Patchman: Arkham Fixy

By Alec Meer on March 20th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

here he comes to very belatedly save the daaaay

As roughly 50% of the emails to the wheezing RPS inboxotron over the last week will attest to, Rocksteady and Warner have not exactly displayed willing enthusiasm when it comes to the PC edition of Batman: Arkham City. A long- and mysteriously-delayed launch followed by DirectX 11 performance that was about as smooth as stinging nettle moonshine, then the final insult of the eventual patch screwing up many folks’ savegames despite leaving many of the initial problems unresolved. And then, silence. Months-long silence.

Our own attempts at establishing just what the flipping fudge was going on came to naught, which made the torrent of increasingly florid complaint emails we were copied in on all the more distressing. Now, finally, Rocksteady have put out a patch. It claims to fix all the right things, which you can find below. Let us know here if it has or hasn’t worked. Also, whether or not you’re wearing any manner of headgear right now. We’re always interested in that.

THE LIST:

Occurences of Save File Corruption
Achievement re-locking issues
Crossfire/SLI Issues: graphical flickering, FPS improvements when running crossfire
Instances of 32-bit memory problems
Penguin’s accent has been adjusted to West Indian
Improvements to performance in cut-scenes and death taunts
Error messages removed when patching the game and improved patching process

Hooray for that, hopefully. It’s all yours if you let the game auto-update via Steam. All being well, that frees our inbox up to be filled by more nutters accusing John of taking bribes from EA. Never become a games journalist, etc.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gemberkoekje says:

Beavis: “he said Torrent. he. hehehe. hehe.”

2. Anguy says:

I’m wearing one of those hats with a little propeller on top

3. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Let’s see how it goes without steam …

4. ArtyFishal says:

Phew, finally a fix for the Penguin’s accent. (Wearing a nightcap.)

• mopajiuw says:

Wow!This stuff is really cool!
      Celluon Magic Cube Laser Projection Keyboard http://segue.se/xrF
      I will not buy the next Batman game at day one for full price, that is for sure.

5. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Is anyone still playing this?

Lars Westergren says:

Oh yes. Excellent game. And I will replay it next time I upgrade my computer.

PoulWrist says:

Haven’t played it yet. So more patches please.

• HothMonster says:

Technically I am since GFWL ate my save file twice but no, no I am not. I hear something cool happens at the end though but I will never find out because never has a game tried so actively to keep me from beating it.

• royale says:

I must’ve gotten very lucky, even finished the new game+ without running into any problems. (Although I played the game with Physx off because it would cause terrible terrible FPS issues in certain areas.) I’m doing the challenge maps and campaigns now and I can say definitely there is an improvement in loading times during the death taunts. Which is very nice because you see those *a lot* when going for 3 stars.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Hmm yes I forgot about the challenge maps. Maybe I will return to it at some point.

• Outsider says:

Yes, unfortauntely I am, after 40 hours my save game corrupted. I’m playing through a new game after taking some time off from it.

• Ragnar says:

I have yet to play it, but I will, so this is good news to me.

6. Aemony says:

Nice, seems that I can finally get around to play this one. Have been residing in my Steam library since before the release unplayed all because of that annoying save corruption issue. Glad to see it resolved.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Hopefully steam cloud works now but i doubt it.

8. mjig says:

Wait, what do they mean by “Penguin’s accent has been adjusted to West Indian”?

New VA? New recordings?

Any videos of this?

Lars Westergren says:

That was probably just a joke. I think?

I liked his accent, but Brits found it a poor imitation I heard. What was it supposed to be though – cockney?

• Vagrant says:

You can’t just patch an accent, can you? I want to patch an accent…

• mjig says:

I thought it was supposed to be fake and cheesy sounding, like a bad imitation of an old timey dastardly villain.

I am an American so I guess I am not as sensitive to bad British accents. On a side note, I just realized it’s impossible to do a bad American accent.

• The Tupper says:

Ewan McGregor does a terrible American accent.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Sarah Pailin does a bad american accent. Meanwhile, Julianne Moore does a wonderful Sarah Pailin accent.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Well, watching Alec’s link, it sounds like cockney to me. I’m American as well, so I could be off. The Penguin’s family is from Newcastle, but I don’t remember if he himself actually was. Nor do I know what a typical Newcastle accent is like, as accents do vary in different regions. A noticeable example being how distinctly different Liverpudlian accents are (The Beatles) from the more typical accent of someone like Total Biscuit..

