+1 Vs Infinity: Me Against The Mutants

By Alec Meer on March 19th, 2012 at 2:45 pm.

To Infinity and beyond, as long as it isn't more than about 700 pixels wide

One of many 7-Day Roguelikes created for this year’s challenge (which Mr Smith will be presenting a more fulsome guide to in the not-too-distant), free browser-based game-ette Me Against The Mutants further complicates the risk of perma-death with the concept of ‘Infinities.’ Either you’re trapped in a repeating angular vortex or you need to create one of your own in order to get the drop on dangerous enemies. Drag a square and anything it will be replicated to fill the screen – including you.

One moment you control one Rogue, the next you’re controlling dozens, moving in perfect synchronicity but, once you’ve passed through the psychological barrier of ‘oh God what the hell’s going on I can’t control infinite men my brain hurts aaaargh’ offers fiendish ways to gang up on powerful foes. Infinities also enable you to access otherwise closed-off areas, by temporarily replacing solid walls with replicas of what’s beyond them.

Oh man, I’ve made a right pig’s ear of describing this. Someone else have a go. Or just play the thing, it’s proper clever.

Via Freeindiegam.es, a worthy new project from Terry Cavanagh which I’m a little jealous of. If only we could use Infinities to clone RPS’ staff, then we could be doing similar here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. haowan says:

Hooray for Terry’s new site, I say. Hooray!

P.S. Doesn’t fulsome mean horrid?

• westyfield says:

Wiktionary defines it thusly:
      “1. Offensive to good taste, tactless, overzealous, excessive.
      2. Excessively flattering (connoting insincerity).
      3. Abundant, copious.
      4. Fully developed, mature.

It also says this: “The meaning has evolved from an original positive connotation “abundant” to a neutral “plump” to a negative “overfed”. In modern usage it can take on any of these inflections. Common usage tends toward the negative connotation, and using fulsome in the sense of abundant, copious, or mature may lead to confusion without contextual prompts.”

So in answer to your question, yes. But also no.

• Shadowcat says:

I have never in my life heard fulsome used for anything other than plentyful, generous or abundant.

“Offensive to good taste”?! WTF.

2. Cellusious says:

It’s a really nice game made by RatkingEntertainment.

And SHOULD visit their page for more awesome games: http://ratking.de/

Rouge like of the year, better than MineCrap of whatever.

3. Terry Cavanagh says:

It took me a while to work this out, but if you trap enemies in infinities, you can attack them from the outside and they can’t hurt you. I think that’s the key to beating this!

4. The First Door says:

I’m not entirely sure I quite understand anything which is happening in this game… especially when you seem to end up inside multiple infinities. Still, it is very enjoyable confusion!

• haowan says:

If you are inside a non-yours infinity, use an infinity dissolver to dissolve it.

• The First Door says:

Right you are! Still managed to go into one without a dissolver though while I was running away from something trying to kill me… Then I just seemed stuck with an infinite amount of my own stupidity.

5. phanatic62 says:

Wow, took me a couple of tries to figure out how to get into the building. Still confusing, but a very interesting and unique take on the genre. Unfortunately I can’t stay alive anywhere near long enough to actually accomplish anything, but I guess that’s what makes it a roguelike!

6. Hodge says:

This is brilliant.

7. AshEnke says:

Just finished the game.
    I still didn’t understand anything.
    But it sucked 2 hours of my life away.

Let’s get back to it.

8. Geen says:

OH GOD MY MIND-*head explodes*

9. Creaturemagic says:

Pretty genius concept, and I am having a lot of fun :)

10. britzl says:

The full list of successful (and failed 7DRL entries) can be found here: http://peeksandpokes.blogspot.se/2012/03/2012-7drl-competition-summary.html

11. undead dolphin hacker says:

Great idea, terrible game.

12. olpolpolpolp says: