that you might only play on for a single evening, and the single-serving allies of multiplayer gaming became a daily reality.

The classic single-serving friendship of our current time is probably to be found in the long-anticipated sequel to that early class-based outing, with Team Fortress 2. Today medics are supporting pyros and heavies without a second thought. It’s happening right now, and they’re probably mostly total strangers. Of course many names become familiar after extended play on public servers, but that’s almost incidental to the way this is designed. TF2′s support features allow us to go buddying up and finding useful allies almost as soon as we enter the game. The structure of the game facilitates it: this is how you are meant to play, and when you discover a player who seems to see things how you see them, and plays as you intended to play, then a temporary, beautiful symbiosis is born.

Of course it doesn’t have to be a class-based game that this takes place in – the FPS mode I’ve put by far the most hours into is Quake III’s capture the flag mode, and the frequency with which even totally unfamiliar players would quickly find their natural roles within an impromptu public games amazed me. So often I would find myself supporting a flag carrier who was clearly a bit better at the whole escaping business than me. Or, if I was in my favoured defence position, it always pleased me to partner with a player who would sit slightly forward on the map, covering midfield. It amused me to see them pootling back every so often. “It’s okay, dude, I am still here.”

Nor is this kind of temporary alliance limited to shooters: MMOs are a classic example of this sort of thing. Eve’s sandbox saw plenty of fights where people would randomly intervene in conflict – saving people from attack by pirates, and that sort of thing. Having another band of unknown supers join for City Of Heroes’ big bad appearances in the shared world was quite the thing – to the point where the public event has become of the of the key features of the most recent generations of MMO.

Sometimes these people are gone, disappearing into the game. Other times, though, they stick around, and vital, unexpected alliances spring up.

And I suppose that brings us to the ultimate point of this stuff: sometimes the guy sitting next to you on the plane isn’t just a random guy you impress with your wit. He’s a crazyman who will help you set up a fight club. Although most of the time – even though you can’t see him – there’s nothing virtual about it.

, , , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

There really is something wonderful about this phenomenon. The same can also be said of nemesisss (oh christ how do I spell multiple nemesis). I recently had a very enjoyable Team DM of Tribes Ascend where myself and someone from the opposing team would repeatedly find ourselves having one on one battles without actively looking for one another.

Keymonk says:

Nemeses!

lasikbear says:

I was about to post the same thing. I have had so many nice experiences with short term nemeses in Tribes.

JB says:

I love it when I’m playing TF2 and the whole nemesis thing occurs. And then the teams get shuffled and you and your erstwhile nemesis are now fighting shoulder to shoulder. And the real arse-kicking begins.

• Metonymy says:

This is precisely the reason why WoW Battlegrounds were a numerical success, and arena only attracted a small percentage of the population. The requirement to form a group to play was simply terrible design.

Anyway, good write-up.

2. rockman29 says:

This is so common in DoTA, because you HAVE to communicate with your teammates. Even if you hate your pub-game team so much, you still have to respond to their actions and communicate in some form to play your own game.

With DoTA, I either hate my team with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, or I feel pleasantly surprised my team is communicating politely and is using their hero effectively to make our team more than the sum of its parts. Then there’s those in-between-ers where your team is unresponsive and/or is playing for the first time and there’s nothing else to be said or done.

The bad thing about this in DoTA is that you have to finish a game round or you face being penalized for leaving games prematurely (luckily this is sometimes not the case if another player on either team leaves before you do, but you will still face a loss in your record if your team loses or all your team leaves the game first). If you get a bad team or just players with bad attitudes, you are stuck with them for the next thirty to fifty minutes.

• Smeghead says:

I suspect that your last sentence helps breed that sense of contempt for your team mates. DotA games are such a snowball that many times you can tell the direction of the game from the first few minutes, yet you need to stick around for over 10x that length of time to see the game end.

When your team jives and the opposing team is competent, the game shines like no other.

• felix6 says:

Yes, but there’s also so many times still that u think the game is over after 5 min but it turns out you are wrong, or your team thinks the fight is over but your effort pays off and you end up with the victory.
        But yes. Dota is flawed in the sense that your are stuck with your teammates even if you want them or not… sometimes you even realize in team selection “oh snap, this games gonna be a roller-coaster”.

