Your Invite To Tonight’s Gaming BAFTAs

By Craig Pearson on March 16th, 2012 at 6:45 pm.

Are you winking at me?
Are you eager to see people from the games industry in clothes that don’t look like they’ve been put through the ‘grey and rumpled’ cycle of the washing machine? Because this is your chance! Tonight is the industry BAFTA awards, and even if you weren’t invited (AHEM!) you can still join in the crushing disappointments and the victorious thrills by observing the livestream. This year it’s once again being hosted by Irish joke-talker Dara O Briain, and it’s expected Notch will be there to pick up his BAFTA Special Award in Persson. Ahem.

Gaming luminaries, like Craig Fairbrass (?) and, er, Charlotte Jackson (…) will be handing out the odd, shiny face things. There are two places to see the gold faces being handed out: IGN and BAFTA. And to prepare, here’s BAFTA’s very own video. Make sure you use the correct hashtag: to do otherwise would bring shame upon your people.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Novotny says:

Is that a cover of a Gossip tune?

2. Flukie says:

Sponsored by who? Oh that company that closed down #CommentFromTheFuture

• The Tupper says:

Indeed. The fee required by the host and award presenters such as Jonathan Ross will, I imagine, have been formidable. A relative of mine worked, for several years, as a production accountant with the BBC and Ross was being paid almost 300K for hosting thirteen 25 minute editions of the Film Programme.

3. engion3 says:

I’d rather have a beer.

4. Unaco says:

Dunno who Charlotte Jackson is, but to be fair to Craig Fairbrass, he has done voicework for all 3 Modern Warfare games. And he was in the FarCry movie.

Also, the “Gaming BAFTAs”? Could they not have come up with a decent pun on the name, like the SHAFTAs?

• Johnny Lizard says:

And I’m Too Sexy was a great song, no matter what anyone says.

• Unaco says:

I wasn’t meaning he was the best of best or that… just that he does have some connection to Vidya games, and some of the biggest games over the last few years at that (might not like them, but can’t deny CODMWn have been pretty f*cking huge). Unlike Charlotte Jackson.

5. champignonen says:

I call this gaming awards serious bullshit, for not having The Witcher 2 nominated in ANY of the catogeries…..jeez at least have it in the story catergory, it was clearly the best game of this year.

6. D says:

Bastion wasn’t even nominated for original music. LA Noire had music?
    /award

7. elfbarf says:

The BAFTA awards are more of a joke than the VGAs.

8. Lewie Procter says:

So I’m on the BAFTA youth board, and I’ve been tasked with providing (constructive) feedback for how to improve the game awards for next year.

I’d love to hear what you lot have got to say.

• elfbarf says:

My main issue is with the nominees, there are quite a few critically acclaimed games that aren’t nominated for anything. The main one that sticks out is The Witcher 2, which I’m assuming isn’t present due to being a PC exclusive. I was also a bit surprised by the lack of voice acting/music nominations for Bastion which were arguably the best parts of the game. That and AAA games seem to be nominated in random categories just for the hell of it (Uncharted 3 for best story? Really?).

One of the more offensive categories was mobile/handheld, which only featured a single game from an actual handheld console. There were quite a few excellent games released for PSP/DS/3DS during 2011, did no one on the committee play them? Also I’m not really sure of why Peggle was there, I can’t think of any platform that didn’t have a Peggle game until 2011.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Some of the nominees are picked a tad oddly. Like last night’s nominees for best “Strategy” game:

Dark Souls
      Deus Ex: Human Revolution
      Football Manager 2012
      From Dust
      Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
      Total War: SHOGUN 2

I was only too relieved that Shogun 2 won, seeing as only one of the other titles can rightly be called a strategy game.

• bill says:

Have Patrick Moore on a big screen throughout the entire show.

Oh, and also what people above and below said.

• D says:

Only one nomination per title. Ie. Skyrim nominated for best game, and nothing else. Portal 2 for best story and nothing else. Avoid this “LA Noire for EVERYTHING”, it really makes the show an utter bore to watch. Pick the best element of each great game and nominate them for only that. The time honored tradition of triple A awards ceremonies has never really worked imo, get them to switch it up some. Kudos if you manage to improve it :)

• SiHy_ says:

I may be reading too much into it but I guess one of my concerns is that you’re head of the BAFTA ‘youth board’.
      EDIT: Also, it’s sponsored by a dying retailer which kind of sends out a bit of a bad perseption of the industry.

• Lewie Procter says:

Gosh, I’m not head of the board, I’m just one of the members, and it’s for people age 18-25, which I just fit in.

More about the board here:

• SiHy_ says:

Oh, so it’s comprised of youth members? I thought it was aimed at determining the demands of the youth audience, which, considering the average age of a game player is probably mid-20s, I would have taken umbrage at. Honour is satisfied, sir.
          But as I’m here, perhaps BAFTA could look at the less-than-AAA titles. It’s the indie game market that truely represents games as an artform. AAA games solely represent the Hollywood action movie equivilent of the film industry. They’re not bad by any means, just they can be a bit shallow.

9. The Tupper says:

The problem with big gaming awards ceremonies is that they invariably follow a structure which was originated by the Oscars and subsequently adopted for other media. While it may work for other 20th century artforms such as music and TV (which are based as much upon glamour, fashion and personality as talent), it jars when imposed on video games.

The more razzle-dazzle the presentation gets, the more its roots as a trade event for dedicated, talented (but tragically unphotogenic) technicians begin to show.

• bill says:

This is totally true, but I slightly understand why they do it. they want games to be judged on an equal level with movies/books/etc…
      I personally think they should do something their own style, to highlight the real good points of gaming. But then they’d feel they weren’t getting equal recognition… and also we all know how hard it is to make gaming look interesting on TV.

10. nblake42 says:

Is that BAFTA in the top image crying?

11. fsdgfdhfg says:

==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====
    hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,