Two Hundred And Sixty-Five Seconds Of Grim Dawn

By Jim Rossignol on March 16th, 2012 at 7:15 pm.

Diablo III’s landing in May might have made the biggest tremors in the release schedule, but there’s still every reason to keep an eye on the beautiful, sinister dungeon-crawler, Grim Dawn. I tell you, after this interview, there are few games I am looking forward to as much. The latest trailer shows the Occultist class in action. It’s looking more intense than I’d imagined, and I suspect Crate are going to nail this one.

, .

1. Renevent says:

Looks fantastic! Honestly I’m looking forward to Grim Dawn just a wee bit more than Diablo3…especially after playing the D3 beta.

• Nova says:

Exactly, after playing the Diablo 3 beta I’m all of a sudden even more interested in Grim Dawn.

2. jrodman says:

I ‘ordered’ this one already, to support crate’s endeavors. I’m much more satisfied with Titan Quest than I ever was with diablo (or torchlight). I think they can make it happen.

• Premium User Badge Andy_Panthro says:

I also pre-ordered ages ago.

Looking good so far, I’m looking forward to playing it.

• Grubblik says:

I realise that this may be heresy but I actually think Titan Quest is a better game than Diablo II… it just seems more a more rounded hack’n'slah and I love both games to pieces. I’m going to grab Grim Dawn as soon as I can, however I’m still put off D3 for all the DRM shenanigans that are part of it’s package.

• chackosan says:

Don’t think it’s really heresy, considering how TQ was released quite a while after D2, so they had plenty of time to see the things that Blizzard did wrong and try to amend them. Most of the good ideas from TQ were inspired by Diablo, with a few cool new twists (class combos, etc) implemented. Plus, thanks to being handcrafted, the backgrounds looked better to me. D2′s randomised levels hurt it a bit in that regard.

3. Mordsung says:

I’m really glad this game is coming out as I do have the desire to play D3 but I can’t justify supporting ActiBlizzard’s anti-gamer business practices anymore. This will allow me the best of both worlds.

The Blizzard I loved died with the Vivendi merger, and then it’s corpse was eaten by Activision.

• Premium User Badge Keymonk says:

There is also Torchlight.

• Mordsung says:

Torchlight looks good, but I’m more into the whole grimdark setting of D1 and D2 and this game.

• Smeghead says:

I’ve been waiting for a Path of Exile key for over a year now. I go to sleep and sob into my pillow every night.

4. zergrush says:

Wow, it looks pretty great! Pre-ordered it a long time ago, am happy to see how well the project’s going.

5. caddyB says:

What was the name of that online only diablo style game?

on topic: it is looking good. on my radar now. thanks RPS.

6. bwion says:

Of all the Diablo-alike games out there, I think Titan Quest is probably the best of the lot. It’s certainly the one I keep going back to time and time again. So yes, I am really looking forward to this.

7. Drinking with Skeletons says:

This looks a lot more colorful and lively than the early (drab, sterile) screens. When is the release?

8. Freud says:

No purples?

9. ahmedaak88 says:

remind me a little of the anime hellsing which make me exited . thou the gun feel some how weak

10. Jesse L says:

From that earlier interview:

“I mean no disrespect in saying this, but [Bethesda's] games are sort of complex, clunky, and often rife with imbalance and exploit. The very sort of imbalances and exploits that I delight in discovering and abusing but not the sort that are so bad they ruin the game. They are the sort of complex but loose systems that leave the player wondering how far they can push the limits of what is possible, and where there are no hard caps obviously and arbitrarily restricting what they can do. I sometimes wonder whether this sort of thing is intentional or not. I certainly add some deliberate measure of this in my games where I can get away with it.”

These words speak to my soul, and find answer there.

11. Jason Moyer says:

Looking forward much more to Grim Dawn (and, to a lesser extent, Torchlight II) than I am to Diablo III, which I probably won’t play.

12. SirKicksalot says:

Can’t see shit, captain. I like the speed and the exploding doors though.

13. engion3 says:

titan quest was one of the easiest games i have ever played.

14. Flint says:

I really love the fact that with Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 you’ve not only got loads of click/kill/loot-fests coming up in the near future (which is a delight for a fan of the genre), but they all do things a little bit differently and you’ve got a lovely variety of gameplay and stylistic/graphical differences.

15. pusheax says:

Pre-alpha means that game is not nearly done.
    They do not have enough money to complete it so they seek visibility through sites like rps.
    Kickstarter is even discussed on the forum. Although as someone pointed out it would be unfair to those who already preordered. Moreover once D3 and possibly Torchlight 2 come out the chance to fund the game would be even lower.