I got my fingers crossed sins of a dark age is gonna be awesome and have some magic cure for this ;)

liquidsoap89 says:

This is the issue I’ve come up against in my few matches in the DOTA 2 beta. Since I’m a newb to the MOBA series, my teammates have been abandoning ship within the first 10 minutes when they notice somebody (probably me most of the time) isn’t an allstar, even when just playing bot matches.

I remember being incredibly frustrated in my first 2 matches, because half my team would leave within 10 minutes, leaving me to try and learn the ropes against bots that would slowly but surely defeat us.

But man, that first game where the whole team stayed, and I got my first few kills… That was such an awesome feeling! I never really jived with MOBA’s before (basically because of everything I’ve just explained), but the feeling I got after seeing a victory, and actually CONTRIBUTING to that victory, was one of the best multiplayer moments I’ve had in a long time!

3. Stevostin says:

“For many of us multiplayer gaming is thing to be enjoyed with regular, repeat-use friends”

Many, possibly, but how much ? To play with friends you need to have some available when you are (and owning the same game). In my experience, if you have 20 (that’s a lot) owning 50% of your games (that’s a lot), and you have the wish to play a certain game in multi one day upon ten, you neede to have on those 10 guys 1 available and willing to do the same at that time.

Guess what : it just doesn’t happen, most of the time. If there’s one, you’re lucky, two is just rare. So most of the time what really happen is that you join a pool way too large to be “friends” (it’s just “the guild”, “the group”, etc). And in that group you end up noticing (if lucky) someone playing roughly the same thing at the same time. And this person can become a partner in game and sometimes it’s just a great great way to make new friends, but its… rare… really rare. At least in my experience.

That’s why with real teams you mostly end up with the LAN logic : people really committed to play together. They meet because of a place, either virtual (a MMO) or real (a web cafe, a school), and the fact that the place helps them to define a common goal. But those people, again, they’re not (at least at start) your friends or buddy. They’re not really different than someone you chat with on a public server. They just want the same thing you do, at the same time.

All of this to say : the core multiplayer experience for the vast majority of gamers (even on wow) is public games with unknown people. Team experience is just not something related to the market. It’s an esport thing, a nice addition, but it’s the exotic thing for most gamers.

That being said, I could add playing with real friend is rarely fun. Either there is a schedule issue, or that’s skill, and at best they don’t have any special quality that make them better to play with than regular public server goon. You want good multi ? Poker Star. Look : no friend, no guild, no BS. Just clic play and have guaranteed fun on a public game. Myself ? I enjoy sniping like a whore on TF2. Is it better or worth with a friend on the map ? No difference to me. What’s good is competent team mates. Unless you choose your friends on that basis (and why not ?), they won’t shine especially here ^^

• rockman29 says:

I think I agree with you. For myself, I have plenty of friends I talk to often on Steam, but I have about two that I ever actually play games with, and only one game (Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield) at that. Random games and playing with random players seems to be the norm I think as well.

Oddly enough, the ‘random’ people I play Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield with are consistently the same people every time, based on the server I join. The population playing the game is so small, yet SO dedicated… it is truly amazing. I have relationships with several people I only ever see through Raven Shield, and it is a blast to play a challenging, co-operative game with them :)

• blackjackshelak says:

I know for myself, that I have a HUGE list of “friends” and belong to multiple groups on Steam, but yet I often find myself playing with a very small group of those people, and not nearly on a regular basis. The fact that schedules and moods differ so much between people is always going to be a barrier for anybody that isn’t actually part of a “team”. Most of the people on my friends list were added because they were fun to play with. Admittedly, that requires a certain level of competency from them, but that’s mainly to avoid the frustration of hand-holding the funniest guy on the server. Being “fun” and being “fun to play with” only differ when it comes to a player’s level of competency.

