Listen! The Rock, Paper, Shotcast Sputters Into Life

By Alec Meer on March 21st, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Jim, uploading the podcast, yesterday
The Electronic Wireless Show is dead. Long live the Rock, Paper, Shotcast.

Brand new! In theory weekly! More confused than ever because we thought conducting it via Skype was a good idea!

Jim, John and Alec are your talking-all-over-each-other hosts in this inaugural Shotcast. Discussed – videogames, mostly. Videogames like Wasteland 2, Diablo III, Mass Effect 3, Rochard, City of Heroes, Sins of A Dark Age, Natural Selection 2 and The Secret World. Also height, hair, crying, hot drinks and why John still can’t accept that he’s a bad healer even after all these years.

Right, if you’d like to listen to it right here, right now, here you go:

If you’d like to download it directly to some manner of device or just because you like keeping things, here you go.

Alternatively, you can grab it and former episodes of the late Electronic Wireless Show here. And, if you’d like to subscribe via iTunes (the worst piece of software in the known world), hopefully this should work. But it may not, because it’s gone wrong in the past. We’ll find some hammers to hit it with if it’s still playing up though.

, , .

felisc says:

! Nice ! This will be my radio show for breakfast tomorrow. So i guess adam smith is shy ? Or is his voice of such purity that it would shatter our ears and melt our brains ?

2. squareking says:

A podcast reboot? Likely as a cover-based FPS. Oh dear.

But…why is the Electronic Wireless Show no more?

• Dozer says:

Rock, Paper, Shotcast is a much better name.

• Gnoupi says:

I expect Paradox to release a version of the podcast, better, closer to the original, named Computerized Cordless Representation, in the coming months.

• Alec Meer says:

This is shorter but more regular, is the idea. Like firing bullets out of a gun, or something. No, not really like that. It’s more for our own benefit really – the old show, the perceived difficulty in recording new episodes and the embarrassment that we hand’t felt like a bit of an albatross, so a reboot seemed like the way to go.

3. OJSlaughter says:

The quality! Dear god the quality!

Hopefully your honeyed words will shine through although I am distrustful of this being weekly!

Henke says:

There’s some slight echoy stuff going on in the background, but other than that it sounded just fine to me.

4. Verio says:

Yes yes but where can I download a transcript…

• Apples says:

If they make a transcript they should faithfully transcribe every instance of someone laughing, like a proper RPS interview.

• McDan says:

Now THAT would be excellent, until someone puts the time in these words coming out of my screen will do me fine.

• MikoSquiz says:

I assume there won’t be one, so I was wondering if anyone knows a speech-to-text transcription program that’s any good.

• Alec Meer says:

Anyone is welcome to transcribe it and share it in comments or something, but we’re not gonna do it ourselves as that’s like three hours a week we wouldn’t be getting back in a hurry.

5. Berzee says:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    I’ve wanted one of these for a while, but I didn’t want to ask for it because if by some chance I forget to listen to it, I’d feel like a jerk.
    But now that it has appeared on its own — yaaaaaay!

6. Berzee says:

“the worst piece of software in the known world”

I have used the operating system known as TabWorks (where instead of folders you had tabs with words that were actually ROTATED NINETY DEGREES so you had to read them SIDEWAYS) and I STILL agree with your assessment of iTunes.

7. Jams O'Donnell says:

This name is abysmal! Unleash the name-nominating hounds!

Durkonkell says:

Noooooooooo! Not the Electronic Wireless Show! Replaced with yet another “Website Name with the ending bit replaced with Cast” type title.

On the other hand, more frequent podcasts, which is good.

I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO THINK!

9. DXN says:

10. Skusey says:

Wooo! I missed these, lots.

11. DiamondDog says:

I tried not to visualise it, I promise you, but I now have a mental image of John’s hairy back and shoulders burnt into my mind.

Help.

12. Nickless_One says:

Could we have a video? I have trouble following who’s saying what when there is more than two people speaking… Or is there some reason why this is audio only? Are you in reality some horribly disfigured monsters? or wanted criminals afraid of showing their faces in public? or just shy? awww are you shy? :P

Hodge says:

A good way to make the voices easier to hear would be to spread them across the stereo spectrum. Depending on how they’re recording it, it might require each Shotgunner to locally record just the ‘mic in’ signal on his/her computer, with the resulting recordings mixed together later on.

Or maybe it’s possible to pan the voices with Skype, which would be much easier. I don’t know, it’s been ages since I used it.

