Looking Fine: Trine 2 Expansion

By Adam Smith on March 19th, 2012 at 9:35 am.

A still of a desert with a better sense of scale than entire games set in deserts

Give it a name already, Frozenbyte, so I don’t have to refer to it as ‘expansion’ or ‘DLC’. I’m going for the former because it reminds me of the good old days, as do Frozenbyte themselves. Why am I posting about this gain so soon, having already written about the new areas, new plotline and new abilities? Because there’s a short video showing some environments and short videos showing Trine environments are among my favourite things in the world. Prettier than all the other game-pretties would be if they were baked up together in a pretty little pie, Trine 2 has the kind of world I’d gladly adventure in and then stick around to have a picnic.

Somewhere along the line, I seem to remember thinking this is how Fable would look.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gnoupi says:

“Trine 2 has the kind of world I’d gladly adventure in and then stick around to have a picnic.”

And get goblin blood all over my sandwich? No thanks.

2. Flukie says:

Really enjoyed this game, even if the conclusion felt a little rushed.

• Gnoupi says:

At least it was less “rushed” than the one from the first game.
      The first Trine’s end level was a bit the equivalent of DX:HR’s boss fights: you spend the whole game playing one way, solving puzzles, fighting enemies, but without being particularly in hurry. It didn’t require a lot of platformer skills either.

And the last level, suddenly, it’s a “climb before the lava gets you, while the bad guy throws things at you”. It was a reasonable level, to be honest, for a classic platformer. But Trine is more a puzzle than a platformer, so it was weird.

In Trine 2, at least, they made the last level to be something to solve on a puzzle way, more than actual fighting or jumping around, in stress.

• Sinderlin says:

The first Trine’s last level felt like Psychonauts all over again.

3. Kdansky says:

I WANT CHEST-HIGH WALLS AND BROWN CORRIDORS!!!111one

4. skalpadda says:

More Trine makes me happy :)

5. Turbobutts says:

All I have to say is YES!

6. Bassem says:

I bought copies of Trine 2 for several of my friends, and we played a little, and then they got distracted. I should show them this video and shake them a little so we can continue playing. I told myself I wouldn’t play it as a single player.