Recently I’ve kind of fallen into a habit of ONLY playing with that small group of people however, and I’m trying to break myself of that trend. Not playing with random people deprives you of the chance to make NEW friends, and you lose so many potentially fun experiences. My natural preference for team-based or co-op styled games makes those meetings all the more common, so both the article and your comment certainly struck a few chords with me.

Wisq says:

It’s dead easy to go from “playing with complete strangers” to “playing with friends” without even changing the people you play with. Just pick a good server and keep playing there a long time, ideally with voice comms enabled.

Player bonding works particularly well during those lulls when the server is extremely low on players and you start to do a lot of one-on-one with some of the more dedicated server-goers, especially if you break out some of the more fun impromptu game modes, like melee-only. (No, don’t demand this, just start going at them with melee. If they’re at all worth hanging out with, they’ll get the idea and do the same.)

As long as you’re a fun-loving type and perhaps just a bit wacky (standing out helps), you’ll find that you and the like-minded peeps tend to gravitate towards each other. You’ll get to know them, and then you’ll get to know their friends who also play there that you never knew about. Before you know it, you’ll have a hundreds-long friends list, be following those friends into other games, making friends by proxy, and never without them online.

Or maybe that was all just a fluke because I’m a complete nutter who hangs out on nutty places. YMMV.

• Reapy says:

When i was younger i had core groups of people i would play for certain types, and those types wpuld transfer genera depending where they originated, ie a fps group would try fps or action games, mmo guys maybe rts or other mmos etc. As i get older though it just gets harder and harder to play with a regular schedule or even that often, which makes it twice as hard to find regular teammates. Most of those people, either rl friends or net only friends have scattered off to various games or have kids or just arent into gaming as much.

Still, nothing tops the moment you get friends playing the same game with the same furvor…but once the game you play comes into question, you lose the magic. Some may play the new one picked, but if they dont have that independant drive to play too, it isnt the same. Its like when an online clan guild squad etc after everyone gets bored of the game, you all wan t to play together, but cant settle on a game…wrecks everything.

Really though i always want to play with regular people, but its so hard with limited time in a game and weird irregular hours to meet people playing that share similar outlooks on how we play. Most of the time spent online for me is going to be pubfest…which really meant i spent a loooong time in singleplayer, cuase pub never tops a good team. It took an extreem addiction to a game to get me back online(warband) otherwise it had been a good 10 year break.

4. deadpan says:

The class-based shooter where i first saw this phenomenon at work was Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Within a minute of joining a public server you could identify the people who just wanted to fuck around, those that wanted to do one single-minded task (endlessly mortar a bottleneck, snipe at one door), and the 3 or 4 people who gelled really well and wordlessly formed a balanced squad to win the round. It was always satisfying when a pickup team like that stomped a team loaded with clan tags.

5. Koozer says:

Aah I remember all those times in Battlefield 1942/2142, attempting to sneak around to lonely flags with an impromptu fellow infiltrator, bouncing along the desert plains in a jeep.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

I’m actually upset that artillery doesn’t play a large role in the later Battlefield games- my absolute favorite thing to do was get in one of the big guns and have small scouting parties like your own feed me targets.

6. Askeladd says:

So what happens when I join a Clan/Guild/Whatever?
    Choosing to support your guildmates over that stranger in that public game will lead to splitting the team spirit.
    And then there are the loners that just don’t care.
    Admittedly in the case of TF2 those things matter less.

7. kochanneo says:

I had this when I was playing WoW, I’d quit for a while, and then go back knowing nobody. After a while I’d build up a whole list of people I knew could play well, and for me it basically replaced a guild, I could always log on and find somebody within a few minutes. Then I’d quit again and discard them all.

There were also those people you’d meet while grinding, I remember running around for a couple of hours with one guy, getting an exploration achievement, several weeks later he spotted me again and invited me to his guild. Or you’d notice people levelling up at the same rate as you, going through the same dungeons.

That was what I enjoyed most about the game, really…

8. Smeghead says:

And then there are the times that you move to a location to best aid your team and support the role they seem to have deemed theirs, only to turn around and find that all your team mates decided to ignore their position/role and followed you like mindless lemmings.

The number of times team mates will put extraordinary effort to fill the niche you are trying find within the team is simply astounding.

