A Snippet Of Sniper Elite V2 Footage

By Craig Pearson on March 21st, 2012 at 10:32 am.

Please let there be an achievement for taking off his 'tache
I still don’t quite know if Sniper Elite V2 is as open and as stealthy as I’d like it to be. My hope is that it’s a bit like Hidden And Dangerous, just sniper-centric, but then I wake up every morning hoping for that game. This new walkthrough video shows one mission, trying to get an angle to snipe Müller, sliced into tiny chunks, so we’re left with little glimpses through the sniper’s scope rather than a complete picture. I want to know the choices made, the potential for the player to tell his own snipey story, but there’s not enough here. There’s some talk of recreating the places accurately, so it could be there’s enough open space to move around in, but until I know ‘ja’ or ‘nein’, I’m remaining snootily interested. I’ll have to wait for Brendan’s upcoming hands-on to know more.

The scoop on the pre-order DLC made me giggle, though: buy it before it’s out and you’ll get a mission to snipe Hitler.

So far there’s no firm PC release date. It’ll just be a few weeks after the console release on August.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

I do not understand what Charlie Chaplin ever did to earn so much hatred. He’s always depected as such a monster.

• Wang Tang says:

Well, he had a lot of doppelgangers, some of whom did unbelievably cruel things.
      They mostly looked more like him than himself – as you should know, “Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest in Monte Carlo and came in third”.

2. Inigo says:

His hair appears to be sculpted from clay.

3. Dominic White says:

The original Sniper Elite was more like the sniping-centric missions from Hitman, expanded into a full game. I’d imagine this will be much the same.

• Craig Pearson says:

All I remember is being forced into situations and the stealth being awkward and rubbish. It has so much potential.

• lurkalisk says:

Unfortunately, this doesn’t look all that different. The story also seems to be in no way compelling and historically quite weird, again.

Oh Rebellion, one good game might justify ten bad ones, the problem is, there’s always an eleventh…

4. BrightCandle says:

If you are going to do a game about sniping at the very least give the guy with the gun the tools to actually fire a long range shot. Its simple enough to give us wind estimation, wind adjustment and range elevation adjustment along with the telescopic sight. These were all common (all be it more basic than modern day adjustments) on sniper rifles of the day.

Even the portable MGs like the BAR had an adjustable iron sight and the rifles of the day certainly did. The rifles used are known for their impeccable straight sights accuracy as well. Right now Arma 2 is a much better simulation of sniping and has the massive completely customisable mission appeal as well as team play. I just can’t see how this adds in any way to the average FPS experience, what with all the close range fighting your way in and out of the objective.

5. velvetkevorkian says:

What is Daniel Craig doing with that fake moustache? Or is it just my imagination?

6. Astrosaur says:

I have low expectations for this. From the small amount I’ve seen, this looks to be very simplified. The heck is that red marker indicating exactl where your shot will land? That makes simulating bullet drop and wind entirely pointless! And the first footage showed him snapping out of cover and quick scoping someone. Looks rubbish so far.

• Novotny says:

I’d have to agree. I very much doubt they’ll take the time to make it work well on a pc, with mouse controls and the inherent finer control. It’s not as if you could play red orchestra well with an xbox controller.

7. Njordsk says:

ohh Hidden & dangerous 2, such an awesome game.

8. Khemm says:

I hope it plays like Death to Spies:Moment of Truth, which was an EXCELLENT Hitman-inspired game. Tons of freedom and ways to complete your objectives, open maps, no linearity.
    I like the Hidden and Dangerous suggestion, too.

The original Sniper Elite was a linear game, its design contradicted what a game about sniping should be about, I hope they’ve learnt from their mistakes.

9. tigershuffle says:

gotta love the simplicity of reason……shoot Hitler – end WW2

assassinate Bin Laden – end world terrorism ……why its soo crazy it just could work

…..oh it didnt ….damn it

sniping sim = dull game
    sniping ability in a CoD clone = been done before

• Khemm says:

Yep. Killing Hitler = Red Alert scenario, Stalin’s Red Army invades Europe again, this time even more powerful than in 1920.

• thenagus says:

I’m pretty sure I read the other day that the Allies considered a plan to assassinate Hitler, but decided against it on the grounds that whoever replaced him would almost certainly make better military decisions…

10. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Will you just look at that moustache-mapping!

11. Chris D says:

Trying to work out if I find Hitler moustaches unattractive because of:

A) The association with Hitler overpowers any aesthetic merit they might have.

B) They’re just ugly.

I suspect it’s B but difficult to be sure.

• Lenderz says:

Definitely A, was a really popular style before he ruined it for the rest of us.

• Khemm says:

It’s the same with the swastika – a symbol used in many cultures, now doomed to be condemned for being “nazi”, which is not true.

• His Dudeness says:

The only culture where it is prominent is in Hinduism afaik, where it is displayed as a symbol for good luck on many building, temples and other art work. But the Hindu symbol is actually a mirror image of the swastika making therefore the swastika a genuine symbol of German fascism.

• Lias says:

I actually saw a young man with this style of moustache in Islington today. I assume he was trying to ‘bring it back’ or some such rubbish. It didn’t look good.

• His Dudeness says:

Just take a look at Bob Mugabe. ’tis has been his choice of tache for decades and that’s not were the similarities end…

• pwalnuts says:

I always hope to see some scamp grow an Adolf moustache for Movember. Never happens though.

12. Stevostin says:

Sniper game third person shooter. God helps us !

13. PitfireX says:

This looks terrible compared to the first game…. way too run and gun and easy….why are gamers today such morons that need soo many handicaps?

• rapier17 says:

Reminds me very much of the first game, which did have a lot of run & gun in it – the game could be completed on easiest without really having to use a scoped rifle – just load up the MP40 and off you went.

However if the stealth works this time around, and it is customisable as to what can be enabled/disabled (such as being able to remove the red diamond when he took the shot), it could be a good successor, so long as the ‘run & gun’ is kept to a minimum.

If I recall correctly the PC version is being built seperately to the console version, so there’s hope that this will be well optimised for keyboard & mouse. Fingers crossed, eh?

14. Dozer says:

Thanks for standing still, wanker!

Will there be jarate DLC? Please let there be jarate DLC.

15. Dreforian says:

Am I the only one who saw the “Let’s Kill Hitler” tag and immediately thought of Doctor Who?

16. Navagon says:

Why does damn near every sniper game have you playing at being a super soldier? It’s blatant pandering to a wider market like that which ultimately means it won’t appeal to anyone.

Comment on this story