Cockney tends to be viewed as a “working class” accent, kind of like how southern accents tends to denote rednecks. The gruff accent works, I guess, to help give the Penguin a bit more of a menacing tone, but Cobblepot was designed to look like a British gentleman. It just seems odd to have someone all classed up but speaking in a slang-tinted accent. It’d be like Bil Gates talking as if he grew up on the streets of Compton.

If they were looking for gruff, they should have mimicked Danny Devito’s voice, IMO.

• Arithon says:

The accent was pure “Dick Van Dyke” i.e. nothing resembling English, except to Americans (apparently). Try Maggie Gylenhall’s accent in Nanny McFee 2 (not sinister, but at least passing believable).
          If you want “cockney” then try Vinnie Jones (Juggernaut in X-men 3) THAT is what a cockney sounds like, since he is from north London (Watford), which is at least the same town, if not the east end.
          There’s nothing more annoying than a crap fake accent. Be it American or English. I hate the film and junk food adverts on TV which fell compelled to add a deep voiced American accented voice-over, when clearly the person doing it is English and sounds fake.
          Want to know what an English accent SHOULD sound like? Watch Star Trek TNG – Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) is from Yorkshire.

• Dreforian says:

Even though his character (Picard) and its family are all from France. Maybe the UK finally took over the mainland for good in the last 300~ years?

• Ragnar says:

Maybe that’s why they use such fake accents, to make it obvious that the person is supposed to be speaking with an English accent, even when they’re not? Because in my mind I always thought of Captain Picard as French, because of his name. And when I saw Emma Thompson on a Daily Show interview, I didn’t realize she was speaking with a Brittish accent until she switched to an American accent. But Americans have been so conditioned to hear Dick Van Dyke and thing Brittish, that hearing the Penguin voice immediately made me think “Oh, he’s supposed to be Brittish.”

But it also makes me wonder why they bothered. I mean, he’s never described as Brittish in the comics, as far as I know, so why slap a fake English accent on him?

• The Tupper says:

I haven’t played Arkham City, but the high/low watermark for cockerknee accents is still, surely, Don Cheadle in Ocean’s 11?

9. Akatsuki says:

Am I the only one who was disappointed with the ending of this game?

AmateurScience says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• suibhne says:

I haven’t “finished” the game because I got bored with the post-ending Catwoman sequence back in the Museum. I may be in a minority here, but I find her to be rather, well, pedestrian compared to Batman. She doesn’t have enough cool stuff to compensate for the lack of gadgets.

I also got to a point where the rampant collectivitis of the game’s cheevos was just too much.

• Akatsuki says:

Well, that’s what I meant by finished, after the batman-joker stuff is over, catwoman bits doesn’t have enough oomph left to keep me playing. And I was heavily disappointed by the way the joker bit ended. I was kind of waiting for Joker to jump back, like “Surprise Bats!”

• Shooop says:

She’s horrible to play as. Almost no defense against gun-wielding thugs.

• Soup says:

Not at all. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the game, but besides the whole premise being ridiculous, Strange’s ‘master plan’ at the end was beyond stupid.

• woodsey says:

Yep. The Joker plotline actually had some balls, which the first game’s story seriously lacked.

10. VeteranGunner says:

So weird I was just thinking about this game so I went onto the Arkham City website to see if they had put out another patch and read a tweet about a recent patch with a link to this page………

11. andytizer says:

There’s a whole bunch of other fixes for Arkham City here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_City

12. Dominic White says:

Doesn’t the game patch via Games For WIndows Live? Y’know, the PC wing of Xbox Live? Where if a developer wants to patch even a small downloadable game, they have to pay $40,000 in fees direct to MS?

Does that apply for PC games? Because at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft were trying to extort money out of PC devs for the privilege of supporting their own games.

It would explain why:
    A: They were so reticent to release a quick hotfix
    B: It took so long even when they thought they had it finalized

• Benny says:

If it is patched through GFWL then yes they have to pay microsoft to certify it before release.