Smashbox says:

I strongly disagree. Podcast talk shows make way more sense in mono, as you’re not required to unnecessarily wear two headphones.

• Edawan says:

You might like listening with just one speaker, but I like being able to tell who’s talking. One does not make “way more sense” than the other.

• Edawan says:

+1 for a stereo mix !

• Reddin says:

Stereo podcasts are a terrible idea, which is why no-one does it.

• alseT says:

+1 on video request. The Game Station Podcast with TotalBiscuit is a lot easier to follow with video, though it also helps that the speakers have different accents/genders.

13. Alexander Norris says:

Bring back Kieron Gillen for these (preferably hungover Kieron Gillen).

liquidsoap89 says:

Is there an RSS link I can find somewhere? I’d like to add this to my Zune.

15. The Army of None says:

HUZZAHHHHHHHH. Looking forward to listening to this later today! :)

16. Jahandar says:

Yeah, I’d definitely love to subscribe via RSS so I don’t have to use the aforementioned worst software ever made. I listen to podcasts on my Android phone and would love to add this to my playlist.

Hodge says:

The old RSS feed is still working – I used it for all the old ones and I never had a problem with it.

EDIT: That was a reply to a comment which has now disappeared. Oh well – I guess the sentiment still stands.

17. Jams O'Donnell says:

Mister Walker’s “Hi” at 0:09 sounds like Abe.

18. zergrush says:

There is a severe lack of Adam Smith on this podcast. Hope you guys get it fixed for the next one.

19. airtekh says:

I’m assuming there are spoilers for Mass Effect 3 in the podcast, yes?

• Hoaxfish says:

not really, unless you think Garrus being in the game is a spoiler

20. RagingLion says:

Thank the heavens!

Listening to podcasts is one of my main ways of ingesting gaming opinions and even very recently I was thinking what a shame it was that the set of people who’s writing I perhaps appreciate most and who’s views align with my own remain absent from the podcast scene. This is pleasing! (I might need to cull some other subscribed-to gaming podcasts now since I’ve found some other suitors just recently in RPS’s absence).

21. Khemm says:

Your accent – it’s so refreshingly BRITISH. No really, it’s nice to hear something that isn’t American English for a change.

• Hidden Thousand says:

Ah, yes, I agree wholeheartedly. For quite some time I’ve been dreaming of a podcast where people I like would talk about something I find interesting…in British English.

Keymonk says:

Is there no way to stream this? :(

23. Scoops says:

You guys make me miss my UK friends… the only ones who could keep up with my witty banter… Why was I cursed with American heritage!?!?

24. Paul says:

I already have 30+ idle thumbs to listen to….dammit.

Also, I tried to listen to you, but damn that accent is much harder to understand for me. All those US shows and games made me so accustomed to US one..

bear912 says:

Have you lost Adam? I think you should go find him as well.

Also, I hereby request guest shows, where you invite on former RPSers, such as Quinns and Kieron to join in the fun.

26. esoltys says:

Latest episode not showing in iTunes yet and they list your company name as “Rock, Paper, Shogtun Ltd” in the sidebar.

27. Surgeon says:

That Jim lady is mighty fine.
    I wouldn’t mind helping with her uploads some time.

Gap Gen says:

Talk, Prattle, Shoutgun?

29. Berzee says:

That was quite enjoyable.

30. Cryptoshrimp says:

Oh gee, yes. Lovely that this is comming back. However, I’m going to be a killjoy and say I liked the Electronic Wireless Show better as a name, but hey, you people talking about stuff is good under any name.

31. Vorrin says:

this was very nice, well done, please make more :)

JB says:

Dear Sirs,

Please do go on and make a podcast about hot drinks. Many thanks.

Intrigued, Berkshire.

33. faillord_adam says:

I sense a lack of RSS for non iTunes users…

And the comment below me just answered that.

34. terry says:

I fully endorse this occurance.

35. Tei says:

I am hearing this now, and I feel like a englishmen. With Two Monocles. Two bad I don’t understand english :-], but sounds funny :D

piratmonkey says:

I never listened to the EWS but your voices are nothing like the ones I’d conjured up in my head; John’s is much more strangely seductive.

37. Amnesiac says:

I’d love to hear RPS talk about Journey.

I played it through before playing Mass Effect 3 and have been constantly amazed how much more I cared for my robed companion than any of the characters helping me fight the reapers.