I have no qualms with bad players(everyone starts out as a noob at some point), it is the player that needs to expend effort to unknowingly subvert his team that baffles me.

9. noom says:

This brings my time with L4D to my mind more than anything. Those rare games where you found yourself with a friendly team of competent players as well as, importantly, a competent team of friendly opponents, were always the best.

Shame that the increasingly juvenile and bitchy community eventually forced me to give up. That and the overwhelming number of people I ended up playing with seemed to be French. Nothing at all against the French – lovely people I’m sure – but it’s harder to stay involved in a game where everybody else is speaking a different language than you.

10. Yargh says:

And now we have Guild Wars 2, which is explicitely designed to be played this way.

11. Sweedums says:

My most memorable experiences of this spontaneous co-oporation with randomers are in Project Reality. That game seems to enforce and thrive on it. So many times i have been genuinely disappointed to find out one of my squad mates has had to go for dinner, and leave us to it. So many times I have wished, when joining a new server, that i could be back in *that* squad, with those guys whose real names I don’t even know…

Then i join a new squad, and find myself not wanting to leave…

• Snuffy the Evil says:

My goodness, yes. If there is a single game that embodies the sentiment in this article, it would be Project Reality.

Especially on the 128 player tests- there’s nothing quite like seeing five dozen people yelling at each other over Mumble while still working for a singular purpose.

• CPLDANABD says:

I can’t agree more, since in Australia there was only ever 2 servers max that got a decent number of people on them after about two years, most of the guys on the server were pretty familiar names but there was still this sense of spontaneous camaraderie every time I joined a squad, its a pity I don’t really have the time to play PR anymore as it truly is an incredible game(I don’t think “mod” really does it justice, considering how far removed it is from vanilla BF2)

12. McCool says:

One thing I’ve always told people about TF2 (and Heavy players reading this will know I am right), is that TF2 is essentially a glorified dating sim to people playing Heavy. Success and failure largely relies on finding a good medic, and persuading him to follow you about.

• Skabooga says:

And my heart breaks when the medic leaves me for another heavy, or even worse, a soldier.

• Lilliput King says:

Or when you spot they’re using a kritzkrieg.

That’s a dealbreaker ladies!

• arroiz says:

I have at times killed a Medic/Heavy couple without a medic myself. But again, they might be really bad at that.

• LionsPhil says:

I have found that the Quick-Fix makes me a highly promiscuous medic, just giving out my healing to anyone who runs past with a sucking chest wound.

Gap Gen says:

RPS is a great place to find a community. I’ve passed many a pleasant hour riding up to RPS people on a little pixel horse, typing THERE IS NO TIME THERE IS NO TIME and riding away. And then everything crashes.

14. Paul B says:

Takes me back to games of Counter-strike played over NTL cable (before it became Virgin Media) back in the early 00′s. We had one player/housemate who was so rubbish that we used him as Cannon Fodder to lure the good players (or campers) out into the open before taking their scalps. This was made easier because we were all on Voice Comms, while we played against those on public servers.

He never seemed to improve and didn’t seem to mind his job, so he kept that role whenever we played. Seems there’s always a role for Cannon Fodder in online games.

15. grundus says:

This is why I like Alien Swarm and to a much lesser extent, BF3 so much. Oh, and Killing Floor. I only know two people on my Steam friends list (it’s admittedly not very long) and the rest are people I’ve added from Killing Floor and Alien Swarm, and it’s much the same story with my BF3 friend list.

It’s just so much fun when you get into a game with people with a sense of humour as much as ability, I mean you play to have fun and it’s possible to have fun and lose if you laugh while doing so, I’ve had hilarious text chat conversations in all three of those games. Well, they were hilarious at the time, but out of context wouldn’t be funny in the slightest.

I really want to try Arma II online with some RPS folk, but I only have OA and BAF, no mods or anything. I might look into how I can join a game or something, even though I still can’t get within 600 metres of an AI without dying.