I believe this was the main reason Dawn Of War 2 took so long to get simple patches out and also the reason Relic decided to drop GFWL when they released Retribution.

• stupid_mcgee says:

You’re correct. The certification requirement was an issue for Relic, and it remains to be an issue for certain developers. Relic also liked the enhanced set of features that Steam has and its ease of implementation. They also noted that having GfWL and Steam was redundant and that Steam provided a better fit for their needs than GfWL.

• HothMonster says:

I certainly hope not since the(maybe A) saved game bug was caused by GFWL. Though MS may consider that a service, “You know they will need to buy costume packs to slug through the game a 5th time,” and charge extra for it.

Basically the saved game problem was caused because for some stupid reason you saved game file was encrypted with a key that was tied to another encrypted code attached to a cookie you get when you log into GFWL. I imagine rocksteady trying to work with the GFWL people was slowing the process down, of course why they just didn’t do the smart thing and remove the stupid fucking encryption from a single player game. But I guess the integrity of the achievement system is more important than people actually being able to finish the game.

• Dominic White says:

If Microsoft do charge for certification on PC games, too, then this is almost certainly why Rocksteady went silent, and the patch was delayed. Silent, because Microsoft don’t appreciate people talking about their patch-tax racket (it was only just recently confirmed, as Tim Schaefer seems to have just about given up on the 360 and doesn’t seem to mind burning bridges), and delayed, because Rocksteady almost certainly have just one shot at this, and if they don’t fix every issue all at once with this patch, it’s unlikely that the publisher would bankroll certification on another.

If a small XBLA game costs $40,000 to patch, then a much larger retail release probably has a much higher price-tag attached.

It’s rather bizarre. We all need Microsoft OS’s to play PC games, but Microsoft seem hell-bent on damaging PC gaming beyond repair.

• HothMonster says:

” their patch-tax racket (it was only just recently confirmed, as Tim Schaefer seems to have just about given up on the 360 and doesn’t seem to mind burning bridges)”

I thought this was public knowledge since TF2 came out for the 360, and never got updated.

• Dominic White says:

We knew it cost money to certify stuff, but $40,000 per patch for a $10 downloadable game? Yeah, that was news.

• jon_hill987 says:

No, not quite, that didn’t get the updates because Valve said it was a patch and Microsoft said it was DLC as it had extra maps and therefore could not be free. Or something.

• MultiVaC says:

Is this really true? I know GFWL is bad, but this is on a whole different level. I just find it hard to believe there would be any developer stupid enough to use it knowing this. It’s understandable on Xbox since they are forced into it, but if this is true it seems like only a complete idiot would even consider GFWL over any of the PC alternatives. It sounds like a really bizarre situation.

• Dominic White says:

True as true can be, at least on the 360. Microsoft, in tueur infinite benevolence, give devs one ‘free’ patch slot. Anything beyond that means ponying up a huge amount of money, only some of which would be required for the cert process. A lot of it really is just extortion.

I’ve heard MS fanboys say that it’s to encourage more polished, less buggy games. A Fail Tax, if you will. Problem is that it also stops developers stone dead if they want to release free content.

Sounds like you have to pay for cert on the PC, too. I’d imagine it’s a publisher-level decision.

13. Iskariot says:

It is a nice game although I was somewhat, no…. I was terribly disappointed by the flat main storyline that already had ended when I expected at least several hours more of it.

At 50 % of the game the main story line had already ended and most (at least 75% of the game consisted of endless joker and riddler puzzles. Although fun in the beginning, after having done 2 trillion of them I got quite annoyed and bored. I felt time-wise the game was more a 3d puzzler than an action game. The side missions were quite flat and uninspired too.

But still, the atmosphere, the action, the animation and the gadgets were high quality. And alternately being able to play catwoman was very cool too.
    I would have wished the AI population of Arkham city would have acted like they had something to do instead of standing around and waiting for Batman to show up.

All in all I enjoyed the game, but if I had known beforehand I would have waited for it tot become somewhat cheaper. The setting of the game is cool, but they forgot to give Arkham City some real beefy content.

