Latest Indie Royale Boasts Hard Reset, Vertex Dispenser

By Jim Rossignol on March 16th, 2012 at 7:47 am.

Indie Royale’s St Patrick’s Day Bundle includes the “old school” FPS Hard Reset, the awesome abstract 3D action puzzle game Vertex Dispenser, as well as Jolly Rover and DLC Quest. The current average is £3.19, with just over four days left. Paying over the average also bags you this Nintendo-inspired soundtrack.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Memph says:

Bought for Hard Reset, which i’d probably have already splurged on by now if only it had co-op. Already had JR from a Steam pack, doubt i’ll even touch the rest. Just jemmy them somewhere into the murky fathoms of uninstalled backlog.

• Gnoupi says:

DLC Quest is very short, but cute satire on DLC. Nothing extraordinary, but there are worse ways to spend one hour.

• Memph says:

Not to be rude to it, it being a cute idea, but I kind of got the feeling i’d seen all there was to see from the trailer. 2D throwaway indie stuff rarely entices me, unless it looks at least as good as something I can throw on Mame.

• ProtoApex says:

I beat it and got all of the achievements except one in 30 minutes :/

• RegisteredUser says:

I’m quietly hoping they add the extended edition of Hard Reset, aka the actual game.

Bought it regardless to show support for a great attempt at classic FPS.

• elfbarf says:

How exactly do you even get the Extended Edition anyways? I found a few articles mentioning it being released at retail a few days ago but haven’t seen anything for the downloadable versions. I could’ve sworn I read about it being a free update several months ago but I could be completely wrong about that.

• RegisteredUser says:

Good question, I’ve only seen it announced for retail.
          I’m still waiting on word from the devs about how this will all go down and am hoping the IR pack gets updated as well.

• Matt says:

The developer stated that it will be released as a purchasable DLC on Steam, but they’re not sure how soon that will happen.

2. Valvarexart says:

So is there any reason to get this when I already have Hard Reset? Doesn’t really look like it to me…

• MattM says:

Jolly Rover was pretty fun. It is a very traditional point and click adventure that avoids any super awful puzzles. It isn’t a unmissable gem though.

• phlebas says:

A comedy adventure game about pirates? It’ll never catch on.
        (already got Jolly Rover, quite enjoyed it. Had been meaning to get Vertex Dispenser anyway, and DLC Quest sounds fun. Old-school FPS seems a bit of a waste of a decent cyberpunky setting, so Hard Reset doesn’t push my buttons so much. I’ll probably give it a try at some point, but not expecting it to compare to EYE)

3. groovychainsaw says:

I quite enjoyed the ‘lair of the evildoer’ bonus. Its basically a mashup of twin stick shooter and roguelike. It’s not too challenging, and checkpoints you at the start of each level (which I’m sure is against the roguelike code) but I enjoyed it, at least, gave me a couple of hours of entertainment. DLC quest isn’t bad either, short, nicely weighted platforming with a sense of humour. I got my £3 worth without even looking at the 2 games that seem most interesting :-)

4. Crazy Horse says:

I’m not sure there is any point in getting Hard Reset if I’ve already shelled out for Serious Sam. Looks like the same sort of experience except without the campy humour and far far less serious. Seriously.

• Dominic White says:

It’s a very, very different game. Hard Reset is more like Quake 2 with a clever weapon system, while Serious Sam is all about open-plain meatgrinder battles.

• Gnoupi says:

Having played both, Hard Reset feels better to me. No reloading, and the feeling that you can actually avoid damage by jumping around (while it’s also throwing a lot of things at you).

It actually feels much more “no cover, all man”, than Serious Sam 3. In HR, you can actually avoid things coming at you. I haven’t had hitscan enemies yet, as opposed to Serious Sam 3, which threw lot of them since the beginning. So in the end, I was spending all my time with Sam hiding behind a corner.

Not to say that HR feels easy, or even fair. Things ramming at you are coming often, and you do feel your weapon a bit underpowered, compared to the size of some enemies and the time required to kill them. Though I’m not really far in the campaign so far.

• Crazy Horse says:

Well, you’ve convinced me to give Hard Reset a try.

I’ll agree that the hitscan ememies did not feel at all right in Serious Sam. It did get alot right though, particularly around the end. That final level where you make your way down a long canyon firing cannon and almost infinite rockets at the hordes was easily the most fun I’ve had with an FPS in many years.

