BAFTAs 2012: Portal 2 Takes The Prize

By Andrew Smee on March 19th, 2012 at 11:23 am.

Man, that is one creepy little gold face.

The British Academy Video Game Awards took place on Friday night and Portal 2 was awarded highest honours, taking home little gold faces not only for Best Game, but also for Story and Design. Congratulations to Valve, who by this point must be making plans to put up some new shelves of award-bearing load strength. The popular vote went to Battlefield 3, which also won awards for Online Multiplayer and Audio Achievement.

The full list is celebrating after the jump.

Action: Batman: Arkham City
Performer: Mark Hamill, The Joker in Batman: Arkham City
Sports/Fitness: Kinect Sports 2
Story: Portal 2
Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
BAFTA Ones to Watch Award: Tick Tock Toys
GAME Award of 2011: Battlefield 3

Peggle HD’s Mobile award has got to be worth at least 2.5 Peggles. Maybe even three.

I was initially surprised to see Skyrim go home empty-handed, though looking again more closely at the categories I now find myself hard pressed to find one it would have been possible to make a strong argument for, outside of Best Game. Perhaps Original Music, though even there I would have preferred Deus Ex HR winning, and it was a real shame Bastion didn’t even see a nomination for its wonderful soundtrack.

Still, it was a great night for the medium, with games befitting of the awards given. Here’s to the next year of award-worthy gaming.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Squire says:

Shouldn’t the headline be “BAVGAs 2012: Portal 2 Takes The Prize”?

• Adam Smith says:

I say BAGFAT (British Academy of Games, Film And Television) Awards.

• Squire says:

Indeed its official Games are as recognised as Film & TV now, same level of respect, maybe.

Seriously though, what the hell is Tick Tock Toys?

• Lewie Procter says:

The “T” stands for Televisual, and I think games are just included in that.

• RoboGeek says:

the games nominated for the one to watch award were the 3 overall winners from dare to be digital, the game itself is an ipad puzzle game where a robot called “tick tock” walks though a level and you have to move toys that are blocking his way using diffrent mechanics. out of the 3 games nominated it was definatly the best and was really fun to play

2. Gemberkoekje says:

I’ve played Peggle HD on my IPad last week, and I must say, it’s good. Peggle already was my personal favorite in the ‘casual’ kind of games, and proper physics and a few small improvements make this peggle the best I’ve played (I’ve also played a version on Android which was, well, shyte due to the physics being all off)

3. Casimir Effect says:

Shame there was nothing for The Witcher 2, Skyrim or DE: HR. All 3 are excellent games and TW2 especially deserves more recognition.

4. Drake Sigar says:

I was going to cry foul at the lack of an RPG award, but in the strictest sense they’re not genre related at all, or at least not in the way gamers would classify them.

• Kdansky says:

Oscars also don’t award by genre, and that’s good. Because let’s be honest here: Game-genres are absolutely messed up. Disgaea is a strategy game, but Final Fantasy an RPG? Skyrim is an RPG too, yet has nothing in common with FF, and Battlefield is an FPS (but not Skyrim!), but it has leveling up and exp and equipment choice, and classes, but it’s not an RPG? Bastion is a “Diablo-alike”? Binding of Isaac is a Rogue-like-like?

I refer to the great video ExtraCredits made on this topic.

• AmateurScience says:

I wonder if it would be better to categorise by budget or style rather than genre. Something equivalent to the way the oscars categorise by form like ‘documentary’, ‘short’, ‘animated’. Part of the problem is that games can be wildly different from each other (as you pointed out) even within (the increasingly irrelevant) genre categories that we currently have.

• bill says:

Genres are probably needed more for games, even if they can sometimes be hard to classify. Movie genres are story genres, but basically all movies work the same mechanically. Game genres are more about mechanics, and it’s harder to compare games of different genres to each other.

Given that games don’t tend to feature much in the way of high-profile directors or stars, If we took out genres, we’d have very few awards. Best game. Best music. Best graphics. Best story. Short ceremony.

• Cinnamon says:

Seldom is the question asked, “what is a real RPG?”

5. Njordsk says:

Proof you need hats to win.

DX clearly lacked hats.

6. Flukie says:

I love Dara O Brian but he was pretty awful at the BAFTAs honestly.

7. AmateurScience says:

This is the kind of awards ceremony the game industry needs, not the Spike TV VGA-teabag-fest. Add a few more technical categories and flesh out the ‘genre’ categories a bit and this could be just the ticket.

EDIT: would be nice to see a few industry types giving out awards along with the actors and ‘celebrities’ though.

• matnym says:

I always find the Spike awards to be embarrassing. They’re just trying too hard. It reminds me of MTV and how they try to be “hip” or “down” or “sphincter” or whatever with the teeeenz. All that’s missing is a baseball cap on backwards, shouting and lame beat music.

8. Mungrul says:

I’m surprised Nolan North or Steve Blum didn’t win “Best Performer” due to simple volume of work done, but it’s great to see Mark Skywalker winning instead. His Joker is the definitive version for me.

9. Delusibeta says:

Off the general topic of this forum, but: Peggle HD? Winning the Handheld prize? Really? No offence to PopCap, but Peggle isn’t exactly a new concept and if Peggle HD turns out to be an iPad port of the original (I don’t know, I haven’t checked), it really should not be getting any prizes.

10. GiantRaven says:

The Audio Achievement and Original Music winners were definitely great choices that deserve the recognition for their respective areas.

11. Phantoon says:

People pay attention to BAFTA?

It’s as bad as the SpikeTV VGAs.

12. FhnuZoag says:

The winners seem reasonable. (which is more than you can say for certain other videogame award shows…) I was surprised to see Deus Ex: Human Revolution nominated for ‘Strategy’ however. Good thing Shogun 2 won!

13. Aardvarkk says:

Bastion is the only game that I’ve bought the soundtrack for, really excellent music.

14. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

Bastion was indeed unjustly overlooked. I was glad to see Dead Space 2 get a nomination in audio design. Love or hate those games, the excellence of their sound design should be acknowledged.

15. DOLBYdigital says:

This is a decent list in my opinion although I do agree some games were missed. Glad to see Rayman Origins in there, the art style is very good and unique. Also glad to see Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet :)

16. Shuck says:

So let’s see, how many of these games aren’t sequels… oh.

• TODD says:

I, too, find it completely impossible to enjoy any game featuring a colon or number in its title.

• Shuck says:

Don’t get me wrong – I have nothing against sequels, but it seems to indicate something about the health of the industry when almost every game that gets recognition is a sequel to something else…

17. Kaira- says:

No Dark Souls makes me mighty sad.