• Caleb367 says:

Eh, me too on Arma2. I suck. *sigh*

Btw, I did find some major fun in World of Tanks some time ago – sure, the vast majority of skirmishes degraded quickly into everyone-for-himself slug fests, but every now and then I would find people who silently played like a team. As in, we’ll cover the plains from this hedge row with our tank destroyers, you with the artillery will stay back and provide fire support for the heavies, and that dude with the T-34 runs security by making sure no one sneaks behind our backs. And all of this without anyone saying anything – it just felt like the correct thing to do.

• sinister agent says:

I only have OA and BAF, no mods or anything

I don’t even have BAF, but I can and still do play with the RPS people. It’s a good time. Best thing is just to hang around in the steam chat room and join when they’re playing (regularly, demi-’proper’ sessions on a tuesday evening, with another more serious (though only relatively) session on Sundays), or ask around when they’re not – lots of impromptu sessions happen if enough people are about.

If you’re not confident about your skills, trust me, it’s fine. I couldn’t even do basic navigation or shoot worth a damn when I started, but I just followed someone round and tried to watch their back. Now I’m almost vaguely competent, and it’s lots of fun. I even shot someone who wasn’t on my side once.

Gap Gen says:

Sounds like you need to kill them from 700m or more, then.

16. pigchicken says:

I always found that Bad Company 2 was the one for me. When a squad starts working in unison to their strengths, and a natural order is reached you become unstoppable, clearing entire swathes of map. Although I’ve increasingly found in order to achieve this I have to adopt the support role myself and just doggedly follow my team mates as the reverse is so rare to find.

17. JackDandy says:

When I encounter bros on Tribes Ascend’s pubs, it’s always a magnificent feeling.

Through the VGS system, you can communicate with them and develop some cooperative tactics.

Most of the time pubs consist of idiots though, so that’s too bad.

DrScuttles says:

I’m part of the RPS steam group, but are there dedicated TF2 servers?

• airtekh says:

I haven’t played TF2 in a while, but the last time I checked, the RPS TF2 server was offline.

The IP address is/was 85.236.100.200:27015

Other RPS servers of note can be found here.

Lambchops says:

Beyond a few forays into UT and UTk4′s multiplayer modes (which I enjoyed largely because I didn’t have to be much of a team player) I’ve only really enjoyed multiplayer when I lived with a few friends and we could set up games on LAN across the two adjacent flats we occupied. Then there were some epic games, my favourite being SWAT IV which we played both co-op and competitively.

Though beyond that and a couple of other exceptions most of our multiplayer gaming was on a variety of consoles (PS3, Wii and our venerable SNES) because ultimately competitive gaming is so much more fun when everyone is in the same room. Actually same goes for co-op too, Army of Two, for instance, was an average game made so much more fun by mocking each other for our ineptitude/coming up with amazing tactics to win the game.

20. GoodPatton says:

As a BF3 fan, and in particular, a chopper freak, I love finding someone else who can fly / gun well and is on the same wavelength as me. I doubt I’ll ever get a mic, but after some of the great text chats, I sometimes consider buying one, just for these great random encounters.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Yeah, I was thinking this applies to BF3 a lot. I’m more of an infantry on the ground kinda guy, but that joy when you drop into a random squad and you all just click, and silently work together as a team is wonderful. Of course 9 times out of 10, with random squads, everyone’s off doing their own thing, but when the squad works it’s great.

• GoodPatton says:

Definitely. I also love finding one squad mate that you really get on with but the other guys are off doing their thing, then after a while of doing really well the other squad mates come around and start helping out. I always get a little “I knew you’d be back” smug.

RedViv says:

I love being the Team Mom myself. There is great joy in finding success through proxy.

22. Davie says:

The one guy I’ve never met in real life but talk to regularly I met on a TF2 server. There were maybe six of us, and we teamed up, and I’d go knock guys into the air with my rockets and he’d snipe them before they hit the ground. That was three years ago and I still talk to him over Steam several times a month.

This is one of my favorite series on RPS, by the way.

WeeMadAndo says:

A big shout out to F.L.O.T.F.W. who came in as a rando to make numbers (we could only rally 7) for a BFBC2 SDM match and left dearer in all our hearts after several of the greatest hours of that game ever played. Hope your kid is doing well – you are remembered fondly.