• Optimaximal says:

You do know that’s all the populace of Gotham have EVER done, right?

14. Dowr says:

So, uh… can I get this patch for the non-steam version as well?

15. Nitrium says:

Rocksteady went from an awesome developer that respected PC users to the other end of spectrum for me – a pretty rubbish one that doesn’t care much about its products. I’ll think twice before pre-ordering a game from them again. Better late than never I guess, but it was really a pretty disappointing experience having to wait four months for a patch.

• Brass_cankles says:

Not caring about the product is one thing (and one which they might not have too much control over as the DRM cocktail most likely was WB’s idea).

Not caring about the customers is something completely different, however, and it’s something Rocksteady absolutely excel at. I’ve been following the technical problems forum there for a while waiting for a patch, and I cannot recall a single developer being there. Instead one got a clueless community rep who’s only good at bringing empty promises.

The community is obviously a passionate one (and AFAIK, the save game problem wouldn’t have been solved if it weren’t for one of the users), and one that could have been a strong ally in the years to come.

16. SanguineAngel says:

Gramophone hat over here. Freaks out all my co-workers

Eric says:

Rocksteady was absolutely horrid about handling this – weeks of absolutely no communication on their official boards while people constantly asked what was going on, and then repeated claims of the patch “coming this week” or “almost out” with only vague apologies as those dates came and went without any real explanation of what was going on.

That said, with the new patch I can finally play Arkham City without the audio stuttering that was making it utterly impossible to enjoy before, so I suppose I’m grateful for that. Though being “grateful” that I can finally play the game I pre-ordered in October of last year is perhaps not the right response.

I am not currently wearing headgear.

18. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Only fixes Steam & 64 bit OS users issues nothing for 32 bit OS FPS or non steam versions of the game. Those patches are to follow later……….

Steamworks integration is what broke the saves for some. Rocksteady/WB Games decided GFWL+Steamworks+Securom was a good idea & Steamworks was added at the very last minute & broke the saves & achievements for many.

Rocksteady took over 4 months to fix the save games issue so not sure they should bother with the PC again as they have little goodwill left now having managed to flush most of Arkham Asylums away quite successfully with Arkham City. It was obvious to PC gamers (but not PC reviewers surprise surprise !!!) in November the PC SKU needed a lot more QA time.

Who to blame WB Games/Rocksteady or both???

19. Nick says:

My hat? It has three corners.

Lambchops says:

I do not have a hat but I am wearing a pair of prescription safety glasses which, if I accidentally wear in the street, make me look like I’ve stepped straight out of the 1980s.

21. ResonanceCascade says:

This was a terrible port. It’s uglier and runs worse than the first game (the first game had awesome high-res textures that are nowhere to be found here) and the UI is approaching Skyrim levels of inadequacy. Also, of the maybe ten times my computer has frozen to the point of needing a hard reset in the last two years, FIVE of them were caused by this game in just three hours of gameplay.

Plus, I’m kind of disappointed in the game itself. It’s definitely not bad, but Arkham Asylum was one of the best games I’ve played this gen, and this one sure aint. More isn’t always better.

22. Kablooie says:

Yet many other reasons why i won’t be buying this game until it hits the extreme bargain bin, if ever.

Wasn’t really that impressed with its predecessor, tho’ that was a just a matter of taste. I would great enjoy a Nolan movie inspired version.

23. Caleb367 says:

Just tried it: at least it now starts correctly in DX11 without crashing, too bad it still keeps changing my language to italian whenever I start the config up (I prefer the english version: I find the italian translation to be sloppy in writing and voicing).

24. Shortwave says:

Oddly and luckily enough, my system seemed to of spared me from all of this games woes.
    It’s always been running more than 60fps on highest settings and I’ve yet to have a save go missing.
    So I’ll say, I’ve been having a lot of fun with this game. I’m one of the filthy few it seems.
    Lucky I am.

25. Grape says:

Urrrgh. Can people stop talking about what they think about the GAME, and start talking about the fucking PATCH? Surely that’s what’s important, here?

26. olpolpolpolp says:

this stuff is very cool

27. Dhatz says:

Once tpb decides fuck that shit, the shit is fucked for good.