• RegisteredUser says:

Hard Reset is definitely worth 3-5 EUR to play an afternoon away and has quality despite limited budget.

I recommend getting the “real gun” shotgun instead of the energy parallel btw(I wish I had never invested in that weird energy spray gun), it will save you a LOT of grief from the swarms. Rocket Launcher and Energy Railgun are the go-to upper tier stuff.

• LionsPhil says:

Hard Reset is not half as “oldschool” as it thinks it is. The protagonist is slow (with horrid blurry sprints once in a while), can’t jump worth a damn, strafes like he’s wading through treacle, and can’t crouch even though he’d easily fit under lots of things if he could. The maps are also peppered with invisible walls because they do not want you to do speedrun-esque tricks. It’s very, very on rails, moreso than simply being linear, which plenty of classic shooters have been.

But at least the cutscenes are only inbetween levels, and you may as well just hit escape unless you like watching fist-chewingly-bad nonsense. The actual shootiness isn’t too bad but don’t go in expecting Quake or DOOM or Duke Nukem 3D or UT99. Or even Sanctum (rocket jumping wheeeee).

• RegisteredUser says:

You can actually disable the blurryness/narrowing during sprint.

• LionsPhil says:

You can, and I did, but as a design decision it’s there by default and isn’t really very “old school” to penalise rapid movement in that way, since in an “old school” shooter you should be moving rapidly all the time, while shooting (which you can’t do while sprinting either way).

5. Crimsoneer says:

Vertex Dispenser is actually meant to be something of a gem everybody missed out on.

6. ninjapirate says:

Thanks for pointing this out, Jim!

7. nothingfaced says:

Had some of this solely for Hard Reset. Too good a price not to get involved with really…

8. MichaelPalin says:

I heard a rumor recently that Desura would start selling games without requiring to use their client to install and play. Anybody knows something about this?

9. trjp says:

In danger of saying “oh no not another bundle” but there’s ANOTHER bundle coming too

I can’t help thinking “Indie FacePalm” would have been a better choice tho – and it’s spensive compared to the usual (good thing? bad thing?? who knows???)

and then there’s another one after that too

Will it never end?

• RegisteredUser says:

Is there a central bundle-watch blog/twitter?

I would not mind RPS spending more time promoting these in general.

• JFS says:

There is a bundle watch thread in the RPS forum – “The march of indie bundles in March” or something like that. Can’t miss it ;)

• alms says:

Hey that’s my thread :D Been doing my best to keep it updated but judging from the reactions the forum goers aren’t really that interested in the minor bundles.

There’s a bundle tracking account on twitter but I haven’t found much use for it, eventually unfollowed it.

I have been thinking about starting a little blog/tumblr/whatever for bundles, to assist in making buy decisions. Wonder if that would have more luck…

• 3lbFlax says:

There’s a Google spreadsheet here, which I almost certainly found in an previous RPS thread:

You can subscribe to it through RSS in the usual way.

• InternetBatman says:

Both of those look more interesting than this one. Although you have to wonder who thought a techno remix of the Cranberries would be a good idea.

• jrodman says:

The great thing about that http://indie.gamingallthetime.com/ is that you can pre-order it before they even tell you what games are going to be in it. WHAT?

Oh wait, it’s on the page. In the tiniest text ever.

“Booster Trooper, Dead Horde, Sol Survivor, Avencast, Runespell, Still Life 2, PAM, Greed: Black Border”

10. deadly.by.design says:

I’m just like you guys… I bought it for Hard Reset. And maybe that Vertex game. (and maybe 5 mins of DLC Quest)

11. Drazilek says:

I am a sheep, like everyone else, the bundle was bought for Hard Reset. I cant believe the release passed me by, must have been when I was living in Norway. lol

However, I will be making sure I give the other games a go too. Indie for the win!

12. jrodman says:

I bought Jolly Rover for its own sake over a year ago. I wasn’t disappointed.

it’s not amazing, but it’s good. I enjoyed myself. If you really want to be stumped like Day of the Tentacle, you may be disappointed. I quite enjoyed that most of the puzzles made good sense, but some required a moderate amount of lateral thinking.

The characters kind of did it for me.

Comment on this story