38. Frank says:

Hey now, I hate Apple as much as the next guy (in fact, probably much, much more), but iTunes is excellent software. Its only faults are not playing more file types, being associated with an awful company and duplicating library/database entries left and right.

• LionsPhil says:

…also being a heaving pile of shite.

One of its most amusing failures would be a friend leaving it playing a playlist before plugging in their iProduct to be upgraded. This latter, lengthy action locked the interface, while still carrying out the former, leaving them with their Mac blaring out music that they couldn’t pause, stop, or change.

Quality software.

The annoying thing is that WMP and whatever rewrite of Banshee or Amarok the Linux world is using this week manage to be worse at actually managing a library. This despite iTunes writing half your metadata into its own proprietary database rather than the actual embedded ID3 tags. Gah.

• YourMessageHere says:

“duplicating library/database entries left and right”

Yes, it does that. So, it utterly fails at the one thing it is intended to do: organise your music. My wife’s iChoonz has duplicate entries for every single audio file on her PC; some have two duplicates. I have no idea why, and I have no idea how to fix this.

Let’s not forget:

-it’s slow as hell
      -it’s ugly
      -it’s completely counterintuitive to use for actual organisation.
      -there is absolutely no reason to use it now that other things are capable of interfacing with iPoods.

39. alice says:

You guys should record yourselves locally (in Audacity) and just dump all three audio streams together afterward (while still talking on Skype). This takes maybe 20 minutes of work per episode max and will yield much better sound quality.

• John Walker says:

That’s exactly what we did, and it proves to be a complete nightmare. Jim and I both picked up the other voices faintly, meaning when I laced us together there was horrible echo everywhere. I had to go through all three streams noise-removing each other’s voices as best I could, resulting in the horrible quality, and still leaving a bunch of echo all over the place.

I think we’re going to have to invest in some really decent quality headphones that don’t leak sound, and some fancy mics, if we’re ever going to get this sounding halfway decent, and not making it a horrible chore to edit together.

40. dsch says:

John sounds completely different to what I’d expected!

AndrewC says:

I *really* need to know how you thought he’d sound. This isn’t a trap or a joke or anything. And John doesn’t read the comments anyway, because he is a deeply selfish man, so you can be honest.

What voice did you have in your head?

• dsch says:

With rather more gravitas, perhaps. I actually thought his voice was Alec. This is going to completely change how I read their posts now.

• LionsPhil says:

I can’t listen to these, since they may rock my notion that he sounds like Sterling Holloway doing the voice of Winnie the Pooh.

41. Skabooga says:

Good stuff, most enjoyable to listen too. Conversational pieces like this nicely compliment your more formal articles.

42. Lenderz says:

Please bring out your iTunes hammers, as a oft scorned iDevice user I do appreciate iTunes actually managing my podcasts and the latest isn’t appearing yet. For some reason.

And yes I think iTunes for windows is awful at doing the thing I want it to do for me, manage my media, the hours I’ve wasted correcting its random entry duplication drives me nuts. But hey iCloud is pretty useful when you’ve got 65 gig of music.

Edit : Never mind, despite not showing in the list of casts if you subscribe in iTunes it actually downloads the latest Shotcast.

43. KingKrapp says:

Listened to it while I was out and about today, very good stuff!

Looking forward to the next one.

44. Hasslmaster says:

Dear RPS, please notice that spammers have now gone to copy existing coments and add their malware links underneath. So please if you find a mildly sensible comment with a short garbled link underneath, feel free to delete it.

45. lynn_kraken says:

Decaf – really? Whats the next heresy? Low-fat muffins?

alexheretic says:

“…the game landed on UK shores last week. I’ve been spending some time with her and this is Rock Paper Shot I Think.”

47. YourMessageHere says:

Very enjoyable (if a bit short), except for one thing. I’m sorry to gripe but this is something that absolutely infuriates me. Now, I don’t know who it was, I was busy cleaning bookshelves at the time, but one of you pronounced ‘nuclear’ as ‘new-cue-lah’. That is not only completely, utterly wrong, it’s also totally obvious that it’s wrong. The word ‘clear’, with ‘new’ in front; that is how you say it. You’re sensible people. Please make an effort to sound like it, and not like George Bush.

48. Madlukelcm says:

I was so hoping one of you sounded like Morgan Freeman.

49. ChainsawCharlie says:

Not lot of stucture or length. Still, looking forward to some more of this.