• yerkyerk says:

It’s not a fan-funded project, they fund it mostly out of their own pocket. They accepted money from fans because most of them were either eager to see a spiritual successor to Titan Quest or wanted to support Grim Dawn because they got so much out of Titan Quest. Anyway, that means they don’t need any money, but it’s still welcome, as it’ll give them more resources to create the game.

I don’t think they seek visibility through RPS, rather that RPS seeks them. And updates like this are to keep in touch with the fans and show what they’ve got so far, not to raise new funds, although I’m sure they welcome new funds.

16. profane says:

Looks slightly mundane. But anyway the big question is how they loot, which TQ totally botched. The beauty of D2 was the loot. I don’t understand how it’s so easy to screw up. Like a hotel kitchen putting a new recipe on the hamburger…

17. Gnoupi says:

This year will be RSI’s year, or will not be.

18. Miltrivd says:

Don’t forget Lineage Eternal, dunno when will come out, but it actually looks pretty interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdbdsFgNGI&feature=player_detailpage#t=260s

I’m a bit worried about the development of Grim Dawn, but glad to see it’s still alive. As many, I won’t get D3, it would be like playing stuff from EA, Activision or Ubisoft (Rainman Origins doesn’t count, since it has no DRM).

Torchlight II is at the very top of my list tho. Freaking nice year for ARPG!

19. radioactivez0r says:

That might have just sold me on contributing, and I’m not even sure why. Maybe a backlash against the Diablo single player MMO.

20. daronicus says:

It’s cool and pretty, but with all the action, half the time I lose the character, not to mention I can’t tell what any of the monsters look like. Say what you will about Diablo 3′s art style, but at least I can tell what’s going on.

It still looks pretty darn fun, but I think they need to work on readability a little bit. Man, dungeon crawlers are having a major resurgence lately.

• Drazilek says:

Personally I don’t have an issue with the ‘lose my character’ as it’s in a fixed spot on the screen, unlike on HoN when I always lose track, but then I am a nab at the game.

The game is looking really good so far, gritty. grimy and full of the darkness I love in games. The fact they’ve also stated the game will probably be hostile to casual gamers puts a smile on my face, here’s hoping to getting your arse kicked, I hope.

It’ll be interesting what they meant by ‘Harder Difficulty’, as in will it be like Easy, Normal, Hard, or progressive like D2. After playing the D3 beta recently and how dumbed down it is, this could be the one for me.

21. adammtlx says:

I’m just hoping Diablo 3 is good enough to satisfy me until Grim Dawn.

22. esoltys says:

Preordered this in January 2010, so I’m very glad to see any progress.

23. Urthman says:

I love how this looks. At the same time I hope they have some areas with daylight as well, because Titan Quest had some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets of any game I’ve played. They really nailed that “golden hour” lighting at dusk and dawn.

24. fallingmagpie says:

Time to Crate?

• Laephis says:

Hard to tell exactly what’s going on, but looks like it has a StC of 44 seconds which puts it on par with System Shock 2

25. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

They can take as long as they want to finish that game with the money I gave them, as long as it turns out to be at least as good as TQ. Have stupidly spent coin for less worthy goals.

Will still play D3 and Torchlight 2. Variety, spice, and such.

26. stone says:

Take
    My
    Money!!

27. Tokamak says:

Looks better than I expected, wow. Especially those animations in comparison to Diablo 3′s sometimes jerky ones – and a rotateable camera to boot!

28. noodlecake says:

It doesn’t look as pretty or as visually interesting as Diablo 3 and I’m not fond of the art style very much. I’m gonna watch this space anyway. Could be a fun game though! I really want to play torchlight 2 now.

29. fsdgfdhfg says:

==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====
    hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,
    please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;
    Service is our Lift.
    enjoy yourself.
    thank you!!
    ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====

30. Xzi says:

The UI is god-awful, but I imagine that will be improved upon in time. What I don’t understand is why this game looks far brighter than Diablo 3 when it was supposed to be the alternative to Blizzard’s supposed “cheery” changes to the atmosphere. Having played the D3 beta, they managed to make it look a lot darker and…more grim than Grim Dawn looks in this video.

That said, I’m sure I’ll give all three games (D3, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn) a fair shake. I’m pretty sure Diablo 3 will end up being the most polished of the three, despite the fact that there are several other issues with it that I have complained about in the past.