24. Radiant says:

Everybody loves a slave.
    Me? I LOVE THE DAKADAKADAKA.

25. Persus-9 says:

This is one of the things I miss about World of Warcraft. I actually found public groups on the battlegrounds to be quite fun. Sure many of them were lousy at team play but there was always a core interested in cooperation and there was generally a lot of good to be done by what might be called lone wolf team play, doing what it good for the team whether the team realises wants you too or not. Playing ‘lock and working as a backward defense in Arathi Basin, generally dying but getting a few dots on the attacker and warning the team first. Disrupting enemy movement in Warsong Gulch so their flag carrier or flag defenders end up running in circles for several seconds ended up being decisive in so many plays every match. I can’t understand why so many people said it sucked, sure the team play on both sides sucked but the game was actually really good and I can’t imagine it would be better if it were more clinical and everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing.

26. SpinX_911 says:

Farming Simulator is all I will say. 3 of my buddies and me started playing it for real….and that feel when your farm grows, and you earn enough cash to buy another tractor is so…thrilling!

Yes, I am a freak.

27. Docslapper says:

But for every single-serving ally there seems to be about 50 single-serving dickheads. I’ve actually given up playing online with strangers because of the sheer rudeness and gratuitous nastiness.
    It seems basic politeness and courtesy is interpreted as weakness or ‘noobishness’. Every game seems to have at least one self-opinionated wanker who decides that they’re in charge and every other player is a n00b that needs to be shouted at.
    WoW pugs and bg’s were the epitome of this. I tanked a lot, I played from launch so had some experience with the role, and yet every other pug seemed to contain some idiot that knew far better than me how to tank. And pretty much every BG would have some idiot sat in the spawn room shouting that we were all idiots and we didn’t know what we were doing.
    I don’t really understand why people feel entitled to behave like this online. Apart from John Gabriel’s Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory of course.

28. Duke of Chutney says:

if it hasnt already been mentioned, Natural Selection and the currently in beta and looking damn good Natural Selection 2 are both games that are real exponents of single serving allies, even commanders since one player, whom you may never have met gives your orders down his mic

29. psaldorn says:

Planetside

30. Fumarole says:

And sometimes you have such a good time that you friend them in Steam, and play together often even though they’re thousands of miles away. Then, when they change jobs and move into your area you hang out in meatspace and continue the good times like you’ve known each other forever.

31. Bungle says:

This was two years ago – the very first day of the Bad Company 2 beta on the PC. I had been playing with my friends all afternoon and was already competent.

There was a new player next to me. He obviously had just gotten in the game and was still figuring out the controls. I looked at him and pressed Q, which made my guy shout, “I need ammo!”

He obviously didn’t know how to give me ammo so I showed him by switching from my pistol to my rifle. Then from my rifle to my med pack. He realized what I was doing and switched from his pistol to his rifle to his ammo box. I could almost see the gears turning in his avatar’s head. It was beautiful cooperation between two strangers who didn’t even have VOIP to talk with. I will always remember that moment.

32. Nasser says:

One of my recent experiences with this was in BF3. Joined a random squad and fortunately the leader was was actually leading. We were capping points, covering each other, resupplying, healing, it was a glorious few minutes.

33. fsdgfdhfg says:

==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====
    hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,
    please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;
    Service is our Lift.
    enjoy yourself.
    thank you!!
    ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====

34. leafbarrett says:

I had an experience like this recently on TF2. 2Fort, instant respawn, 30 players. Me and 3 other guys were playing Engie, and one of them started building his stuff down just before the front lines. Another guy joined him, and soon they had a sentry guarding each door, a teleporter to right there, and two dispensers keeping them supplied. Then they started advancing. Move the sentry up a little, stand their ground. Move the sentry up a little, hold fast. The dispenser they were bringing up got destroyed, so I jumped right in as soon as they asked for a new one. At that point, the other guy got in on it too. Soon we were a gang of engies that had walked a teleporter, two sentries, and a dispenser right up to the front of the BLU doors. It was spectacular. Moments like that are what stick with me.